Gaffney Welcome Home!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

Gaffney Welcome Home!!

Redskins released WR Jabar Gaffney.

The moves clears $2.65M in salary off the books. Gaffney caught a career-high 68 passes for 947 yards and five touchdowns last season, but offered little after the catch. He became expendable after the Skins committed nearly $30M guaranteed to Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan. Gaffney's bizarre April Twitter rant surely didn't help matters. The Patriots were considered likely to be interested in Gaffney if he hit the open market, but that was before they retained Deion Branch and Chad Ochocinco, and signed Anthony Gonzalez and Donte' Stallworth. With at least 50 catches in each of the past three seasons, the 31-year-old Gaffney should find a new home soon.

tIME TO BRING Gaffney Home

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Gaffney Welcome Home!!

This is another reason why Welker is not in a strong position to apply leverage for a big contract. There have been and are many options this year for WRs, unlike 2006.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

Poor Welker is just gonna have to suck it up and sign lmao..

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In Response to Re: Gaffney Welcome Home!!:
    [QUOTE]Poor Welker is just gonna have to suck it up and sign lmao..
    Posted by No-Mercy-Defence[/QUOTE]

Good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Heck why not bring Gaffney in. Make for even better camp competition

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]This is another reason why Welker is not in a strong position to apply leverage for a big contract. There have been and are many options this year for WRs, unlike 2006.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

We actually agree on something, Babe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]This is another reason why Welker is not in a strong position to apply leverage for a big contract. There have been and are many options this year for WRs, unlike 2006.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Come on!  Seriously?  Welker is better and more important to the Patriots offense then Branch, Ocho, Stallworth, Gonzalas, Lloyd, Edelman, Slater, Underwood, Ebert, Davis and Gaffney should they happen to sign him.  Heck, you couldn't even combine a couple of those guys to get the production Welker gives this team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gaffney Welcome Home!! : Come on!  Seriously?  Welker is better and more important to the Patriots offense then Branch, Ocho, Stallworth, Gonzalas, Lloyd, Edelman, Slater, Underwood, Ebert, Davis and Gaffney should they happen to sign him.  Heck, you couldn't even combine a couple of those guys to get the production Welker gives this team.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

+1000.  No way any of those even come close to making up what the Pats would lose if Welker is not on the field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Not to defend anyone, but I didn't read Babe's post as so much as a comparison but as the Pats being in a strong bargaining position because there are a number of WR's avail.  I absolutely agree that none of those mentioned are as valuable or as capable as Welker but I also believe that Welker doesn't have as much leverage as he might were the Pats in a desperate situation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gaffney Welcome Home!! : +1000.  No way any of those even come close to making up what the Pats would lose if Welker is not on the field.
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

I don't buy it. You guys are telling me that if we had Lloyd, Gaffney, Stallworth, Ocho, Ebert and Edelman, combined with our TE's, we couldn't make up for Wes's contribution? It's not like Welker is the only guy on our roster that can get open. Put on a tape of Ebert and you will see something familiar. 
    I personally would hope Wes signs his tender, because I just love watching him play. But to think he can't be replaced, I don't agree with that. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

yay gaffney is available! lets get him!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gaffney Welcome Home!! : I don't buy it. You guys are telling me that if we had Lloyd, Gaffney, Stallworth, Ocho, Ebert and Edelman, combined with our TE's, we couldn't make up for Wes's contribution? It's not like Welker is the only guy on our roster that can get open. Put on a tape of Ebert and you will see something familiar.  I personally would hope Wes signs his tender, because I just love watching him play. But to think he can't be replaced, I don't agree with that. 
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Gaffney - was good with the Pats, not great but good. Now he's a little older so he's still less of a known. The good news is that he had more production in his 3 years away from NE then with NE but he isn't signed on the team currently and that was on teams with lesser talent at the receiving positions (that includes TE's)

Edelman - has had 11 catches in the last 2 seasons. In his career he's had less catches then Welker had in the first 4 games in 11' so if Edelman can be an every game starter is an unknown

Ebert - is a rookie

Ocho - gave you pratically nothing last year

Stallworth - had less catches in the last 3 seasons then he did with 1 season in NE. On top of that Stallworth faded at the end of 07'. What he can give you might be limited

Now with the exception of Lloyd all of these guys might be good 3/4/5th WR's but even combined using last years numbers they don't equal Welker. Gaffney would be you best shot to recoup part of the lose of Welker but you aren't replacing Welker with a team of WR's here. Edelman and Ocho were on the team last year, Lloyd replaces Branch so you are really talking the addition of a rookie, Stallworth, and Gaffney to replace Welkers production? I'd be skeptical about that

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gaffney Welcome Home!! : Gaffney - was good with the Pats, not great but good. Now he's a little older so he's still less of a known. The good news is that he had more production in his 3 years away from NE then with NE but he isn't signed on the team currently and that was on teams with lesser talent at the receiving positions (that includes TE's) Edelman - has had 11 catches in the last 2 seasons. In his career he's had less catches then Welker had in the first 4 games in 11' so if Edelman can be an every game starter is an unknown Ebert - is a rookie Ocho - gave you pratically nothing last year Stallworth - had less catches in the last 3 seasons then he did with 1 season in NE. On top of that Stallworth faded at the end of 07'. What he can give you might be limited Now with the exception of Lloyd all of these guys might be good 3/4/5th WR's but even combined using last years numbers they don't equal Welker. Gaffney would be you best shot to recoup part of the lose of Welker but you aren't replacing Welker with a team of WR's here. Edelman and Ocho were on the team last year, Lloyd replaces Branch so you are really talking the addition of a rookie, Stallworth, and Gaffney to replace Welkers production? I'd be skeptical about that
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I agree Gaffney was great here, but that is because the offense flowed through 3 other guys first. As a 3rd/4th WR, like in 2007, he still managed 35 catches for like 450 yards. When he left and went to play for Denver and Washington his catch total went way up. So, that tells me it's not ability, but rather how he is used, which is my point exactly.
    You don't replace Welker's production with 1 guy, you replace it with 2 or 3 guys, maybe even using Ridley/Vereen/Woody out of the backfield more, and of course the TEs. 
    Our best option this season is for Welker to sign his tender. No question. But I think the Pats are not so silently preparing for the day Welker is not longer here, and I think they have done some very good things to offset this risk. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Of course, Gaffney provides a safety valve outside. He's never  been anything but a possession guy, but he always ran the right routes. 

Also, I would epect a deeper WR crew. 

Remember McDaniels is back ... and with him is coming --- to the teeth gnashing chagrin of some here for sure --- the dreaded "spread" of four to five wideouts. He's run that formation everywhere he has been. 

I'm sure it won't be their bread and butter ... after all, anything that sits down Hernandez and/or Gronkowski is making poor use of the available talent NE has. But I'm sure we will see some. 

But NE does need to add some players to make it viable ... that is to say .. Welker, Edelman, Lloyd, and Branch would be terrible thin and weak at spots. Bringing in competition also means depth.

McD loves him some wideouts ....

I would love to see Gaffney in camp .... really. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]Im gonna have to agree w/Lifer on this one I love Wes and what he has done for the franchise, but gosh, you guys act like he the MVP of this team!  Who did Brady every throw to before Wes arrived. Or Drew Bledsoe for that matter. There will be life after Wes and there was life before Wes. I dont get why people think we cant move forward. The fact that we force the ball to him over 100 times a year shouldnt mean its necessary. Does it make Brady more comfortable?? maybe, but show me the hardware we have won since he came here???  Ok, so now is when you jump in and say but the defense Brady had back then...blah, blah, blah, and to this I say, how will our defense ever improve if we have all our money locked into the passing game?? When did Troy Brown make 9.5 million???? Seems to me he was capable of the same things as Wes and went about his job humbily, and never tried to be paid like a # 1 to hamstring the team! Wake up Guys!  We have the 2 best TE's in the league. A guy in Lloyd that all you guys gushed over. Have about 4 or 5 other capable guys who deserve reps but you want to continue to make a 5'8" guy the centerpiece of the offense, providing more than 30% of the offense and expect different results in the postseason?!?!  and you want Ocho to Do something??  This makes no sense. Noone will get a chance as long as Wes is catching 120 balls every year, but if he cant make the ONE catch to win us a SB, what good is he?? Let the guy leave and make his money for christ sakes. We've seen the guy for what, 5 years now!  He is the reason we dont run the ball more and cant war down defenses and why everyone comes after Brady in the postseason... Wake up Guys!  Stop making Wes out to be Jerry Rice. He is a slot WR, they come in every year. We need to Run more and build this Defense and that 9 milly can come in handy when doing that.
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

You could make a very good argument that he has been the MVP...

Force the ball to him???  90 Percent of the time the dude is wide open.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gaffney Welcome Home!! :  Force the ball to him???  90 Percent of the time the dude is wide open.
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

I never understood these arguments about Brady forcing the ball to WW or Gronk or Hern.  Those 3 guys all had some of the highest catch %'s in the league.  Kind of blows that theory out of the water.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Love this guy, the Pats have never found a third WR since he departed. 

Welker has no leverage, if I were Belichick, every time he comes to negotiate a deal I'd have his drop in the SB playing in a loop behind me. 

And every time he says something I don't agree with, I'd say "That's for number 1 WRs, number 1 WRs make spectacular catches to seal the game in SBs. You've never done that, have ya?"

Let him go, Brady looks to him too much. Didn't someone say something about trading him for Johnathan Stewart? 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]Love this guy, the Pats have never found a third WR since he departed.  Welker has no leverage, if I were Belichick, every time he comes to negotiate a deal I'd have his drop in the SB playing in a loop behind me.  And every time he says something I don't agree with, I'd say "That's for number 1 WRs, number 1 WRs make spectacular catches to seal the game in SBs. You've never done that, have ya?" Let him go, Brady looks to him too much. Didn't someone say something about trading him for Johnathan Stewart? 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

He has no leverage because he is franchised not because of the talent/lack of talent at WR.  He may sit out work-outs and camp but he is not going to sit out actual games and pass up 9 million dollars.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Welker is being SEVERELY underrated by most Pats fans on these message boards. He absolutely DOES deserve a long term fat contract as he has been grossly underpaid  for years. Are you kidding me!!? Do you think someone can easily step in for Wes and produce 120+ catches year in and year out! Pay the man 3 years and 35 million and be done with it. That would be a hometown discount. Please review the Megatron contract if you need a refresher! We need this guy back! Make it happen Bill!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

The reason WW catches 120 balls is because we haven't had decent outside receivers in the last three years. He is not the primary receiver on a lot of those plays, but he is open when the other WRs are not.
    I like Branch, and at least he runs the right routes, but he is not the player he was and he doesn't get the separation that he used to, and our third receiver has been a loss for a long time.
    Hopefully Lloyd is the answer, and if he is, then Branch as the third receiver may preform better than he did as the #1 wideout. And we have a lot of other choices to look at in camp.
    I want Wes back next year, and I would love to have him here for the next two years at 16M, but ... 9.5M is a lot to pay for a slow, short WR and if he signs his tag, this is his last year in NE. As a team the Pats need to start building for life after Wes, and that appears to be what is happening this off season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]The reason WW catches 120 balls is because we haven't had decent outside receivers in the last three years. He is not the primary receiver on a lot of those plays, but he is open when the other WRs are not. I like Branch, and at least he runs the right routes, but he is not the player he was and he doesn't get the separation that he used to, and our third receiver has been a loss for a long time. Hopefully Lloyd is the answer, and if he is, then Branch as the third receiver may preform better than he did as the #1 wideout. And we have a lot of other choices to look at in camp. I want Wes back next year, and I would love to have him here for the next two years at 16M, but ... 9.5M is a lot to pay for a slow, short WR and if he signs his tag, this is his last year in NE. As a team the Pats need to start building for life after Wes, and that appears to be what is happening this off season.
    Posted by mia76[/QUOTE]

Actually they have not started to build for life after Wes at all.  Resigning Branch and Ocho is a very short-term solution.  Same with Stallworth.  Those guys wont be back after next year either.  Lloyd is more a replacement for Branch then Welker.  Gonzalez is a slot guy but let's see if he can even get on the field first.