Game 1 Starters...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Game 1 Starters...

I cannot take the Hernandez, Dennard, media, and Zimmerman threads any more. Does any one have any interest in discussing football (and not what happened in Super Bowls 42  & 46)? So this is my guess the guess on the field for the first snap of offense and defense when the Patriots open the season Sept. 8 in Buffalo (I am assuming that Gronk and Dennard are for whatever reasons not able to play in that game):

Offense:

QB - Brady, RB - Ridley, WR - Amendola, WR - Edelman, WR - Boyce, TE - Hoomanawanui

RT - Vollmer, RG - Connolly, C - Wendell, LG - Mankins, LT - Solder

On offense, I think they will too thin at TE to run a bunch of double TE sets out of the gate. We know Amendola will be playing Welker's position, but how the rest of WR core sorts out is extremely up in the air (not counting Slater who will make the roster just for special teams - there are 10 WRs on the 90-man roster).

Defense:

DE - Ninkovich, DT - Armstead, DT - Wilfork, DE - Jones

LB - Mayo, LB - Spikes, LB - Hightower

CB - Talib, SS - A. Wilson, FS - McCourty, CB - Arrington

I am still not sold on Dowling (he couldn't beat out Arrrington to start game 1 last year). I think on defense the only other question is who is next to Wilfork at DT.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Game 1 Starters...

For starters I would say Ridley AND Vereen are starters. Ridley may be on the field on the first play and on many first downs but they share a role as the RB. 

Second - is Ballard going to be ready for game 1? I cerrtainly do not think Houman is a legitimate starter.

Third - is Dennard not going to be available (sorry to bring that up!)?

Fourth - I would expect Dobson over Boyce

Fifth - I would expect Kelly over Armstead but who knows!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I think Vereen will see action, but he will mostly be the third down back. I have a hard time think Ridley usage is going to drop (over 18 carries per game last season). I think Vereen will go up from his less that 5 carries per game, but mostly taken plays that would have gone to Woodhead last year.

Ballard was not 100% at OTAs. I have seen different reports about where he is in his return. If he is not ready either, I would see Hooman or Fells starting. I am not expecting one of the rookies in there.

No idea on Dennard. If he is here, he is the #2 CB, but right now that is an "if". We won't really know until the 31st when he goes back to court.

It could be either rookie WR at that position. I know that Dobson is bigger, but I think the smaller WR have actually done well with the Patriots in the past.

I am not a Kelly fan. I think he is on the down side of his career. Only Adrian Wilson is older on the Patriots defense, but like I said, I think the second DT position in up in the air. Also, I am sure there will be 4 or 5 guys rotating through those positions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

First and foremost:  thanks for the no-$h1t football thread. 

Boyce over Dobson, hmmm?  Interesting.  I see your reasoning; still not sure though.  Can't argue the starting corners.  Agree the starting DT other than big Vince is up for grabs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not a bad shot at it. I think there are some starters set in stone going into camp and only a major blow up will knock them out. Port touched on all the one's I think are up for grabs.

LCB - Ras, Dennard, Arrington I think they all have a shot at it. Dennard and Ras being the most likely with Arrington as the last choice default. But, then again don't rule out Ryan either. BB has tossed rooks into the starting role over Arrington before

SS - though I do think A. Wilson is the starter it really depends on how they want to use him and the progression of T. Wilson. If they want to manage his reps I wouldn't be surprised to see a platoon between the two with T. Wilson getting the nod in name only just to boast his confidence a little.

DT - Kelly as the vet instantly gets the nod right now in my head. At least until you see what Armstead can give. To me Armstead is a rook and unless he's a 1st round pick or there is no one else at the position (ie WR) generally rooks have a hard time breaking the starting line up. Doesn't mean Armstead won't be the starter or might not take it over at some point during the year but he really has to show a lot during camp to earn that much trust immediately

WR - This is one of those areas that there is a huge gapping hole at #2 WR. Dobson, Boyce, Jones, Jenkins, Edelman you can really pencil in anyone of those names into the #2 position which should scare us all. The WR group is going to be fun to watch at camp though.

TE - All depends on Ballard but I agree after watching Fells vs Hoom that Hoom is the better of the two right now. However, watch out for Sudfeld. The dark horse of the position as I think the position is again more open going into camp than most positions

RG - Don't rule out Cannon taking over that spot. Connolly has been solid but Cannon might give him a run for his money this camp. There is a good shot Vollmer, Solder, Cannon, Wendell might be a line up we see for a while

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I am expecting solid improvement from T Wilson and Hightower on D. 

I agree that Cannon may really compete for the starting job at G. Not sure if Connolly moves back to C or Wendell holds it (if Cannon earns the G spot - but that means Cannon can essentially make it a 3 way competition).

I expect no drop in Ridley 's carries but I also expect Vereen will be a bit more than a third down back. Ridley could lock up feature back but I think Vereen will be too good to make it a one man postion. So while I think Ridley gets most carries I think Vereen will get on the field a good amount and have a solid number of touches running + receiving (the number of catches could be lowered if Ballard, Jenkins, Edleman or either of the two rookie WRs really shines).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

More than in recent years, I think the early games in the schedule will be a feeling out process to see who can be relied on, especially on offense. A lot depends on Gronk and whether he is ready for week 1 or not until week 6-8. If he is, I don't see a lot of drop off from last year. Either he or that other TE they used to have were our for most of the games last year (the other guy was hurt in week 2, Gronk in week 10), Pats still had the highest scoring offense in the league by far. If Gronk is not ready week 1 or 2, games 1-8 might not be pretty. They will be trying things to see what works and who fits where. Since the o-line is pretty much intact and you know what they can do, they might be more run heavy early on as they work the rookie receivers and Amendola in. Then again, they might just throw it all over the place to give the new guys as many looks as possible to see who 'gets it'. By midyear they should have a better understanding of who does what well and will start to gel. Gronk should almost definitely be back and strong by then as well. Season can't kickoff soon enough...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Good Thread.  I'll take a shot at it:

QB: Brady  (No brainer.  Mallett in garbage time and Tebow gets cut.)

RB: Ridley  (Ridely should once again be the lead back, but expect to see a lot of Vereen, and not just on 3rd downs.  Vereen will be seen lined up all over the place, including the backfield, as a slot WR, and even out wide.  I think he will develop into a dangerous weapon for our offense this year, and I expect McD to use a lot of creative ways to get the ball into his hands.)

WR: Amendola, Edelman, Dobson  (Obvioulsy the biggest mystery going into camp.  I could see several guys breaking into the starting rotation, but for now I will predict a healthy Amendola and Edelman to start, and for Dobson to break out in Camp and Pre-Season and grab a starting spot in a 3 WR set.  Once Gronk returns, I think we will once again favor a 2 TE set, but if he misses a few games early I think McD will rely on a 3rd WR.  Boyce and Jenkins are also strongly in the mix.)

TE: Sudfeld  (I expect Gronk to be cleared by Week 1, but for the Pats to keep him out for the first 2-3 games as a precaution.  I'm not sold on Ballard's health either.  Hooman will see a lot of time early on, but I'll go out on a limb and predict the UDFA rookie to continue his strong play with the pads on and grab a week 1 starting role.)

OL: Solder, Mankins, Wendell, Cannon, Vollmer  (Connelly/Cannon is a coin-flip at RG, but I'll go with youth/health for now.  I love our OL.)

DL: Jones, Wilfork, Kelly, Ninkovich  (Armsead is the wild-card here.  I could see him replacing Kelly as a started with a strong pre-season.  Also don't sleep on Bequette to get a fair amount of minutes.)

LB: Mayo, Spikes, Hightower  (I love our starting 3.  Expect to see a lot of Collins filling in for Spikes on passing downs and against heavy pass attacks.)

S: McCourty, A. Wilson  (I loved the Adrian Wilson signing initially and still do.  Expect them to work Tavon in quite a bit, but I think Adrian will start and be a big contributer)

CB: Talib, Dowling  (At this point, I'm guessng Dennard will miss somewhere around 4-6 games.  I'll take Ras-I to maitain his health and grab a starting job by Week 1.  If he can stay on the field, he may not look back.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

1. I think Ballard starts over Hooman.

2. I think they run a 3-4 this year or a 2 5 4 type alignment with Adrian Wilson brought down to be like a LB/Rover Safety.

3. I think if Dowling is healthy it still may push Arrington inside or he'll share the right with Arrington with BB playing plenty of nickel.

PS Dowling was still hurt/battling back from injury during the preseason last year so we don't know if he could beat him out or not.

Also, in 2011, Dowling did beat out Arrington to start that year and played well in Miami in Week 1 before injuring  his hip in the 1st half of Week 2 vs SD.

I am still not so sure about Dowling. He was healthy enough to dress and play opening week and in 6 of the first 7 games before he went out of the year, and he still never got a start. Honestly, with some new young DBs in camp, I would not be surprised if he ends up starting or doesn't even make the team.

I think Ballard is the number one TE if Gronk is out, but the stuff I have read about him is not great. He was allegedly still hobbled at OTAs (which is why Sudfeld got so much love), and I have even seen some people question whether he will be the same player he was in New York.

Adrian Wilson is interesting. I wonder how much he has left in the tank. Arizona was ready to lose him, they think Rashad Johnson can step right in a replace him. I my mind he was brought in to "quarterback" the defensive backs. I think the team has been missing that sort of guy back there since Harrison retired. Gregory was probably brought here because the though even if he is not a talented he is a veteran who know what to do and where guys should be lined up. He, in my opinion, was a disaster last season, and I would not be surprised if he is not on the roster either (especially since he does not play special teams).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Good Thread.  I'll take a shot at it:

QB: Brady  (No brainer.  Mallett in garbage time and Tebow gets cut.)

RB: Ridley  (Ridely should once again be the lead back, but expect to see a lot of Vereen, and not just on 3rd downs.  Vereen will be seen lined up all over the place, including the backfield, as a slot WR, and even out wide.  I think he will develop into a dangerous weapon for our offense this year, and I expect McD to use a lot of creative ways to get the ball into his hands.)

WR: Amendola, Edelman, Dobson  (Obvioulsy the biggest mystery going into camp.  I could see several guys breaking into the starting rotation, but for now I will predict a healthy Amendola and Edelman to start, and for Dobson to break out in Camp and Pre-Season and grab a starting spot in a 3 WR set.  Once Gronk returns, I think we will once again favor a 2 TE set, but if he misses a few games early I think McD will rely on a 3rd WR.  Boyce and Jenkins are also strongly in the mix.)

TE: Sudfeld  (I expect Gronk to be cleared by Week 1, but for the Pats to keep him out for the first 2-3 games as a precaution.  I'm not sold on Ballard's health either.  Hooman will see a lot of time early on, but I'll go out on a limb and predict the UDFA rookie to continue his strong play with the pads on and grab a week 1 starting role.)

OL: Solder, Mankins, Wendell, Cannon, Vollmer  (Connelly/Cannon is a coin-flip at RG, but I'll go with youth/health for now.  I love our OL.)

DL: Jones, Wilfork, Kelly, Ninkovich  (Armsead is the wild-card here.  I could see him replacing Kelly as a started with a strong pre-season.  Also don't sleep on Bequette to get a fair amount of minutes.)

LB: Mayo, Spikes, Hightower  (I love our starting 3.  Expect to see a lot of Collins filling in for Spikes on passing downs and against heavy pass attacks.)

S: McCourty, A. Wilson  (I loved the Adrian Wilson signing initially and still do.  Expect them to work Tavon in quite a bit, but I think Adrian will start and be a big contributer)

CB: Talib, Dowling  (At this point, I'm guessng Dennard will miss somewhere around 4-6 games.  I'll take Ras-I to maitain his health and grab a starting job by Week 1.  If he can stay on the field, he may not look back.)

As for all this talk about Sudfeld, I want to see him play in full pads against NFL players. One of the knocks against him was his strength (11 reps on the bench press is very low for a TE - let alone a 6-7 250 lbs one) and that would not show up in non-contact OTAs.  I refuse to pencil anyone into the starting line-up based on running around in nothing but shorts and a helmet in June.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

1. Our fans underrate Arrington here. Big time. Good player.  Great in zone, excellent on the inside and on lateral routes/anything under 10 yards. Obviously, with a QB having more time, past 10 yards to look downfield, a smaller CB can be beaten by a larger, more physical WR. That could be anybody, Brent Grimes or Kyle Arrington. Just saying.

2. Dowling was coming off a hip injury last year in camp.  There were reports he was behind schedule. I think the idea was for him to be there by midseason or late in the year to help out, so he made the club. It never happened, he then injured his leg, which may or may not have been tied to overcompensating for that hip.

Anyway, there is no point debating Dowling. Whatever happens, happens. Personally, I think he's a pretty good talent, it's just a matter of the health element, obviously at this point. If he doesn't look legit all camp long and preseason both play and healthwise, he's gone.

I am not sure how many vet CBS are left. I had suggested Jacon Lacey because he's good on the inside and has outside experience with STs success, but Minny picked him up.

As for Dennard, I see him missing the first 2 games, barring some irrational punishment to be handed down on July 31.

Agree on Wilson being brought in here for teaching, but also he'll impact and start, IMO.  This is very similar to the Brian Waters signing in 2011.

People kept asking why he was cut and I kept saying it was because KC had a LG (Jon Amoah or something) whom they liked and they wanted to move forward in developing at a much cheaper rate off the Lockout. It had nothing to do with Waters's play.  Voila, BB clips him and next to Light, he was our best OL in 2011 by a mile.

I think Ballard will be fine by Sept.  He's carrying more eight than most people off of ACL surgery, so his recovery has been a bit slower, but I think he make the team and will help.

Sudfeld to me is a Hernandez style TE even with his size. I agree he has a thinner upper frame than you'd expect at that size, but his incredibly athletic too.  Gronk, Ballard, Hooman or Fells can be used to block.   Obviously, you want Gronk in there doing it, but they can get by with Fells, Hooman or Ballard, early in the season.

Arrington is a bit underrated. In the modern NFL you need some one with his skills (essentially a cornerback who covers the slot). I think he is overmatched when he ends up on the outside, but clearly BB thinks he is worth $4m a year for 4 years so the team thinks he is important to the defense.

Cornerback will sort itself out in camp. I am not even going to guess on Dennard. I would not be surprised if he is here for Game 1 or off the team. There are too many variables that do not have anything to do with the Patriots. All we know right now, is that we will have a better idea what his status is after his July 31st hearing.

I like Wilson, he definitely had a down year last year and that prompted his price to drop and Arizona to move on from him. He has something to prove, the question is really whether he still has the physical ability to do it.

Some people think that Sudfeld is more of a Gronk because of his size, but he has nowhere near Gronk's strength from what I have read and seen. He is definitely more of Hernandez. He is ultimately a tweener (not strong enough to line up as a TE every down - and not fast or quick enough to line up split out every down).

I am already second guessing my WR crew. Looking back, WR is the one position where no rookie has succeeded in a long time. I believe Deion Branch had the best rookie season of anyone that was 12 seasons ago and 43 catches, 489 yards, 2 TDs is not exactly all world.

Looking at Boyce and Dobson, they both actually graded out around the same as Taylor Price three years ago and it took him 15 games to see the field. It is probably more likely that one of the veterans (Jones or Jenkins) is the second or third WR with Edelman and Amendola.

I am not saying that a rookie cannot make an instant impact as a wide out on this team. I am just saying that in the time Belichick and Brady have been together. It has never happened.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

1. Our fans underrate Arrington here. Big time. Good player.  Great in zone, excellent on the inside and on lateral routes/anything under 10 yards. Obviously, with a QB having more time, past 10 yards to look downfield, a smaller CB can be beaten by a larger, more physical WR. That could be anybody, Brent Grimes or Kyle Arrington. Just saying.

2. Dowling was coming off a hip injury last year in camp.  There were reports he was behind schedule. I think the idea was for him to be there by midseason or late in the year to help out, so he made the club. It never happened, he then injured his leg, which may or may not have been tied to overcompensating for that hip.

Anyway, there is no point debating Dowling. Whatever happens, happens. Personally, I think he's a pretty good talent, it's just a matter of the health element, obviously at this point. If he doesn't look legit all camp long and preseason both play and healthwise, he's gone.

I am not sure how many vet CBS are left. I had suggested Jacon Lacey because he's good on the inside and has outside experience with STs success, but Minny picked him up.

As for Dennard, I see him missing the first 2 games, barring some irrational punishment to be handed down on July 31.

Agree on Wilson being brought in here for teaching, but also he'll impact and start, IMO.  This is very similar to the Brian Waters signing in 2011.

People kept asking why he was cut and I kept saying it was because KC had a LG (Jon Amoah or something) whom they liked and they wanted to move forward in developing at a much cheaper rate off the Lockout. It had nothing to do with Waters's play.  Voila, BB clips him and next to Light, he was our best OL in 2011 by a mile.

I think Ballard will be fine by Sept.  He's carrying more eight than most people off of ACL surgery, so his recovery has been a bit slower, but I think he make the team and will help.

Sudfeld to me is a Hernandez style TE even with his size. I agree he has a thinner upper frame than you'd expect at that size, but his incredibly athletic too.  Gronk, Ballard, Hooman or Fells can be used to block.   Obviously, you want Gronk in there doing it, but they can get by with Fells, Hooman or Ballard, early in the season.

Arrington is a bit underrated. In the modern NFL you need some one with his skills (essentially a cornerback who covers the slot). I think he is overmatched when he ends up on the outside, but clearly BB thinks he is worth $4m a year for 4 years so the team thinks he is important to the defense.

Cornerback will sort itself out in camp. I am not even going to guess on Dennard. I would not be surprised if he is here for Game 1 or off the team. There are too many variables that do not have anything to do with the Patriots. All we know right now, is that we will have a better idea what his status is after his July 31st hearing.

I like Wilson, he definitely had a down year last year and that prompted his price to drop and Arizona to move on from him. He has something to prove, the question is really whether he still has the physical ability to do it.

Some people think that Sudfeld is more of a Gronk because of his size, but he has nowhere near Gronk's strength from what I have read and seen. He is definitely more of Hernandez. He is ultimately a tweener (not strong enough to line up as a TE every down - and not fast or quick enough to line up split out every down).

I am already second guessing my WR crew. Looking back, WR is the one position where no rookie has succeeded in a long time. I believe Deion Branch had the best rookie season of anyone that was 12 seasons ago and 43 catches, 489 yards, 2 TDs is not exactly all world.

Looking at Boyce and Dobson, they both actually graded out around the same as Taylor Price three years ago and it took him 15 games to see the field. It is probably more likely that one of the veterans (Jones or Jenkins) is the second or third WR with Edelman and Amendola.

I am not saying that a rookie cannot make an instant impact as a wide out on this team. I am just saying that in the time Belichick and Brady have been together. It has never happened.

Our 2002 season with Branch and Givens also saw us not really run it with Antowain Smith as much. They went 9-7, mostly due to some slowness and continuity issues on D, but Brady also came out wanting to throw it that year. Michael Haynes didn't fit and that was that.

I think this is a LOT different, however, and it's really a health situation with Amendola (I think his injury past is completely overblown) and Edelman. If we started today, those are the WRs and I have no issue with that at all, assuming Gronk is ready to go as well.  I know it's very, very popular here for some of of our newer fans to need media reassurance with Edelman, but the guy is a player. He catches it, runs solid routes, has some speed, great open space ability and can get deep if we need it (NY Jets last year when he snuck by Landry).

The biggest misconception by the media and some of our own fans is that we have to run a spread offense. That's just not true.

Something like this on opening day is fine by me:

Edelman                  Vereen               Gronk           Amendola

Brady

Ridley

Your back ups can be Dobson behind Edelman, since he's a default X player in college and maybe a Boyce or a Jenkins (whoever wins that 4th/Veteran WR spot) behind Amendola.

Or, you just take Vereen off the field and use a two back set.  Maybe you ask a bigger Bolden to do some lead blocking with Ridley as the ball carrier at times.  Or, maybe you just get on with it and bring in Vonta Leach to be like what Howard Griffith was for Denver and Elway at age 36 in 1997?

When was the last time we saw two RBs, split behind Brady under Center with only 1 TE?  I want more of that kind of formation variation, but with limited to no subbing of the backs. Maybe you take off a Bolden and plop Vereen out there as a slot guy on 3rds or a second TE for 1st and 2nd downs, but that's it.

I think what's going to eventually happen is, BB will move a lot of these guys around like the old days instead of just showing who we have in a spread and hoping the physical matchup advantages work.  Troy Brown used to be in motion on almost every down in our lineup.  What happened to that stuff? 

What's happened is, teams show one D that appears to be an advantage, then they switch it right before the snap, so this compromises what Brady thinks he has on his first 2 reads, which we know are pretty much ALWAYS, Welker or Gronk, two interior guys. By the end of 2007, Jim Johnson knew it was Moss/Welker, so his D showed Moss in single, then they adjusted right before the snap to double and take him away, leaving the predictable Welker read, also compromised. It's how we lost SB 42. It's how we've scored so few points in these recent games. I think that stuff is over. For it to go on would be absolutely lunacy at this point.

So, all this handwringing and doom vibe by the media will be hilarious come Sept when non Pats are asking how BB does it.  Yep.

You start using motion for man coverages more, trying to force them into zones which Brady shreds and hitting quality perimeter guys, not playing favorites, etc, and watch out.  There is definite potential for that kind of thing to resurface with the skill he has here. 

This offense will not miss a beat much at all, IMO. Instead of 42-17, it will be 28-17 and stuff like that.   Great O Line, major quality and depth at RB now, potential for very nice TEs again if it pans out correctly, and solid WRs, kinda like 2004 all over again.

Brady is 36. This whole idea of it needing to be about mostly passing or passing first has gotten us nowhere.

As for rookie WRs and their advancement as rookies, Gronk and Hern, while not WRs, with lesser routes, can be considered rookies who had quick impact as pass receivers.  They can just bleed in the rookies as the season goes and ask them to master, maybe 10-15 plays, that can be used when they're out there.

A lot of this vibe about how Brady is not taken care of at WR has become completely out of control. A lot of it is on Brady himself. He had a complaint back in 2006 with the unexpected departure of Branch and only Caldwell added, but since then he's had a lot of what he's needed or asked for.

"Pressure on Brady" this year. Baloney. Manning had no issues working with Eric Decker last year.

Good post Rusty. I agree if Edelman and Amendola can both be healthy and on the field, that's actually a pretty damn good receiving combo. I know it isn't the sexiest pair for a lot of fans, but these guys have both and productive in this style of offense and I think they could really complement each other well. With a healthy Gronk, I believe that our offensive weapons are a lot better than people think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Biggest concern is injury. We still do not know how, Edelman, Boyce, Ballard, Connolly are rehabbing, and we don't know if Dennard is even on the team.....

Connolly and Ballard coming off the more serious injuries, so they may have the longest road back

If Boyce is not on the field soon, I am concerned with his ability to catch up...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Great thread....finally!! A few thoughts....

I think we will see one of the vet WRs make the start like Jones or maybe Jenkins. I really hope Dobson can figure it out...he just looks like he could be a beast.

Make or break years for Dowling (I think he makes it) having a bigger corner would be nice. Cannon....can he make the step forward and be a force? I predict yes.

Defensive backfield really all depends on Dennard. If he's not in jail, or suspended, he will start opposite Talib.....and I see A.Wilson & McCourty as locks. Will Tavon get more playing time and take the next step? One can only hope...

Where I feel clueless is the Dline/pass rush....just so many different possibilities. Between the rookies & free agents....who steps up? Can't wait to watch this area in pre-season.

Sections
Shortcuts