Free agent WR news

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Free agent WR news

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am I the only one who thinks that WR isn't a need?

[/QUOTE]

Yes

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

He is totally clueless, I bet he hasn't even looked at all the websites that post the salary cap space of every team in the league, if he did he'd see just wrong he is. It's laughable.

This guy runs into every thread talking about salary cap hell, when it doesn't exist. There is only two teams in the entire NFL that are over the cap. And for every team rusty claimed was in "salary cap hell" last year, now have some of the most cap space available. He ran around saying these teams would be in "salary cap hell" for years and years and years...yet after one year they are in better shape that us. Take a look at the Raiders, Jets, Redskins, Ravens, Dolphins, Bills, Eagles...these are the teams he yelled were in "salary cap hell" after they signed big name free agents...now they all have 20 plus million to spend this off season...the Raiders have 60 million!! Boy that's scary, so scary.

[/QUOTE]

Seems to me "Salary Cap Hell" is easily fixed by cutting old overpaid players while on the other hand "Dead Money Hell" is a real unfixable situation that poor GM's put their team in.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you are the only one but if the Denver playoff game didn't convince you of the need or to think the Pats could beat Seattle or the 49'ers without better receivers then I'm not sure there is anything anyone can say that will convince you.

[/QUOTE]

The Denver playoff game only had 3 healthy WRs in Collie, Edelman and Amendola. Boyce was IR, Dobson had a bad foot/hammy and Thompkins had a bad back/neck/leg. Even then, Dobson, with a bad foot and hammy, came in the game and caught 4 passes in one quarter while being doubled the whole game.

As far as the 49ers and Seahawks goes, the 49ers have a good WR corps, but who on the Seahawks would be a walk in number 1 WR for us? None.

[/QUOTE]

My point exactly on the Denver game.  No depth at all.  Your goto Dobson and Thompkins should be depth players, they are not #1's, not even sure they are #2's.

As for 49'ers and Seahawks, you missed tthe point.  Do you really think the Patriots have a chance of beating either of those teams with last years receivers?  Hell no!  I would like to think the Pats would have done better vs the Seahawks had they made it to the SB but I'm not so sure they would have.  Need some offensive weapons, WR is surly a weak point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you are the only one but if the Denver playoff game didn't convince you of the need or to think the Pats could beat Seattle or the 49'ers without better receivers then I'm not sure there is anything anyone can say that will convince you.

[/QUOTE]

The Denver playoff game only had 3 healthy WRs in Collie, Edelman and Amendola. Boyce was IR, Dobson had a bad foot/hammy and Thompkins had a bad back/neck/leg. Even then, Dobson, with a bad foot and hammy, came in the game and caught 4 passes in one quarter while being doubled the whole game.

As far as the 49ers and Seahawks goes, the 49ers have a good WR corps, but who on the Seahawks would be a walk in number 1 WR for us? None.

[/QUOTE]

My point exactly on the Denver game.  No depth at all.  Your goto Dobson and Thompkins should be depth players, they are not #1's, not even sure they are #2's.

As for 49'ers and Seahawks, you missed tthe point.  Do you really think the Patriots have a chance of beating either of those teams with last years receivers?  Hell no!  I would like to think the Pats would have done better vs the Seahawks had they made it to the SB but I'm not so sure they would have.  Need some offensive weapons, WR is surly a weak point.

[/QUOTE]

It's especially a weak point if Edelman leaves. Even if he stays, there is room for improvement. 

Given the youth movement at the position, I would like to see a vet like jones, Maclin, etc added. It would better round out that group. TE? I think we could do the same In a vet like pitta, and draft one like that kid from ND. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]. 

Given the youth movement at the position, I would like to see a vet like jones, Maclin, etc added. It would better round out that group. TE? I think we could do the same In a vet like pitta, and draft one like that kid from ND. 

[/QUOTE]

cut Maclin off the list. he would be my #1 target in FA but he and Philly mutually want eachother and barring any quick turn of events he will most likely stick there.

Scott Chandler is a good FA TE option if Bill doesnt go TE in Rd 1/2 of the draft. He's 6'6 and has had some decent games vs. our D which BB must remember.

but, I think BB has his mind set on drafting a TE early on

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]. 

[/QUOTE]

cut Maclin off the list. he would be my #1 target in FA but he and Philly mutually want eachother and barring any quick turn of events he will most likely stick there.

Scott Chandler is a good FA TE option if Bill doesnt go TE in Rd 1/2 of the draft. He's 6'6 and has had some decent games vs. our D which BB must remember.

but, I think BB has his mind set on drafting a TE early on

[/QUOTE]

Agree on chandler. If he goes that route, I would expect a move TE in the draft. And vice versa. Who will come cheaper? Pitta or chandler? And, where we draft, are we better positioned for a big Gronk type TE or a shifty move TE? 

Regardless, I hope the Pats double dip at 2 positions..1 via the draft, 1 via FA...those positions are TE and DT.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

The Pats were number 4 in points last year

Like it or not. We need Gronk to make it go

the nfl history is full of Wrs who had ok  rook yrs and then were good in the second. All 3 rooks showed glimpses of being good. The chances of getting a rookie wr who will shine in 2014 are long.

The seahags had Percy, who was injured ALL yr. they may not win witout him, Easily Gronk is all of Percy. I don't think either the niners or Seahags wr.s except Percy are special, very good yes

To beat the seahags or any top team this yr , our OL has to protect the 5 yds behind the center and be able to run block. our Oline could not do it in the end. if you don't give TB his spot it won't make much difference who is the wr. but Dobby has size, speed, and I am betting he gets his hands back and can block. 

It's our D who needs some help and be healthy, and our oline has to be better. We lost both SBs in part because our Oline was beaten. And it happened against Balt and then this yr against the donkeys 

its ts the trenches tbst count

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

Agree on chandler. If he goes that route, I would expect a move TE in the draft. And vice versa. Who will come cheaper? Pitta or chandler? And, where we draft, are we better positioned for a big Gronk type TE or a shifty move TE? 

Regardless, I hope the Pats double dip at 2 positions..1 via the draft, 1 via FA...those positions are TE and DT.

[/QUOTE]

agree there completely.

chandler definitely would be cheaper, Pitta is a "name" since having a good 2012 playoffs becoming one of Flacco's go to guys. 

when it comes to draft and TE there are four names in rounds 1/2 that we could go after but there are all "gronk type" besides Amaro.

Amaro played mostly or all slot at TTU but isnt really a shifty RAC guy that Hern was, but can bring a huge recieving threat at 6'5 in the slot or lined up at different spots.

the other three, Troy Niklas, Austin Seferian-Jenkins and CJ Fiedrowicz are all huge bodied (6'5+ and 260lbs+) TEs. Fierdo seems like a BB guy (had best 3 cone drill among TEs which BB loves), ASJ has most upside athletically imo but has some "desire" questions and Niklas could be a beast as well. I'd be happy with any of the four.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

and when it comes to the move TE some people are high on the athletic Colt Lyerla but he's had off-field issues that I dont wanna touch and i dont really think he's that good either.

A.C Leonard showed some real speed in the 40 saturday, I'd need to watch film but i wouldnt mind him in the 5th/6th as a move TE if he is that

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Not crazy about the guys we have catching the ball right now.  That includes both WRs and TEs.  We may be okay, though, for receivers out of the backfield if Vereen can just stay healthy. I think, though, with Gronk likely out for a good part of the season if not all season, we could use some decent receiving threats.  So yeah, I think it's a big need.  It certainly was a big need against Denver in the playoffs and one we couldn't meet with the players we had at the time. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not crazy about the guys we have catching the ball right now.  That includes both WRs and TEs.  We may be okay, though, for receivers out of the backfield if Vereen can just stay healthy. I think, though, with Gronk likely out for a good part of the season if not all season, we could use some decent receiving threats.  So yeah, I think it's a big need.  It certainly was a big need against Denver in the playoffs and one we couldn't meet with the players we had at the time. 

[/QUOTE]

One has to believe in the growth of our rooks in the second year and getting Gronk back. The TEs in the draft are not doing well at the combine and I cannot get too excited about another rook wr

I think we have more pressing needs. The most physical team wins in the playoffs, not the best stats which are built against the lesser teams. the 7 tds Peyton threw against Balt in game one were meangless. having a 100receptions is misleading. I am fine with our wrs, but we will have to replace JE with another vet

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One has to believe in the growth of our rooks in the second year and getting Gronk back. The TEs in the draft are not doing well at the combine and I cannot get too excited about another rook wr

I don't think we can be certain the rookies will pan out.  One hopes, of course, but I didn't see enough from any of them last year to be sure they'll be very good players.  I also don't think we can rely on Gronk to be back after that injury.  I thought the offense looked pretty weak by the end of last season with Gronk out.  If our defense were Seattle's then I wouldn't be too concerned, but we don't have a defense like Seattle.  We need some offense. 

I think we have more pressing needs. The most physical team wins in the playoffs, not the best stats which are built against the lesser teams. the 7 tds Peyton threw against Balt in game one were meangless. having a 100receptions is misleading. I am fine with our wrs, but we will have to replace JE with another vet

I think the defensive line needs to be a priority and we need to re-sign or replace Talib.  I'd like a strong safety and another LB too.  On offense, the interior line needs help, but WR and TE are right up there as needs on offense in my opinion.  

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I do not think Dobson was healthy enough to make a difference ... nor Thomkins or Boyce for that matter. I think it reasonable to expec t at least one fo them to stick and be solid (even if not GREAT but we had a fine trio with Branch and Givens and Patten and none were GREAT).

If BB thinks these guys - 1 or 2 or all 3 - will be sound then we might not really need to worry too much about WR.

I wont say I would not like to get another guy who is good. I just feel BB can judge that. I remain wanting them to focus KEENLY on the O line and D line to become DOMINANT. That historically is the key to an O and a D. Lets get back to that. The best teams of the past... and heck the present - look at SF and Seattle... have that to a good extent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pats WR's today:

Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Thompkins, Moe, Harrison. You dont see a need there? Wow!

[/QUOTE]

Assuming that the 3 musketeers make the second year leap and come into their own as full fledge WRs, why would there be a need there?  

[/QUOTE]

shouldnt there be a contingency since none of the 3 were able to stay healthy, and Boyce barely played, making his year 2 really his rookie season

Thompkins was an UDFA and is almost 27. I think he is a middlin talent that is at his ceiling, but thats just me

If the PAts can grab a vet WR that can be a reliable red zone target and come in at an attractive cost, I think the need is very big 

[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, why not bring in a vet for every position? Anyone can get hurt.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes

[/QUOTE]

You're not very objective though...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Care to make a wagger on Dobson for next season if he stays healthy? I guarantee you he puts up #1 WR numbers.

Care

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's especially a weak point if Edelman leaves. Even if he stays, there is room for improvement. 

[/QUOTE]

Edelman isn't a make or brake talent. I like him, but the Pats don't NEED him. Edelman had the best year of our WRs because he was the mst in sync with Brady having played 5 years with him. He was the most experienced in the offense and knew where to be for the same reason, but most important of all, he was the only guy who was healthy for all 18 games.

I still believe that if we gave Tom and the rookies the same offseason he had with Edelman (They practiced everyday and Brady got in sync with him), the sophmores have big seasons next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think we can be certain the rookies will pan out.  One hopes, of course, but I didn't see enough from any of them last year to be sure they'll be very good players.  I also don't think we can rely on Gronk to be back after that injury.  I thought the offense looked pretty weak by the end of last season with Gronk out.  If our defense were Seattle's then I wouldn't be too concerned, but we don't have a defense like Seattle.  We need some offense. 

I think the defensive line needs to be a priority and we need to re-sign or replace Talib.  I'd like a strong safety and another LB too.  On offense, the interior line needs help, but WR and TE are right up there as needs on offense in my opinion.  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The truth is you can't be certain anyone will pan out. The rookies showed good production last season and there is absolutely no reason to think that won't continue this season. The Pats need help on D and O line, unless there is a Randy Moss type player out there, they are all set at receiver.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The truth is you can't be certain anyone will pan out. The rookies showed good production last season and there is absolutely no reason to think that won't continue this season. The Pats need help on D and O line, unless there is a Randy Moss type player out there, they are all set at receiver.

[/QUOTE]

That's correct, there is no certainty, , one is left with probabilities. It would be nice to have proven All Stars at every position but that is not possible. I have to take a more glass half full than half empty. All I have said is what I think the best chances are. I particularly like to root for guys to grow and get better. but we won't know if we get the 2nd yr bounce from all of our rooks or not. As to Gronk, his latest injury was not his genetic fault, there is excellent prognosis now in these injuries, and we have all been let down that he hasn't been on the field in the playoffs, as with Talib. we do need some luck

I have prioritized DT,SS, Ol ( notice Wendell doesn't look like he is getting a contract) These are the most glaring needs from the draft And FA..So I don't think we have a choice, no team can up grade every position in one yr. I see no reason Dobson cannot be very good. I really don't care about a hundred catches, but I do care about efficiency. . One very good wr, slot rec, TE and rb receiver is good enough. Along with a good rb and TB

Can do it. We need a better Oline.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

An absolute lack of respect for our receivers was evident in the way Denver defended against us in the playoffs.  If our receivers are as poor as they were in that game, we are going to see eight and nine in the box regularly, just like Denver showed us.  That's not going to allow much production from the offense, because it will kill the running game too.  It may be that when all our WRs and TEs are healthy we can force defenders back again, but honestly I didn't see enough from our WRs and TEs last year (when Gronk was out) to feel confident that this receiving group is good enough.  And I simply don't have faith that Gronk is going to be ready to play or healthy long enough if he does recover. 

Maybe Dobson will be vastly improved and we'll get more from Thompkins, Boyce, or some other guy.  But I don't know how anyone who watched Denver shut our offense down with minimal guys in coverage can feel confident about this receiving group. 

I'll just add that I don't think WR/TE is our number one need (I'd go for interior O and D lines first, too) but I don't think we can ignore the WR/TE positions this offseason.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm going to question that one.

Boyce we have no clue what he'll become yet. 9recs for 121 is anything but good production. It's really a question mark what he can provide.

Thompkins showed so much production that BB made him inactive at the end of the year. True he looked good early but faded extremely quick. If anything he got worse as the year carried on. It's hard to have faith in the kid when he couldn't even get on the field when we were desperate for any receiver at the end of the year.

Dobson I still have high hopes for but he needs to make a big leap next year. He was wildly inconsistent, at times showing why he was a 2nd round pick and at others makes you wonder if the game was just too quick for him. The guy all but disappeared in the postseason, 2 for 33. The game really needs to slow down a lot for him before we can say he can give stable production game in and game out.

All in all Dobson has the best shot at giving us at least #2 WR type ability but Thompkins might have already hit his ceiling (which he was benched for) and Boyce is still a giant question mark. I'm all for being optimistic but lets not pretend the receivers weren't an issue this year and won't be even more so moving forward if they lose Edelman

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm going to question that one.

Boyce we have no clue what he'll become yet. 9recs for 121 is anything but good production. It's really a question mark what he can provide.

Thompkins showed so much production that BB made him inactive at the end of the year. True he looked good early but faded extremely quick. If anything he got worse as the year carried on. It's hard to have faith in the kid when he couldn't even get on the field when we were desperate for any receiver at the end of the year.

Dobson I still have high hopes for but he needs to make a big leap next year. He was wildly inconsistent, at times showing why he was a 2nd round pick and at others makes you wonder if the game was just too quick for him. The guy all but disappeared in the postseason, 2 for 33. The game really needs to slow down a lot for him before we can say he can give stable production game in and game out.

All in all Dobson has the best shot at giving us at least #2 WR type ability but Thompkins might have already hit his ceiling (which he was benched for) and Boyce is still a giant question mark. I'm all for being optimistic but lets not pretend the receivers weren't an issue this year and won't be even more so moving forward if they lose Edelman

[/QUOTE]

A realistic assessment Eng. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pats WR's today:

Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Thompkins, Moe, Harrison. You dont see a need there? Wow!

[/QUOTE]

Assuming that the 3 musketeers make the second year leap and come into their own as full fledge WRs, why would there be a need there?  

[/QUOTE]

shouldnt there be a contingency since none of the 3 were able to stay healthy, and Boyce barely played, making his year 2 really his rookie season

Thompkins was an UDFA and is almost 27. I think he is a middlin talent that is at his ceiling, but thats just me

If the PAts can grab a vet WR that can be a reliable red zone target and come in at an attractive cost, I think the need is very big 

[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, why not bring in a vet for every position? Anyone can get hurt.

[/QUOTE]

do you mean such as Svitek ,Blount, Hooman, Carter, Fletcher, Kelly, AWilson etc, etc. Doesnt the team try to do this anyways?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Care to make a wagger on Dobson for next season if he stays healthy? I guarantee you he puts up #1 WR numbers.

Care

[/QUOTE]

Sure, I would love to.  But first, what do you consider #1 WR numbers?  Many people on this forum (see my Decker thread) are saying Eric Decker isn't a #1, he is more of a #2 WR yet he had over 1288 yards and 11 td's last season.  1000+ yards and 13 td's the previous year.  So let's hear what your #1 wr stats would be for Dobson.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Thanks again to BB."

Umm....BB has completed messed up the WR position since Moss/Welker (which was genius). 

Amendola is looking like a terrible contract and losing Edelman would add salt to that wound. 

I give thanks to BB for a lot of things, but savvy handling of the WR position is definitely not one of them. 

Can he draft a WR who can stay on the field? This last crop was a disaster from a health standpoint. 

I just hope if he makes a run at Sanders he won't use another low ball "oh well we tried" offer. 

I would take cap hell over wide receiver hell right about now.

Sections
Shortcuts