Front Heavy Contracts in Uncapped year.....good idea?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jason4444444. Show Jason4444444's posts

Front Heavy Contracts in Uncapped year.....good idea?

I don't pretend to be an expert when it comes to the salary cap or NFL contracts. It seems to make sense to me to give free agents like Wilfork, Faulk, Green etc contracts that are extremely front heavy. Why not spend the money this year to have these players locked up for reasonable amounts when/if a cap comes back next year. To me it makes sense for an organization and I think the Krafts can afford it. I would also like to see something like this happen for Brady, Moss and others who are in their last year of their current contract.
    I know that BB said that he is not doing any negotiating until after the SB but I would not be surprised if he has been trying to empty the pockets of the Kraft family in order to be productive moving forward.
    I know this sounds overly simplified but in the changing NFL I want the Patriots to  be trend setters.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Re: Front Heavy Contracts in Uncapped year.....good idea?

You know I was thinking the same thing. Give Wilfork a nice juicy number for the 1st uncapped year then 5-6 mil over the rest of the contract. 

You could probably create some future cap space doing that. I'd also do that for Brady since he did offer some flexibility with his last contract. 

Now I don't know what kind of limitations there are to doing this. Obviously Kraft's pocketbook is one limitation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

Sounds like a heck of an idea. I'm all for it. Thankfully we still have Floyd Reece for the contracts negotiations. At least we have some experience there, unlike our coaching assistants.

Anyways, I think it would be very smart to offer these front-loaded deals and takle advantage of this year with no salary cap. The Free Agent market looks to be the worst one in a while so we need to keep our valuable players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Not going to happen.  The Patriots are too cheap.  They will hold the line, and in the end, they will lose these players.  They will draft "Value" picks and try to fill the vacant spots.  Next year at this time we will all be wondering what is wrong with the Patriots.  The only way to fix this franchise is from the top down.  Players dont want to come here anymore.  Why?  Simple!  They get no respect!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

You cant cut a salary of a player more then 50% a year. Bonuses count as salary and ARE PRO RATED the life of the contract. Its not as easy as you think it is. The Pats web site in their PFW article has a good explanation of how it works.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

One guy on here suggested 2 contracts, say a one year 20mil, and than a 5 year 20mil.  Then the player would get his money and they could meet the cap in future years.  The Pats are not cheap they pay thier players, and they max the cap every year.  How that money is distrubited year to year changes.  In 06 Seymour was the highest paid player in the NFL. 

The question is, are the owners going to go on a spending spree when they are trying to get the players to take a pay cut? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Sounds great but you also have to understand that the Patriots are a business and will have a budget whether there is a cap or not.  Kraft isn't going to spend an extra $30 mil next yr.  And people who say "Kraft has plenty of money" just don't get it.  People don't buy businesses to sink their own money into them.  Last but not least, Kraft has become a very influential amongst the NFL owners.  They are fighting to keep player costs down and this will probably get very contentious before the 2011 season.  I can't see Kraft being one of the owners trying to circumvent the system.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

msteven u obviously arent a pats fan or no nothing of the team.  They are not cheap, spend near the top every year.  If u have no clue, dont yap.

philskiw, signing bonuses are spread over the contract length, BUT roster bonuses count just for that year(the one they are paid in).  So in theory we can sign Brady for say 7 years and 105 mil aka 15 mil a year average, but make say 70mil a roster bonus and he counts 5 mil a year after that as a salary or however it is broken down. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I think front loading is a great idea and some team will exploit the advantage. I hope the Pats are one of the teams that are aggressive and try to exploit it. I think they can survive without front loading bc Wilfork can be franchised, but they would miss a huge opportunity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Do the pats and any other team have to pay any salaries during a lock out year? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

what would motivate the player to play hard during the later years when he already got most of his pay in the early years? in the case of mordecai's brady example, perhaps it will work because a brady will have the innate drive (i even question why given that he can go home comfortable to giselle). but what if it were a player that does not have that drive?

i can just imagine so many players claiming injury. well, there's your solution to the concussion problem.

it's not that simple.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

seattlepat70, you are correct and it would need to be judiciously used in that manner.  Yes too many would just be lazy after that big contract.  BUT it would be useful for those that just love the game and I think VW is one of them.  I would add Brady, Mayo, Mankins and ghost to that last for us.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

FYI

stolen from PFW

If 2010 becomes "uncapped," why wouldn't teams utilize this for future salary cap implications? For Example, why wouldn't the Pats re-sign Brady now, with the entire signing bonus hitting this year so his future years' salary cap hits aren't so high?
    Kyle Witkoski

Because that's not how the salary cap works. When a player is awarded a signing bonus, he typically receives the lump sum right away. For accounting purposes, however, that number is divided by the number of years of the contract. The resulting figure is called the "prorated" portion that is applied to the player's salary cap number each season.

For example, if you sign a 5-year, $20 million contract, $10 million of which is your signing bonus, you would get your $10 million up front, along with your salary for that year, whatever that number is. However, your cap number for each of the five seasons would be your salary for that year, plus $2 million (the prorated portion of your signing bonus). So, as you can see, giving Brady a huge signing bonus in an uncapped year wouldn't help the Patriots alleviate their salary cap burden. What they might be able to do, in your example, is give Brady (or any other player, for that matter) hefty sums in other kinds of bonuses (workout, roster, makeable performance goals, etc.) that aren't prorated.
    Erik Scalavino

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Im willing to bet the new CBA will punish the teams that spend crazy this offseason on the uncapped year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We don't have as many "needs" as people here let on, resign our own free agents such as Wilfork, Mankins, Bodden and Brady and keep moving.  We didn't lose this season because we were short on talent, we lost because we were short on coaching... coaches don't count against the cap so we should splurge in this area.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jason4444444. Show Jason4444444's posts

Wozzy, I agree that if we sign the right players and have a DECENT draft (especially with all the 2nd rounders we have) we will be in a great position moving forward.
    As to the front heavy contracts I am still unsure if we are able to do this. People are saying that ussually the contracts are accrued over time but I was under the assumption that they did that to keep costs low.
    As to players not having any incentive to play hard later in this type of contract, I would argue that it is the opposite. As they get to the end of their contract, that is not paying them much anymore they would want to prove that they are still elite players and can get another contract.
    I just can't wait to see what this team looks like in 2010...

Sections
Shortcuts