Fred Taylor out indefinitely - Ankle Surgery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Fred Taylor out indefinitely - Ankle Surgery

In Response to Re: Fred Taylor out indefinitely - Ankle Surgery:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fred Taylor out indefinitely - Ankle Surgery : I think it says more about the Patriots' style of play than it does about the players themselves.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Well Said! We gather hard nose football players who are physical and are usually veterans! Hence still being the oldest average team in the league, even after the off season youth movement. Pretty much the reason we are one of the deeper teams in the league at every position. Just like we have been more often then not for the last 8 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

this hurts, just not as bad as ESPN makes it seem. Anyone forget the run game last season? that wasn't too shabby. I seen on ESPN where it said "Fragile Fred" which is a pretty lame nickname, he consistently ran for 1,000 + yard seasons and if he did that while missing some games becuase he was "fragile" then he can really get it done. Kinda like some people talk about Maroney on here, sounds just like what ESPN would say.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

One step closer to totally screwd...

If they go into the post season, with Maroney as their only, or best, healthy option at RB... then get ready for some heartbreak, cause 2009 will end like 2006 and 2007 did... with that prancing pssy being a no-show when they need him most.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I wanted to know if anyone else was seeing the same thing I was, so I'm re-posting this from the "Laura Maroney" board:

As a somewhat more educated casual viewer, I'm almost certain they run this play to Maroney more than half of the time from the same personnel set (11 - 1 tight end, 1 running back):

By my count, 3 or 4 of Maroney's 7 carries against the Ravens were this exact play.

And I really do think the line gets their a**es handed to them almost every time.  I think it's gotten so predictable that they're going to run this play when Maroney is in the game that it's easy for defenses to defend.  If the line fires off the line of scrimmage and flow goes in one or the other direction, the play is obvious.  

Faulk and Taylor have had a lot of their success running from the shotgun formation on draws or in passing situations.  I also noticed that Maroney has more success on play calls that are straight ahead runs (3-4yds/carry).  

I think at the very least they should start running counters.  I haven't seen one counter all year.  At the rate that they're getting defenses to bite on the stretch play, they should at least run a counter to make them pay for overplaying to one side of the field.  I'd also like to see them incorporate more of the reverse or reverse fake like the reverse they ran to Edelman from the same formation in Week 3 against the Falcons.  But even more importantly, I'd like to see Maroney get opportunities to run in other formations in non-running situations to see what he can do.  I also like him in space, especially after he made that linebacker miss on his run-and-catch last week.  I'd like to see if he can split out wide like Morris did, catch the ball, and make someone miss (or use his stiff arm, which is an excellent stiff arm).

Yes, I think Maroney should cut it up the field and get what he can (Taylor has had a couple carries this year where he managed to make himself small by turning his body kind of sideways and getting the 2-3 yds that were there), but no I don't think the fault is entirely his.  I think it also falls on the line to execute their zone blocking (which is when the whole line steps in the same direction and then blocks whoever is in front of them; I'm almost certain that this is the blocking scheme when the Patriots run their version of the stretch play) and on the play calling (something other than that same stretch play) to help give Maroney no excuses.

By the way, from what I saw, Taylor got injured on that same stretch play.  He lost 2 yards.  It was the third quarter.  I don't think it was just Maroney getting killed by that play.

Also, the Patriots ran a few play action passes with Maroney in the backfield last week against the Ravens with a lot of success (at least three completions by my count, and at least two for first downs), and I think part of the success was the apparent obviousness of Maroney getting the ball when he's on the field in single back formation.  Brady's return to form will force defenses to play more honestly, which should open up running room for everybody.

Either way, it's important for whoever carries the ball this week to take what's there immediately because the Broncos' front seven is evidently very fast - if so, then they'll rally to the ball if there's any hesitation. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Anybody who believed Taylor would get through the season without being hampered by some sort of injury has clearly forgotten who Fred is. More than four games would have been nice, but there was no way this guy was going to be around in crunch time. I guess the only positive I see here is that maybe the injury is less severe than has been reported and Taylor could potentially recuperate in time to get hurt again in January.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from noncallcity. Show noncallcity's posts

I agree with your analysis NickC.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]I wanted to know if anyone else was seeing the same thing I was, so I'm re-posting this from the "Laura Maroney" board: As a somewhat more educated casual viewer, I'm almost certain they run this play to Maroney more than half of the time from the same personnel set (11 - 1 tight end, 1 running back): http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2005/11/colts-stretch-play.html By my count, 3 or 4 of Maroney's 7 carries against the Ravens were this exact play. And I really do think the line gets their a**es handed to them almost every time.  I think it's gotten so predictable that they're going to run this play when Maroney is in the game that it's easy for defenses to defend.  If the line fires off the line of scrimmage and flow goes in one or the other direction, the play is obvious.   Faulk and Taylor have had a lot of their success running from the shotgun formation on draws or in passing situations.  I also noticed that Maroney has more success on play calls that are straight ahead runs (3-4yds/carry).   I think at the very least they should start running counters.  I haven't seen one counter all year.  At the rate that they're getting defenses to bite on the stretch play, they should at least run a counter to make them pay for overplaying to one side of the field.  I'd also like to see them incorporate more of the reverse or reverse fake like the reverse they ran to Edelman from the same formation in Week 3 against the Falcons.  But even more importantly, I'd like to see Maroney get opportunities to run in other formations in non-running situations to see what he can do.  I also like him in space, especially after he made that linebacker miss on his run-and-catch last week.  I'd like to see if he can split out wide like Morris did, catch the ball, and make someone miss (or use his stiff arm, which is an excellent stiff arm). Yes, I think Maroney should cut it up the field and get what he can (Taylor has had a couple carries this year where he managed to make himself small by turning his body kind of sideways and getting the 2-3 yds that were there), but no I don't think the fault is entirely his.  I think it also falls on the line to execute their zone blocking (which is when the whole line steps in the same direction and then blocks whoever is in front of them; I'm almost certain that this is the blocking scheme when the Patriots run their version of the stretch play) and on the play calling (something other than that same stretch play) to help give Maroney no excuses. By the way, from what I saw, Taylor got injured on that same stretch play.  He lost 2 yards.  It was the third quarter.  I don't think it was just Maroney getting killed by that play. Also, the Patriots ran a few play action passes with Maroney in the backfield last week against the Ravens with a lot of success (at least three completions by my count, and at least two for first downs), and I think part of the success was the apparent obviousness of Maroney getting the ball when he's on the field in single back formation.  Brady's return to form will force defenses to play more honestly, which should open up running room for everybody. Either way, it's important for whoever carries the ball this week to take what's there immediately because the Broncos' front seven is evidently very fast - if so, then they'll rally to the ball if there's any hesitation. 

I agree with you 100%. We put maroney in on the opening drive and run him out of the same formations. He seldom gets a chance to even play later in the game. Then we bring in Taylor/Morris Faulk to run draws and get different looks. Great call on counters as well, it would seem this would play to Maroneys skill set more then running him up the middle(although Im sure the coaches do this to help set up the play action as well).

I don't understand the Maroney haters at all. The man is part of a committee. Why would anybody want him traded or benched when he is the youngest most athletic part of a rb committee? Maroney will be running for us in the second half of the season when Morris(32) starts to break down, and Taylor unfortunetly already has broken down. It seems clear to me this was our plan for the year. Use Maroney sparingly and save him for second half!

Great call on counter

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]I don't understand the Maroney haters at all. The man is part of a committee. Why would anybody want him traded or benched when he is the youngest most athletic part of a rb committee? Maroney will be running for us in the second half of the season when Morris(32) starts to break down, and Taylor unfortunetly already has broken down. It seems clear to me this was our plan for the year. Use Maroney sparingly and save him for second half! Great call on counter
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Maroney was acquired to negate having to sign all of these other RB's.  However, he hasn't been able to stay on the field and/or fulfill the job requirements.  Ergo, people get peeved that the team squandered their pick; have to take the cap hit on others and absorb the inconsistencies associated with all of th roster moves.  In a nutshell: The fans simply hoped the team might spend the high pick to aquire an RB that could do the job, as needed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fred Taylor out indefinitely - Ankle Surgery : Maroney was acquired to negate having to sign all of these other RB's.  However, he hasn't been able to stay on the field and/or fulfill the job requirements.  Ergo, people get peeved that the team squandered their pick; have to take the cap hit on others and absorb the inconsistencies associated with all of th roster moves.  In a nutshell: The fans simply hoped the team might spend the high pick to aquire an RB that could do the job, as needed.
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]

OH I guess Belichick and the coaching staff left me out of the meeting where they told you that the Maroney pick was going to secure the future at the rb position and we would never have to sign a rb again. I'm not sure if you've noticed but the physicality of the NFL has left teams no choice but to abandon the 1 man running game. Recent history has clearly told us that one man cannot consistently get hit by 260 # LB's who run 4.5 40's. See Shawn Alexander,Larry Johnson,Priest Holmes,soon to be Michael Turner and probably Adrian Peterson. 

Somebody tell me if I'm wrong here but the last time we gave Maroney a sufficient amount of carries he delivered with 5 or 6 100 yard games in a row to close out the 07 season! This year we have given him 7 carries a game! Thats 7 carries a game and almost all on opening drives.

With an aging K Faulk who is always a key to our offense I do not believe Maroney was ever going to be our only rb.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]Well that was worth $3.5 million of salary cap.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Happens.  Sometimes it's a matter of odds -- 1 game, 8 games, 16 games.  No, 33 year old running backs don't last forever, but while Taylor was on the field he made a difference.  Ask Atlanta.  And Taylor had some part in Baltimore losing their tiebreaker to the Patriots.

Brady was out all last year except for a very few plays in the first game.  That was what, $15 million of salary cap?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

I hope he can return at least two games before de playoffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]By my count, 3 or 4 of Maroney's 7 carries against the Ravens were this exact play. And I really do think the line gets their a**es handed to them almost every time.  I think it's gotten so predictable that they're going to run this play when Maroney is in the game that it's easy for defenses to defend.  If the line fires off the line of scrimmage and flow goes in one or the other direction, the play is obvious.   Faulk and Taylor have had a lot of their success running from the shotgun formation on draws or in passing situations.  I also noticed that Maroney has more success on play calls that are straight ahead runs (3-4yds/carry).   I think at the very least they should start running counters.  I haven't seen one counter all year.  At the rate that they're getting defenses to bite on the stretch play, they should at least run a counter to make them pay for overplaying to one side of the field.  I'd also like to see them incorporate more of the reverse or reverse fake like the reverse they ran to Edelman from the same formation in Week 3 against the Falcons.  But even more importantly, I'd like to see Maroney get opportunities to run in other formations in non-running situations to see what he can do.  I also like him in space, especially after he made that linebacker miss on his run-and-catch last week.  I'd like to see if he can split out wide like Morris did, catch the ball, and make someone miss (or use his stiff arm, which is an excellent stiff arm). Yes, I think Maroney should cut it up the field and get what he can (Taylor has had a couple carries this year where he managed to make himself small by turning his body kind of sideways and getting the 2-3 yds that were there), but no I don't think the fault is entirely his.  I think it also falls on the line to execute their zone blocking (which is when the whole line steps in the same direction and then blocks whoever is in front of them; I'm almost certain that this is the blocking scheme when the Patriots run their version of the stretch play) and on the play calling (something other than that same stretch play) to help give Maroney no excuses. By the way, from what I saw, Taylor got injured on that same stretch play.  He lost 2 yards.  It was the third quarter.  I don't think it was just Maroney getting killed by that play. Also, the Patriots ran a few play action passes with Maroney in the backfield last week against the Ravens with a lot of success (at least three completions by my count, and at least two for first downs), and I think part of the success was the apparent obviousness of Maroney getting the ball when he's on the field in single back formation.  Brady's return to form will force defenses to play more honestly, which should open up running room for everybody. Either way, it's important for whoever carries the ball this week to take what's there immediately because the Broncos' front seven is evidently very fast - if so, then they'll rally to the ball if there's any hesitation. 

It's easy for Maroney bashers to tell Maroney to drop his shoulder and punish defenders, but it would be shortsighted given the team goals.  Keep our best weapon out of the backfield healthy for December beyond... 

You and Truechamp make so much sense it gives me hope for mankind.  I don't want to harp on it, but as impressive as Charlie Weiss was in the passing game he was that much more impressive with his running attack.  Counters, no look pitches, quaterback sneaks, semi legal crackback blocks, end arounds and draw plays with Faulk... he had a running game to keep em guessing.

Bill can't keep an offensive coordinator around long enough to train them in what he likes before some owner is handing them the keys to their own team.  I'd like to see Sammy Morris get his shot now, on another team he would be the 1A back and he should last the rest of the regular season with a dash of LawFirm and Maroney.  As long as whichever back getting the bulk of the carries is averaging around 4-5 yards a carry it doesn't matter who starts.

In 2007, Maroney had five 100-yard rushing games, including two in the playoffs. His five 100-yard games were the most for a Patriot since Corey Dillon tied the franchise record with nine 100-yard performances in 2004. 

Some people can't see past the end of their nose...