Gaffney's release and many other moves by the Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Gaffney released (claim WR Kerry Taylor from Vikings) and other moves

The quad injury (which has kept him out of practice) was making me wonder. I thought he was a lock until that injury.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I can't say I'm really surprised Gaffney, Stallworth or Gonzalez for that matter, didn't make it. I am surprised Branch is going to make it..that one's a shocker on me. Last year it looked like the guy couldn't separate towards the end of the season, now he's a year older - I can't imagine it being much different this time around.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Doctor Loveless. Show Doctor Loveless's posts

To be honest Gaff needed to go along with Stallworth.
    Younger players that can develope and bounce back from injuries that kill the older guys are needed.
    I would like to see more screen passes with Mr. Demps the way the older Giants with Simms and Morris played and burnt the blitz packages.
    I like Mr. Mallett backing Brady, if Tom goes down I think we have another star in the making..
    You have to like what BB has done, just when it looked dark, there is new light... Oh, and GO GO GO WARHAMMER......Mr. Ebner!Wink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

WR (6) - Welker, Lloyd, hernandez, Branch, Edelman, Slater
    TE (3) - Gronk, Fells, Shia
    RB (4) - ridley, vareen, woodhead, demps

it now makes sense that they resigned hernandez, because that allows them to use him as a WR without having to pay him the big WR money when they go to resign him (which is now a few more years away) plus with vareen and demps ability to play WR/RB with the screens it could be interesting

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Of the guys who were cut who winds up on BB's rollodex? Warren for sure provided noone signs him,maybe Gaffney or Stallworth but this is a WR driven league..You may not believe it but Holley is still on the team and he does work hard and he does have the measurables 6'2 and he runs fairly well. You just never know where BB will take us roster wise. Ebert and Ebner well at least for now there are surprises. There are still 22 cuts left to make......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Gaffney is a surprise  cut but with his injury, combined with deions steady and dependable  play (and down field blocking)  bb must still feel that deion is the best fit as a 3rd reciever (behind lloyd and welker)
    He and toms chemistry is very hard to break up. Deions not gonna get  near as much playing time  and balls as a 3rd wr, but remember last year  he was playing on the outside and against teams starting cbs and stil produced 51 /702/5  Now he'll be up again sub package dbs instead where he should have an even bigger advantage.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Gaffney released (claim WR Kerry Taylor from Vikings) and other moves:
    I can't say I'm really surprised Gaffney, Stallworth or Gonzalez for that matter, didn't make it. I am surprised Branch is going to make it..that one's a shocker on me. Last year it looked like the guy couldn't separate towards the end of the season, now he's a year older - I can't imagine it being much different this time around.
    Posted by mthurl

i said in offseason. better to replace him. after that didnt happen my prefence was to sit him first 6 games on pup. his legs wont last a year plus playoffs. 

unless we upgrade, and i dont see it yet, gaffney on speed dial for later in the year when hes healthy

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

gaffney and stallworth.  Hmmm. I haven't seen enough of either practice or play, but ....so, it's hard to figure if it's good or bad.  IMO,  I think I would have preferred seeing gaffney or stallworth a go vs. branch. Both are a couple of years younger....and I thought Branch was pretty much invisible last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

if it's a loyalty thing...ummm, Branch left us once before...so, it should be a business decision...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Branch was more dependable than the other two.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Re: Gaffney's release and many other moves by the Patriots

Maybe they bring back gaffney after week 1, the contract won't be guareenteed then? Just a thought.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I'll go with whatever BB thinks on this one, he's always right when he decides to let players go. IMO Gaffeny must have been having problems with the injury.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Branch is a more dependable back up, and with Lloyd on the team, he won't be used as the primary perimeter receiver as he was last year. I'm surprised Gaffney didn't make it but I suspect the injury made BB start thinking about alternatives and he decided to go in a slightly different direction. It will be interesting to see if he tries to pick up another outside guy or use that roster slot for someone else at a different position or for a different type of receiver. Honestly, though I thought Gaffney had played himself into a spot before the injury unless BB never had any intent of keeping more than one true perimeter threat in the Lloyd, Gaffney, Stallworth mold.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

There is no way on earth Terry or Taylor are on this team. Gaffney cut is surprising because they are not deep on the outside, but perhaps the thinking is only so many guys can play and they either keep 4 tight ends and/or 5 or (less likely) even 6 backs. Hernandez may line up on the outside a little more and perhaps they split out edelman, demps, woodhead at various times. Still lots of options, though this cut (as opposed to the stallworth chopping) is a bit of a shock. Likely a few more to come as they get down to 53.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Re: Gaffney released (claim WR Kerry Taylor from Vikings) and other moves":
    WR (6) - Welker, Lloyd, hernandez, Branch, Edelman, Slater TE (3) - Gronk, Fells, Shia RB (4) - ridley, vareen, woodhead, demps it now makes sense that they resigned hernandez, because that allows them to use him as a WR without having to pay him the big WR money when they go to resign him (which is now a few more years away) plus with vareen and demps ability to play WR/RB with the screens it could be interesting Posted by natesubs
    I thought Gaff would make the team, but with the personnel we have, this makes sense(what u said I mean) Hern goes to FB/WR, and we get to keep 3 TE's besides him. We haven't seen much of Shank and Fells but if only 1 of them makes it, we might go with Silvestro or Urban(who imo haven't blocked very well in preseason).

Edit: I think we might go Gronk, Fells, and keep Larsen over a 3rd TE as Hern can play all over. Then we our rec core is WW, Lloyd, Branch, Edelman, Slater, and possibly Ebert as a developmental guy....then again Gaff's release also allows us to go Ridley, Vareen, Woody, Bolden, Demps AND Larsen...skipping Ebert which I would prefer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In Response to Re: Gaffney released (claim WR Kerry Taylor from Vikings) and other moves:
    I can't see Taylor making the team. He's essentially Underwood/Davis/Ebert/input JAG here.  Here's an idea think they are moving Hern to a full time WR and have both Fells and Schia as TE's? That would make sense given these moves
    Posted by PatsEng

BB is always a step ahead in his thinking. He sees well beyond the obvious. Likewise, you have crystalized it. Hern as WR. Fells and Schiancoe as TE's. My question is there another deep threat? I saw Holley when tried out for the Cowboys on Michael Irvin's show several years back and was impressed with his ability to go get the ball. I am not sure about his skills as a deep threat?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to "Re: Gaffney released (claim WR Kerry Taylor from Vikings) and other moves":
    In response to "Re: Gaffney released (claim WR Kerry Taylor from Vikings) and other moves": I thought Gaff would make the team, but with the personnel we have, this makes sense(what u said I mean) Hern goes to FB/WR, and we get to keep 3 TE's besides him. We haven't seen much of Shank and Fells but if only 1 of them makes it, we might go with Silvestro or Urban(who imo haven't blocked very well in preseason). Edit: I think we might go Gronk, Fells, and keep Larsen over a 3rd TE as Hern can play all over. Then we our rec core is WW, Lloyd, Branch, Edelman, Slater, and possibly Ebert as a developmental guy....then again Gaff's release also allows us to go Ridley, Vareen, Woody, Bolden, Demps AND Larsen...skipping Ebert which I would prefer. Posted by TrueChamp
    Didn't they place Larsen on IR? Edit: Larsen is definitely on IR, which leaves just Kettani as a true FB. Maybe they keep Kettani or find another FB but there's an increasing possibility that no true FB makes the squad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Re: Gaffney released (claim WR Kerry Taylor from Vikings) and other moves": Didn't they place Larsen on IR? Edit: Larsen is definitely on IR, which leaves just Kettani as a true FB. Maybe they keep Kettani or find another FB but there's an increasing possibility that no true FB makes the squad.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Yeah, I just checked the cut/IR list for the 1st time today. If they don't keep Kettani they might go with Hern at receiving FB, and do what they did for some time as a blocking FB and use a DE/DT. I just think it limits us to not have a true  FB who can block OR receive out of the backfield....maybe Bolden can play some true FB? In any case I wouldn't mind seeing Hern as Fb with Gronk, and Fells at TE, WW and Lloyd as receivers. Run, PA, whatever!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Yes, Belichick does think ahead. If Wes Welker decides to leave next year and Branch has diminished skills then next year leaves the Pats with just Lloyd, Edelman and Slater - appears now Edelman will make the cut. Hern .... is a versatile weapon. Never know with BB but that kid Holley caught a nice bullit from Mallet a foot off the ground in the EZ ..so who knows. BB and Josh know what they have already. Surprise cuts go along with surprise 'makes'!

Belichick rarely drafts a WR early so I believe he will look for the best available young WR, now at cutdown and groom him in the system on PS for a year.

Good health to all .....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Gaffney's release and many other moves by the Patriots:
    Yes, Belichick does think ahead. If Wes Welker decides to leave next year and Branch has diminished skills then next year leaves the Pats with just Lloyd, Edelman and Slater - appears now Edelman will make the cut. Hern .... is a versatile weapon. Never know with BB but that kid Holley caught a nice bullit from Mallet a foot off the ground in the EZ ..so who knows. BB and Josh know what they have already. Surprise cuts go along with surprise 'makes'! Belichick rarely drafts a WR early so I believe he will look for the best available young WR, now at cutdown and groom him in the system on PS for a year. Good health to all .....
    Posted by palookaski
    " Belichick rarely drafts a WR early so I believe he will look for the best available young WR, now at cutdown and groom him in the system on PS for a year. "
    that would be nice if its someone with promise.

agree on edeleman casue they lie him. id prefer an upgrade. dont think hes good enough to replace ww

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

BB making room for Ocho to come back!!!!!

Hahahaha, seriously, Gaffney's release surprised me.  I was looking for him to come in and help, especially since TFB is comfortable with him.  They need to bring in someone else, I don't like the receiving core as it stands now.  As much as I hate to say it, let bring in Plax for his freakish talent.  Who knows, mayne Moss will get released by the 49'ers, haven't seen him get much action over there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Same here TFb12...Lloyd an upgrade over Ocho...is that enough if you also add fells, shiancoe and demps ? It takes other teams some time to catch up, but now they have all seen our 2 te's...not saying they can stop them, but curious as to what wrinkles josh will implement to keep teams guessing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I think a number of Branch's problems at the end of last year was his amount of playing time; his role was significantly expanded when the condom buyer did not pan out which required him to be on the field much more than his role had anticipated.  Hopefully with Lloyd this year is different for Branch

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Gaffney's release and many other moves by the Patriots:
    BB making room for Ocho to come back!!!!! Hahahaha, seriously, Gaffney's release surprised me.  I was looking for him to come in and help, especially since TFB is comfortable with him.  They need to bring in someone else, I don't like the receiving core as it stands now.  As much as I hate to say it, let bring in Plax for his freakish talent.  Who knows, mayne Moss will get released by the 49'ers, haven't seen him get much action over there.
    Posted by TFB12

i was pondering same yesterday (plax)

could you cover teh current pats te's and plax insiude the 20?

Sections
Shortcuts