Game Lost In The Trenches

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Game Lost In The Trenches

It was a good game, just a bummerz we were on the losing end of that one. One too many mental mistakes, another turnover by Ridley, defense gave up some long plays, Brady harassed just enough; especially at the end of the game.

Next week gonna be that much tougher?  Thank goodness that's a home game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Game Lost In The Trenches

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was a good game, just a bummerz we were on the losing end of that one. One too many mental mistakes, another turnover by Ridley, defense gave up some long plays, Brady harassed just enough; especially at the end of the game.

[/QUOTE]

If Talib and Dennard are out, there is no way they win next week. If they are in, then I think they come away with it. 

Game was lost in the trenches. You need to be able to get off the field on defense. Really. 

At the same time, NE has lost a lot on defense, so at this point ... it is what it is. No Mayo. No Wilfork. No Kelly. 

It hurts. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

It's a damn shame what has happened to the D this season, becaue it looked good at the start of the season ... no team can win with all their best front line playerss out for extended periods ... impossible ... I think Talib may well be done too.  These hip flexor problems are bad news ... I know first hand ... I battled it for 5 years ... and it still flairs up and I am not tackling  220 lb receivers ...

Mayo ... Wilfork ... Kelly ... Dennard ... Talib ... Gregory .... just ridiculous.

Bad D drafting over the years  has come back to haunt the Pats ... hence lack of depth ... T. Wilson, Ebner, Butler, Chung, Meriweather, Brace, Wilhite, Cunningham, the skinny Michigan LB ... I'll throw in Hightower too ... he ain't no 1st round talent ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

The running game was decent, pass pro was good for the most part( except for the last minute drive)  Besides Cam scrambling on third and longs the panthers run game wasnt much.  

The big negative that I saw was the total lack of a pass rush. These DTs just cant push the pocket. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Talib and Dennard are out, there is no way they win next week. If they are in, then I think they come away with it. 

Game was lost in the trenches. You need to be able to get off the field on defense. Really. 

At the same time, NE has lost a lot on defense, so at this point ... it is what it is. No Mayo. No Wilfork. No Kelly. 

It hurts. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  We can only lose so many starters on defense before things on that side of the ball regress.  Plus, our offense (at least for just one game) was overstated after the Steelers game - even after getting Vereen back.  The inside OL is giving away too much pressure up the middle - and, at times, not giving Brady enough time to throw.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to CanadianPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's a damn shame what has happened to the D this season, becaue it looked good at the start of the season ... no team can win with all their best front line playerss out for extended periods ... impossible ... I think Talib may well be done too.  These hip flexor problems are bad news ... I know first hand ... I battled it for 5 years ... and it still flairs up and I am not tackling  220 lb receivers ...

Mayo ... Wilfork ... Kelly ... Dennard ... Talib ... Gregory .... just ridiculous.

Bad D drafting over the years  has come back to haunt the Pats ... hence lack of depth ... T. Wilson, Ebner, Butler, Chung, Meriweather, Brace, Wilhite, Cunningham, the skinny Michigan LB ... I'll throw in Hightower too ... he ain't no 1st round talent ...

[/QUOTE]

The defense was looking pretty darn good.  They were in the top 5 in points against, got their pass defense to around 15, are still top 5 in takeaway/giveaway.  They had taken a hit with run defense (even before Wilfork got injured) - but I was okay with that.  The injuries on the defensive side of the ball has taken their toll.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Tydog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The running game was decent, pass pro was good for the most part( except for the last minute drive)  Besides Cam scrambling on third and longs the panthers run game wasnt much.  

The big negative that I saw was the total lack of a pass rush. These DTs just cant push the pocket. 

[/QUOTE]

I can't argue with what you've said. The fumble by Ridley and 2-3 mental mistakes/penalties didn't help.  The Panthers did a great job and force the Patriots to play their kind of game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't know about the trenches thing. The Pats OL played fine against a tough front seven. Ran it well. They stopped themselves on 3rd and 1 by passing. I'll never understand that. If you get stopped, take the easy FG, but don't stop yourself. 

The DL was pretty stout I thought. Newton was the only guy who did anything running the ball. The pressure was non-existent in the first half but not bad in the second. Nink played well, Jones also.

That said, I agree that they aren't beating Manning with Marquice Cole starting.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know about the trenches thing. The Pats OL played fine against a tough front seven. Ran it well. They stopped themselves on 3rd and 1 by passing. I'll never understand that. If you get stopped, take the easy FG, but don't stop yourself. 

The DL was pretty stout I thought. Newton was the only guy who did anything running the ball. The pressure was non-existent in the first half but not bad in the second. Nink played well, Jones also.

That said, I agree that they aren't beating Manning with Marquice Cole starting.  

[/QUOTE]

I agree with your observations, concerning the game.  However, I disagree about the upcoming game with the Broncos.  Based on what I have seen, so far, I think this team, as it is right now, has a good chance to win next Sunday night.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This ^

Cam Newton had all day to throw, had forever to throw, the few sacks we got were coverage sacks, our 3rd down defensive ranking is plummeting for a reason, our defensive tackles are getting blown off the ball, being blocked one on one, if Newton needed a first down all he had to do was run because our tiny DT's couldn't contain and couldn't shed blocks.  

The loss of both Wilfork and Kelly is too large to overcome, any well balanced offense will have it's way with us.  The most we can hope for going forward is that the offense becomes too good to stop and the defense becomes opportunistic again and starts causing turnovers, tough to do when opponents play a conservative, ball control game plan, which smart teams will do going forward...

It wasn't the bad calls on McCourty and the hold on Gronk (although those were certainly bad calls) it wasn't a single bad play by Talib or Arrington, it is an overall weakness in the dead center of our defensive front that makes all of our pass rushers, linebackers and defensive backs look bad because it starts up front and nothing is happening up front.  

Chris Jones, Vellano, Sopoaga and Fortson are nice complementary players but theres not a dominant starter amongst them.  This isn't a debate.  We had these same defensive issues when Love and Deaderick were starters for the exact same reasons, with Wilfork and Kelly we were the best defense in the NFL.  It's not a mystery.  Wilfork was the single most irreplaceable defender on our team and he is gone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This ^

Cam Newton had all day to throw, had forever to throw, the few sacks we got were coverage sacks, our 3rd down defensive ranking is plummeting for a reason, our defensive tackles are getting blown off the ball, being blocked one on one, if Newton needed a first down all he had to do was run because our tiny DT's couldn't contain and couldn't shed blocks.  

The loss of both Wilfork and Kelly is too large to overcome, any well balanced offense will have it's way with us.  The most we can hope for going forward is that the offense becomes too good to stop and the defense becomes opportunistic again and starts causing turnovers, tough to do when opponents play a conservative, ball control game plan, which smart teams will do going forward...

It wasn't the bad calls on McCourty and the hold on Gronk (although those were certainly bad calls) it wasn't a single bad play by Talib or Arrington, it is an overall weakness in the dead center of our defensive front that makes all of our pass rushers, linebackers and defensive backs look bad because it starts up front and nothing is happening up front.  

Chris Jones, Vellano, Sopoaga and Fortson are nice complementary players but theres not a dominant starter amongst them.  This isn't a debate.  We had these same defensive issues when Love and Deaderick were starters for the exact same reasons, with Wilfork and Kelly we were the best defense in the NFL.  It's not a mystery.  Wilfork was the single most irreplaceable defender on our team and he is gone.

[/QUOTE]

Agree 10000% need better dlinemen

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Most here knew it was going to be a tough game. It was one of those games where the team who makes the least mistakes win and that is exactly what happened.  Bonehead mistakes on Talib and Mankins.  Arrington blows and Talib hurt again. Not looking good for next weekend.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Isn't it our depth that has kept us in 1st place still at 7-3?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Wow, I didn't realize "Butterfingers Ridley" played in the trenches.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Isn't it our depth that has kept us in 1st place still at 7-3?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, we are extraordinarily deep at every position but DT...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Vereen dropped a key sideline pass that should have been caught too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

You left out Wheatley and Ras I Dowling.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

Agree 100 % with Wozzy's well written summary. Chris Jones got some qb pressures and sacks in his first few games but is too small to generate consistent pressure (especially when teams are now aware of him). Pressure up the middle is the key to a pass rush and we've got none right now.

Thought Sopoago did well versus the run but can't generate pressure.

Also Andre Carter doesn't appear to have anything left.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Vereen dropped a key sideline pass that should have been caught too.

[/QUOTE]

That he did. But that was 1/10th of Ridley's catastrophe. Plus Vereen did much more in the passing game than butterfingers did in the ground game. Blount was a far more effective runner than butterfingers as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Game was lost because:

1. Ridley fumble

2. Letting Cam Newton have 3 big runs, defense not containing himon 3rd down

3. Refs screwing the Patriots. They should have called holding, not PI. They gave themselves a way out. The back judge should've have told them to F off.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Game was lost because:

1. Ridley fumble

3. Refs screwing the Patriots. They should have called holding, not PI. They gave themselves a way out. The back judge should've have told them to F off.

[/QUOTE]

Yup.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

[QUOTE]

Game was lost because:

1. Ridley fumble

[/QUOTE]

Didn't Mankins have another stupid penalty (put them in a second and 20 something) on the drive when the Pats had to settle for a field goal?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

Game was lost because:

[/QUOTE]

This ^ is one and the same of what I posted above.  Our third down defense is going from best to worse, it all starts and ends with the defensive tackles.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Game was lost because:

[/QUOTE]

This ^ is one and the same of what I posted above.  Our third down defense is going from best to worse, it all starts and ends with the defensive tackles.

[/QUOTE]

had started a thread on this earlier, but noone seemed interested...lol.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Game was lost because:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

youda though BB would have had someone spying him especially on 3rd downs. especially after the first big gain he got.

BB needs to clean house on the defensive coaching after the season. I know the D has alot of injuries, but sometimes they don't play fundamentally sound.