Free agent WR news

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Re: Free agent WR news

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

I do agree with TFB though that we should have resigned Welker. I was very upset that day.

everyone uses the arugment that Welker look old now, that's bcz PM lead his ducks into strong safeties so Welker got killed all year.

he would've been fine all year here and had a good season

The problem is when you take that kind of a beating , after years of taking almost as bad a beating from safties and LB's going across the middle, you can turn old very fast...there's only so much tgrauma anyone can take, regardless of what kind of condition you're in...don't forget, these guys now use their offseason to get rest (not being hit) but getting stronger and in top condition for the rigours of real competition...their conditioning actually goes down during the season, it's why they started lifting programs DURING the season...all teams do it now...15 years ago that was unheard of...

Once a footballers body starts turning old, it can go fast...Welker also has to worry about concussions..they are cummulative and potentially debilitating soon after playing is over...that also has to take a toll on effectiveness....They probably should have signed him...but what's done is done...I doubt they try to get him again

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also, Hakeem Nicks IS NOT a deep threat. Victor Cruz is the Giants' deep threat, not Hakeem. Hakeem is a possesion WR.

Do you not know what a deep threat entails, TFB12? Speed is a must. Moss, and his 4.3 speed, was a deep threat, T.O. ,and his 4.6 speed, was a possesion WR.

[/QUOTE]

Victor Cruz is not the Giants deep threat.  If you want to designate one Giant as a deep threat that would be Rueben Randle. 

Okay, now that that is settled...

Hakeem Nicks can get down field.  Any player who can get down field over 20 yards and catch the ball then that is what I am after.

If we have a problem here between who we want to label a deep threat and who isn't then we could debate all season long.  I couldn't care less.  I would like the Pats to get a vet receiver who can get down field, past 20 yards and get the ball.  Dobson did that 6 times last season.  Nicks does it 14 times a season, a couple years ago  Nicks had 20 receptions past 20 yards.  Moss in 2007 had 18 receptions past 20 yards.   If Moss had 18 receptions over 20 yards in 2007 and Nicks had 20 receptions over 20 yards a couple years ago and you want to label Nicks a possession receiver instead of a deep threat receiver then fine by me.  Get us a taller possession receiver who can get down field past 20 yards and get the ball.  Decker did it 19 times last season.  Again, Dobson 6.

You guys seem to be basing deep threat by speed only.  If so, then REALLY? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Haha, clueless they are TFB12,  hang in there man.  The real folk in this house know your a true blue pats fan, don't let these turkeys get under your skin bro...

we felt the pats should have signed WELKER, and boy they could have used him once again last year.  sure, edlemans production was nice!  But no one saw that coming, not even the pats!   Moving on now, the pats still need a vet outside the numbers.  Nicks could be that guy, and I heard chatter on this board for rowdy Rooddy white which would be cool with me....let's see how things shake out.

[/QUOTE]

I hear you loud and clear Noise!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

First of all, the irony of a Welker fan boy calling for big WRs is not lost on me. Weren't you the one crying that the Pats should've done everything in their power to keep Wes Welker, the tiniest WR in the NFL?

Secondly, we can argue over whether Decker is a deep threat or not (Anybody can be a deep threat with Denver's OL that made Peyton the least sacked, hurried, hit or pressured QB last season), but we won't argue whether Decker can beat press coverage. Maybe against scrubs like Arrington, but against above average CBs? Hell no. Dennard can take him out, can you imagine what Talib would do to him (Secretly hoping the Jets sign him so that Talib can smack him around and have you eat your words) ? =D

As far as you calling for big WRs, James Jones and Nicks are 6'1 and both run 4.60+ 40s(We already have Thompkins 6'0 4.56). Dobson is 6'3 and runs a 4.42, 4.40, 4.44, Boyce is 5'11 and runs a 4.38, can bp 20 reps  (fast and physical).

[/QUOTE]

So I can't want the shorter guys for the slot and the taller guys for the outside?  I find it funny you think that is odd.  Man, you need to go back and read what I have been writing or are you just ignoring what I write so you can disagree? I said I want a taller,  outside receiver who is physical.  Joe made a list, I responded to the list.  Out of the list if they can't get a taller WR then I would be good with Nicks.  He is at least 6'1", not the 5'10" and 5'11" that is on his list.  You keep bringing up that we have Dobson.  Again, where was Dobson after the bye week?  9 Games that he didn't do anything.  He had only 6 receptions over 20 yards.  He only had 4 td's.  Why isn't he a red zone threat?  How many passes did he drop?  What happens if he is hurt and misses games this coming season.  Who else is there?  Far too many questions with him.  I really find it hard to believe this is such an issue with a couple of you.   

[/QUOTE]

Brady fell in love with Gronk and Edelman became new Welker. Brady has a habit of forcing the ball to guys he "trusts".  Plus, Dobson got hurt one week after the BYE, no surprise he was MIA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

First of all, the irony of a Welker fan boy calling for big WRs is not lost on me. Weren't you the one crying that the Pats should've done everything in their power to keep Wes Welker, the tiniest WR in the NFL?

Secondly, we can argue over whether Decker is a deep threat or not (Anybody can be a deep threat with Denver's OL that made Peyton the least sacked, hurried, hit or pressured QB last season), but we won't argue whether Decker can beat press coverage. Maybe against scrubs like Arrington, but against above average CBs? Hell no. Dennard can take him out, can you imagine what Talib would do to him (Secretly hoping the Jets sign him so that Talib can smack him around and have you eat your words) ? =D

As far as you calling for big WRs, James Jones and Nicks are 6'1 and both run 4.60+ 40s(We already have Thompkins 6'0 4.56). Dobson is 6'3 and runs a 4.42, 4.40, 4.44, Boyce is 5'11 and runs a 4.38, can bp 20 reps  (fast and physical).

[/QUOTE]

So I can't want the shorter guys for the slot and the taller guys for the outside?  I find it funny you think that is odd.  Man, you need to go back and read what I have been writing or are you just ignoring what I write so you can disagree? I said I want a taller,  outside receiver who is physical.  Joe made a list, I responded to the list.  Out of the list if they can't get a taller WR then I would be good with Nicks.  He is at least 6'1", not the 5'10" and 5'11" that is on his list.  You keep bringing up that we have Dobson.  Again, where was Dobson after the bye week?  9 Games that he didn't do anything.  He had only 6 receptions over 20 yards.  He only had 4 td's.  Why isn't he a red zone threat?  How many passes did he drop?  What happens if he is hurt and misses games this coming season.  Who else is there?  Far too many questions with him.  I really find it hard to believe this is such an issue with a couple of you.   

[/QUOTE]

Plus, Decker can play in the slot, little guys aren't exclusive to the slots. Cruz is a slot, he's 6'0.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

Plus, Decker can play in the slot, little guys aren't exclusive to the slots. Cruz is a slot, he's 6'0.

[/QUOTE]

I guess I don't get the point of your post here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You want big WRs, but a tiny slot when big WRs can play on the slot. Anquan Boldin plays in the slot, Hernandez played there...you don't need to be a midget like Welker to play there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You want big WRs, but a tiny slot when big WRs can play on the slot. Anquan Boldin plays in the slot, Hernandez played there...you don't need to be a midget like Welker to play there.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, I get what you are saying.  There are a lot of shorter receivers names being thrown around this discussion.  I don't want a 5'10 WR playing wide, put him in the slot. I want a receiver who as at the least 6'1 to go wide, if he plays some slot fine but put him wide and work that middle to deep field.  There are not a lot of taller WR names being tossed around here or FA.  So all I am saying is go out and get a 6'1" + WR so we can line him up wide (if he plays the slot sometimes that's fine) and send him 20+ yards so he can go up and get the ball.  Spread that defense and open the run game and the short passing game.  Upon up the field.  That's what a guy who can go get the ball at 20+ yards can do for a team.

NEXT question, insult, or opinion.