FULLBACK

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

FULLBACK

I was thinking that in the Jets loss the Jets we’re going nickel/dime defense a lot or at least it appeared that way.  This may not have been an option if the Pats had a better running game.  A great fullback for a team like us that has maybe the passing attack could be a great addition.   If we ran plays from the I formation or split back formation with wood head and a bulldozer full back we could not only grind an extra yard or two but teams might have to respect our running game more, then if we ran playaction in a tight formation with 1TE, FB, HF 2WR both on the outside and sent out the TE and Woodhead  Brady would have 4 options to throw to all over the field, a full back to block to him and hopefully a Def looking for the run.  Just a thought.  I’d also love to see us close out games with a 2TE FB HB formation and basically bash the opponent in submission to end the game.

Any thoughts, this is my 2nd discussion so don't destroy me to much.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: FULLBACK

the problem with the jets game is that the jets were able to stay close to the LOS. we didn't have a deep threat to spread out their defense.  While i beleive a FB would be a great help I just don't see it as a priority.  One good thing is we will be getting a FB back from Military committment whom we drafted a few years ago. Kettani?  At the beginning pf the season hernandez and crumpler were used as a FB which were quite effective but with the injury of hernandez and the need for crumpler as a lineman we couldn't play that game

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Eric Kettani - http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=33676

His status is unclear. Has anyone heard anything?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

A fullback can definitely help a running game, but the issue I have with a fullback in the Patriots offense is that it takes one of the talented tight ends off the field when they're in a "big" package, that usually features a combination of Gronkowski, Crumpler, and Hernandez.  Running out of the two tight end set can be just as effective as a traditional I-formation, as long as the tight ends are good blockers, which Gronk and Crumpler are.  And they are a bigger threat in the passing game than the fullback would probably be, so I'd stick with the multiple tight ends.  In goal line situations, BB likes to plug an offensive lineman in at fullback, which has been effective in the past as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

I concur with the need of a FB.  We have suffered too much from a lack of big, mean, nasty attitude that last few years.  Plus, we have lost starters on the OL/DL to injury w/ goalling FB duty (ie, Seymour, Hochstein, Connolly) in the past.  If this Navy kid, Kettani can play, would love to see him, but Heath Evans, John Kuhn and Lawrence Vickers are available as FA.  All 3 can hit like trucks, plus Heath & Kuhn can run & catch.  However, I would love to bring Evans back bc he plays mean and angry.  Loved him when he was on the Pats. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

What is a f-u-l-l-b-a-c-k? Never heard of such a thing around these parks... Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

A guy like Henry Hynoski, though, primarily plays fullback but has the size and skill set to be a tight end as well. He may be a good option in the fourth or fifth round for the Pats who can be the successor to Alge Crumpler.

Other options are Stanley Havili and Charles Clay. They are good runners in their own right while also being capable lead blockers and pass catchers. Either can come in and fill a role similar to Sammy Morris.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think the Pats were helped by guys like Marc Edwards, Heath Evans, and Patrick Pass.  Wouldn't mind seeing someone on the team like that now.  Granted, fullback isn't going to be a big part of the offense, but I still think it's nice to have a big guy who can block, catch and run a bit.  Overall, I think the Pats need a more physical offense.  We've gotten to be too much of a finesse team on offense with small receivers (Gronk excepted) and small backs.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

First we need a RB that can do more than what BJGE and Woody can do for the team. A big bruising guy that can get the yards when need and faster than BJGE to turn a 12 yard gain into 24....

Not sure that is a FB. Heath Evans is available and has shown interest to return to the Pats or the Saints - if neither than he may 'retire' into TV land.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

In Response to Re: FULLBACK:
    [QUOTE]First we need a RB that can do more than what BJGE and Woody can do for the team. A big bruising guy that can get the yards when need and faster than BJGE to turn a 12 yard gain into 24.... Not sure that is a FB. Heath Evans is available and has shown interest to return to the Pats or the Saints - if neither than he may 'retire' into TV land.
    Posted by Patriots1970[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.  Kudos to BJGE for stepping up, but he's a solid backup, not a feature back. After the Pats beat the Steelers, one of the Pitt sports writers said that Bellichick can turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad, referring to the Pats undrafted free agent starting backfield. Don't have anyone specific in mind, but IMO they could use an Antowain Smith (or Corey Dillon) type back, a genuine thumper. In the playoff loss, the Jets were giving them the run.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: FULLBACK:
    [QUOTE]the problem with the jets game is that the jets were able to stay close to the LOS. we didn't have a deep threat to spread out their defense.  While i beleive a FB would be a great help I just don't see it as a priority.  One good thing is we will be getting a FB back from Military committment whom we drafted a few years ago. Kettani?  At the beginning pf the season hernandez and crumpler were used as a FB which were quite effective but with the injury of hernandez and the need for crumpler as a lineman we couldn't play that game
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

The YETS stalled our offensive production with excellent coverage.  The PATS went away from the running game, not because it wasn't working but I think because they wanted to throw but the YETS had the answer for that, there was no one to throw to.  I think the idea of a speed burner to stretch the field is over rated, it wasn't working when they let Moss go.  The PATS got much better production after they let Moss go.  No, it was coverage plain and simple in the play-off game as I remember it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

We scrapped the Fullback from this offense a few years ago.  They didnt think it was necessary going forward seeing as though they are mainly a shotgun, spread offense.  The running game here has been an afterthought ever since 2007

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

heath evans is available.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I think it's a little silly to call BJGE chicken sh*t when he played at an SEC school and had a good career there.

Just because he went undrafted, it doesn't mean a lot. 

Terrell Davis was a 6th rd pick. Many very good RBs go undrafted.

Pierre Thomas is another.  Woodhead is obviously another. 

If you look at how BJGE runs, he runs how you'd want someone to run.  I don't think Mendenhall, for example, is better than BJGE.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

pats vs jets were all 1 back running. Except for one 3rd and one which the Pats did not get..they lined up in 2 back with 3rd blocker motioning into the backfield. The Pats tried to get cute, and go unbalanced with the OL. matt Light ended up at the LG spot and couldn't block down or combo on the DT (#70 Devito, NE native). He came into the backfield immediatley untouched and blew up the play.
    So..the one time they tried 2 back they failed.
    BJE and Woodhead run exclusively out of one back, they use diff TE packages on the edges, but were only 1 time in a 3 TE wing, and the play failed.
    But, overall their run game was effective, they were just playing from behind and that cutsey (again) fake punt at the end of the half to Chung was a killer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

I would Love that kid from pitt or sherman the local kid from Uconn i dont minf the kid from stanford i think hes a special teamer at best. I can see a Fullback pounding a block and woodhead hitting the hole with space being deadly.

Sections
Shortcuts