Free 6th Round Pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Re: Free 6th Round Pick

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

The downside of this move is exactly what?  Huge potential with as close to zero risk as it gets.

There's no downside to this move whatsoever but huge potential? Why was he drafted in the 6th round then?

^this..

even though the RB position has been devalued,THIS GUY IS A 6TH ROUND DRAFT CHOICE !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Let's not get too giddy.    The memory of Jake Ballard is still fresh.

If this was a major coup some team before the Pats on the waiver order would have snagged him.

[object HTMLDivElement]

This. He was a 6th round pick that other teams passed on him in waivers. Lets not start crowning him anyones replacement until he actually comes back from the injury and can prove he's more valuable then most 6th round picks please.

Zero downside to the pickup overall but lets not turn the kid into Ridleys replacement quite yet nor even think he'll be around past next year camp (given history of these types of pick ups odds are against him)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Agree that the verdict will be out on this kid a year or more from now, but he is intriguing nonetheless.  I had him rated higher than both White and Houston on my draft thread because he is physically more impressive.  He is faster, both inline and laterally, than both Ridley and Bolden as well as bigger.  His senior season stats at Stanford were amazing.  

RB's aren't highly valued in the draft because there are so many capable ones, Stevan was only a 3rd round pick, Bolden undrafted, LawFirm undrafted... I don't consider where someone was drafted as an indicator of anything.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Agree that the verdict will be out on this kid a year or more from now, but he is intriguing nonetheless.  I had him rated higher than both White and Houston on my draft thread because he is physically more impressive.  He is faster, both inline and laterally, than both Ridley and Bolden as well as bigger.  His senior season stats at Stanford were amazing.  

RB's aren't highly valued in the draft because there are so many capable ones, Stevan was only a 3rd round pick, Bolden undrafted, LawFirm undrafted... I don't consider where someone was drafted as an indicator of anything.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I consider it a little barring. I do agree there really aren't top 20 RB's anymore as the league has moved away from it but there is a pretty big difference between the Ridley's of the world and the BJGE and Bolden's. BJGE is a solid RB who puts up decent numbers with high reps but I wouldn't call him a game breaker or special in the league. For UDFA's he was a great find but when comparing him to the rest of the RB's in the draft I wouldn't put him up there with Rice, Forte, Stewart's that you found in the early rounds. Bolden's a good ST player but as a RB he's not that good. Truth is with RB's you will find some good one's in the later rounds but really once you start to get into the back of the draft and UDFA territory you are more likely to go empty handed than you are to stick it rich.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to ronk1's comment:

Sudfeld

Sudfeld made the team out of camp precisely so something like this wouldn't happen.  They didn't expect to be able to put him on the PS.  They decided in season that it wasn't worth the roster spot to keep him so they cut him.  That is nothing like what happened in the case of Gaffney.  All the Panthers had to do was wait until they were allowed to place him on IR without waiving him, but they got greedy and didn't want to use one of their 90 roster spots on him so they tried to sneak him onto IR via waivers.  BB took advantage.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

And for those of you that are mentioning Ballard it is worth pointing out that Gaffney's injury is far less serious than Ballard's was.  The kid might not pan out, but I don't think it will be because of the injury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Sudfeld

Sudfeld made the team out of camp precisely so something like this wouldn't happen.  They didn't expect to be able to put him on the PS.  They decided in season that it wasn't worth the roster spot to keep him so they cut him.  That is nothing like what happened in the case of Gaffney.  All the Panthers had to do was wait until they were allowed to place him on IR without waiving him, but they got greedy and didn't want to use one of their 90 roster spots on him so they tried to sneak him onto IR via waivers.  BB took advantage.

I do not agree. They wished they had put him on PS, but they were very shorthanded. He did have PS availability, but the Jets took him, so that was that

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

And for those of you that are mentioning Ballard it is worth pointing out that Gaffney's injury is far less serious than Ballard's was.  The kid might not pan out, but I don't think it will be because of the injury.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think the comparison was more that both were injured and both tried to be placed respectively on IR. It's more similar than say Mark Harrison in the end. However, Harrison talent wise might be the end comparison because with Ballard we did see what he could do on the field first where as Harrison was just a bit of a gamble after the Bears cut him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

The downside of this move is exactly what?  Huge potential with as close to zero risk as it gets.

There's no downside to this move whatsoever but huge potential? Why was he drafted in the 6th round then?

Why was bust powell drafted in the 5th?  Has mike goodson shown up yet, busty?

wut?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Ridley, Vereen and Bolden will be free agents and this guy will have a chance of replacing one of them next year . . . at Stanford he had a great rep as a blocking back for the QB and as a work horse when needed . . . 45 carries against Oregon.  Someone asked why he went in the 6th round . . . well one of the reasons is he is a very good baseball player and may try playing both and most teams do not want to deal with this.   Great move by BB and all it cost is a slot on the 90 man roster . . .  Panthers even had to pay this guys bonus!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

^this..

even though the RB position has been devalued,THIS GUY IS A 6TH ROUND DRAFT CHOICE !!!

So was Tom Brady.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Sudfeld

I do not agree. They wished they had put him on PS, but they were very shorthanded. He did have PS availability, but the Jets took him, so that was that

[object HTMLDivElement]

Agreed! It was a subject of topic with Reiss.  They wanted to stash him.

Then there was TJ Moe.

And all the others previously mentioned and not mentioned.

It happens all the time.  You take a chance cutting anyone, hoping the injured revert back to you and or PS, guys, too.

Beebee did not invent it nor is he the master. As stated, he had the wool pulled over, too.

He just happens to need 3 RB's next year as they are all FA's.  Awesome

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

^this..

So was Tom Brady.

thats an awful comparison. I know you like to be super optimistic about everyone and that's fine but I prefer to be realistic. Very few 6th rounders make it in this league let alone become stars with huge potential.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

^this..

So was Tom Brady.

thats an awful comparison. I know you like to be super optimistic about everyone and that's fine but I prefer to be realistic. Very few 6th rounders make it in this league let alone become stars with huge potential.

Don't mean to stick my nose in here but there is value to be found in the 6th round.... over the last 5-10 years you have guys like Branden Myers, Alfred Morris, Jon Sullivan, Jason McCourty,  Greg Hardy, Antonio Brown to name a few.

You won't build a 53 man roster in the 6th round but you can certainly find quality talent there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Don't mean to stick my nose in here but there is value to be found in the 6th round.... over the last 5-10 years you have guys like Branden Myers, Alfred Morris, Jon Sullivan, Jason McCourty,  Greg Hardy, Antonio Brown to name a few.

You won't build a 53 man roster in the 6th round but you can certainly find quality talent there.

I agree it's possible but it's quite rare and expectations should not be too high for this guy. There is probably one or two 6th rounders a year that become solid contributors and the Pats got 4 of them this year so odds are in their favor to find at least one player. Let's hope for the best

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Panthers | Tyler Gaffney making good first impression

Carolina Panthers RB Tyler Gaffney has earned praise from the coaching staff for his ability in blitz pickup and familiarity with the team's power running scheme, according to Max Henson of Panthers.com.

2014-07-08 18:26:20 | Source: Panthers.com - Max Henson

++++++++++++++++++

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2014/5/15/5721464/upon-further-review-why-tyler-gaffney-is-the-perfect-fit-for-the" rel="nofollow">http://www.catscratchreader.com/2014/5/15/5721464/upon-further-review-why-tyler-gaffney-is-the-perfect-fit-for-the

Davis was arguably the best running back to ever suit up for the Carolina Panthers, leading them to their lone Super Bowl appearance in 2003.

Why Battle and Davis? All three running backs have the same build, strengths, and limitations. All three can be described as tough, patient inside runners that thrive on contact. They all do not have "wiggle," and would not be expected to elude defenders. They all do a lot of things right, but none of them spectacularly.

Unique to Battle and Davis, however, is Gaffney’s potential breakaway speed. While I did not see it dramatically on tape, he did have some plays where he was able to peel away from the defense. At the combine, Gaffney posted an eye-popping 4.49 40-yard dash and had the second-highest 3-cone drill time amongst running backs. The measurables and potential are there for sure.

It is the hope that after the 2014 season, Gaffney can slide right into the role of a bruising back that can get the tough yards when needed. Ideally, he can develop into a Stephen Davis or even an Alfred Morris type: one that is not going to be routinely featured on SportsCenter, but is instead a reliable, steady weapon on a playoff team.

Based on his combine performance and two-sport experience, Gaffney has the potential to be the dynamic, tough running back that the current Panthers offense requires.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

^this..

So was Tom Brady.

Kindly get real.  I rarely demonstrate the kind of optimism you attribute to me.  And all I indicated was that this move cost the Pats zippo with a potential for some serious upside.  We truly are approaching tempest in a teapot territory here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

I agree it's possible but it's quite rare and expectations should not be too high for this guy. There is probably one or two 6th rounders a year that become solid contributors and the Pats got 4 of them this year so odds are in their favor to find at least one player. Let's hope for the best

I don't think you will see much from him this year but I think if they can teach Zach Moore technique and the nuances of playing DE I think this kid can be a steal in the 6th round. It's always dicey when there is physical athletic talent and you have to try and translate that into football talent.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Panthers | Tyler Gaffney making good first impression

Carolina Panthers RB Tyler Gaffney has earned praise from the coaching staff for his ability in blitz pickup and familiarity with the team's power running scheme, according to Max Henson of Panthers.com.

2014-07-08 18:26:20 | Source: Panthers.com - Max Henson

++++++++++++++++++

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2014/5/15/5721464/upon-further-review-why-tyler-gaffney-is-the-perfect-fit-for-the" rel="nofollow">http://www.catscratchreader.com/2014/5/15/5721464/upon-further-review-why-tyler-gaffney-is-the-perfect-fit-for-the" rel="nofollow">http://www.catscratchreader.com/2014/5/15/5721464/upon-further-review-why-tyler-gaffney-is-the-perfect-fit-for-the

Davis was arguably the best running back to ever suit up for the Carolina Panthers, leading them to their lone Super Bowl appearance in 2003.

Why Battle and Davis? All three running backs have the same build, strengths, and limitations. All three can be described as tough, patient inside runners that thrive on contact. They all do not have "wiggle," and would not be expected to elude defenders. They all do a lot of things right, but none of them spectacularly.

Unique to Battle and Davis, however, is Gaffney’s potential breakaway speed. While I did not see it dramatically on tape, he did have some plays where he was able to peel away from the defense. At the combine, Gaffney posted an eye-popping 4.49 40-yard dash and had the second-highest 3-cone drill time amongst running backs. The measurables and potential are there for sure.

It is the hope that after the 2014 season, Gaffney can slide right into the role of a bruising back that can get the tough yards when needed. Ideally, he can develop into a Stephen Davis or even an Alfred Morris type: one that is not going to be routinely featured on SportsCenter, but is instead a reliable, steady weapon on a playoff team.

Based on his combine performance and two-sport experience, Gaffney has the potential to be the dynamic, tough running back that the current Panthers offense requires.

I can't believe you didn't see his breakaway speed, that was the first thing I noticed, once he was clear he had an extra gear.  That Arian Foster guy was undrafted and didn't turn out too bad.  Funny how the best teams/talent evaluators have a good track record with UDFA's and poor teams don't.  The reality of the draft is every team's board looks different, the talking heads on TV feel they need to rate everyone and hardly ever step outside the box.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:

BB is incredible! I wonder if this will work out like that brilliant Jake Ballard pick up when the Giants were happy to have the patsies pay his salary for a couple of years. Jake had more catches against the patsies in the superbowl than he did all his time filling in the the murderer. Thanks BB.  A 6th round pick RB out for the year.  Nice pick up.

: )))

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Kindly get real.  I rarely demonstrate the kind of optimism you attribute to me.  

Apologies, friend. My comments have been exaggerated I suppose. No hard feelings.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Kindly get real.  I rarely demonstrate the kind of optimism you attribute to me.  

Apologies, friend. My comments have been exaggerated I suppose. No hard feelings.

None whatsoever.  We just need more news from training camp. 

Sections
Shortcuts