free agents

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: free agents

The OL is pretty shaky but Mankins is clearly the best of that bunch. So it mystifies me why some folks would want to unload him. He's an All Pro, stays healthy, and is versitile enough to switch between guard and tackle. Plus he's one of the few Pats with an attitude and he'll cover a teammates back whenever there's a dustup on the field. He's one of the last people I'd want to ship away.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

I guess in part it is frustration, but it's also frustration of having a lowly ranked defense 5 years running. That is a fact.

I might not cut Mayo, but I sure the hell would Mankins. I have no interest in paying a guard what we pay him - no way - we can find someone else cheaper that can't handle a speed rush up the middle. This guy has had some terrible games over the last three years, certainly far too many for a guy getting paid what he is. His money could be used better elsewhere. It's my opinion, I know that, but do you think all the players I listed in my original post will be here next year? Be honest.

[/QUOTE]

Cutting Mankins would be stupid imo.  He gets way too much criticism here.  He and Solder are basically on an island every play because of the injury to Vollmer and struggles of Connolly and Wendell.  He still makes a lot of really positive plays.  The fact that we'd only save about 2.5 million against the cap by cutting him makes it more obvious.  If you think we're going to find a better guard than Mankins at that salary I think you're crazy.  The guy made another pro bowl last year.  Sure reputation helps there, but he was also named 2nd team all pro and ranked as a top 100 player according to his peers coming into the season.  He isn't some JAG.

As for the guys you listed the only one who might not be here next year is Vince.  The rest there isn't enough of a salary cap gain to justify cutting them.  Cutting Vince would save us 8 million against the cap next year.  Unless he agrees to restructure on team friendly terms I would cut him considering the injury he is coming off of (as much as it pains me to say it).

[/QUOTE]

Terrific post Mankins had a great game against the Ravens. He's the best offensive lineman on the Patriots and one of the best in the league. I don't understand why guys can't see that, cause I think he's worth every penny he squeezed out of Kraft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to Footballexpert45's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think there are several people that are going to have to be asked to take a pay cut...Mankins, Amendola, Wilfork, Mayo, Gronk and Arrington. If any of those guys refuse, I'd take a long look at their salary cap hit and make a decision on their future here. Gronk will be protected by his injury, so you can't cut him, but Arrington you can. Mankins I'd just flat out cut anyway...no negotiating...bye bye. I'd tell Amendola he needs to make 4 million a season instead of 7, if he doesn't want to do that...bye bye. I'd tell Vince, we love you man, but we can't pay you 10 million a year. I'd tell Mayo, hey Jerod we stink with or without you, you make little difference in that equation, you want to stay? Well we can't keep paying you like you're a difference maker because you aren't...I'm not saying you are as bad as Hightower, but you're nothing close to Patrick Willis and we're paying you to be Patrick Willis. As for Arrington I'd tell him, hey I can walk up into the stands and find someone better than you, in fact the guy selling cotton candy over there can do better playing on the outside...I can't believe I paid you 4 million a year to run in a straight line for ten yards before falling on your face. Give me what I paid you last year or I'm going to have Dennard punch you in the face.

I figure we can save 10 million by doing all of this, that should be plenty of money for Bill to spend on other guys that can't play.

I still see Gronk have much trade value, get some picks for him and sign a big time safety or safeties.

[/QUOTE]

Worst analysis ever. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I think Spikes is gone.  Mayo or Hightower will get shifted inside and Collins will be the new starting OLB.  If Spikes is gone though, I hope Hightower will pickup the "nasty" slack that will be left in Spiles absence.  He's certainly got the size and strength.  As much as it would pain me to see Spikes go, I think the money he is going to command would be better served elsewhere. 

Edleman...  If anyone has ever earned a spot here it's him.  He deserves to be here, and gives us everything that Welker did or Amendola could.  It would be a shame to lose him, but he is going to draw big looks and bucks to be sure.  If we can get a reasonable home discount I say sign him in a heartbeat.  But he could command Welker/Amendola like money.

Talib.  No player in years has singlehandedly shaped our D like Talib has.  When he's back there and healthy, our D has another level and look to them altogether.  There have been long stretches where he has played like the best corner in the NFL this year.  Even with his questionable hip issue, he is going to draw an absolutely monstrous contract.  Not Revis like, but certainly up there.  Can BB bring himself to cut that many other players to sign that big of a contract?  I'm not sure if he can.  However out of all the FA's we have, this guy might be the most important and mandatory to sign of them all. 

To be blunt, sign Blount.  He is the absolute perfect compliment to Ridley and Vereen, and gives us a 3 headed monster backfield that IMHO is the best in the league.  Also he can takeover if Ridly goes down or gets tossed back in the doghouse.  I don't think he will break the bank and see him as a key signing. 

Hoomanawanui should also be signed.  He's improved a great deal, and adds solid depth and change of pace to our TE roster.  Another affordable and worthy signing. 

Wendell...  Torn on this one.  He's earned himself a place here, is a solid player and a very good center.  He also allows us flexiblilty on the line as he can play more than one position.  However, like most of our good offensive lineman of the past he could command a sizeable pay increase.  Almost every other team drools at the prospect of getting one of Dante Scarnecchia ex players, and for good reason.  While he still needs work in pass coverage, he's a monster run blocker.  Would love to see him here again, but am not going to cry if BB chooses to spend that money elsewhere. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

get talib back for the right $

i would love to see JE11 back but i doubt it...

dont even offer wendell a contract. not a joke

also you forgot spikes who they should also re-sign for right $

[/QUOTE]

Right now, the cap hell pats have 120 committed for next year.  Need a new NT, Wilfork is done. Need two new TEs, someone to play the 8 games Amendola will miss.  Yep, cap hell.  Is it back to the well named Tom Brady?

[/QUOTE]

Hey girl! HAve not seen you for a little while. Cap hell in New England means winning 12 games and challenging for the SB. Cap hell in your doll house means getting excited you might get to .500.

You should stick to figure skating. You dont understand the aspects to team sports or contact sports.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think there are several people that are going to have to be asked to take a pay cut...Mankins, Amendola, Wilfork, Mayo, Gronk and Arrington. If any of those guys refuse, I'd take a long look at their salary cap hit and make a decision on their future here. Gronk will be protected by his injury, so you can't cut him, but Arrington you can. Mankins I'd just flat out cut anyway...no negotiating...bye bye. I'd tell Amendola he needs to make 4 million a season instead of 7, if he doesn't want to do that...bye bye. I'd tell Vince, we love you man, but we can't pay you 10 million a year. I'd tell Mayo, hey Jerod we stink with or without you, you make little difference in that equation, you want to stay? Well we can't keep paying you like you're a difference maker because you aren't...I'm not saying you are as bad as Hightower, but you're nothing close to Patrick Willis and we're paying you to be Patrick Willis. As for Arrington I'd tell him, hey I can walk up into the stands and find someone better than you, in fact the guy selling cotton candy over there can do better playing on the outside...I can't believe I paid you 4 million a year to run in a straight line for ten yards before falling on your face. Give me what I paid you last year or I'm going to have Dennard punch you in the face.

I figure we can save 10 million by doing all of this, that should be plenty of money for Bill to spend on other guys that can't play.

[/QUOTE]

I'll chalk this up to frustration at the loss last weekend, but if you honestly believe we should cut Mayo and Mankins well I'm glad you aren't running our front office.

[/QUOTE]

I guess in part it is frustration, but it's also frustration of having a lowly ranked defense 5 years running. That is a fact.

I might not cut Mayo, but I sure the hell would Mankins. I have no interest in paying a guard what we pay him - no way - we can find someone else cheaper that can't handle a speed rush up the middle. This guy has had some terrible games over the last three years, certainly far too many for a guy getting paid what he is. His money could be used better elsewhere. It's my opinion, I know that, but do you think all the players I listed in my original post will be here next year? Be honest.

[/QUOTE]

You might not cut Mayo? Is that anything like "I might not cut Brady"? Sort of a boneheaded way to start a post... so what else do you ahve to "say"... you sure as hell would cut Mankins?! WOW.... You are one dim light.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

The thread touched on free agents like Talib, Edelman, Spikes and Wendell. Other players whose contracts expire at the end of the season are Blount, Hoo-man, Mulligan, Kline and Fletcher.  If Blount continues to play as he is playing, wonder whether he will go out to the free agent market?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The thread touched on free agents like Talib, Edelman, Spikes and Wendell. Other players whose contracts expire at the end of the season are Blount, Hoo-man, Mulligan, Kline and Fletcher.  If Blount continues to play as he is playing, wonder whether he will go out to the free agent market?

[/QUOTE]

The after affect of having the serial killer in jail is $7 million less next year to spend on free agents.  Players can expect a Hernandez tax in negotiations this year to stay with the team.  This offseason is going to hurt like a bandaid getting ripped off quick and no team discounts = not playing here next season. 

I don't expect miracles, but here are the players in order of how I want them resigned:

Edelman, Talib, Hoo, Blount, Spikes, Fletcher, Wendell, Kline

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Here comes the hate, but no one is high priority. As we've seen Brady do with Welker and now Amendola, give him time to build report with a WR and he can turn them into a 100 catch WR. This offseason, Brady spent most of his time with Amendola and Edelman throwing passes to them. 

Josh Boyce is who BB views as the slot guy. Give Brady an offseason to work with Boyce and you'll get another 100 catch WR. 

Talib can walk, Dennard and Ryan are fine. Wendell blows, drafts a C in round 1. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lopez8173. Show lopez8173's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

get talib back for the right $

i would love to see JE11 back but i doubt it...

dont even offer wendell a contract. not a joke

also you forgot spikes who they should also re-sign for right $

[/QUOTE]

Right now, the cap hell pats have 120 committed for next year.  Need a new NT, Wilfork is done. Need two new TEs, someone to play the 8 games Amendola will miss.  Yep, cap hell.  Is it back to the well named Tom Brady?

[/QUOTE]

agree that we need a NT. Vw is done imo too. we can draft 2 TEs that'll be no cap. and good point on DA lol

[/QUOTE]

no way is Vince done. He will be in a contract year and will come back as good as ever. Dont forget some of those big guys (Ted Washington) seem to play forever. We do need another NT to groom behind Vince and TK who will be back.

[/QUOTE]

80% of SKILL players do not EVER return from a blown out achilles.  1)Fat Vince is not a skill player 2)Fat Vince is.....mmmm....fat.  3)Old fat Vince is....mmmm....old.  Good news, though, I don't think that all 10 mil is guaranteed for next season. So, here's the decision.  Keep old fat Vince recovering from a blown achilles at 10 mil or cut him at say 3 or 4 mil and move on.  Hmmmm, what would BB do?

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should focus on what your beloved team is doing and why NFL's laughingstock of the league your jets are not making the playoffs and you fat gasbag couch rex ryan getting the can soon rather than what the pats are doing.... You reek of serious jealousy and in a sense it's understandable since your beloved jets are lost bunch of words we can hardly describe here lol.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Pat's are looking at cap savings these are the likely candidates:

Connolly - 3M cap savings 1.1M dead money

Soap - 2.75M cap savings 1M dead money

GREGORY - 2.35M cap savings 833k dead money

Kelly - 2.5m Cap sabings 500k dead money

At a minimum Gregory has to go. I can see a posible re-structure for Connolly and Kelly,Soap is most likely gone.

I think another candidate for re-structure might be Ghost. I believe next year is the last year of his contract and they can extend him out for probably 3 more years

I agree but add Wilfork on to the list. $11.6mil cap hit only $3.6mil if cut for a savings of $8 mil. Now I don't want to cut Wilfork and rather extend him and move most of that base salary to bonus over the extension but $11.6mil is way to much. That figured will be addressed one way or another

[/QUOTE]

They won't restructure VW, he has no leverage. They'll cut him and resign him to a minimum salary plus incentives deal. If he's not willing, they'll move on. Nice to know you, when you're done in Oakland we'll have a nice party for you. 

Mankins has one year of leverage left, they'll keep him in '14 and won't restructure because they can cut him after next year and save $7 mil. He'll be in the same situation as VW is now.

With some restructuring like this, they'll have $15 to $18 mil in cap space. Plenty to resign JE and possibly Talib.  They can also postpone a strategic release until June 1, spreading the dead money over two years. That would make cutting a guy like Arrington more palatable by reducing his dead money to a point where it's below his cap hit, although then you hamper your 2015 space.

For the life of me, I don't understand this burning desire to cut Amendola. He is exactly who they thought he was when they signed him. There is just no way they expected him to be a Pro-Bowler because he never was close to that and he was not underutlized in St. Louis. In other words, he wasn't like Welker when they signed him from Miami. He's a serviceable receiver and his contract reflects that. It's fine, it was basically a guaranteed two year deal. If they want to move on from him, they'll do it next year when his dead money goes way down.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll chalk this up to frustration at the loss last weekend, but if you honestly believe we should cut Mayo and Mankins well I'm glad you aren't running our front office.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You might not cut Mayo? Is that anything like "I might not cut Brady"? Sort of a boneheaded way to start a post... so what else do you ahve to "say"... you sure as hell would cut Mankins?! WOW.... You are one dim light.

[/QUOTE]

What else do I have to say? I would cut Mankins if it would save us money, because having the highest paid guard in football who gets handled by quick defensive tackles is not acceptable. Now if you want to say he had a great game at left tackle Sunday, that's fine, I agree 100%, but if you think that makes him worth being paid what he is to play guard, I disagree 100%.

And you want to talk about Mayo? I'd love to talk about Mayo - he has a 40 million dollar contract - if Vince and Kelly had stayed healthy we wouldn't of missed a beat without him. Collins is covering better than he ever has as a rookie...a rookie! And Spikes takes on blocks and stuffs the run better than him. I'm not saying he is terrible, I'm saying if we could save a lot of money by not keeping him, I don't think it would hurt us nearly as much as you think. I think he is overrated. We are going to be 12-4. Our defense has problems right now, well guess what? It had problems every single year he has been here...every single one. He has made little difference in that equation. Again I'm not saying I'd get rid of him, but I am saying I'd consider it if his cap number was above 6.5 million, because I don't think he's worth that.

Now if you want to put Mankins into the HOF and have him make a permanent switch to left tackle, where he will add 5 years to Brady's career, great! But neither is going to happen. He'll be back at guard where he has a good game, three bad ones, a average one, a good one, four bad ones, a good one, a great one, a bad one, three average ones, a bad one (playoffs), a average one (playoffs), a terrible one that costs us the game (Super Bowl twice).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Pat's are looking at cap savings these are the likely candidates:

Connolly - 3M cap savings 1.1M dead money

Soap - 2.75M cap savings 1M dead money

GREGORY - 2.35M cap savings 833k dead money

Kelly - 2.5m Cap sabings 500k dead money

At a minimum Gregory has to go. I can see a posible re-structure for Connolly and Kelly,Soap is most likely gone.

I think another candidate for re-structure might be Ghost. I believe next year is the last year of his contract and they can extend him out for probably 3 more years

[/QUOTE]

I agree but add Wilfork on to the list. $11.6mil cap hit only $3.6mil if cut for a savings of $8 mil. Now I don't want to cut Wilfork and rather extend him and move most of that base salary to bonus over the extension but $11.6mil is way to much. That figured will be addressed one way or another

[/QUOTE]

They won't restructure VW, he has no leverage. They'll cut him and resign him to a minimum salary plus incentives deal. If he's not willing, they'll move on. Nice to know you, when you're done in Oakland we'll have a nice party for you. 

Mankins has one year of leverage left, they'll keep him in '14 and won't restructure because they can cut him after next year and save $7 mil. He'll be in the same situation as VW is now.

With some restructuring like this, they'll have $15 to $18 mil in cap space. Plenty to resign JE and possibly Talib.  They can also postpone a strategic release until June 1, spreading the dead money over two years. That would make cutting a guy like Arrington more palatable by reducing his dead money to a point where it's below his cap hit, although then you hamper your 2015 space.

For the life of me, I don't understand this burning desire to cut Amendola. He is exactly who they thought he was when they signed him. There is just no way they expected him to be a Pro-Bowler because he never was close to that and he was not underutlized in St. Louis. In other words, he wasn't like Welker when they signed him from Miami. He's a serviceable receiver and his contract reflects that. It's fine, it was basically a guaranteed two year deal. If they want to move on from him, they'll do it next year when his dead money goes way down.

[/QUOTE]

His contract doesn't reflect serviceable. His contract pays him to be much more than that...I want to say they are giving him 7 million per year, if that is the case it's too much for him. I imagine when they gave him that they expected him to be more than just a slot guy - they expected him to catch that touchdown in Miami, they expect him to play in most games, they expect him to be better than an aging Welker...I don't think they're getting that. Don't get me wrong, he's better than when we signed Ocho, but they cut Lloyd last year because of his contract...they could do the same with this guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Brady WILL NOT let his #1 receiver go in back to back years. I know it, BB knows it, Gisele knows it, Edelman knows it, Welker knows it, Mr Kraft knows it and you should too!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from geek. Show geek's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Muzwell makes ense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

My FA wish list:  

1. resign Talib 3 years if possible.

2. resign endelman 3-5 if possible

3. resign spikes- we need the nastiness he brings to this defense.

4. sign alex mack, C, Cleveland - stud center would would help solidify the center of our offensive line against big DT/NT

5. if he wants to take a discount to finally be on a winning team sign Jared Allen, DE, Minn.  He is older and has never gone deep into the playoffs and has already made a great deal of money.  A ring would be the feather in his cap to making it into the HOF.  

6. resign andre carter - solid rusher, great vet leadership, good depth

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to natesubs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My FA wish list:  

1. resign Talib 3 years if possible.

2. resign endelman 3-5 if possible

3. resign spikes- we need the nastiness he brings to this defense.

4. sign alex mack, C, Cleveland - stud center would would help solidify the center of our offensive line against big DT/NT

5. if he wants to take a discount to finally be on a winning team sign Jared Allen, DE, Minn.  He is older and has never gone deep into the playoffs and has already made a great deal of money.  A ring would be the feather in his cap to making it into the HOF.  

6. resign andre carter - solid rusher, great vet leadership, good depth

[/QUOTE]

I like everthing but the last 2. Those guys are over the hill for real man. This D needs to get quicker, not slower and what has Jared Allen done lately?? I would rather wait on bequette.but rest of the plan sounds solid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Spikes is gone.  Mayo or Hightower will get shifted inside and Collins will be the new starting OLB.  If Spikes is gone though, I hope Hightower will pickup the "nasty" slack that will be left in Spiles absence.  He's certainly got the size and strength.  As much as it would pain me to see Spikes go, I think the money he is going to command would be better served elsewhere. 

Edleman...  If anyone has ever earned a spot here it's him.  He deserves to be here, and gives us everything that Welker did or Amendola could.  It would be a shame to lose him, but he is going to draw big looks and bucks to be sure.  If we can get a reasonable home discount I say sign him in a heartbeat.  But he could command Welker/Amendola like money.

Talib.  No player in years has singlehandedly shaped our D like Talib has.  When he's back there and healthy, our D has another level and look to them altogether.  There have been long stretches where he has played like the best corner in the NFL this year.  Even with his questionable hip issue, he is going to draw an absolutely monstrous contract.  Not Revis like, but certainly up there.  Can BB bring himself to cut that many other players to sign that big of a contract?  I'm not sure if he can.  However out of all the FA's we have, this guy might be the most important and mandatory to sign of them all. 

To be blunt, sign Blount.  He is the absolute perfect compliment to Ridley and Vereen, and gives us a 3 headed monster backfield that IMHO is the best in the league.  Also he can takeover if Ridly goes down or gets tossed back in the doghouse.  I don't think he will break the bank and see him as a key signing. 

Hoomanawanui should also be signed.  He's improved a great deal, and adds solid depth and change of pace to our TE roster.  Another affordable and worthy signing. 

Wendell...  Torn on this one.  He's earned himself a place here, is a solid player and a very good center.  He also allows us flexiblilty on the line as he can play more than one position.  However, like most of our good offensive lineman of the past he could command a sizeable pay increase.  Almost every other team drools at the prospect of getting one of Dante Scarnecchia ex players, and for good reason.  While he still needs work in pass coverage, he's a monster run blocker.  Would love to see him here again, but am not going to cry if BB chooses to spend that money elsewhere. 

[/QUOTE]

wendell is good depth but I wouldnt sign him as a starter. You can get anyone to just be servicable as he has been. He DID have a much better game vs the Ravens as I noticed him with a key blitz pick up and some stellar play but we cant sign him. Let him walk and get a real C so we can dominate the trenches next year. Other than that, I agree with everything.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

....For the life of me, I don't understand this burning desire to cut Amendola. He is exactly who they thought he was when they signed him. There is just no way they expected him to be a Pro-Bowler because he never was close to that and he was not underutlized in St. Louis. In other words, he wasn't like Welker when they signed him from Miami. He's a serviceable receiver and his contract reflects that. It's fine, it was basically a guaranteed two year deal. If they want to move on from him, they'll do it next year when his dead money goes way down.

[/QUOTE]

His contract doesn't reflect serviceable. His contract pays him to be much more than that...I want to say they are giving him 7 million per year, if that is the case it's too much for him. I imagine when they gave him that they expected him to be more than just a slot guy - they expected him to catch that touchdown in Miami, they expect him to play in most games, they expect him to be better than an aging Welker...I don't think they're getting that. Don't get me wrong, he's better than when we signed Ocho, but they cut Lloyd last year because of his contract...they could do the same with this guy.

[/QUOTE]

Ugh, where do numbers like $7 mil come from?  Someone hears a number and they run with it, even if it has zero basis in reality.

Amendola's salary this year was $2 mil, cap hit $3.5 mil. Is that the salary of someone you expected to be elite? Maybe the media had that expectation, but maybe that's why their media and not running a team.

Next year, which is effectively the last year he's guaranteed to be on the team, his salary is $3 mil and his cap hit is $4.7 mil. Again, nothing crazy. Welker is due to be paid $8 mil next year, by way of comparison.

Both numbers go up $1 mil per year through 2017, but after next year they can cut him or restructure because the dead money goes way down, from $6.8 mil if they cut him after this year (which is why he's guaranteed to be on the team in 2014) to $3.6 mil next year then to $2.4 mil and then to $1.2 mil. 

There's nothing to see here. His contract is entirely reasonable and fair for a player of his abilities. I hope JE will take a similar deal this year.

Sections
Shortcuts