Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets

Updated 3/5 2:23PM

Removed Wes Welker on reports Pats will tag by 4PM.
    Removed Dwayne Bowe on reports Chiefs will tag.

With Free Agency set to start in one week, I decided to research some of the players that could hit the open market to open a discussion about which could be good fit for the Pats.  Obviously who we get in F/A will greatly influence who we select in the draft.  I will try to cover a different position each day starting with the very deep and talented WR class.  Below are the top players with their vitals, statistics and ages as of Sept 1, 2012.  I am ranking them based on their 2011 production and age.  The below is not a complete list, I'm not counting anyone with less than 400 receiving yards, except Moss.

Top Tier $6-9MM
    Mike Wallace, PIT (Restricted) 6-0, 199, 26: 72/1,193/8
    Marques Colston, NO, 6-4, 225, 29: 80/1,143/8
    Vincent Jackson, SD, 6-5, 230, 29: 60/1,106/9

Second Tier $3-5MM
    Brandon Lloyd, STL, 6-0, 198, 31: 70/966/5
    Reggie Wayne, IND, 6-0, 198, 33: 75/960/4
    Pierre Garcion, IND, 6-0, 210, 26: 70/947/6
    Laurent Robinson, DAL, 6-2, 194, 27: 54/854/11
    Jerome Simpson, CIN, 6-2, 190, 26: 50/725/4
    Early Doucet, ARI, 6-0, 212, 26: 54/689/5
    Robert Meachem, NO, 6-2, 210, 27: 40/620/6
    Mario Manningham, NYG, 6-0, 185, 26: 39/523/4
    Roy Williams, CHI, 6-3, 215/30: 37/507/2

Third Tier $1-3MM
    Deion Branch, NE 5-9, 195, 33: 51/702/5
    Harry Douglas, ATL, 6-0, 183, 27: 39/498/1
    Devin Aromashodu, MIN, 6-2, 201/28: 26/468/1
    Legedu Naanee, CAR, 6-2, 220, 28: 44/467/1
    Randy Moss, FA, 6-4, 210, 35: (2010) 28/393/5
    Plaxico Burress, NYJ, 6-5, 232, 35: 45/612/8

I will try to update this as franchise tags and signings happen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets

You know what, I was actually thinking over the w/e, why not Plaxx?

He will be cheap. He can still be a beast in the redzone at 6'6".  He is a pretty smart player. He looked decent last year after 2 years in the joint.

An offseason and going to a division rival could have him back on his game.

He isnt a burner, but goes up and gets the ball better than anyone not named Larry Fitzgerald. Def. has more UP's than Moss at this point.

Other than that, A lot of guys are sketchy or too pricey. Depending on how much of a "need" they think it is. They could get settle for a Lloyd type or go all out and try to get Wallace. They wont spend big $ on V.J.(issues) or Bowe(one year wonder?) but a young burner like Wallace who is still on the upside of his career getting better, they may use their extra pick. Should be interested. Im not giving up on Wayne yet.

A cheap option for me would be Nanee. A big guy who can play the slot as well as Outside.

Top priority for me is still safety. If no chance to get a healthy Landry, I say cheap alternatives are M.Adams(CLE) or S.Jones(T.B.?) , I dont see them spending money on a M.Griffin, but they might throw money at Goldson based on the way they tried to trade for him last year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets:
    [QUOTE]You know what, I was actually thinking over the w/e, why not Plaxx? He will be cheap. He can still be a beast in the redzone at 6'6".  He is a pretty smart player. He looked decent last year after 2 years in the joint. An offseason and going to a division rival could have him back on his game. He isnt a burner, but goes up and gets the ball better than anyone not named Larry Fitzgerald. Def. has more UP's than Moss at this point. Other than that, A lot of guys are sketchy or too pricey. Depending on how much of a "need" they think it is. They could get settle for a Lloyd type or go all out and try to get Wallace. They wont spend big $ on V.J.(issues) or Bowe(one year wonder?) but a young burner like Wallace who is still on the upside of his career getting better, they may use their extra pick. Should be interested. Im not giving up on Wayne yet. A cheap option for me would be Nanee. A big guy who can play the slot as well as Outside. Top priority for me is still safety. If no chance to get a healthy Landry, I say cheap alternatives are M.Adams(CLE) or S.Jones(T.B.?) , I dont see them spending money on a M.Griffin, but they might throw money at Goldson based on the way they tried to trade for him last year
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

The reason no Plax is because you already have Plax type of players in Hern and Gronk. Plax at this point of his career is a red zone threat and works short to intermediate routes inside. That's exactly what Gronk and Hern does with Hern actually being faster at this point.

Nanee might be an interesting option as a low cost player. He doesn't have much production though and didn't SD dump him because of off the field issues (namely arrests)?

Adams would be a solid pickup. I like Nelson from Cinn too, but I think they will overpay to keep him. DeCoud from Alt would be another good option

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

You may be right about Plaxx, but I think he could still help, the problem may be other more desperate teams looking to throw more $$, look at Braylon getting interest from the Jets again. Big guys are in demand.

As far as Nanee, this past year was the only year he got real playing time and had 44 catches with rookie Cam throwing to him and S.Smith was his main target, so I think thats pretty good. He averaged 16 ypc 2 years ago with S.D. but was always behind V.J. and Floyyd.

I like Decoud too. It depends on what they think of Chung. If they like him as a SS type than there are FS out there, but if they want a true SS, not many names I like other than Landry and maybe S.Jones who does both well

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]You know what, I was actually thinking over the w/e, why not Plaxx? He will be cheap. He can still be a beast in the redzone at 6'6".  He is a pretty smart player. He looked decent last year after 2 years in the joint. An offseason and going to a division rival could have him back on his game. He isnt a burner, but goes up and gets the ball better than anyone not named Larry Fitzgerald. Def. has more UP's than Moss at this point. Other than that, A lot of guys are sketchy or too pricey. Depending on how much of a "need" they think it is. They could get settle for a Lloyd type or go all out and try to get Wallace. They wont spend big $ on V.J.(issues) or Bowe(one year wonder?) but a young burner like Wallace who is still on the upside of his career getting better, they may use their extra pick. Should be interested. Im not giving up on Wayne yet. A cheap option for me would be Nanee. A big guy who can play the slot as well as Outside. Top priority for me is still safety. If no chance to get a healthy Landry, I say cheap alternatives are M.Adams(CLE) or S.Jones(T.B.?) , I dont see them spending money on a M.Griffin, but they might throw money at Goldson based on the way they tried to trade for him last year
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]
    Rumor is TEN will tag Griffin.

I think Wayne could be a nice addition on a low cost 1-year deal.  I like Colston a lot as he'd give us a big possession type WR who is also a big option in the red zone.  There are a lot of big receivers on this list and that's the one piece we're missing, tall and fast.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Faucet, I like your thinking and thats why my man would be Plaxx.

Of course Colston would be ideal, but if you spend that much on him and he doesnt work out, good luck.

Traditionally , bigger guys have not had success in our system. Outside of Moss, most guys have failed. Gabriel, JJ Stokes, Donald Hayes, P.K. Sam, whoever else you wanna throw out, but bigger guys have problems with the quick foot routes they want run here. Randy was the exeption.

Can Colston catch on?, maybe but I wouldnt want to risk wasting money, so I would pay the cheap $ to Plax knowing I could cut him if he doesnt pan out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Still think Robinson is the best player on that board.  Dallas's third receiver behind Austin and Bryant  (would project to # 1 or 2 here) yet has the most TD's of any with only 54 catches. Has like a 16.9 ypc av.
    The only problems are he has only 1 yr with those #'s but it looks like something clicked.  Also Dallas is trying to keep him so you'd have to offer a significantly better contract to lure him away.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Bobby, also the older Brady gets, the less patience he has in working with guys to get on page.

If you do get it, he will get you the ball, but I think if not, he prefers to go for what he knows (throwing to Wes) instead of making the extra effort. Of course that is just speculation, but I see the trend as he gets older. This is why they want to keep Wes around until Brady leaves, but I see it also as having a negative effect in keeping Brady from developing others.
    Basically as long as he has his binkies, he isnt forced to get others involved and its making our offense predictable, IMO

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

All 4 of those guys stink, Shizzle. Not a good comparison for how Colston would do in this offense. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Garcon, Meachem, or Manningham seem to me like the most likely targets. Not terribly expensive, but young with experience in complex passing offenses.  These guys aren't world beaters, but they'd add a dimension to our offense we lack. We need a Patten or Givens type and these guys seem comparable to that. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

I think that the pats should target Garcon, really can stretch the field and plays with passion. Hes not affriad of contact and he has improved each year in the NFL. I would try to sign him for 4 or 5 years and then hope Lloyd or Meachem would come here for a 2 or 3 year deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

[QUOTE]Garcon, Meachem, or Manningham seem to me like the most likely targets. Not terribly expensive, but young with experience in complex passing offenses.  These guys aren't world beaters, but they'd add a dimension to our offense we lack. We need a Patten or Givens type and these guys seem comparable to that. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Agree, they are not the fastest guys in the league but one little mistake and they can take advantage of you over the top.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Gracon appearently turned down a 5yr $35mil contract so he might not be thinking cheap.

That's more then what most of us want to give Welker. Meachem seems like a good canidate to come in for a mid tier contract though

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I like Garcon, but he isnt cheap.

I think the most likely choice is Manningham( Giants are stacked and he flew under the radar last year) , Its just that i dont like him. He is the guy  i would say has the most chance of coming in and learning the offense. Manning really coached his guys up...sorry to say.

I believe Meachum is also in the 2nd tier of Wr's and I think since we franchised Wes, that our only option is a 3rd tier guy.

I say it every year, we never know whats the Pats consider needs. We are pulling out wish lists, when in fact with Wes signed, we could conceivable stay pat.

Underwood was resigned right after SB, You still have Ocho until he gets cut, Wes, Edleman, and Slater.

I mean they do run the 2 TE set and hardly ever used a 3rd Wr last year. I think we need to keep that in perspective. I remember a year when everyone swore we gonna draft a linebacker and we didnt even touch one.

We may be thinking to upgrade Nink and they may love the guy. The Pats dont usually move on from players if they work hard and no the system.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Its amazing how we cant Draft at this position. You think with one of the Best QB's in the game, we can get a young dynamic reciever out of College. We have to have the sorriest Scouts in all of Football at this position. I see other teams and they have some complex Offenses too, but never seem to have problem finding talent at this position.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]
    But we never used a first round pick.  We busted on a 2nd with Jackson and a 3rd with Price and Tate so not sure we tried very hard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Faucet last time was Terry Glenn. Great rookie year and a few very good years after that under Pete Carrol, but when B.B. arrived he didnt like the change in attitude and commitment to hard work. He made amends in Dallas under Parcells, but I still remember the fallout of Parcells wanting to get the DE that went to J-Ville and having to settle for Glenn.

IMO, You dont take WR's in the first round, esp. not here as the system is too complex and hard to project. By all accounts Chad Jackson was a 1st round talent who killed the combine and had the production to match, so I just dont see it. Sure he was a 2nd rounder, but he was supposed to be a 1st. Why he slipped to the 2nd, I think everyone knew but us...lol

Im all set with 1st round WR's

I remember thinking Devin Thomas was gonna be a Beast, but he was just another Bust....smh

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I agree with Jay, a 1st is just to high of a cost for a WR in our system. it seems like the WR's who fit our system best usually fall in the 2nd-3rd range. Oddly enough that's were we generally pick but always the wrong WR lol (Tate over Wallace, Jackson over Driver). I would still be looking mid 2nd-3rd for a WR. M. Jones or B Quick seem like the most likely targets

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I think that the pats should target Garcon, really can stretch the field and plays with passion. Hes not affriad of contact and he has improved each year in the NFL. I would try to sign him for 4 or 5 years and then hope Lloyd or Meachem would come here for a 2 or 3 year deal.
    Posted by maine12[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking Garcon too . . . just seems like the type of guy BB would like.  I don't know what he'd want/get for money.  Eng is right that the rumours are he rejected a 5 yr/$35 million offer from the Colts, but the terms weren't ever disclosed and until you know how much was guaranteed or paid in the early years, you really don't know how good a deal it was or what kind of effect it would have on the cap.  Ideally, the cap hit is a lot less than $7 mill in the first year. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Allright they just spent 9.4 million for one receiver,what will they have left for anyone on the list you provided? I could see a lowballing of Branch and maybe a mid range price tag for Lloyd,past that I don't see anyone in their price range.I would love to see what VJax could do with Brady slinging him the rock but I just don't see the Patriots as big spenders.Wallace would look nice if he has a grasp of the offense but how long will it take for him to prepare too play in the Patriots scheme,in case noone's noticed the only two guys to come in and be successful in BB's offense immediately have been Moss and WW.Ask Ocho how the learning curve has been for him!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I want V Jack, and wouldn't mind Reggie Wayne instead of Branch.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I want V Jack, and wouldn't mind Reggie Wayne instead of Branch.
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]
    I think Reggie may follow Manning wherever he goes, which I think could be Miami but that's a popular point of view.  I would agree that Wayne would be an upgrade over Branch.  But I doubt he'd come as cheap.  I don't think it makes a lot of sense to dump a ton of cash on a 33 year old receiver.  I think Lloyd still makes sense but at 31 he won't get us much younger.  Some of those younger middle tier guys could make sense and I think a guy like Stephen Hill in the draft could be a smart play at 31.  6-4, 215, 4.33 guys don't grow on trees.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]Allright they just spent 9.4 million for one receiver,what will they have left for anyone on the list you provided? I could see a lowballing of Branch and maybe a mid range price tag for Lloyd,past that I don't see anyone in their price range.I would love to see what VJax could do with Brady slinging him the rock but I just don't see the Patriots as big spenders.Wallace would look nice if he has a grasp of the offense but how long will it take for him to prepare too play in the Patriots scheme,in case noone's noticed the only two guys to come in and be successful in BB's offense immediately have been Moss and WW.Ask Ocho how the learning curve has been for him!!!
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

I think the $9.4 m is the franchise tag and that is only to allow the Pats some time  to exclusively still negotiate a more cap friendly long term contract that would allow the possibility to get a Mike Wallace  with the 31st pick to the Steelers

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Free Agency Count Down - Possible Targets:
    [QUOTE]Updated 3/5 2:23PM Removed Wes Welker on reports Pats will tag by 4PM. Removed Dwayne Bowe on reports Chiefs will tag . With Free Agency set to start in one week, I decided to research some of the players that could hit the open market to open a discussion about which could be good fit for the Pats.  Obviously who we get in F/A will greatly influence who we select in the draft.  I will try to cover a different position each day starting with the very deep and talented WR class.  Below are the top players with their vitals, statistics and ages as of Sept 1, 2012.  I am ranking them based on their 2011 production and age.  The below is not a complete list, I'm not counting anyone with less than 400 receiving yards, except Moss. Top Tier $6-9MM Mike Wallace, PIT (Restricted) 6-0, 199, 26: 72/1,193/8 Marques Colston, NO, 6-4, 225, 29: 80/1,143/8 Vincent Jackson, SD, 6-5, 230, 29: 60/1,106/9 Second Tier $3-5MM Brandon Lloyd, STL, 6-0, 198, 31: 70/966/5 Reggie Wayne, IND, 6-0, 198, 33: 75/960/4 Pierre Garcion, IND, 6-0, 210, 26: 70/947/6 Laurent Robinson, DAL, 6-2, 194, 27: 54/854/11 Jerome Simpson, CIN, 6-2, 190, 26: 50/725/4 Early Doucet, ARI, 6-0, 212, 26: 54/689/5 Robert Meachem, NO, 6-2, 210, 27: 40/620/6 Mario Manningham, NYG, 6-0, 185, 26: 39/523/4 Roy Williams, CHI, 6-3, 215/30: 37/507/2 Third Tier $1-3MM Deion Branch, NE 5-9, 195, 33: 51/702/5 Harry Douglas, ATL, 6-0, 183, 27: 39/498/1 Devin Aromashodu, MIN, 6-2, 201/28: 26/468/1 Legedu Naanee, CAR, 6-2, 220, 28: 44/467/1 Randy Moss, FA, 6-4, 210, 35: (2010) 28/393/5 Plaxico Burress, NYJ, 6-5, 232, 35: 45/612/8 I will try to update this as franchise tags and signings happen.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

hey faucet, 
     i hear meachem.
    what about garcon?

lets open up to other positions

want to talk about williams and wimbley.
    fs and cb