Gaffney Welcome Home!!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Gaffney Welcome Home!!

I hope they bring him in. He'd be an excellent guy to have in the mix competing for one of the five or six receiver slots. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In Response to Re: Gaffney Welcome Home!!:
    Where was Bennys raise when he was the first back since Dillon to crack a 1,000 yards and he was an undrafted Free agent like Wes? Well they gave him a raise right outta town. Do smarter business! Why do people think he got shafted with his first contract??  It was based on his production at the time the contract was signed. He basically didnt do much outside of killing us cuz our secondary was weak. He signed a 5 year deal and played well. What did he expect??? For us to waste 2 picks and sign him longterm to catch 30-40 balls a year??? Its in the past. Vince Wilfork didnt like the pay he was getting, but he kept his mouth shut and was rewarded. You guys act like Wes played for peanuts. He had a very good deal at the time for what he had done. If he didnt like it, why did he catch all those balls?? Why not just pull a Teryy Glenn?? Because he is a football player. He gets millions to play a game and you guys want a intervention for B.B. for not signing him yet!?!?  Its a TEAM! If Gaffney couldnt even get a deal, or Branch, or Moss, why is Wes so special?? Because he catches 100 balls  a year?  How many other players have that chance?? Why didnt Ocho sniff those numbers??? Ohhhh, Ok - he wasnt given the oppty. If you sign a contract , you honor it. You cant pay a guy for now for what he did in the past. Thats Bogus! If that were True, we would have resigned Randy a couple years ago another deal. Wes is over 30 and will only get a longterm deal from a team desperate for help and B.B. has done all he can to make sure we are in desperation mode. I for one, want to see Brady operate w/out him so we can spread the ball again. All of a sudden.....LLoyd, Stallworth, Branch, Gronk and Hernandez aint good enough Huh?? How sooon we forget.....the days when we won SB's with Troy Brown and David Patten as the starting Wideouts....smh. Now Brady needs 4 to 5 guys who are ALL at the tops in their positions to succeed....??  And you wonder why our defense s ucks!!!   see ya Wes!
    Posted by patsfan76

Welker didn't sign a contract, he was franchised. 

Ocho didnt catch 100 balls because he is still trying to figure out how to tie his shoes (and to run actual routes)

How many other players have a chance to catch 100 balls?  Every single player on this team.  Brady throws to the open guy.  So it's Wes's fault he gets open alot?  That's an odd complaint.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

If they do sign him that's a lot of competition at camp for a few positions, it's going to be interesting. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Brady throws to the open target and Wes gets OPEN ALOT. In fact he's open on almost EVERY SINGLE play unless he is double teamed. Again, put down the crack pipe and realize this is a VERY SPECIAL player we're talkin' about here. It's not as simple as plug in Edelman or whoever and things will be peachy!! This is "the" ELITE SLOT receiver in the league and he will EXPLODE for another team if we let him get away. Imagine for a second Welker in Denver or in San Deigo, or Baltimore! Are you guys kidding! This is a must deal and it should have already been sewed up by now!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

May i politely submit that you are all nuts re WW....

Maybe just silly...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

No Thanks

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Like I said, how we ever survived before Wes got here is beyond me. and to think we won 3 SB's before Wes got here. Let you guys tell it, he was responsible for those Rings too....lol Very Special Indeed!  He somehow can catch every meaningless pass you throw to him until the stakes gets high and the game is on the line. I am not suggesting to plug in someone and get the same production, I am suggesting to scrap the idea of having your slot WR dominate the offensive playcalling to the point we dont run the ball anymore. Most RB gets you 5 yards every other carry if you feed him and then you also have the added factor of teams biting up and being able to utilize your playaction game when this happens. Have you ever seen linebackers creep up to the line for the passing game?? Well maybe a little because wes only runs shorter routes mostly but tell me how many times you saw T.B. utilize the playaction pass successfully last year....I'll wait why you go over the game film, but to give you a hint....It was NON_Existent! We we where winning SB's (cue the NFL films music)  we did it with a commitment to the ground game, followed by a pin point precision play action game, helped by a middle of the pack defense that prided itself on killing the QB and getting turnovers...  Well I guess we still get turnovers, but not when it counts...
    Posted by patsfan76

Wes only accounted for 17% of the passes in the SB and only dropped 1 of 8 dropped passes. His completion percentage was 87% while Branch, Herns, Gronks were in the 50-56% range.  Judging from that, I'd say TB does in fact throw to other recievers who just weren't as reliable.  How anyone can blame WW for dropping 1 pass when there were 3 dropped in the last 57 sec. drive is BEYOND ME.  Any of the other dropped passes would have extended drives too.
    When the Pats won the SB, they had mostly very nice D's.  That is something that the teams for the past 5 years did not have the luxury of.  Wes does not play D but unfortunately 2 of his other receivers did this year due to necessity.
    But, ya, let's throw WW away like yesterdays newspaper because his one incompletion of the game, lost it.

Doubt very seriously the Pats got to the SB last year with out him.  You actually do have to win a fair amount of regular season games to get there (unless you are a NY team....somehow they are the only ones that don't)  Hmmm

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Gaffney Welcome Home!! : I don't buy it. You guys are telling me that if we had Lloyd, Gaffney, Stallworth, Ocho, Ebert and Edelman, combined with our TE's, we couldn't make up for Wes's contribution? It's not like Welker is the only guy on our roster that can get open. Put on a tape of Ebert and you will see something familiar.  I personally would hope Wes signs his tender, because I just love watching him play. But to think he can't be replaced, I don't agree with that. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

10 mil could go a long way.... as opposed to on one player whose production can be replaced. if we can get a 1 or even a high 2 thast would be tempting once he signs tender

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Gaffney Welcome Home!! : Come on!  Seriously?  Welker is better and more important to the Patriots offense then Branch, Ocho, Stallworth, Gonzalas, Lloyd, Edelman, Slater, Underwood, Ebert, Davis and Gaffney should they happen to sign him.  Heck, you couldn't even combine a couple of those guys to get the production Welker gives this team.
    Posted by TFB12
    You forgot Matt Roark the 6'5 WR UDFA man how can you diss wsuch a star...LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I wouldn't give Welker anything more than 2 year 10 mill or 3 year 15. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Have a soft spot for Gaf
    He made some big catches
    He knows the offense
    TB had confidence in throwing to him

I don't understand what the Redskins did here
      unless he was too much $ for the position
    but they are not loaded at WR and they have
    a new QB, what gives ????

We will see what BB does

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Pezz, u make good points and I know Wes doesnt play "D" The reason I didnt blame Branch or others because they arent over here turning down 9 milly and asking for a long term deal at age 31. Branch was MVP of the SB, where was his raise or his contract?? I am speaking of Wes because he is one w/out a contract. All I am saying is life will go on w/out him and there are numerous other ways to move the ball Answer me this. How many other slot players have cashed in like Wes is trying to... What was Stokelys deal a few years back? There are plenty of slots wr's who can do the same thing Wes has. Cant they catch 120 balls, maybe not, but we dont NEED anyone doing that and it hasnt helped much. We need a Run Game, not a bunch of short passes to a WR..This is My opinion and I have 3 SB teams as proof it works, ......w/out Wes..
    Posted by patsfan76

Well, Branch did get a decent raise, just not with the Pats and there were other reasons for him leaving.
    The problem with Welker just being a slot receiver is that he put up better numbers than all the high priced Wr's that make the big bucks.
    I really don't see why that matters.  Does he not make plays that extend drives or score TD's? It appears he does that better than most.
    Laurant Robinson who had 1 good season got 8.5 million a yr.
    Why is the epitome of consistency not worth at least that? 
     The only problem I see is his age, which would not warrant a LT contract.
    But the man deserves to be paid.  Slot or not.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Where's the depth at RB. I really hope Kettani is more than Heath Evans revisited. With that much firepower at WR never mind the 3-4 0 or 4-3 we could see the ever popular 3-3-5. Would like to see Welker in the fold.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Well, he's signing with the Pats.  Should make for a very interesting battle at WR.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Poor Welker is just gonna have to suck it up and sign lmao..
    Posted by No-Mercy-Defence

Yup. BB putting the screws to Wes.  No doubt.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

We should just cut all the runningbacks and go Qb, 5 linemen, 5 receivers every play of every game. Go all in on the spread!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Gaffney Welcome Home!! : Yup. BB putting the screws to Wes.  No doubt.
    Posted by BassFishing

Typical Rusty post, fantasizing he's on some kind of power trip with BB. BB's just trying to improve the team and make sure he has options.  There's nothing personal here . . . and BB isn't trying to put the screws on anyone.  He's just trying to make the team better.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

We should just cut all the runningbacks and go Qb, 5 linemen, 5 receivers every play of every game. Go all in on the spread!
    Posted by TrueChamp

Champ, you and Wozzy must be goin' outta your minds!  First BB lets BJGE walk, then he fails to replace him in either free agency or the draft, then he starts signing receivers like there's no tomorrow.  

Don't worry too much though--I'm sure he'll bring in a reliable if aging veteran at some point before the season begins.  Plus, I really do think that Ridley and Vereen are likely to be a much bigger part of the offense this year and we may see more of a running game after all.  Still, like I said all season, we needed more receivers who could challenge the perimeters (sidelines and deeper parts of the field) and BB clearly agrees since that's what he's targeting with guys like Lloyd, Stallworth, and Gaffney.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

Hard to deny WW has been great for us, and I definitely want him to stay with the Pats.  The business side may win out, though.

The Patriots were winning SB's when Brady's favorite receiver was the open one.  He'd hit 7+ different guys a game.  Now it does look like he targets certain receivers.

It is time for Branch to move on.  He was at his best with YAC.  This past season he'd go to the ground after making catches.  Almost always.  I didn't mind it so much when we were needing to stay healthy for the playoffs, but he was doing it in the Superbowl, too.  If he can no longer take a hit he needs to go somewhere else.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Typical Rusty? Umm, someone else said it first and I happen to agree with it.

Try improving your reading comprehension skills. IMO, without question, BB signing a load of system guys and a possible poor man's Welke (Gonazlez) while drafting Ebert are all leveraging tactics. Absolutely.

Brady cannot even begin to have problems hitting people on their routes now. This is a flat out embarrassment of riches that will make the 2007 WR and TE core pale in comparison.

I don't get into predictions, nor do I care, but I can see this club challenging 19-0.

This is insane.  The competition on D will be up and even faster/tougher than in years past. Throw in a sick WR/TE group and maybe a Ryan Grant RB signing and watch out.

Just make sure they run the ball 20 times per game in the postseason.  hahah

Sections
Shortcuts