Gaffeny Is Back In Foxborough

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Gaffeny Is Back In Foxborough

I like the signing and look forward to one he11 of a camp and one most interesting 2012 season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Shouldn't we be stocking up on DE/OLB, S, and CBs instead?

We are too similar to the old Colts. We're gonna win a lot of regular season games, but still not built for another SB championship until they get the defense straightened out....

you can only carry so many WRs.....and the RB and TE position need to be shored up to have a complementary running game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Gaffeny Is Back In Foxborough:
    [QUOTE]Shouldn't we be stocking up on DE/OLB, S, and CBs instead? We are too similar to the old Colts. We're gonna win a lot of regular season games, but still not built for another SB championship until they get the defense straightened out.... you can only carry so many WRs.....and the RB and TE position need to be shored up to have a complementary running game.
    Posted by anonymis[/QUOTE]

We should be doing both . . . but we did pick up several of those defensive players in the draft.  We have 15 DBs on the roster and at least 11 or 12 guys competing for the DE/OLB slots.  I think the TE spot is probably more set with Gronk, Hernandez, and Fells.  RB still needs a veteran presence, but I suspect BB will get that as cuts are made.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gaffeny Is Back In Foxborough : I've never seen a Jets fan so completely obsessed with the New England Patriots 
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

When all you see is the back of their jerseys every single year for a decade I guess you get obsessed.

Interesting observation that with Keller, the great Santonio, and Plaxico "the rifleman" Burress, the "washed up" Jabar Gaffney had more yards than any of them.

I think Gaffney challenges Ocho and Branch for time and a spot on the roster. Underwood is gone (I think).

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]"Brady has no excuse to fail in the postseason now" Poor Russ , you just dont get it do you. You should be referring to the defensive help we have now and the fact we may be better than 31st next year... What difference does it make how many scrub WR's are invited to camp. You are only gonna keep 5 or 6 of them anyway and only a few are gonna be on the field at a time. How about hoping Jones and Bequette and Hightower and Fanene and Wilson can help us get a 3 and out once in a while to give Brady the ball back instead of him getting cold on the bench while the defense lets the opposition slowly march down the field and waste the clock????    Get a Clue Buddy
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

Oh, I get it.  Our D was "ranked" 31st yet totally outplayed our "2nd ranked" offense in the postseason.

So much for rankings, eh?

In the last 2 SBs, our all world offense has combined for 31 points. If they had just scored 25+ points in either game, we win at least 1 SB.

This is not a defensive era, but an offensive era, yet your arrogance (and others') wants to put more of the onus on the D?  lol

Yes, let's ask for more from a young, inexperienced D over a veteran, all world offense and pretend that makes sense.

NE's 3rd down D was fine before Carter went down.  That had no real bearing on having a 17-15 lead in the SB and our QB taking a Safety earlier, a moronic INT and our hold out WR dropping a game icing catch. NO BEARING.

The 3 majorly flawed plays on offense in that game led to the loss, not the D's inability to force a 3rd down. Now, if the D allowed TDs instead of FGs, you'd be correct. But, that wasn't the case. If the gameplan was to cover a myriad of explosive options and hold them down, to avoid giving up the big play, my oh my did it work to a T. Superb job even without forcing 1 3 and out.

Too bad Brady and Co couldn't have held up their end of the bargain.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10. Show mar10's posts

[QUOTE]Gotta keep this all in perspective.  There are lots of WRs on the roster but none of them is named Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson . . .  I think our receiving corp looks improved . . . but I wouldn't exaggerate its quality.  Guys like Branch, Stallworth, and Ocho are getting long in the tooth. Welker, Gonzalez, and Edelman are all slot players, and not all will make the team because of the overlap in role.  Lloyd has been inconsistent in the past.  Gaffney is a solid second or third receiver, but not a number one. Slater is a special teamer. Ebert is an untested rookie who looks like another add on to the Welker, Edelman, Gonzalez group. And Underwood and Davis just seem like practice squad filler.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Took the words right out of my mouth.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gaffeny Is Back In Foxborough : Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Posted by mar10[/QUOTE]

When you have Gronk, Hern, Welker, etc, you don't need a #1. THe Pats aren't built like the players on the teams Prolate just listed.

BB adding numbers and system players in volume is a different approach than Detroit paying Johnson 20 million per and never sniffing a SB in the future.  NE has like 4 system WRs being paid under 1 million each. That's insane value and that doesn't even count Lloyd's undermarket deal.  This is by far, his deepest and best group of system WR's he'd ever had.  In 2007, Stallworth, Welker and Moss were new.  Only Gaffney had some experience.

Give me BB's way, thanks.   The Bruins won a Cup last year within the same philosophy.  Celts are hoping to get healthy right now so their parts can be the sum. Brady never had a #1 winning 3 SBs, he just liked whoever was open which made it very difficult to defend Brady.

Christ, soemtimes I really wish 2007 never happened here. It's completely brainwashed some fans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I've never seen a team so completely obsessed with the WR position.  Instead of just paying Welker his worth, Bill signs 6-7 other guys who are washed up.  Go figure.
    Posted by JetMangione[/QUOTE]
    I actually think there is a 50/50 chance once Welker signs the tag, he will get traded, hopefully for a first round pick.  I think Welker knows this.  Even if he doesn't get traded, the chances of him being here for the 2013 season are slim to none.  BB just won't pay $10MM plus for a slot receiver in his 30s. 

I think he's loading the roster for the loss of Welker.  You have Edelman, Gonzales, the rookie Ebert all that play slot.  If BB knows he can't keep a marquis player, he will try to get some value for him, ala Seymour, Cassel.

But assuming Welker plays out 2012 here, I could see Ocho and Branch as potentially gone since they are the oldest.  I agree also that we could keep 7 WRs, counting Slater as one, if we go with 4 RBs or 2 QBs.  How much value does Hoyer bring to the team for one year?  He's just taking up a roster space, $2MM, and inhibiting the development of Mallett.  I think with a full camp, Mallett should be ready to become the #2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajaym. Show ajaym's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gaffeny Is Back In Foxborough : Gaffney had more receiving yards than anybody on the Jests last year.  I guess your whole team is washed up.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

++1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gaffeny Is Back In Foxborough : When you have Gronk, Hern, Welker, etc, you don't need a #1. THe Pats aren't built like the players on the teams Prolate just listed. BB adding numbers and system players in volume is a different approach than Detroit paying Johnson 20 million per and never sniffing a SB in the future.  NE has like 4 system WRs being paid under 1 million each. That's insane value and that doesn't even count Lloyd's undermarket deal.  This is by far, his deepest and best group of system WR's he'd ever had.  In 2007, Stallworth, Welker and Moss were new.  Only Gaffney had some experience. Give me BB's way, thanks.   The Bruins won a Cup last year within the same philosophy.  Celts are hoping to get healthy right now so their parts can be the sum. Brady never had a #1 winning 3 SBs, he just liked whoever was open which made it very difficult to defend Brady. Christ, soemtimes I really wish 2007 never happened here. It's completely brainwashed some fans.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Rusty, BB is smart to manage the cap carefully . . . but that doesn't mean quality receivers wouldn't help the team. I think the fact that BB is bringing in so many of receivers (and probably will bring in a few more) is a sign that he'd like to see the group upgraded too.  I think he's really looking to get one more perimeter/deep type guy to complement Lloyd as well as improve depth in the slot role. Stallworth, Gaffney, Ocho, Davis, and Underwood are all in that deep/perimeter mix now and I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two others before the preseason is over.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

[QUOTE]I've never seen a team so completely obsessed with the WR position.  Instead of just paying Welker his worth, Bill signs 6-7 other guys who are washed up.  Go figure.
    It isent Bill that does this, its KRAFT!!!!! HE DOESEN'T WANT 2 SPEND BIG BUCKS ON ANYBODY, BILL has no say in the matter, he just collects is 5,000,000 a yr. and yes, ok boss, I'll work with what I got.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

WOULD U OPEN YOUR MOUTH IF U WERE GETTING PAID 5,000,000 A YEAR, i WOULDEN'T...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

[QUOTE]Well last season they couldn't find a WR this season, what's your flavor.  This is going to be furious competition at camp.   They probably keep 6 with Slater as the 6th man for STs. Wow, anyone doubt Pats are getting ready for a heck of run?
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Yes sir they are getting ready to do damage

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I love the cattle call approach for camp competition at WR, just wondering about the halfback position, does BB make Ridley and Vareen the starters with Woody as the third down back?  I'll bet he's looking for a vet runner right now who will "retire" after camp, stay in shape and wait for Bill to call him?

I don't think Ocho or Gonzalez make this team, Ocho's expiration date is already past due and Gonzo can't stay healthy.  

Can any of these guys return kicks besides Edelman, I don't think so, so he makes the cut as does Slater; team captain, specials team tackle leader and both of them play in all three phases of the game. 

Lloyd, Stallworth and Gaffney can all play outside on an Island. Gaffney has a little more versatility than Stallworth in the shorter passing attack but Stallworth is the bigger vertical threat and adjusts well to the deep ball. 

Jabar has NEVER had a 1000 yard season and only a 12.7 career YPC average, he is a possession receiver by all accounts. Stallworth has come close to a 1000 yard season, averages 15 YPC for his career (and as a Patriot, 16 games) but hasn't been healthy the past few years.  

It's a toss up with these two, who stays healthy and if both do will we say goodbye to Welker who is currently overpaid as a slot receiver?  Every other receiver on our roster (including Gonzalez) is a slot receiver with a burst, if they all make it through camp healthy than Welker has to be let go if he won't sign a reasonable extension.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Wozz,

I'd rather have Ocho with another year in the system getting more then 20% of the snaps then Stalworth. I believe Ocho is twice the receiver Stalworth is even at 34. Ocho was given a spot on a MLS team last off season. This guy has plenty in the tank and could be a great flanker across from Loyd imo. Better then Branch(only due to wear and tear) or Stalworth.

I do admit it will be tough for Ocho to beat out Branch though given the need for chemistry in our complex passing schemes. We may retain 7 receivers with the increased roster limit? Plus they're all a little long in the tooth.

WW
    Lloyd
    Gaffney
    Ocho
    Branch......possible retirement/pup???
    Edelman
    Slater

That's a pretty darn good receiving core considering you have 2 of the best TE's in the league.

Hope Ridley and Vareen learn how to pick up a blitz, gonna be lots of shotguns.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gaffeny Is Back In Foxborough : What's Ocho making not to play?

Way less than sanchez lol.    how did vernon gholston work out for the jets? where did they draft him again? why is rex so fat? 

Sections
Shortcuts