game impression?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bkoo72. Show bkoo72's posts

game impression?

does everyone else feel this way or is it just me:

1) Defense really struggled. pass rush especially. Rookie Sam picked us apart. underneath coverage once again poor, and Mayo really not showing up again.

2)Bodden looked rusty obviously. Butler really blows a couple plays every game. McCourty looks better everytime, but obviously still makes rookie mistakes here and there. 

3) offense struggled mightily against Rams ones. couldn't run a lick, and passing was off beat. only started to look better against Rams twos...

4)officiating really sucked. lots of blown calls and some of the roughing the passer penalties were ridiculous.

5) Special teams really looked good except a play here and there.

6)Gronk is a beast! absolutely awesome.

overall, disappointed how our ones performed against the Lowly Rams...

thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: game impression?

Preseason.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to game impression?:
    [QUOTE]does everyone else feel this way or is it just me: 1) Defense really struggled. pass rush especially. Rookie Sam picked us apart. underneath coverage once again poor, and Mayo really not showing up again. 2)Bodden looked rusty obviously. Butler really blows a couple plays every game. McCourty looks better everytime, but obviously still makes rookie mistakes here and there.  3) offense struggled mightily against Rams ones. couldn't run a lick, and passing was off beat. only started to look better against Rams twos... 4)officiating really sucked. lots of blown calls and some of the roughing the passer penalties were ridiculous. 5) Special teams really looked good except a play here and there. 6)Gronk is a beast! absolutely awesome. overall, disappointed how our ones performed against the Lowly Rams... thoughts?
    Posted by bkoo72[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Stop blaming the f&cking officiating. Makes you sound like a f&cking child. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Preseason. Bill didnt game plan for this and no one game plans or puts actual plays in for whats basically a scrimmage. 

Evaluate players is what the preseason is about. I will say this dont be shocked if Sanders, Morris, or Wright or cut or just lost places on th e depth chart. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

My theory that the 2nd preseason game was the 3rd this year looks good about now lol.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I didn't see the whole game but here's my 2 cents worth. 

Tully Banta Cain had a good game but he alone is not enough to get enough pressure on the QB. Teams will concentrate on shutting down his rush and there is little other threat. 

Run defense looked very poor. If they are going to get picked apart in the passing game they need at the very least to be stout against the run.

Butler played poorly but McCourty secured his starting position. He looks very good. I liked the hitting in the secondary and they were able to make plays on the ball but as pointed out above they were picked apart in the underneath coverage. You get the sense that they will be getting interceptions.  I can't entirely blame the secondary as there was no pass rush or penetration. I was more than disappointed with Butler though. Thank goodness McCourty seems to be the real deal and we don't have to start Butler because Butler needs another year of development. Bradford could have been sitting on a couch eating popcorn back there and casually throwing the ball. They are probably going to have to take more risks in the rush. Even when they blitzed they couldn't get a guy in there. 

I'm not worried about the running game. I think BB may be contemplating cutting Morris and keeping Green-Ellis. Morris gets hurt every year and I think he needs the roster spot for our overloaded receiver and secondary guys. Fred Taylor is probably the starter with Maroney the 2nd guy and Green- Ellis getting time if someone gets hurt. The overall offense is top tier. Obviously Gronk is amazing. 

It's going to take 4 regular season games to really see what we have on defense. I think this could ultimately become a good unit but I think we are going to have some frustrations when they give up points late in the game like they did last year even after building leads. Next year's draft is going to be a big one since we are going to go for olb and running back as our priorities and I think we will move up instead of down to address olb. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MatildaWanna. Show MatildaWanna's posts

I use to be able to do impressions. I can do Lady GaGa poker face, wanna see?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Gronk is a beast. Potential to be a better Ben Coates.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from breezer827. Show breezer827's posts

I think that the defense looked awful throughout the whole game. The Pats offense started slow but eventually picked up to the offense that we are used to seeing. I think that if Edelman was able to play it would have been a better out come on the offensive side early on. I think Brady and Tate need a little more time together. Brady once again has proven that he still has an ability to lead a team back from a deficit. He is still our boy. If he played the whole game, we would have won it. I'm convinced after the 3 games that he is going to have a great season. Gronk was amazing. This was the 2nd game in a row that the tight ends have really shown potential and i'm really excited for them. I also loved the rookie hair cuts. Tongue out I'm a little concerned on a few injuries but i guess in a couple of days we will find out if it is a real problem. 

I was personally sad to see Avery go down on the Rams. I think that he is a very good player and sadly it looks like a season ending injury. Wes Welker brought tears to my eyes watching him go over to Avery when he was on the cart and told him that he will be okay. What a classy player. Love ya Wes!!!

The team throughout the game just didn't look like they really wanted to play. WE all know that Belichick isn't a happy camper and will let the team know it. Overall disappointing, but it could have been worse.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to game impression?: 4-5 years of BB mismanagement of the off season coming home to roost. And yes, number 4 is correct also.
    [QUOTE]does everyone else feel this way or is it just me: 1) Defense really struggled. pass rush especially. Rookie Sam picked us apart. underneath coverage once again poor, and Mayo really not showing up again. 2)Bodden looked rusty obviously. Butler really blows a couple plays every game. McCourty looks better everytime, but obviously still makes rookie mistakes here and there.  3) offense struggled mightily against Rams ones. couldn't run a lick, and passing was off beat. only started to look better against Rams twos... 4)officiating really sucked. lots of blown calls and some of the roughing the passer penalties were ridiculous. 5) Special teams really looked good except a play here and there. 6)Gronk is a beast! absolutely awesome. overall, disappointed how our ones performed against the Lowly Rams... thoughts?
    Posted by bkoo72[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I refuse to get too excited or too upset over anything I see in preseason.  That said, it's still better to look good in preseason than to look bad.  With that in mind:

1. Agree on Gronk.  He's a keeper.

2. I'll assume that Reiss is correct about the Pats clearly wanting to focus on the passing game, because we sure weren't as balanced as we were in the first two games.  Additionally, our offense didn't get it's act together until the Rams played their 2nd team D.  Again, I assume they were one dimensional on purpose tonight.

3. Mayo, where are you?  I sure hope he goes back to his rookie year form.  We rightfully blamed his average year last season on his injuries, so what can we come up with this year if he doesn't get back to his rookie season?  Maybe being the lead dog is too much of a load on the guy?  Ahhh, it's just preseason...

Like I said, I refuse to get too upset or too excited over a preseason game.  That said, I'd be quite surprised if BB is a happy guy right now thinking his team did as good as they should have done.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Yea i am not worried about anything except for MAYO... I am not seeing any glimpses of him during plays.. I am getting worried... But still hopeful he can get back to his form...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

In Response to Re: game impression?:
    [QUOTE]Preseason. Bill didnt game plan for this and no one game plans or puts actual plays in for whats basically a scrimmage. 
    Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE]

If the Rams didn't game plan why did we give up over 450 yards? We have issues on defense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Posted by bkoo72[/QUOTE]

I didn't get to see the game sadly.  From what you have listed and what little I've read it just sounds like a team bad game with a couple of highlights.  Obviously the defense struggled all game but the offense only had one first down in the first half.  Sounds like the team didn't come ready to play to me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portcallen99. Show portcallen99's posts

First half Pats displayed one of the worst performances I've seen in years. Completely overmatched, no passion or grit, and the sum of the offense: 3 and out.

Y'all saw the defense, or should we say, lack of defense. Who was that big lineman that we traded a couple of seasons ago to San Diego? Sure could have used him last night and all of last season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The only thing I took from this game was that neither Wilhite nor Sanders should ever be in the game. They are just awful.

I wouldn't read much into the unit's play. Neither side of the ball came out and played their best, but the Pats rarely ever do well in their third preseason game. It's usually Belichick's way of seeing what pieces work together. 

WILHITE AND SANDERS DO NOT WORK WITH ANYONE! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

if we play d like that we wont go far...but i will say bradford looks like the real deal... they wont be picking first next year...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

My concern is the same issue we had last year that this Defense does not have a true leader on it, be it a player or coach.  Everyone thought Vince Wilfork was going to step up this year with his new contract and all.  They need a guy that can movitivate the rest of the defense when they come out so flat. 

The coaches were no better as everytime they showed either Pepper Johnson or the linebacker coach, they were just staring out in space with blank looks on there face.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Posted by bkoo72[/QUOTE]

You pretty much Summed it up pretty good!  My biggest concern of course, which I think is MAIN concern is our DEFENSE!!  UGH, Once the bell rings - our defense doesn't have the horses as it did in the past.  NO Pass rushers - No pressure on QB's equals our defense wont' be able to get OFF the field!  I didn't NEED last nights game to say this, as this was my worry before last night's game. I wanted the Pats to pick up Schobel, but he obviously retired, and not sure what help they can get outside this roster, but it doesn't look threatening to opposing offenses.  HOpefully this whole defense can PICK things UP when the Bell rings - but we'll see.  I just don't think they have the horses on that D-line and I'm afraid this will be the chat most of (if not all) this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSRyan. Show PSRyan's posts

The same questions remain from last year. Many here say they addressed last year's questions? In what way did the following get addressed?

1. Pass rush. I know Belicheck is not a pass rush/sack proponent as the end all be all of defense; but with the game so slanted toward QB/WR play these days it HAS to be. Additionally, when that pass rush comes from just the front 3 or 4 THEN you can get more exotic, more creative with looks, which in turn creates the "big plays" (coach speak for turnover). 

2. The run game. Okay so last night's game plan (I thought they weren't game planning...which is it? Did the offense game plan and the defense didn't?) was to pass a lot. Fine. The time to gain an identity is the preseason. This game smacked of the "I'm smarter than everyone else" aspects of this staff wherein after two games of running they were going to completely change and pass.

Look, I'm not saying all is lost woe is us. I do agree with those that say we have the best coach/qb combo in the division - and that does mean a lot.  The defense should get better through the season as constituted - younger defenses almost always do. However, those two HUGE question marks remain question marks and this team did not address them. They will mean the difference between a good season and a great season for this team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Posted by bkoo72[/QUOTE]

The Intensity of the first 2 games just wasn't there last night.
    If they look like this against the Bengals I'll be concerned.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Re: game impression?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to game impression? : The Intensity of the first 2 games just wasn't there last night. If they look like this against the Bengals I'll be concerned.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

The fact that this team is flat at all is a concern to me.  One of the trademarks of the Super Bowl teams (with those long winning streaks) was they took care of business every week.

Remember last year when everyone said don't worry about the regular season, they will turn it on for the playoffs.  How did that Balitmore game turn out?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PiBoy. Show PiBoy's posts

I totally missed the game, so I don't really know what was going on. But from what I have read, it looked like the Pats were reversed back to their old self (last year) on both offense and defense again. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

Banta-Cain had a good game?

He's the very first person I'd replace if I could