Free Agent Running Backs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

Re: Free Agent Running Backs?

i think i am sick of posts like this.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

BB won't get anymore FA RBs. Why would he. he is loaded with draft picks where he can get fresh young talent

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

I am focused on this year -not convinced BJE is the answer - I hope I am wrong.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Ellis has done well as the starter so far. Deion gives this team more then a FA RB. I wouldn't be opposed to getting Fargas because he runs hard and downhill but for now, I'm fine with Ellis and Woodhead at RB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Not to mention we have enough picks in the upcoming draft to pick a RB in say the 2nd or 3rd round. I rather have youth at RB then an aging FA RB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Free Agent Running Backs?:
    BB won't get anymore FA RBs. Why would he. he is loaded with draft picks where he can get fresh young talent
    Posted by kansaspatriot

The fact is BB doesn't like to draft RBs or WRs for that matter.  He's made 101 selections during his tenure but has only drafted 6 RBs and 8 WRs.  That's 13.8% of the choices on these skilled positions although these positions typically account for 18.9% of the usual number of spots on the 53 man team.

Of these 14 picks only 1 has been in the first round, Maroney in 2007.  The rounds in the draft where he took these selections starting from 2010 and working back to 2000 are as follows:

WR: 3, 3, 7, 2, 5, 2, 2, 7
    RB: 6, 1, 4, 7, 3, 7

I'm not saying he won't spend draft picks on the RB position.  I'm saying he prefers to get his RBs and WR via trades or free agency.  RB in particular he's used late picks in rounds 6 and 7 for half of his selections.

In fact if you look at RBs and WRs we picked up via trade or as free agents between 2001 and 2009 you will see that this is the route BB usually takes to land this talent.  Below is the list of noteworthy RBs and FA acquired this way in two fewer years.  There are plenty of others at these positions who were not noteworthy.  The below list contains 18 players as compared to the 14 drafted and again half of those drafted players were late round picks that didn't stick.

WR: David Patton, Tim Dwight, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Donte Stallworth, Kelley Washington, Sam Aiken

RB:  Antowain Smith, Marc Edwards, Larry Centers, Corey Dillon, Heath Evans, LaMont Jordan, Sammy Morris, Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis, Fred Taylor

The lesson here is don't count on BB taking a WR or RB in the first round.  It is twice as likely that BB will take a WR in the first 3 rounds compared to the chance he will take a RB that high.  To put it another way...

Only 2% of our picks since 2000 were spent on RBs taken within the first 3 rounds.  Only 5% of our picks during the same period were used on WRs taken in the first three rounds.  That's a pathetic combined 7 premium picks out of 101 used on those two skill positions which normally account for 19% of roster spots.  So, BB will go after free agents nearly twice as often as he will drafting RBs or WRs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: Free Agent Running Backs? : The fact is BB doesn't like to draft RBs or WRs for that matter.  He's made 101 selections during his tenure but has only drafted 6 RBs and 8 WRs.  That's 13.8% of the choices on these skilled positions although these positions typically account for 18.9% of the usual number of spots on the 53 man team. Of these 14 picks only 1 has been in the first round, Maroney in 2007.  The rounds in the draft where he took these selections starting from 2010 and working back to 2000 are as follows: WR: 3, 3, 7, 2, 5, 2, 2, 7 RB: 6, 1, 4, 7, 3, 7 I'm not saying he won't spend draft picks on the RB position.  I'm saying he prefers to get his RBs and WR via trades or free agency.  RB in particular he's used late picks in rounds 6 and 7 for half of his selections. In fact if you look at RBs and WRs we picked up via trade or as free agents between 2001 and 2009 you will see that this is the route BB usually takes to land this talent.  Below is the list of noteworthy RBs and FA acquired this way in two fewer years.  There are plenty of others at these positions who were not noteworthy.  The below list contains 18 players as compared to the 14 drafted and again half of those drafted players were late round picks that didn't stick. WR: David Patton, Tim Dwight, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Donte Stallworth, Kelley Washington, Sam Aiken RB:  Antowain Smith, Marc Edwards, Larry Centers, Corey Dillon, Heath Evans, LaMont Jordan, Sammy Morris, Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis, Fred Taylor The lesson here is don't count on BB taking a WR or RB in the first round.  It is twice as likely that BB will take a WR in the first 3 rounds compared to the chance he will take a RB that high.  To put it another way... Only 2% of our picks since 2000 were spent on RBs taken within the first 3 rounds.  Only 5% of our picks during the same period were used on WRs taken in the first three rounds.  That's a pathetic combined 7 premium picks out of 101 used on those two skill positions which normally account for 19% of roster spots.  So, BB will go after free agents nearly twice as often as he will drafting RBs or WRs.
    Posted by Faucetman

Nice post Faucet...thanks, man.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Free Agent Running Backs? : The lesson here is don't count on BB taking a WR or RB in the first round. Posted by Faucetman

he may not, but he probably would draft a 2nd or 3rd.

wouldn't think if he ends up with the 31 pick he would pass on julio jones or ingram

Sections
Shortcuts