Freeney and Abraham visit the Broncos Per Schefter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Freeney and Abraham visit the Broncos Per Schefter

This was yesterday.  I think we should know something today concerning these two guys. also, this must mean the Broncos are moving on without Elvis, especially now that he is visiting with the Ravens.

Do you think the Pats end up with one of the 3 players.. Abraham, Dumervile, Freeney?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Freeney and Abraham visit the Broncos Per Schefter

In response to TFB12's comment:

Do you think the Pats end up with one of the 3 players.. Abraham, Dumervile, Freeney?

Yes.  Abraham, Freeney, Dumervil in that order of likelihood/desirability.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I really don't want Freeney. It's clear he's on the downside of his career and the main part to his game was his speed. Over the last couple years it looks like T's are catching up to him and he's slowing down. He'd give something but I don't think he'd give more then Nink at this point. Abraham on the other hand relies a lot on power and hand work to beat T's. He's still a force at the line and can handle larger quicker T's. I don't see nearly the drop off in Abraham as I do Freeney. Drumervil is the best of the lot but he'll come at a price I don't think the Pats are willing to pay. If they are waiting for Den to decide who they'd rather have I think it might be a mistake to save a small amount (ie like the Welker deal). If Den takes Abraham off the market Dumervil is the only choice in my mind otherwise might as well stick with what we have. I'm hoping Manning pulls some strings and gets Freeney in so we have a shot at Abraham

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

To be perfectly honest, Abraham is the only guy I'd like to see BB sign of the 3.  I think he's a much better fit for the Pats needs at this point than either of the other 2.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

This was yesterday.  I think we should know something today concerning these two guys. also, this must mean the Broncos are moving on without Elvis, especially now that he is visiting with the Ravens.

I am starting to think no. How many teams is a guy gonna visit and then come back to the cheapest organization in N.E. - as a competitor Im sure Elway is trying to get the guy and even in cap hell would be able to offer decent contracts to Either Abe or Freeney. In our position I dont think we can make statments like "I dont want freeney, he is old" well he has a pedigree of being  pass rusher. Dont look at last year where he played out of place as a 3-4 OLB after being a career DE. I guess everyone wants T.Scott and J.Francis back. Did they play vs Bmore?  I yea, they did, just didnt do anything..   smh

Looks like another year of The Pats Riding Bradys arm to the promised land and 2nd tier Qbs throwing for career highs vs our still suspect secondary! I liked the moves offensively so far but our defense has been offensive and I havent seen enough upgrades to this point. Just brining back more guys who were part of the problem(cole, arrington,) So what is gonna change next year defensively??  We gonna blitz Wilson every down?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I really don't want Freeney. It's clear he's on the downside of his career and the main part to his game was his speed. Over the last couple years it looks like T's are catching up to him and he's slowing down. He'd give something but I don't think he'd give more then Nink at this point. Abraham on the other hand relies a lot on power and hand work to beat T's. He's still a force at the line and can handle larger quicker T's. I don't see nearly the drop off in Abraham as I do Freeney. Drumervil is the best of the lot but he'll come at a price I don't think the Pats are willing to pay. If they are waiting for Den to decide who they'd rather have I think it might be a mistake to save a small amount (ie like the Welker deal). If Den takes Abraham off the market Dumervil is the only choice in my mind otherwise might as well stick with what we have. I'm hoping Manning pulls some strings and gets Freeney in so we have a shot at Abraham

agreed. assinine to not get the guy over a mil or 2. shouldve signed him while here or at least offer to beat denvers offer

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

To be perfectly honest, Abraham is the only guy I'd like to see BB sign of the 3.  I think he's a much better fit for the Pats needs at this point than either of the other 2.

+1

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Denver's point of view on the DE possibilities:

Tom Condon factor in Elvis Dumervil saga: 3 horses in 4-horse pass rush race   By MIKE KLIS The Denver Post          

Tom Condon, the agent for the NFL stars, represents three of the four free-agent pass-rushing defensive ends who are currently in play.

Condon represents Elvis Dumervil, most recently with the Broncos, the New York Giants’ Osi Umenyiora and the Indianapolis Colts’ Dwight Freeney. The fourth, Atlanta’s John Abraham, is represented by Tony Agnone/Rich Rosa.

The Broncos first choice is to re-sign Dumervil back, but they are visiting as I type with Freeney and later today with Abraham. They have not expressed much interest in Umenyiora because of his asking price.

The Atlanta Falcons reportedly are visiting with Umenyiora today. The Falcons also have interest in Dumervil.

The Baltimore Ravens want Dumervil. They are not interested in Freeney, Umenyiora or Abraham. Dumervil is their guy.

It seems that of the Broncos, Ravens and Falcons, only the Broncos have interest in Freeney as a backup plan.

A home run for Condon, then, would be to sign Dumervil with the Ravens, Freeney with the Broncos and Umenyiora with the Falcons. Condon, of course, has always said it’s about clients’ interests not his. And he has told the Broncos the problem with their latest three-year proposal to Dumervil is year two. He has asked them to tweak it but as of Wednesday night the Broncos had not budged.

Still, Agnone and Rosa are the underdogs in this race. They could pull off an upset by signing Abraham to the Broncos. Which is a distinct possibility considering Abraham has far better recent production than Freeney.

As a side note to this agency battle, Agnone/Rosa represented Umenyiora until last summer, when he signed with Condon. It would make for a fascinating documentary. Or an interesting blog in First-and-Orange.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Based upon this article the only guy the Patriots would be interested in would be Abrahams TC isn't well liked with the New England brass.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I am starting to think no. How many teams is a guy gonna visit and then come back to the cheapest organization in N.E. - as a competitor Im sure Elway is trying to get the guy and even in cap hell would be able to offer decent contracts to Either Abe or Freeney. In our position I dont think we can make statments like "I dont want freeney, he is old" well he has a pedigree of being  pass rusher. Dont look at last year where he played out of place as a 3-4 OLB after being a career DE. I guess everyone wants T.Scott and J.Francis back. Did they play vs Bmore?  I yea, they did, just didnt do anything..   smh

Looks like another year of The Pats Riding Bradys arm to the promised land and 2nd tier Qbs throwing for career highs vs our still suspect secondary! I liked the moves offensively so far but our defense has been offensive and I havent seen enough upgrades to this point. Just brining back more guys who were part of the problem(cole, arrington,) So what is gonna change next year defensively??  We gonna blitz Wilson every down?

I am not a big fan of Cole but Arrington does play better as Star. In any case the real point in the secondary is that after aquiring Talib our pass D was actually pretty darn decent. In the low 70s for QB rating (down from the 90s!) and under 60% completion percentage. If the trio of Talib, Dennard and McCourty are healthy we are not so bad. Wilson the younger has had a year to learn and he is billed as a smart guy. Wilson the older gives us a hitter who can be that tweener of S and LB. Gregory is not great but adequate and has a year in the system under his belt. And Arrington is OK in Star.

So if the startrers are healthy I think it is an improvement - a meaningful one. BUt I must agree that they need more depth - someone will get hurt somewhere along the line - and they need a better pass rush. Both will likely be very important if not critical (think "who is healthy" come AFC Championship game and SB time).

My first chioce would not be an old guy like Abraham or Freeney or a guy who does not fit this D at all like Dumerville. But if one of them helps the pass rush then so much the better.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Ian Rapoport         Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 1h

Sounds like the DE party (Abraham, Freeney) has concluded in Denver. My understanding is it's more due diligence in case Dumervil leaves.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm sure we will end up with none.  Thank God we still have Arrington.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

LOL - I was going to say you can bet whoever is the cheapest will end up at NE but you might be right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Brad34's comment:

LOL - I was going to say you can bet whoever is the cheapest will end up at NE but you might be right.

Oddly enough you might be right, they are looking at Vaughn Martin which would be a vet min contract type of player...  Hopefully if they add Vaughn Miller they still bring in an Abraham and Martin would just be a camp body

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

J ason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1h

Chargers are hoping to retain Vaughn Martin, but plenty of competition. Eagles, Lions, Saints and Pats are also interested

Martin is 6'3" 331. They could get both DT and DE.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Gotta get one of them...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Oddly enough you might be right, they are looking at Vaughn Martin which would be a vet min contract type of player...  Hopefully if they add Vaughn Miller they still bring in an Abraham and Martin would just be a camp body

I dont know who Vaugn Martin is but you obviously dont believe in him cuz you have Von Miller on your mind. I never heard of the guy. I'll put him in the J.Francis, T.Scott - J.A.G. profile. Thanks for the update...   lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I dont know who Vaugn Martin is but you obviously dont believe in him cuz you have Von Miller on your mind. I never heard of the guy. I'll put him in the J.Francis, T.Scott - J.A.G. profile. Thanks for the update...   lol

lol, yeah he's basically a JAG DT who startered some games in SD and basically didn't do very much. Similar to Love actually and yes that was a slip. I was thinking pass rusher and the Vaughn and Von got mixed up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Pittsburgh Steelers Rumored Interest in Dwight Freeney Makes Little Sense

The Pittsburgh Steelers were forced to cut James Harrison because of their salary cap situation. That means they are in need of a pass rusher for the right side of their defense. Since the release of Harrison the Steelers have been linked to multiple draft prospects as well as veteran free agent Elvis Dumervil, who was recently released by the Denver Broncos. Now multiple reports indicate that the Steelers have interest in former-Colts pass rusher Dwight Freeney.

http://steelblitz.com/

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

How can the Steelers afford Freeny?....I hope they do sign him because then it'll be that much easier to sign Emmanuel w/o a matching offer from the Steelers.

Yah, and it looks that Atlanta is trying to get Osi by this weekend.