Free Agents: Resign or Let Walk

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: Free Agents: Resign or Let Walk

In Response to Re: Free Agents: Resign or Let Walk:
    [QUOTE]Keep: DE Andre Carter WR Wes Welker  C Dan Connolly RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis WR Matthew Slater  DE Mark Anderson LB Tracy White S James Ihedigbo DE Shaun Ellis Walk: DL Gerard Warren RB Kevin Faulk CB/S Nate Jones CB Antwaun Molden   WR Deion Branch C Dan Koppen LB Niko Koutouvides   LB Gary Guyton
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]

Let us remember that the players have to want to stay. Carter and Anderson in particular may be looking for years and $$$ after putting up double digit sacks. I am not sure what other teams opinions of BJGE and Ihedigbo are, but I would not be shocked for either of them to get offered more money that BB is comfortable with.

The only guy I disagree with you on is Branch. I say bring him back for short money and short years. He is viable as a third receiver still and the 5th or 6th option in the passing game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]Needs in draft/Free agency OLB/DE Mario Williams (UFA) OLB/DE Whitney Mercilus (pick 27) DE/DT Kendall Langford (UFA) DE/DT Jared Crick (94) FS Markelle Martin (63) C Ben Jones (48) WR Mohammed Sanu (31)
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]

This is a good wishlist. I could see Mercilus and Sanu both being gone by pick 27, but that would mean other quality guys would be around.

I love the idea of Williams, but I wonder if after Adalius Thomas BB will make that big of a splash in in free agency. I suspect he will look for other guys like Carter and Anderson who will take short deals at okay money in the hopes of having a good year. 

I like the thought on Langford as well. He is a decent young player who is little taller an leaner than the young linemen we have (Brace, Deaderick, Love).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Carter, Anderson, Branch, Ellis and Warren may retire otherwise they came here for a reason, to win a ring.  They have made plenty of money over their careers, that is not their motivation. Warren was our most dominant defensive lineman after Vince Wilfork, if any or all of these guys want to come back then bring them back, they are playing for the minimum or close to that anyhow so there is no downside beyond age.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

First of all, whoever said Welker is easily replaced is crazy. The guy gets 100+ catches every season! Unfortunately one of his rare drops came at the worst possible time. They'll work out a deal where they can get out of it painlessly after two years. I can't say about Carter. Depending on his surgery, I'd like to see him stick around if he can still play. Mark Anderson was the best pass rusher these last three months, IMO. I'd try to keep him around. I think Faulk will retire. As far as 85 goes, there must be a big enough cap hit to keep him around. If they do I sure hope he has some sort of epiphany during the offseason! Branch should go, he's not the same player he was in 03 and 04. They need to replace him with a Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson type. Big physical WR who can be the deep threat. As good as Welker and the TEs can be a rookie WR could fit the bill. Have to try and keep Connoly, he's been great and can play all the OL positions if needed. I'd also keep BJGE. At least another year until we see if Ridley can hang onto the ball. He's sure handed and runs forward for those tough yards. We don't want another Maroney dancing in the backfield! And Slater is a great ST player, I'd keep him. Just hope they don't try and throw him a long ball as WR! I think they'll be able to make better decisions this time around with a normal FA before the draft. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

[QUOTE]He isNOT, NOT worth top WR dollar. A slot guuy can be replaced.  He is not a difference maker. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Uh? What's up with you? Usually your remarks make a lot of sense but here I completely disagree with you.
    Welker is the WR Brady is having the most confidence with and this season, he just pilled 1569 yds up (only Calvin Johnson did better). You say that he is not a difference maker and can be replaced??? Please, give us the name of a WR who would do better than that and will be a free agent this off-season.
    Do you remember how well the Pats played in the playoff vs the Ravens without Welker? Yeah...
    Give the guy his due (franchise or 2 years contract)!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

All of this is $$$ dependent of course.  I don't see anyone on the list as a keep at all costs player although Welker is close (no disrespect Z, but I disagree with you).

Keep:
    DE Andre Carter (health dependent)
    WR Wes Welker 
    C Dan Connolly
    RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    WR Matthew Slater 
    DE Mark Anderson
    LB Tracy White
    S James Ihedigbo
    DE Shaun Ellis
    WR Deon Branch (touch and go on this one; I could be convinced to let him go)

Walk:
    DL Gerard Warren
    RB Kevin Faulk (it's time for Kevin to hang it up)
    CB/S Nate Jones
    CB Antwaun Molden 
    C Dan Koppen (reluctantly)
    LB Niko Koutouvides 
    LB Gary Guyton

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

All of the players listed are easy decisions. Sign or tag Welker but start working on extensions for both Gronk & Hernandez now. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with most of this. Though keeping Wes Welker depends on how much of a home town discount he is willing to give. he is the most over-rated player in football.  He's a slot reciever, who benefits fro the most accurate QB in football. He doesn't threaten a defense. And half of his receptions are there because defenses are willing to allow him to nickel and imde them. He also has a penchant for running his mouth, and another penchanct for dropping balls because he's afraid of getting hit. That last of which was on full display last Sunday.  He isNOT, NOT worth top WR dollar. A slot guuy can be replaced.  He is not a difference maker. 

Could not disagree with you MORE!

One of the top two reception grabbers FOUR out of the last FIVE seasons.

One of the top two YARDS leaders TWO out of the past THREE seasons.

BUT AND MOST importantly as has been said by many a NFL head coach in interviews. Wes Welker is a guy we specifically game plan to take away many times AND he still beats us.

Is he the greatest thing since sliced bread umm no. Is he the "the most over-rated player in football" LOL please.

Talk about a completely over exaggerated dramatization.

Dropping balls because he's afraid to get hit? What? You are out of your mind!

I am hoping I totally missed the sarcasm here somehow because its completely ludicrous.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agents: Resign or Let Walk : Uh? What's up with you? Usually your remarks make a lot of sense but here I completely disagree with you. Welker is the WR Brady is having the most confidence with and this season, he just pilled 1569 yds up (only Calvin Johnson did better). You say that he is not a difference maker and can be replaced??? Please, give us the name of a WR who would do better than that and will be a free agent this off-season. Do you remember how well the Pats played in the playoff vs the Ravens without Welker? Yeah... Give the guy his due (franchise or 2 years contract)!!!
    Posted by FrogLegs[/QUOTE]

It's not about one guy. If you can get an above average slot guy and outside reciever that trumps just Welker without question. Welker is a great player on the Patriots. Anywere else that doesn't have Brees, Rodgers Peyton etc...a pretty good overall WR. He will be back. In all honesty I don't see his market value that high outside NE were someone is going to be stupid and throw all sorts of bank at him. If they do. Well good for Welker.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Tag Welker?

That'd be about 7-8% of the total cap.

They will have, on the books:
    Name - cap hit (salary/prorated bonus)
    Brady - 15.2 (5.75/3.2 + 6 [roster])
    Mayo - 8.8 (.75/7.8)
    Wilfork - 8.6 (4.5/3.6)
    Light - 8 (3.4/3 + 1.5 [other])
    Mankins - 7 (2.74/4)

For those wondering about:

Ocho - 4.7 (3/1.5)

Including Ocho, that's 52 million. Add in Welker for the cap hit of 9 and you're at 61, just over half of the 2011 cap for 7 players on a 53 man roster.

They can save 6.5 if they cut ties with Ocho and Light but would be stuck with 6.1 in dead money.

These are unnofficial numbers, but I think they are accurate.

They pay 5 people top dollar right now (Brady, Wilfok, Mayo, Light, Mankins), Welker would make 6. This team has suddenly gotten very top heavy. I guess that's partly due to continued success, but it thins out the ranks. Time for some harsh decisions. Light seems to be an obvious casualty, possibly in a trade for a lower pick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agents: Resign or Let Walk : Could not disagree with you MORE! One of the top two reception grabbers FOUR out of the last FIVE seasons. One of the top two YARDS leaders TWO out of the past THREE seasons. BUT AND MOST importantly as has been said by many a NFL head coach in interviews. Wes Welker is a guy we specifically game plan to take away many times AND he still beats us. Is he the greatest thing since sliced bread umm no. Is he the " the most over-rated player in football " LOL please. Talk about a completely over exaggerated dramatization. Dropping balls because he's afraid to get hit? What? You are out of your mind! I am hoping I totally missed the sarcasm here somehow because its completely ludicrous.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

And one of those seasons he had an 'off' year after coming back from major knee surgery in, what, 6 months?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free Agents: Resign or Let Walk : It's not about one guy. If you can get an above average slot guy and outside reciever that trumps just Welker without question. Welker is a great player on the Patriots. Anywere else that doesn't have Brees, Rodgers Peyton etc...a pretty good overall WR. He will be back. In all honesty I don't see his market value that high outside NE were someone is going to be stupid and throw all sorts of bank at him. If they do. Well good for Welker.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

They have one. His name is Aaron Hernandez.

You may have seen him cutting back once or twice during the season.

Just add a 3rd TE and Hernandez slides easily into that role. I'm missing those two big TEs they cut preseason.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with most of this. Though keeping Wes Welker depends on how much of a home town discount he is willing to give. he is the most over-rated player in football.  He's a slot reciever, who benefits fro the most accurate QB in football. He doesn't threaten a defense. And half of his receptions are there because defenses are willing to allow him to nickel and imde them. He also has a penchant for running his mouth, and another penchanct for dropping balls because he's afraid of getting hit. That last of which was on full display last Sunday.  He isNOT, NOT worth top WR dollar. A slot guuy can be replaced.  He is not a difference maker. 

I have to disagree with you here. Welker is clutch and Brady's first read and go to guy when he needs a first down  WW also is great as far as yards after catch.
    I honestly think your off base saying he's afraid to get hit. I have seen that guy get crunched countless times and he jump back up like nothing happened, He always catches the ball in traffic and pound for pound - I think Welker is the toughest SOB in football today.

Look at Bedards comments here. He basically outlines what Wes Welker can do and can not do as a wide receiver.

16. Welker is not an acrobatic catcher: Most of the time. He made terrific diving catch to the 1-yard line against the Jets, but he laid out for that ball. Welker was thrown 10 passes before the Super Bowl when he had to leave his feet to make the catch and he caught eight of them. On seven of the passes (six receptions), Welker jumped straight up from a standstill to attempt the catch. Of the other three that were much more difficult, Welker had one against the Eagles that could have been considered a drop (he would have landed on his feet if he did catch it). Against the Steelers, Welker made a tough leaping catch towards the sideline for a minimal, but important 2-yard gain to pick up a first down. Against the Raiders, Welker made perhaps his best catch of the season – the one that probably makes Welker believe he should have caught the ball in the Super Bowl. On third-and-6 late the third quarter, Welker ran a corner route towards the sideline from the right slot. Brady threw a beautiful pass over the trailing cornerback and Welker’s inside shoulder. Welker had to leave his feet and take a brutal shot to the back from the safety. But Welker held on. That was a sensational catch. But it didn’t have to be made running full speed and twisting back over the other shoulder, like Welker was asked to do in the Super Bowl.
  17. Backshoulder is rare: Brady only threw four back-shoulder throws downfield to Welker all season. Not one was thrown high. They all hit Welker in the stomach, or high in the chest. And receivers don’t expect backshoulder throwns when they’re in space. Back-shoulder is used when the defender is playing tight coverage underneath. The receiver knows the ball is coming, the defender does not. The Packers, with Aaron Rodgers and Greg Jennings, missed on a very similar play early in their NFC divisional loss to the Giants. The quarterback has to make the right decision. There were a handful of plays that were similar to the Giants play during the season. Almost every time, Brady was fine with exposing Welker to contact and throwing towards a charging safety. We’ll detail those tomorrow.

18. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/02/dont_blame_welk.html

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In a piece now posted on ESPNBoston.com, Mike Reiss analyzes receiver Wes Welker's contract negotiation with the Patriots.
    Bill Belichick's remarks Monday could have just as easily applied to receiver Wes Welker as they did the New England Patriots' 2011 season: "It's not about one game or one play or anything, it's the whole body of work."

Welker's inability to haul in an inaccurate throw from quarterback Tom Brady late in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLVI, a play that could have helped seal a victory but instead helped set the stage for the New York Giants' remarkable comeback, has been sliced, diced, analyzed and then dissected some more in recent days.

Some have asked if the play could impact contract negotiations between the sides, as Welker is scheduled for unrestricted free agency. It shouldn't. Belichick's words reinforce that thought.

No receiver has caught more passes than Welker over the last five seasons and his value to the team isn't diminished by the heavily debated Super Bowl play. The same issues that have held up an extension to this point remain in play.

Reiss then dissects those issues, sharing the viewpoint from each side of the negotiating table. To read the piece, CLICK HERE