Freeney Agree with Chargers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Freeney Agree with Chargers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204165/article/dwight-freeney-reaches-agreement-with-chargers

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Freeney Agree with Chargers

As I mentioned in another thread on the same subject, I guess Freeney just wants one more payday before hanging up the cleats.  He isn't interested in winning Championships at this stage of his career.  With that, I am glad he didn't come to NE!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

As I mentioned in another thread on the same subject, I guess Freeney just wants one more payday before hanging up the cleats.  He isn't interested in winning Championships at this stage of his career.  With that, I am glad he didn't come to NE!!

Agree.  Maybe Abraham's the guy.  Are they making cap room for him by dumping Love and Deadrick?  Could be.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Glad he isn't coming to NE.   I don't think he would have been a good fit with the Pats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't think that either Freeney or Abraham had any intention on signing here. I think they were leveraging their intentions to gain a bigger payday elsewhere's. I like our present roster guys and really don't see a glaring need for another DE/OLB type player. Collins or Jones would have to fail miserably before i would consider signing another D-Lineman. They still have Francis,Bequette,Forston,and Ninkovich as guys they can put on the other side of Jones.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

He wasn't a fit in the Colts 3-4, & just went to a team that runs a 3-4. It was all about the payday. If he doesn't put up decent numbers in the first season of the contract, there may not be a second season.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Glad he isn't coming to NE.   I don't think he would have been a good fit with the Pats.

Agree. On the other hand I wouldn't mind seeing Abraham, I think he might have one or two Brian Cox type years left in him

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I don't think that either Freeney or Abraham had any intention on signing here. I think they were leveraging their intentions to gain a bigger payday elsewhere's. I like our present roster guys and really don't see a glaring need for another DE/OLB type player. Collins or Jones would have to fail miserably before i would consider signing another D-Lineman. They still have Francis,Bequette,Forston,and Ninkovich as guys they can put on the other side of Jones.

Agree, but if the market falls for us and he picks here, I think 2.5 is a reasonable number.

The problem with players like this at this point of their careers is the ego and the ability of them to set it aside and maybe take a slightly reduced role without it being a problem. I bet SD guaranteed a starting role to Freeney which is in no way what BB would do here.

Freeney was so delusional he thought he could get 6 mil per with ease. He came close at 4, but then again SD isn't the wisest organization these days either.

The only name you mention that is a 4-3 DE by trade exclusively is Bequette and he's probably closer to the bubble. So, Abraham would be competing with him, which would be a tutor role and a role (4-3 sub rusher on 3rd downs or in strategic situations - think Jarvis Green), so we only have Bequette and Justin Francis as exclusive 4-3 DEs into 2013.

That's not enough for camp.  You would expect an Abraham to beat out those two, which is fine, but then you have either Bequette or Francis be the back up and the guys that learn from Abraham.

Basically, Abraham would need to be into what Adrian Wilson is doing for the Safeties.

That's what BB would be looking for probably at around 2.5-3 mil and maybe just for 1 year.

I would not pay what San Diego just paid! 8.25 mil over two which really means 4.65 because even if he can fool them the first year they will not bring him back in year 2. I could see BB bringing in Abraham if he's in on a make good type of contract. I know they have around 7mil left in cqap space and assuming the other three rookies will sign for about 2.5 total between them,that would leave the Patriots with availible cap space of the neighborhood of 4.5 mil. so whatever BB does it won't be for more than a couple of mil because he likes a surplus of cash for emergancy.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Why do I think you would have been giddy with delight if the Pats signed Freeney? 

I hope they also pass on Abe. They need DT depth, not a sub pass rusher. Bring back Trevor, give Bequette snaps and Collins should play as a number 2. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i think that chandler jones is exclusively a 4-3 DE also. hard to imagine hime dropping back and he's too light to be a 5-technique. anyway while it seemed like the jamie collins pick could signal more 3-4, the love and deaderick release make that seem much less likely. so the more DE pass rushers the better.

your comparison of adrian wilson in terms of contract and playing time and mentoring is a great comparison for what they are probably hoping for from abraham.
    hopefully abraham will take the chance at a ring over a few extra dollars. freeney could grab the cash because he has the ring.

[QUOTE]

The only name you mention that is a 4-3 DE by trade exclusively is Bequette and he's probably closer to the bubble. So, Abraham would be competing with him, which would be a tutor role and a role (4-3 sub rusher on 3rd downs or in strategic situations - think Jarvis Green), so we only have Bequette and Justin Francis as exclusive 4-3 DEs into 2013.

That's not enough for camp.  You would expect an Abraham to beat out those two, which is fine, but then you have either Bequette or Francis be the back up and the guys that learn from Abraham.

Basically, Abraham would need to be into what Adrian Wilson is doing for the Safeties.

That's what BB would be looking for probably at around 2.5-3 mil and maybe just for 1 year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

In response to xxxcrwn's comment:

He wasn't a fit in the Colts 3-4, & just went to a team that runs a 3-4. It was all about the payday. If he doesn't put up decent numbers in the first season on the contract, there may not be a second season.

THat's what makes him signing there even funnier. He's not a 3-4 DE and was miserable in it there last year. He's too old to be pretending his one tricky pony pass rushing and ignoring the run can now be effective as an old 3-4 DE.

lmao

He's also going to a team ranked in the bottom third of the power rankings. It's not like he's got a chance to win a ring. Nice weather & a nice paycheck at the end of his career.

17. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts