Free Agents: Resign or Let Walk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FcukUPayMe. Show FcukUPayMe's posts

Free Agents: Resign or Let Walk

There's a few key guys needed to be resigned, but the only two I see worth putting the franchise tag on are Welker or Connolly. I ranked them in order of importance.

Keep:
    WR Wes Welker 
    C Dan Connolly
    RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    WR Matthew Slater 
    DE Mark Anderson
    LB Tracy White
    WR Deion Branch
    S James Ihedigbo 
    DL Gerard Warren

Walk:
    DE Andre Carter
    DE Shaun Ellis 
    RB Kevin Faulk
    CB/S Nate Jones
    CB Antwaun Molden 

Either Or:
    C Dan Koppen
    LB Niko Koutouvides 
    LB Gary Guyton

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Re: Free Agents: Resign or Let Walk

Not sure about Branch, only because they have to develop a young guy.
    And Ihedigbo is back if he's ST only. He's just too much of a libility on defense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

but only up to a certain amount. Can't break the bank, but gotta keep some key people until some else is picked up.

Keep:
    WR Wes Welker 
    C Dan Connolly
    RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    WR Matthew Slater 
    DE Mark Anderson
    LB Tracy White
    DE Andre Carter

Walk:
    DE Andre Carter
    DE Shaun Ellis 
    RB Kevin Faulk
    CB/S Nate Jones
    WR Deion Branch
    S James Ihedigbo 
    DL Gerard Warren
    CB Antwaun Molden

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Keep:
    WR Wes Welker 
    C Dan Connolly
    RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    WR Matthew Slater 
    DE Mark Anderson
    LB Tracy White
    WR Deion Branch
    S James Ihedigbo 
    DL Gerard Warren

Walk:
    DE Andre Carter umm in case you didn't notice he had 10 sacks  something we haven't had in years, definiately in the keep group, this has been his best year by far and he knows it so he shouldn't be too pricy.
    DE Shaun Ellis 
    RB Kevin Faulk
    CB/S Nate Jones
    CB Antwaun Molden 

Either Or:
    C Dan Koppen
    LB Niko Koutouvides 
    LB Gary Guyton

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Only Welker is worth the tag.  To tag Connolly would cost close to $11MM.  I would actually not give Welker a long term deal and would actually tag him this year and next.  He'd get $10.5MM in 2012 and 120% of that in 2013.  He would then be 33 and if he's lost a step, we let him go.

You forgot Wendell, I'd keep him too and probably Ellis over Warren because we don't have a 34 DE except Deaderick if we let Ellis go. 

Keep:
    WR Wes Welker 
    C Dan Connolly
    C/G Ryan Wendell
    RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    WR Matthew Slater 
    DE Mark Anderson
    LB Tracy White
    WR Deion Branch
    S James Ihedigbo 
    DE Shaun Ellis 

Walk:
    DE Andre Carter
    DL Gerard Warren
    RB Kevin Faulk
    CB/S Nate Jones
    CB Antwaun Molden 
    C Dan Koppen
    LB Niko Koutouvides 
    LB Gary Guyton

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: Free Agents: Resign or Let Walk:
    [QUOTE]Not sure about Branch, only because they have to develop a young guy. And Ihedigbo is back if he's ST only. He's just too much of a libility on defense.
    Posted by OscarGamble[/QUOTE]

Ihedigbo is a competent player. He started 12 games at safety for this team in the regular season and all three playoff games. I like him is as an extra DB, but with 15 starts on a team that was one play away does he think he deserves to be a starter somewhere else for more $$$?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

BJGE depends on the money. Letting him go wouldnt be the end of the world.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Let Carter walk? No way !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Let Carter walk? No way !!!
    Posted by PatFanInBA2[/QUOTE]
    Carter turns 33 in May.  Carter tore his left quadriceps tendon and needs surgery, if he hasn't already had it.  I think we'd want to see how he's healing before signing him again as any team would, 10 sacks or not.  I don't know the extent of the injury but at 33, it is time to wonder if he'll be the same player again or if he'll even be ready by Sept.  Faulk wasn't the same and he wasn't much older. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]Only Welker is worth the tag.  To tag Connolly would cost close to $11MM.  I would actually not give Welker a long term deal and would actually tag him this year and next.  He'd get $10.5MM in 2012 and 120% of that in 2013.  He would then be 33 and if he's lost a step, we let him go. You forgot Wendell, I'd keep him too and probably Ellis over Warren because we don't have a 34 DE except Deaderick if we let Ellis go.  Keep: WR Wes Welker  C Dan Connolly C/G Ryan Wendell RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis WR Matthew Slater  DE Mark Anderson LB Tracy White WR Deion Branch S James Ihedigbo   DE Shaun Ellis   Walk: DE Andre Carter DL Gerard Warren RB Kevin Faulk CB/S Nate Jones CB Antwaun Molden   C Dan Koppen LB Niko Koutouvides   LB Gary Guyton
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

The chart I'm looking at shows Wendell signed through next year as well as the following year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agents: Resign or Let Walk : The chart I'm looking at shows Wendell signed through next year as well as the following year.
    Posted by IndianaPatsFan[/QUOTE]

Oh, did they extend him?  Excellent.  Thanks for the info.  I missed that story.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WelkerRules. Show WelkerRules's posts

I like Andre Carter but I do see someones point on the age and surgery. I think ocho should be cut. He basically did NOTHING at all to help this team. Just showed the players how to get on twitter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]Walk: DE Andre Carter umm in case you didn't notice he had 10 sacks  something we haven't had in years, definiately in the keep group, this has been his best year by far and he knows it so he shouldn't be too pricy.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

He is coming off an injury and is going to be 33 at the start of next season so that should bring his price down. However, this was not his best year at all (it was actually his 4th best in terms of sacks and 7th best in terms of tackles). He is definitely going to be looking for money and years in what will probably be his last NFL deal. I would love to keep him, but I suspect he (and Anderson) will cost more than they want to spend.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Kind of strange, but when I look at that list - aside from Welker and Carter, do we need any of them? I mean there are some solid players there (Connolly, BJGE), but no one that isn't replaceable or going to make or break us. I'd be shocked if Branch or Warren were brought back....come to think of it Faulk as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

For me BJGE is an interesting one. Belichick loves him because he doesn't fumble, but his 3.7 yards per carry tie him for 46 of 53 running backs in the NFL with at least 100 carries. I am not sure how many other teams view him as a number one running back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Before thinking about Welker, I'm really REALLY curious what kind of figures are going to be coming his way.

For top WR type money, I'd choose a different player. I love Welker, but given his age, Hernandez being on the team, and the reality of the salary cap...I don't know.

I'd say 3 years, 20 million and see what he says. Make half that a signing bonus, then salaries of 3, 3 and 4. He'd be basically guaranteed 16 over 2, then 4 more if he's still viable at WR at age 33.

It's a harsh business in the NFL, and none are more aware and embrace that more than BB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Before thinking about Welker, I'm really REALLY curious what kind of figures are going to be coming his way. For top WR type money, I'd choose a different player. I love Welker, but given his age, Hernandez being on the team, and the reality of the salary cap...I don't know. I'd say 3 years, 20 million and see what he says. Make half that a signing bonus, then salaries of 3, 3 and 4. He'd be basically guaranteed 16 over 2, then 4 more if he's still viable at WR at age 33. It's a harsh business in the NFL, and none are more aware and embrace that more than BB.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]
    Mike Reiss thinks we'll just tag him and go year to year and I agree.  He would cost $9.4MM in 2012 then 120% of that or $11.28 in 2013.  After that he will be 33 and probably not have the same quicks that has made him so successful as a slot receiver.  At this point we see how he's doing and perhaps work out a 2 year deal like we did with Matt Light and let him retire a Patriot.  This minimizes our risk and there are no top players next year either worthy of the tag.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Last cap number I saw for the Pats was at 85 million. With a few cuts like Ocho, they should have plenty of money to bring a lot of these players back and improve through free agency.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I think Welker on has one or two years left in him.  He takes a pounding every game. Franchise him.  BJGE is overrated.  If he gets a decent offer, let him go.  Ridley and Vereen are the future there.  Connely is a keeper after what he did this year.  This also would give the Patriots another year before using a draft pick on a  center.  Ellis, Carter, Warren and Anderson were all rentals.  Their time is done.  Need to go young big and fast on the DL.  Guyton will be gone. Slater and White should be back.
    Branch will be back as a 3rd or 4th wideout.  
    The rest are role players.  Moving parts.  Some will return.  Some will move one.  Really the end of the roster that BB is always trying to improve on 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I agree with most of this. Though keeping Wes Welker depends on how much of a home town discount he is willing to give. he is the most over-rated player in football. 

He's a slot reciever, who benefits fro the most accurate QB in football. He doesn't threaten a defense. And half of his receptions are there because defenses are willing to allow him to nickel and imde them.

He also has a penchant for running his mouth, and another penchanct for dropping balls because he's afraid of getting hit. That last of which was on full display last Sunday. 

He isNOT, NOT worth top WR dollar. A slot guuy can be replaced. 

He is not a difference maker. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mybologna2. Show mybologna2's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with most of this. Though keeping Wes Welker depends on how much of a home town discount he is willing to give. he is the most over-rated player in football.  He's a slot reciever, who benefits fro the most accurate QB in football. He doesn't threaten a defense. And half of his receptions are there because defenses are willing to allow him to nickel and imde them. He also has a penchant for running his mouth, and another penchanct for dropping balls because he's afraid of getting hit. That last of which was on full display last Sunday.  He isNOT, NOT worth top WR dollar. A slot guuy can be replaced.  He is not a difference maker. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]How high are you?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]Last cap number I saw for the Pats was at 85 million. With a few cuts like Ocho, they should have plenty of money to bring a lot of these players back and improve through free agency.
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

I believe some of Ocho contract is pro-rated signing bonus that will count against the cap even if the cut him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with most of this. Though keeping Wes Welker depends on how much of a home town discount he is willing to give. he is the most over-rated player in football.  He's a slot reciever, who benefits fro the most accurate QB in football. He doesn't threaten a defense. And half of his receptions are there because defenses are willing to allow him to nickel and imde them. He also has a penchant for running his mouth, and another penchanct for dropping balls because he's afraid of getting hit. That last of which was on full display last Sunday.  He isNOT, NOT worth top WR dollar. A slot guuy can be replaced.  He is not a difference maker. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd go this far, Z. Welker takes some pretty big hits and he's pretty effective as a slot receiver, I think, with good ability to find holes in zones.  And he seems to be on the same page with Brady most of the time. 

That said, he's more suited to being a complementary piece rather than the featured receiver. We need someone bigger and faster who can fight for the ball in traffic (along the sidelines or over the middle) and beat defenders over the top.  Really, we need at least two guys like that. I'd like to keep Welker if we can, but I tend to agree that Welker is not worth huge money, especially at this stage in his career. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBBBDynasty. Show TBBBDynasty's posts

why all this hate on ocho honestly. He has more to offer than any receiver on our team except welker. He was buried under a group of targets that tom already knew and that knew the system. Once him and tom were on the same page or almost he would make a good play and than be taken out. He cant make plays if not given the chance. with more reps he'll do fine and he still poses more of a threat to a D than branch

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts