Free agent WR news

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Re: Free agent WR news

I think Jones would be a decent option. Another option, one that would likely come very cheap....how about taking a chance on Sidney Rice on a one or two year deal with very little guaranteed? Low risk, potentially high reward. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE

Sure, I would love to.  But first, what do you consider #1 WR numbers?  Many people on this forum (see my Decker thread) are saying Eric Decker isn't a #1, he is more of a #2 WR yet he had over 1288 yards and 11 td's last season.  1000+ yards and 13 td's the previous year.  So let's hear what your #1 wr stats would be for Dobson.

[/QUOTE]

Denver is a different team and Peyton threw for 5400 yards.

personally I'd say #1 WR numbers are 80 rec, 1000 yards, 8 TDs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Am I the only one who thinks that WR isn't a need?

Not sure if you are the only one but if the Denver playoff game didn't convince you of the need or to think the Pats could beat Seattle or the 49'ers without better receivers then I'm not sure there is anything anyone can say that will convince you.

[/QUOTE]

The Denver playoff game only had 3 healthy WRs in Collie, Edelman and Amendola. Boyce was IR, Dobson had a bad foot/hammy and Thompkins had a bad back/neck/leg. Even then, Dobson, with a bad foot and hammy, came in the game and caught 4 passes in one quarter while being doubled the whole game.

As far as the 49ers and Seahawks goes, the 49ers have a good WR corps, but who on the Seahawks would be a walk in number 1 WR for us? None.

[/QUOTE]

My point exactly on the Denver game.  No depth at all.  Your goto Dobson and Thompkins should be depth players, they are not #1's, not even sure they are #2's.

As for 49'ers and Seahawks, you missed tthe point.  Do you really think the Patriots have a chance of beating either of those teams with last years receivers?  Hell no!  I would like to think the Pats would have done better vs the Seahawks had they made it to the SB but I'm not so sure they would have.  Need some offensive weapons, WR is surly a weak point.

[/QUOTE]

Care to make a wagger on Dobson for next season if he stays healthy? I guarantee you he puts up #1 WR numbers.

Care

[/QUOTE]

Sure, I would love to.  But first, what do you consider #1 WR numbers?  Many people on this forum (see my Decker thread) are saying Eric Decker isn't a #1, he is more of a #2 WR yet he had over 1288 yards and 11 td's last season.  1000+ yards and 13 td's the previous year.  So let's hear what your #1 wr stats would be for Dobson.

[/QUOTE]

40+ catches, 800+ yards, 5+ TDs(I'm expecting Gronk and Edeman or Amendola will be targeted more because they play positions where Brady is most comfortable throwing theball). Decker isn't a #1 WR, his numbers are inflated thanks to havin an elite QB and WR on the field with him. Deckers is rarely ever doubled and often faces off against the number 2 CB, and number 3 CB most times last season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

40+ catches, 800+ yards, 5+ TDs

[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?  I thought you said #1 WR stats.  Those that you posted are not #1 WR stats.  Those would be a solid #2 with the exception of receptions, 40 is way too low to be a solid #2.  I would say a solid # 2 receptions would be 60+.  

#1 WR stats are at least 75 catches minimum, 900 yards minimum and 8 td's minimum, and I'm being generous here.  That would be a low #1, IMO.  Heck, to me a #1 would be 80+ receptions, 1000+ yards and 10+ td's. 

I don't see Dobson doing that in 2014 but I certainly could see Decker doing that in NE.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE] 

I don't see Dobson doing that in 2014 but I certainly could see Decker doing that in NE.

[/QUOTE]

I know you really want a WR but sadly I think we are stuck with what we got. Dobson, Boyce and KT are gonna have to be the guys.

tell me, would you want to spend the $ on Decker and not get Talib.

or spend the money on Decker and Talib and not be able to get a competent safety or pass rusher?

defense is a bigger need here imo. with TB we will be fine on O

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

Denver is a different team and Peyton threw for 5400 yards.

personally I'd say #1 WR numbers are 80 rec, 1000 yards, 8 TDs

[/QUOTE]

I almost agree.  I say double digit td's 10+. 

Yes, Denver is a different team, they had 2 WR's with #1 WR stats and 2 receivers with solid #2 WR stats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, Denver is a different team, they had 2 WR's with #1 WR stats and 2 receivers with solid #2 WR stats.

[/QUOTE]

yep and that got them just a little further than us. their QB is deteriorating quicker than ours too.

the best way to build our team is balence. thats why i say focus on defense first. if you have the cap after that to grab a good WR on a cheap deal do so

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?  I thought you said #1 WR stats.  Those that you posted are not #1 WR stats.  Those would be a solid #2 with the exception of receptions, 40 is way too low to be a solid #2.  I would say a solid # 2 receptions would be 60+.  

#1 WR stats are at least 75 catches minimum, 900 yards minimum and 8 td's minimum, and I'm being generous here.  That would be a low #1, IMO.  Heck, to me a #1 would be 80+ receptions, 1000+ yards and 10+ td's. 

[/QUOTE]

I would suggest better numbers, but Dobson isn't Brady's type of WR. Brady likes the possesion guys, Dobson isn't a possesion guy. He's a speedy, deep threat/mid-range WR who'll get his stats from big gains and Brady's deep ball sucks.

So...I still believe Gronk and the slot will get the most targets.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I hate getting numbers on each position, the numbers are always skewed when playing bad teams. there are only a handful of good teams. 

I don't care when a guy gets against bad teams, only good teams. I saw where the number of tds for both manning and brady the years they thrw 50 tds , that thay threw over 30 of them in the first  10 games. And fewer when it got cold. Stats can be meanungless. The question to me is how they do against good teams in crunch time. 

Tb is unsurpassed,  but PM not so much, 

there are only a handful of recvers who do well, Gronk is one, Percy is now another and so is bolden, there are others for sure, I just don't get all wrapped up in cakplling some one a number one

With a Gronk you Maybe cannot havr a nu,bet one stars wise

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

PI think Dobson is capable of achieving 1000 yards, 60-75 catches and 8 TDs. In 12 games played last year he had like 37 receptions, 519 yards and 4 TDs. He was also playing with injury in a few of those games. If he takes the next step and works hard, he is capable. The guy I am more concerned with is amendola. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would suggest better numbers, but Dobson isn't Brady's type of WR. Brady likes the possesion guys, Dobson isn't a possesion guy. He's a speedy, deep threat/mid-range WR who'll get his stats from big gains and Brady's deep ball sucks.

[/QUOTE]

I think Dobson is or can be a hybrid. of his 37 receptions last year, only 8 went for over 20 yards, the rest under...he averaged 14 per reception. ...I think Boyce can be that possession guy, with amendola and Edelman as well. Dobson adds what we haven't had in some time. A big, mid to deep threat when needed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Dobson is or can be a hybrid. of his 37 receptions last year, only 8 went for over 20 yards, the rest under...he averaged 14 per reception. ...I think Boyce can be that possession guy, with amendola and Edelman as well. Dobson adds what we haven't had in some time. A big, mid to deep threat when needed.

[/QUOTE]

I am there with you

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Couple names on this list stand out for value purposes and worth the look.

Of course Edelman coming back at a reasonable contract but I don't know if he should be valued at 5 mill per.

My favorite Jeremy Maclin due to injury otherwise he is a lock to return to Philly which he may be anyway.

James Jones but I think he will get a pretty decent contract(lead the LG in tds 2 years ago no?)

Sanders due to recent interest on BB's part but his 2013 season makes me nervous

Hakeem Nicks take a chance on him playing with a chip on his shoulder(may not need him with a healthy Dobson though)

Dexter Mccluster 53 catches in his new slot position. Could be a perfect fit in N.E

Plaxico Burress....just kidding

NameTeamPrior APY Anquan Boldin 49ers $8,333,333 Josh Morgan Redskins $5,750,000 Devin Hester Bears $5,489,006 Santana Moss Redskins $5,000,000 Jacoby Jones Ravens $3,250,000 James Jones Packers $3,233,333 Jeremy Maclin Eagles $2,875,000 Emmanuel Sanders Steelers $2,500,000 Darrius Heyward-Bey Colts $2,500,000 Hakeem Nicks Giants $2,215,000 Jerome Simpson Vikings $2,100,000 Kenny Britt Titans $1,830,002 Mario Manningham 49ers $1,800,000 Jerricho Cotchery Steelers $1,500,000 Dexter McCluster Chiefs $1,325,000 Domenik Hixon Panthers $1,200,000 Ted Ginn Panthers $1,100,000 Plaxico Burress Steelers $1,005,000 Kevin Walter Titans $1,005,000 Brandon Tate Bengals $966,000 Kassim Osgood 49ers $940,000 Brandon Stokley Ravens $940,000 Andre Caldwell Broncos $900,000 Brandon LaFell Panthers $869,600 Damian Williams Titans $864,063 Golden Tate Seahawks $852,875 Josh Cribbs Jets $840,000 Eric Decker Broncos $828,788 Jacoby Ford Raiders $787,211 Louis Murphy Giants $780,000 Julian Edelman Patriots $765,000 Kevin Ogletree Lions $715,000 Robert Meachem Saints $715,000 Lavelle Hawkins Chargers $715,000 Michael Spurlock Lions $715,000 Tiquan Underwood Buccaneers $715,000 Taylor Price Jaguars $661,145 Marlon Moore Dolphins $630,000 Seyi Ajirotutu Chargers $630,000 Riley Cooper Eagles $527,870 Kyle Williams Chiefs $504,838

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You said in the Decker thread that Decker is a possession guy so if Brady likes possession guys then Decker should be a great fit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yep and that got them just a little further than us. their QB is deteriorating quicker than ours too.

the best way to build our team is balence. thats why i say focus on defense first. if you have the cap after that to grab a good WR on a cheap deal do so

[/QUOTE]

Well you need to have an offense to score, I'm not sure the Pats offense could have scored much against the Seahawks, and you want the Pats to have the same offense this year?  Not going to work.  Yes balance, but need some legit receivers to have a chance.  Denver had legit receivers and they never had a shot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

TFB do you think we should give Erick Decker 30 million guaranteed with a possible 60 million like Mike Wallace got as the #1 rated FA receiver last year?

Do you think that would be best for this team going forward?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

Well you need to have an offense to score, I'm not sure the Pats offense could have scored much against the Seahawks, and you want the Pats to have the same offense this year?  Not going to work.  Yes balance, but need some legit receivers to have a chance.  Denver had legit receivers and they never had a shot.

[/QUOTE]

Dobson, Boyce, KT, Amendola, Gronk (health hopefully), Vereen, TE in the draft and say we grab like James Jones.

I think that is a very fine WR corps.

Dobson/Jones outside with Amendola or Boyce in the slot and a TE with the swing guy Vereen.

I know we all want better WRs but BB put his chips in last years draft so Dobson is gonna have to be ride or die in our WR corps next year.

I have faith in Dobson actually, not really DA but I like Boyce going forward too.

if we get Talib/Whitner/J. Jones in FA i would be beyond happy. then go DT/TE in draft

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

TFB do you think we should give Erick Decker 30 million guaranteed with a possible 60 million like Mike Wallace got as the #1 rated FA receiver last year?

nope, not at that price.  I believe I stated that already either in this thread or the Decker thread I started a couple days ago.

But getting bargin receivers isn't going to do it either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

You said in the Decker thread that Decker is a possession guy so if Brady likes possession guys then Decker should be a great fit.

[/QUOTE]

I never said he was a bad fit, I said he would fit in here well a few weeks ago because he holds the record for the WR Womderlic score, I believe. He's exactly Brady's type of WR, but I just don't think he's worth the cash. In fact, Dobson os exactly Peyton's kind of WR(Plays a lot like Marvin Harrison).

Our disagreement comes from whether or not he's a number 1, but none of Brady's WRs--outside of Moss--have been number 1s. Welker, Branch, Brown, Givens, Edelman...short, quick, possesion WRs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Decker is overated guys. Dennard shut him out him pretty easily last year in 1st meeting. He had a 4 TD game due to guys like D.Thomas and J.Thomas and Welker on the team. Coming here he would be surrounded by 2nd year players,would  be the focus and he would look very average. No Thanks Man.

Jeesh, did ANY of you guys watch the SB?  WE NEED DEFENSE. We DO also need a vet WR, but I dont want to break the bank. If we are gonna spend, cant we do better than Eric Decker?!  Wow..... take the numbers into context fellas

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

nope, not at that price.  I believe I stated that already either in this thread or the Decker thread I started a couple days ago.

[/QUOTE]

So the good money WRs you don't want to pay yet the bargain WR don't get the job done. 

So what's the solution? 

Youre gonna have to trust Dobson, Boyce & KT's progression and hope BB brings in a cheap outside threat. 

id rather take my chances with that and focus on D. 

Dobson and Boyce could be legit threats next year, we need to give them a chance imo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So the good money WRs you don't want to pay yet the bargain WR don't get the job done. 

So what's the solution? 

Youre gonna have to trust Dobson, Boyce & KT's progression and hope BB brings in a cheap outside threat. 

id rather take my chances with that and focus on D. 

Dobson and Boyce could be legit threats next year, we need to give them a chance imo

[/QUOTE]

Did you not see the PFF.com thread posted.  Thompkins is a below average starter.  We can only hope Dobson and Amerndola can remain healthy and stay on the field and contribute.  If they don't then there are serious problems and do you really want to patch together a WR corps during the season?  Good luck with that. 

Are we sure what the market is for Decker yet?  Why don't we wait and see what kind of money he is going to want.  Several FA receivers were over paid for last year, do you think teams won't take that in consideration for this season?  If Decker is over priced then go down the list, heck maybe even Cooper would be a good fit as long as he isn't over priced.  We don't need both Amendola and Edelman.  I would like Edelman over Amendola but kind of stuck there.  Maybe Thompkins and Amendola can fill the role of Edelman and Amendola then add another mid to deeper field receiver.  The pats need taller, stronger, more physical receivers. 

Go down the list and scratch off all the 5'10-6'0, maybe even 6'1 guys.  Who does that leave to chooses from?  I think once you do that you can see the separation between the guys who will help more that might cost a bit more compared to the guys who you are rolling the dice on, just to pay a bit less.  Compare the two and let me know what you think.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Decker is overated guys. Dennard shut him out him pretty easily last year in 1st meeting. He had a 4 TD game due to guys like D.Thomas and J.Thomas and Welker on the team. Coming here he would be surrounded by 2nd year players,would  be the focus and he would look very average. No Thanks Man.

Jeesh, did ANY of you guys watch the SB?  WE NEED DEFENSE. We DO also need a vet WR, but I dont want to break the bank. If we are gonna spend, cant we do better than Eric Decker?!  Wow..... take the numbers into context fellas

[/QUOTE]

I don't buy those excuses.  Dennard shut him down but most other teams couldn't.  1,288 yards, 87 receptions, 11 td's pretty much shows that he isn't being shut down.  Heck if can produce 3/4 of that in NE and draw attention off Dobson, Amendola then fantastic!  Those guys need the help.

Yes, defense is huge, but you still need to be able to score points.  Did the Jets and Bengals games last season not prove this team needs guys who can help score?  There is enough money there to improve defense and bring in a bigger, more experienced, quality WR.  I really believe that.  These owners are masters at manipulating the cap numbers to get what they need.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't buy those excuses.  Dennard shut him down but most other teams couldn't.  1,288 yards, 87 receptions, 11 td's pretty much shows that he isn't being shut down.  Heck if can produce 3/4 of that in NE and draw attention off Dobson, Amendola then fantastic!  Those guys need the help.

Yes, defense is huge, but you still need to be able to score points.  Did the Jets and Bengals games last season not prove this team needs guys who can help score?  There is enough money there to improve defense and bring in a bigger, more experienced, quality WR.  I really believe that.  These owners are masters at manipulating the cap numbers to get what they need.

[/QUOTE]

Can you bive a list of #1 /WR's and what you would pay them?

Is there a Draft Pick you would take and what round and over what position?

Not trick questions, i am just trying to build a strategy for this off season

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not for 9 million/year. You think Amendola was a mistake...Wait till BB announces his signing of Eric Decker for 4/36 million with 10 garuanteed.  How did Decker do in the SB?  Thats all I care about because IF we make it, Im sure either San Fran, Seattle, or Carolina will be their waiting and they ALL are physical defenses. With 4 Tds in ONE game, its easy to see how he got his stats. I wouldnt say he had success vs everyone. Its called  having a passing offense. Welker had what? 10 Tds'?  He never SNIFFED 10 TDs here. Thats because Manning is the real Stats Padder, Not Brady.

You have to remember TFB, you are the same guy who still thinks we Needed Wes when we just saw Edleman be the same player. You overate white receivers  it seems.

E.Decker had 6 cathes his rookie year. He had 44 the next year playing w/Tebow.

When Peyton arrived, he jumped up to 85 and 87 catches respectively. So without Peyton, he would be just another average WR. Remember what Dallas Clark looked like once he left Indy?  Thats my rebutall. I have nothing personal against Decker but he is pretty average for 9 mill/year IMO

He wasnt consistent even w/those numbers. He put up 10 catches vs a stinky Houston secondary but put up 4 for 27 vs the Raiders, 2 for 42 vs the Chargers. Within the division, he didnt do much. That tells me what I need to know.