Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets

In Response to Re: Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets : Rumor is TEN will tag Griffin. I think Wayne could be a nice addition on a low cost 1-year deal.  I like Colston a lot as he'd give us a big possession type WR who is also a big option in the red zone.  There are a lot of big receivers on this list and that's the one piece we're missing, tall and fast.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

agree. i wonder if they let colston go.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I think that the pats should target Garcon, really can stretch the field and plays with passion. Hes not affriad of contact and he has improved each year in the NFL. I would try to sign him for 4 or 5 years and then hope Lloyd or Meachem would come here for a 2 or 3 year deal.
    Posted by maine12[/QUOTE]

my thoughts as well maine

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets : I've been thinking Garcon too . . . just seems like the type of guy BB would like.  I don't know what he'd want/get for money.  Eng is right that the rumours are he rejected a 5 yr/$35 million offer from the Colts, but the terms weren't ever disclosed and until you know how much was guaranteed or paid in the early years, you really don't know how good a deal it was or what kind of effect it would have on the cap.  Ideally, the cap hit is a lot less than $7 mill in the first year. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

not to mention a contract with the colts vs a contract with a team that will go deep and has a sb chance next yr.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets : I think Reggie may follow Manning wherever he goes, which I think could be Miami but that's a popular point of view.  I would agree that Wayne would be an upgrade over Branch.  But I doubt he'd come as cheap.  I don't think it makes a lot of sense to dump a ton of cash on a 33 year old receiver.  I think Lloyd still makes sense but at 31 he won't get us much younger.  Some of those younger middle tier guys could make sense and I think a guy like Stephen Hill in the draft could be a smart play at 31.  6-4, 215, 4.33 guys don't grow on trees.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

were on the same guy after the combine.
    i think if hill or wright drops in our lap after we nail a top defensive player at 27, id be highly tempted.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

For receivers, I like Lloyd and that's about it.  I think you're going to pay for past production for Wayne and Colston.  I think Garcon, Manningham, and Meachem are all overrated and inconsistent and will be overpaid.  Vincent Jackson will make too much money for the Pats to be interested.  I get the sense that Robinson will probably stick with Dallas after bouncing around the Rams and Falcons and finally getting comfortable somewhere.  I think the Pats resign Branch and keep Ocho (since they'll pay him half his contract just to let him walk).  If they get Lloyd I'd also like to see them draft a WR in the second round and try and develop him (I'm partial to Alshon Jeffery).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

NFL teams wary of Marques Colston in free agency

Divisional Playoffs - New Orleans Saints v San Francisco 49ersGetty Images

Free agent Marques Colstonhas been one of the NFL’s most productive wide receivers over the past six seasons. He’s averaged 75 catches for 1,040 yards and eight touchdowns per year.

But Colston isn’t your typical “No. 1 receiver.” While blessed with a large catch radius, impressive body control, and ideal size (6-foot-4, 225), Colston does not create separation in the perimeter passing game and has spent much of his career playing slot receiver in the league’s most pass-heavy offense.

According to Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune, “some personnel men” around the NFL have reservations about Colston’s ability to stay so productive in another system. He has played in a dome, and for a team with an annually high-octane offense that racks up yards and points. Colston’s quarterback, Drew Brees, doesn’t miss. He’s led the league in completion rate in three consecutive seasons.

A late-February story from Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe hinted at similar concerns. Citing NFL scouts, Bedard’s report suggested fellow Saints free agent receiver Robert Meachem “could have a bigger impact than Colston elsewhere.” Meachem, of course, has been much less productive than Colston in New Orleans.

Long-term durability is another concern. The free agent has undergone at least six known surgeries in his NFL career, five of which have been on Colston’s knees. He turns 29 in June.

Colson’s is not expected back with the Saints.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Report: Finnegan “recruiting” Vincent Jackson for possible package deal

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Tennessee TitansGetty Images

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that free agent cornerback Cortland Finnegan is actively “recruiting” free agent wideout Vincent Jackson to join Finnegan on his next NFL team. Cole suspects that team is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Finnegan has reportedly been text messaging back and forth with Jackson. The Bucs certainly have the salary cap space to land both players, and Finnegan and Jackson play positions of need in Tampa.

Bucs incumbent No. 1 receiver Mike Williams played more like a No. 2 last season. Arrelious Benn has been a disappointment, unable to break free from a receiver committee with the similarly pedestrian Dezmon BriscoePreston Parker is strictly a slot guy.

With Ronde Barber unsigned for 2012 and considering retirement, Finnegan would be a natural replacement — and upgrade — at right cornerback. Left corner Aqib Talib is in danger of a league-imposed suspension.

The Buccaneers have been criticized for sitting on large amounts of cap space in past offseasons, but they’re publicly committed to opening the pocketbook this spring.

Jackson and Finnegan would be an awfully aggressive way to start.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

I got to rethink this and question why no one talking about Laraunt Robinson. He was awesome with the Cowboys once he got a chance. He makes plays down the field and he's tall enough to go up and catch one. Sometime it takes time for recievers to develope and it looks like Robinson could be the next late bloomer to be an all-star. Hes 6'2 and runs under a 4.4. I would think he would cheap cheap money and if the Pats sign Lloyd and resign Branch he could take his time and learn the offense. This guy could be the steal of FA's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]I got to rethink this and question why no one talking about Laraunt Robinson. He was awesome with the Cowboys once he got a chance. He makes plays down the field and he's tall enough to go up and catch one. Sometime it takes time for recievers to develope and it looks like Robinson could be the next late bloomer to be an all-star. Hes 6'2 and runs under a 4.4. I would think he would cheap cheap money and if the Pats sign Lloyd and resign Branch he could take his time and learn the offense. This guy could be the steal of FA's.

Agreed, a few of us have been advocating Robinson but the only problem I see is that he might want to stay in Dallas.  I know they want to keep him.  Not saying he can't be had but it might take a little more money.
    Alot of people are suspect of his one year stats, but after watching him all year, it looked like something clicked.  I don't know how many times I was wishing the Pats would pick him up, last year.  He was sic!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Pats will wait out the agents' first offers.  Other, dumb owners will leap up like a trout going after a tied fly. 

At some point half of the agents will understand that their clients aren't ever going to get fantasyland money, and they'll be willing to negotiate.  Actually they'll be willing to completely cave.  That's when the Pats will sign a few players.

Wes Welker is easily worth $9.4 million for 2012.  He's worth a 20% raise above that for 2013, so he might get franchised two years in a row. 

I understood why Logan Mankins, playing his rookie contract, held out for 8 regular season weeks and for all of training camp and the four preseason games.  He was getting absolute dirt if he fully cooperated with Jonathan Kraft and was setting up his own payday if he walked out.  Welker getting $9.4 million is a different.  Welker will play for that money.

The big question is Welker's longevity. He has shown an amazing ability to avoid the bad hits (for a tiny shrimp on the field) and an amazing ability to recover from a terrible knee injury (where nobody hit him!).  Welker can claim with partial justification that he's bulletproof and deserves a long contract.  Jonathan Kraft and BB will argue that he's a Buzz Lightyear toy, he can't really fly, and he'll get injured soon enough. 

There's a financial solution to the Wes Welker standoff.  If the Patriots are so sure that Welker will crumple early, and if Welker is so sure he'll last for a few years, then write a contract that favors the Pats if Welker crumples up early, but that rewards Welker if he continues to do the Energizer bunny thing. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets : Agreed, a few of us have been advocating Robinson but the only problem I see is that he might want to stay in Dallas.  I know they want to keep him.  Not saying he can't be had but it might take a little more money. Alot of people are suspect of his one year stats, but after watching him all year, it looked like something clicked.  I don't know how many times I was wishing the Pats would pick him up, last year.  He was sic!
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

NFL radio said that Dez Bryant is restructuring his contract so that may be to free up $ for robinson />

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets : NFL radio said that Dez Bryant is restructuring his contract so that may be to free up $ for robinson />
    Posted by mgraham[/QUOTE]

That kills my plan

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets : NFL radio said that Dez Bryant is restructuring his contract so that may be to free up $ for robinson />
    Posted by mgraham[/QUOTE]

yup, plus they let Ogeltree go.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets : That kills my plan

Ha, I was just reading they might already have Robinsons replacement in Andre Holmes and that they are likely to go after Carr &  need a veteran QB amongst others.  They do want to keep him but are unlikely to break the bank with other priorities.
    He was only playing for 685K there and got all his stats in only 10 games.
    Soooo. it could happen if the Pats want it too.
    I guess we'll see, but 850+ yrds and 11 TD's in 10 games is sweet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

I don't get the argument for Meachem over Colston.  The argument against Colston is:  He has played in a dome, and for a team with an annually high-octane offense that racks up yards and points. Colston’s quarterback, Drew Brees, doesn’t miss. He’s led the league in completion rate in three consecutive seasons.
    Didn't Meachem play in this same offense, in the same dome, with the same accurate QB?  Why will he excel when he leaves?  I view him in a similar light as Donte Stallworth - a first round draft pick who could fly and should have been better than he was.  I don't really want Colston either, but I don't understand why you would want the less productive player.  Although the scouting report says that Colston lacks separation skills, when I've watched Colston what has caught my eye is his ability to shield defenders and catch the football away from his body.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ws04ed. Show ws04ed's posts

Punkett to Vataha
    Why not now ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Go after
     WR Lloyd
    WR Meachum
    OLB/DE Mario Manningham
    CB Cortland Finnigan

Develop Edelman in slot...much cheaper & not a huge drop off, definately good enough to fill the void left by Welkers departure if we land those other WR's
    Trade Welker for future picks
    drop Branch & Chad

re-sign Carter/Anderson & BJGE

I'd be a real happy camper if we did all this BEFORE the draft....

Sections
Shortcuts