free agents and draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

free agents and draft

With a week off maybe it is time to look at what the off season will bring.  Looking at the draft, the Patriots are limited in their picks.  They should get a compensation pick for law firm to go with their current picks.

Areas of need:  OL, WR, safety.

The Patriots have 3 players that need to be resigned:

Talib, Vollmer, and Welker.

Once this is complete, they should look for a free agent WR to compliment their current crop.

Suggestion: Hartline from Miami. 

They should look for a couple of OL in the draft to improve on what they currently have.

I would also look for another LB.  Their current crop is good but they lack depth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: free agents and draft

In response to msteven's comment:

With a week off maybe it is time to look at what the off season will bring.  Looking at the draft, the Patriots are limited in their picks.  They should get a compensation pick for law firm to go with their current picks.

Areas of need:  OL, WR, safety.

The Patriots have 3 players that need to be resigned:

Talib, Vollmer, and Welker.

Once this is complete, they should look for a free agent WR to compliment their current crop.

Suggestion: Hartline from Miami. 

They should look for a couple of OL in the draft to improve on what they currently have.

I would also look for another LB.  Their current crop is good but they lack depth.

Too early to look ahead to the off season for teams still playing football.

That's for fans of teams that are done for the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

hingham - It's never to early. That's the fun part about being fan, we don't have to take it one game at a time. Since we have the week and until we actually know who we are going to play it is a good time to think about this.

msteven - Not sure OL is an area of need honestly. Breaking it down Wendell has been an above average C, the T core has been solid for a large part of the year, Brady has been one of the least pressured QB's in the league, and the running game is getting tough yards when needed. I would say depth and multiple position players would be nice. Maybe, a RG would be good but I don't see it as a need compared to other positions.

Same with S honestly. Moving McCourty to FS has sured up a weak S core. Gregory has been decent at SS and Wilson playing close to the line has played well against the run. Though I might look to upgrade the SS position if they don't think Wilson is going to be that guy I wouldn't call it a need. Now that said I think CB becomes a need. I don't think they will give Arrington what it will take to retain him (someone will give him starter money and he's not a starting caliber CB), Ras is a giant question mark, who knows if they can resign Talib (though I think they will try). With McCourty moving to FS you basically are left with Dennard as a CB as the only non-question mark. To me this is a much more pressing matter then S

WR I agree with, esp if they let Welker walk. Lloyd is a solid WR and affordable and Branch will be on quick dial but Edelman is a question mark if he can stay healthy. Also watch for Hern to make the shift. With Ballard coming back they have 5 solid TE's on the roster next year so Hern might become a larger possession WR next year. I'd be looking for a slot WR (if Welker walks) which imo you can't find anyone better than Amendola as a replacement. I'd also like to find a deeper threat. The draft might be the best place to look for one but I'd like to see Bowe in here. I think Wallace is going to price himself out but Bowe might be within the price range.

One area I'd like to improve in is the interior rush. Right now Deadrick, Francis, Cunningham are filling that role but honestly none of them are suited for that role. All are good sub/situational players and I think Francis has a bright future replacing Nink eventually I'm looking for a 3 down player to put next to Wilfork. I think Love has shown he's good in short stints but I don't think he's a good 2 down starter. This years draft has a lot of interior rushers and some really good DT/NT's out there who are also strong against the run. I'd look at the draft first and foremost but in FA Henry Melton might be one of the better interior presences out there. Randy Starks is another lower cost option who will provide flexibility and be an upgrade over a Deadrick but I think i'd rather use a 1st on a young guy like Jonathan Jenkins as an eventual Wilfork replacement

Another area of need is a coverage LB. Coverage LB's can be very hard to find and honestly I don't know who's out there to bring in. Hoping Fletcher can stay healthy might be the best option or that Tarp can improve his coverage skills going into next year.

I agree though Talib, Welker, and Vollmer should be the main focus this offseason

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the Pats need to address both interior OL and DL, not only with an eye towards 2013, but beyond.

I also think with FA's Talib, Arrington, Chung, Cole all questionable to come back, the DB's also need to be addressed.

I think the Pats carry 4 TE's next season, and Hooma is a free agent. He plays ST's as well, so most likely comes down to Hooma, Fells and Ballard.

Woody and Edelman need to be resigned

Pats free agents;

Edelman, Talib, Vollmer, Wes, Arrington, Chung, Cole, Hooma, Koutavides, Scott, Thomas, White, Woody

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I like Deadrick in the rotational mix, but I think a 4th is needed, especially as Vince ages. I also think that Deadrick is on the smallish size for the position. I dont like Cunningham in that inside position, as he is very small for that position.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

not an Osi fan. One dimensional, expensive, aging. I can live with Nink, Jones, Cunningham, Scott, Francis on the outside....and Vince, Lovie and Deadrick on the inside. I think inside depth and size is where help is needed  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I think the Pats need to address both interior OL and DL, not only with an eye towards 2013, but beyond.

I also think with FA's Talib, Arrington, Chung, Cole all questionable to come back, the DB's also need to be addressed.

I think the Pats carry 4 TE's next season, and Hooma is a free agent. He plays ST's as well, so most likely comes down to Hooma, Fells and Ballard.

Woody and Edelman need to be resigned

Pats free agents;

Edelman, Talib, Vollmer, Wes, Arrington, Chung, Cole, Hooma, Koutavides, Scott, Thomas, White, Woody

Those are a lot of important free agents...

Bill's gonna be busy this offseason...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

not an Osi fan. One dimensional, expensive, aging. I can live with Nink, Jones, Cunningham, Scott, Francis on the outside....and Vince, Lovie and Deadrick on the inside. I think inside depth and size is where help is needed  

Don't forget about Prior coming off IR next year...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to part-timer's comment:

And right on it again next year

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to part-timer's comment:

And right on it again next year

That's okay, PatsEng.  I heard there is a former 2nd round stud from BC who is now available.  I think his name is Ronald Brice something or other.  BB should definitely look to pick him up.  He has all the attributes to succeed next to Big Vince.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

IrishMob7

Are you talking about that force of nature : Roy Bruce? He will probably elbow everyone aside and take over at the top of the depth chart.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I'd like to see the Pats sign Vollmer (physical) and Talib. I leave Welker out because that is largely a financial decision.

Made the mistake of discussing Brady with Rock. My prediction is Brady won't be traded. And that winning an internet argument is alot like winning at the special olympics......you still walk away looking idiotic. Also GF gets home from visiting her folks.....board free for the next three hours.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know Irish, BB generally doesn't miss on DL in the draft. Even his mid to late rounds picks tend to at least give something in a sub/situational role. Brace was the only DL I can remember him picking that I just couldn't figure out why he picked him. It's not like Brace even was all that great in college and he had an all-pro playing next to him. Though, I wanted either Brown or Barwin which was a 50/50 on my part. Barwin has been great but Brown would have been just as bad as Brace in the end. When it comes to DL I trust BB though and this year I hope he trades up a bit to get another interior presence

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

I'd like to see the Pats sign Vollmer (physical) and Talib. I leave Welker out because that is largely a financial decision.

Made the mistake of discussing Brady with Rock. My prediction is Brady won't be traded. And that winning an internet argument is alot like winning at the special olympics......you still walk away looking idiotic. Also GF gets home from visiting her folks.....board free for the next three hours.

Bro, that's not Rock (Rusty).  It's somebody impersonating him.  It's happened several times over the past few years and yet every time a few people fall for it.  Just lookin out for ya.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

IrishMob7

Are you talking about that force of nature : Roy Bruce? He will probably elbow everyone aside and take over at the top of the depth chart.

Roy Bruce, the murderer from Manassas?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

You know Irish, BB generally doesn't miss on DL in the draft. Even his mid to late rounds picks tend to at least give something in a sub/situational role. Brace was the only DL I can remember him picking that I just couldn't figure out why he picked him. It's not like Brace even was all that great in college and he had an all-pro playing next to him. Though, I wanted either Brown or Barwin which was a 50/50 on my part. Barwin has been great but Brown would have been just as bad as Brace in the end. When it comes to DL I trust BB though and this year I hope he trades up a bit to get another interior presence

100% agree, man.  I was just being sarcastic.  It seems Brace was a pretty hot topic over the last week, especially with that moronic tweet that he sent out, so I just figured I'd reference the knucklehead.

Barwin would have looked reallllll nice in a Pats uni, but I'm not about to be one of the typical village idiots who revert to 20/20 draft hindsight.  BB has an exceptional drafting record and I wouldn't want anybody else running the show.  But, the thing is, it's not only drafting(in regards to D-line) that he's great at; he has picked some diamonds in the rough out of UDFA which have worked wonders for this club.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

When you say he doesn't miss on DL in the draft, do you include;

Kade Weston, Ron BRace, Myron Pryor, Darryl Richard, Kareem Brown, Jeremy Mincey, LeKevin Smith, Marquise Hill, Dan Klecko, Ethan Kelley.

BB has hit with Vince, Ty Warren, Seymour

That is every DL that BB has drafted

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Kade Weston, Ron BRace, Myron Pryor, Darryl Richard, Kareem Brown, Jeremy Mincey, LeKevin Smith, Marquise Hill, Dan Klecko, Ethan Kelley.

I believe he said "he doesn't generally miss" implying that he's not perfect, but he's a pretty darn good drafter.  Leave it to you, BB hater, to spin things and have the conversation devolve into a BB bashing thread.  The "misses" that you just listed were mostly 6th and 7th round picks.  Why don't you cite me a GM in the NFL that hits as often as BB does in the later rounds? 

There is absolutely no way you are a Pats fan.  You aren't fooling anybody.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:

his last contract was a 1 year $6million deal. do you know something i don't about his contract demands?

Didn't you hear, Ricky?  Rkarp knows everything about every team!  He knows what GM vacancy will be filled and by whom, what draft prospect will pan out and who won't, what BB should have done instead of what he actually does, which players will demand what contracts, etc.  He's so smart!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Weston - pick #248

Brace - huge flop already admitted that

Pryor - injurer ridden

Richard - pick #234

Brown - pick 127

Mincey - pick #191 and who is a solid starting DE for Jax

Smith - pick #206

Hill - showing promise before his death (you going to say BB killed him?)

Klecko - was productive for the Pats SB team and an Indy SB team, complaint?

Kelley - pick #243

Really man, these are the ones you going to point to as reasons why BB isn't good at picking DL? 1 was productive (Klecko), 1 died before his career really even started (Hill), 1 was injury prone but productive when on the field (Pryor), 1 is currently a starter and productive for another team (Mincey) and the two strong cases for you in Brace and Brown considering they are at least day 2 picks. Show me one GM out there who hits on late round DL.

BTW if you are going to include who he's hit on considering where they were taken how about Green, Deadrick, Francis, Love, Jones who have all provided meaning snaps to the team 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Weston - pick #248

Brace - huge flop already admitted that

Pryor - injurer ridden

Richard - pick #234

Brown - pick 127

Mincey - pick #191 and who is a solid starting DE for Jax

Smith - pick #206

Hill - showing promise before his death (you going to say BB killed him?)

Klecko - was productive for the Pats SB team and an Indy SB team, complaint?

Kelley - pick #243

Really man, these are the ones you going to point to as reasons why BB isn't good at picking DL? 1 was productive (Klecko), 1 died before his career really even started (Hill), 1 was injury prone but productive when on the field (Pryor), 1 is currently a starter and productive for another team (Mincey) and the two strong cases for you in Brace and Brown considering they are at least day 2 picks. Show me one GM out there who hits on late round DL.

BTW if you are going to include who he's hit on considering where they were taken how about Green, Deadrick, Francis, Love, Jones who have all provided meaning snaps to the team 

PatsEng, for the sake of Rkarp's fragile ego, please do not present facts to him that differ from his agenda. 

I couldn't have said it better myself. 

I was actually just thinking about Marquise Hill the other day.  What an absolute tragedy to such a great young man.  By all accounts, he was a great person and how he died was the definition of a selfless act.  RIP, Marquise.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

the DLmen that I have listed were not cherry picked. That list is EVERY DL that BB has drafted. So when you say BB is a great drafter of DL, he has hit on 3 DL in his 11 drafts...Seymour, Warren and Vince.  Lastly, I did miss Jarvis Green, so I stand corrected

There you have it...11 draft years, 14 DL drafted, 4 good picks. You are correct, he is an expert!

Sections
Shortcuts