Fri66in Nuts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Fri66in Nuts

I generally don't complain much, but there are a couple of things on this board that drive me fri66in nuts.

1.  The frequency at which players are referred to as "beasts".  Someone please clarify what the definition of this word is because as it stands, about 90% of the players mentioned on here seem to fit the category.

2.  The frequent assumption that a given FA would be willing to sign a "team friendly deal", just to come to NE, regardless of their age or recent production.  Reality:  It's a money driven business and 99% of the player out there want theirs.

There, I feel better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Fri66in Nuts

Completely agree.

I'll add a third point: clueless fans that can't appreciate what Belichick and company have assembled in New England for more than a decade. To these fans, it's unacceptable when we don't win 59-0; it's unacceptable if we don't get Larry Fitzgerald and Julius Peppers signed; when Belichick doesn't draft paper tigers like Dez Bryant and instead, drafts a 'special teams guy' like Devin McCourty.

As for your second point, I think it's fan-speak when we think a player will sign a team-friendly deal. The truth is only aging veterans who are still seeking the elusive ring will sign here for a team-friendly deal. Ideally, the average player would rather go to the Jets because a) their coach is a loudmouth who talks sh!t like they do on the field (and off it) and b) they'll give you what you want if you just hold out and cry a river. The Patriots aren't cheap, they just believe in a team model: if you want to win, we'll put together a team where the average player makes more but the stars make a bit less to even it all out. You can't argue with the model, it's clearly worked.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

1. Agreed. Or, when someone calls someone "great".  Can we leave the word "great" for the elite players?

2. I disagree slightly here. I think some players truly want to get paid AND have a chance to win, so I think there are exceptions and NE is clearly still a top notch landing spot for free agents, especially veterans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

1. Agreed. Some one called Julian Edelman a beast after he returned a punt for TD.

2. Agreed again. No one is going to take a huge discount just to come and play for us. Julius Peppers made that very clear when he left for Chicago. I don't recollect many Vets who took a pay cut to play for us. Randy Moss is the only player in his prime, who comes to mind. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Fri66in Nuts:
    [QUOTE]1. Agreed. Some one called Julian Edelman a beast after he returned a punt for TD. 2. Agreed again. No one is going to take a huge discount just to come and play for us. Julius Peppers made that very clear when he left for Chicago. I don't recollect many Vets who took a pay cut to play for us. Randy Moss is the only player in his prime, who comes to mind. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Posted by Patsfan038[/QUOTE]

I honestly think the meeting with Peppers was either a smokescreen or it was an exploratory meeting where they just wanted to discuss his interest in playing in a 3-4, where they maybe explained to him what they'd have him do. We don't know what the offer was to Peppers so in all fairness, it's unfair to say Peppers didn't consider New England because our deal was way off. We don't know.

And Moss had no choice. Nobody was willing to take him. It was us and Green Bay from my recollection and Moss had no say in the matter because if he did, I'm sure he would have ended up in Green Bay; I know he's always wanted to play on a team with Favre. Even when we gave him that deal, it was a very fair deal for a guy that was supposedly on the decline.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Well, I suppose the term "beast" is conjecture, different people use it for different meanings to be sure. There are a lot more annoying things here sometimes, IMO! But it is annoying when you see four different threads calling for them to sign "so and so" who is a top name FA. Belichick doesn't sign many of those, as they tend to be of the "get paid" and "me" crowd. The last one was AD, and that didn't work out too well. Moss was traded for a 4th round pick, so that was a bit different. And he couldn't even find work after Thanksgiving. But it is boring to hear the pleas of people who say their guy is the only thing missing! I also totally agree with Ap's third point. One playoff loss and suddenly Bill has "lost it"! I expect many of these posters became fans sometime in the last 20 years. Those of us who remember the dark days (after a December game at old Schaeffer Stadium sitting on the aluminum bench your a s s wouldn't thaw out until the next Wednesday!) are thrilled with this run of winning seasons! I also never hear these guys say just who they think would be a replacement for BB! In the offseason it's worse, as there's no real-time football going on. At least in April we'll have some draft picks to discuss.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"That gunslinger fires bullets, rockets & bombs & outta the shotgun, this guy's aim is deadly. Guy's got a receiver that looks like an animal, & he does run like a deer, tell'ya that beast's got some alligator arms & looks like he thinks he'll get eaten alive out there...can't hold on to the pigskin either.  Doesn't even matter though, the way the zebras are herding our pack's efforts in... Hey! Is that a red-dog or a wildcat? Uggh, shoulda tried a flea-flicker...now they're gonna have to pooch kick it."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]Well, I suppose the term "beast" is conjecture, different people use it for different meanings to be sure. There are a lot more annoying things here sometimes, IMO! But it is annoying when you see four different threads calling for them to sign "so and so" who is a top name FA. Belichick doesn't sign many of those, as they tend to be of the "get paid" and "me" crowd. The last one was AD, and that didn't work out too well. Moss was traded for a 4th round pick, so that was a bit different. And he couldn't even find work after Thanksgiving. But it is boring to hear the pleas of people who say their guy is the only thing missing! I also totally agree with Ap's third point. One playoff loss and suddenly Bill has "lost it"! I expect many of these posters became fans sometime in the last 20 years. Those of us who remember the dark days (after a December game at old Schaeffer Stadium sitting on the aluminum bench your a s s wouldn't thaw out until the next Wednesday!) are thrilled with this run of winning seasons! I also never hear these guys say just who they think would be a replacement for BB! In the offseason it's worse, as there's no real-time football going on. At least in April we'll have some draft picks to discuss.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

One brilliant suggestion was Bill Cowher. To replace Belichick.

(take a moment to catch your breath)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

I agree with this thread. I am so sick of people coming on this site and giving their damn opinions. And dont get me started on adjectives. Whats with all these people describing nouns? From now on every opinion must be backed up by five documented facts and signed by a notary public. I want this damn site to read like a phone book like it was meant to!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

mbeaulieu07~ you are one of the most knowledgeable and respected posters on here...

DUDE YOU"RE A BEAST!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

someone has to be a wiseazz Cool

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Moss got 9 M per, thats not really that team friendly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donk3. Show donk3's posts

[QUOTE] when Belichick doesn't draft paper tigers like Dez Bryant and instead, drafts a 'special teams guy' like Devin McCourty.

I watched Dez Bryant play at Oklahoma State and he was absolutely the best football player on the field in every game he played.  To say he is a paper tiger is just wrong.  He was having a great season until the injury.  When he is in the pro bowl next year I hope you retract your statement.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fri66in Nuts : [QUOTE] when Belichick doesn't draft paper tigers like Dez Bryant and instead, drafts a 'special teams guy' like Devin McCourty.      I watched Dez Bryant play at Oklahoma State and he was absolutely the best football player on the field in every game he played.  To say he is a paper tiger is just wrong.  He was having a great season until the injury.  When he is in the pro bowl next year I hope you retract your statement.
    Posted by donk3[/QUOTE]

Instead of 'paper tiger', the point I was making was this: he's probably going to be a great player but his character issues were a huge red flag for the Patriots. While he did play well for the Cowboys while healthy, there's already been reports of the previous Dallas staff having to appease him at every step of the way. I believe Patrick Crayton also said so himself after he left the Cowboys. He was the sexy pick that many here wanted Belichick to make but when he picked McCourty, 90-95% of the folks here were outraged. They read that he was great on special teams and used that to say Belichick spent a first round pick on a special teams player. That, I took issue with. I was shocked too but I said I'd give Belichick the benefit of the doubt instead of saying the guy was 'losing it.' Our offense did fine so it's not like we needed Dez Bryant. In the end, I believe McCourty will have a longer, more fruitful career than Dez Bryant.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agreed. Sasquatch is a beast. Suh is a really good football player. Never been a fan of the "let's sign and trade guys" like we run our fantasy team. Real football does not work that way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Yes, "beast" is overused, like "star" once was, or "superstar" after that.

A reasonable number of players, not everyone but far more than zero players, would choose to take a pay cut to come play for a known winner.  If nothing else, players who play for winners then go out onto the free agent market and get double what they're worth.  For a very few players and coaches it would make long-term economic sense to play for the Patriots for free, just to gain bargaining leverage.  Some players specifically ask to be signed to a winner.

For example, Randy Moss had no bargaining leverage whatsoever when Oakland was through with him, although he knew he could still play the game.  One year setting touchdown records with the Patriots and his value skyrocketed.  At that point the Patriots started shelling out the medium high dollars for Moss, although someone like Dan Snyder might well have paid more for Moss on the free market.

Numerous players great and ordinary have left the Patriots and have gone on to big fat hairy contracts.  Matt Cassel got peanuts for sitting on the bench year after year, and then suddenly he passed the $14 million mark at full speed. 

Logan Mankins got paid so little by the Patriots that he just sat out four preseason games and seven regular season games, the better to wait for the $10 million per year or more contracts. 

Tully Banta-Cain was a walk-on bit player.  He left for millions.  Then he couldn't play in San Francisco.  Then he came back.  Then he got ten sacks in a year.

The Patriots have been in the playoffs or at least right on the bubble for ten years straight.  Nobody has the Patriots' kind of record.  If you want a pedigree that you can sell later, come to Foxboro.

In this type of market, the Patriots prosper from being a destination NFL team.  They can sign more talent for less money, and with the salary cap they then can go on the field and win more games against teams who sign less talent for more money.  The concept may be fri66in nuts but that's how things work in the show-me-the-money world of the NFL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, "beast" is overused, like "star" once was, or "superstar" after that. A reasonable number of players, not everyone but far more than zero players, would choose to take a pay cut to come play for a known winner.  If nothing else, players who play for winners then go out onto the free agent market and get double what they're worth.  For a very few players and coaches it would make long-term economic sense to play for the Patriots for free, just to gain bargaining leverage.  Some players specifically ask to be signed to a winner. For example, Randy Moss had no bargaining leverage whatsoever when Oakland was through with him, although he knew he could still play the game.  One year setting touchdown records with the Patriots and his value skyrocketed.  At that point the Patriots started shelling out the medium high dollars for Moss, although someone like Dan Snyder might well have paid more for Moss on the free market. Numerous players great and ordinary have left the Patriots and have gone on to big fat hairy contracts.  Matt Cassel got peanuts for sitting on the bench year after year, and then suddenly he passed the $14 million mark at full speed.  Logan Mankins got paid so little by the Patriots that he just sat out four preseason games and seven regular season games, the better to wait for the $10 million per year or more contracts.  Tully Banta-Cain was a walk-on bit player.  He left for millions.  Then he couldn't play in San Francisco.  Then he came back.  Then he got ten sacks in a year. The Patriots have been in the playoffs or at least right on the bubble for ten years straight.  Nobody has the Patriots' kind of record.  If you want a pedigree that you can sell later, come to Foxboro. In this type of market, the Patriots prosper from being a destination NFL team.  They can sign more talent for less money, and with the salary cap they then can go on the field and win more games against teams who sign less talent for more money.  The concept may be fri66in nuts but that's how things work in the show-me-the-money world of the NFL.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Good post.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]mbeaulieu07~ you are one of the most knowledgeable and respected posters on here... DUDE YOU"RE A BEAST!!!
    Posted by harleyroadking11[/QUOTE]

Ha, nice man.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with this thread. I am so sick of people coming on this site and giving their damn opinions. And dont get me started on adjectives. Whats with all these people describing nouns? From now on every opinion must be backed up by five documented facts and signed by a notary public. I want this damn site to read like a phone book like it was meant to!
    Posted by tenacioust[/QUOTE]

Post of the year! LMFAO!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fri66in Nuts : Post of the year! LMFAO!
    Posted by tenacioust[/QUOTE]

Lol, can we DO this?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

When I think of beasts, I think of Sasquatches and how for my high school senior thesis in English, I did mine on "The Definitive Proof of The Sasquatch" (actually, I was much more sophmoric in language skills & well- "thinking" en masse, so I probably didn't use the word "definitive" but maybe "lotsa" in that title)...  Everyone else was doing their's on boring stuff, like the potential long-term consequences hidden within the ostensible benefits of free-market trade...  Boooring (whateverTH it is).  Nope=Sasquatch, it was, hands down.  But suprisingly, the school library really had considerably subpar info in the Sasquatch department.  I went in thinking that there just might be a "Bigfoot Section" in the library, at least an aisle's worth.  There isn't.  Anyway, that #sshole gave me a D+, which imo was extremely unfair considering I started typing it the afternoon of the night it was do.  I mean, I DID all the research well BEFOREhand (Couple newspaper articles, 1 page from TIME, AND 1 Discovery Magazine COVER article...and I ain't even mentioning the small book I got from the Young Adults section either).  JESUS, YOU try doin 10-12 typed pages from that meager supply to work with...  Sh#t, I was outta info so fast that I started INVENTING facts on the BigFoot by Page #4...  Like, The First Documented BigFoot sighting came from William English on Roanoke Island, and some researches have purported the novel theory that it was the sasquatch population who might have been responsible for that lost virginia island colony's demise...  I think I sorta fudged the reference for this info, and attributed it to something like, "American People's Readers Monthly Magazine, Article 1, page 2-100, copyright XXL+YZ.  I had to digress so much just to fill up page room, that I'd say things like: "Sasquatches have been known to throw rocks, some believe this might be a form of primitive communication. Perhaps, the differing sounds some rocks make when they hit other rocks offer as varying semantics & words in this sasquatch language. It is highly unlikely that this rock throwing has led to the development of some sort of primitive 'rocks-paper-scissors' game, although such a game could be used to settle sasquatch disputes...and etc., etc., etc.," I think by the page end, I was discussing Roger Hornsby's name sounding like a brass instrument.  D+, chr!st whata hose-job...  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

[QUOTE]Moss got 9 M per, thats not really that team friendly.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]
    That salary was for season 2008-10. For 07, he took a significant pay cut from 9 mil to 3 mil a year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

[QUOTE]" That gunslinger fires bullets, rockets & bombs & outta the shotgun, this guy's aim is deadly. Guy's got a receiver that looks like an animal, & he does run like a deer, tell'ya that beast's got some alligator arms & looks like he thinks he'll get eaten alive out there...can't hold on to the pigskin either.  Doesn't even matter though, the way the zebras are herding our pack's efforts in... Hey! Is that a red-dog or a wildcat? Uggh, shoulda tried a flea-flicker...now they're gonna have to pooch kick it ."
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

funny!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

a beast....lawrence taylor, andre tippett, reggie white, deacon jones, dick butkis, rodney harrison... players with unmatched desire, an never ending motor and a mean streak to put punishment on the opponent

get paid...  younger players that are fa's on the first go round...want the jing...

as they get older and have made their money..i would say some would be more apt to take less so they can become champions... rodney harrison, tedy bruschi....  but then there are some that still want the jing... randy moss...

case by case basis on that point but its a good one...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

don't forget "feed your family" thats just like get paid but its a smoke screen so us fans will feel sympathy for the poverty stricken player.