game observations.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

game observations.......

Like most of you guy I was stoked about the game. Chung looks like a beast out there and he is a physical presents for sure. Reminds me of Rodney. I love the way  BJGE runs the ball. He is hungry to prove himself. I say keep feeding the ball to him as he is only gonna get better. Good game all around.........score wasn't indicatative of the game..........Steelers were never in it.......

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Re: game observations.......

I understand the officials were letting them play last night, allowing both the Pats and the Steelers to get away with a lot of holds on their O-lines.  The Pats' first scoring drive benefited from it.

Just the same, the level of holding became comical last night in the fourth quarter as the officials ignored the most blatant holding imaginable in score after score for the Steelers, like they were willing to keep the Steelers in it or to keep the game interesting for the ratings.  Am I alone in this observation?  I know it is something I have ranted about the past two years, but last night seemed to be a high-water mark for allowing a team to hold play after play after play after play...literally.  Rothlisberger could have been sacked twice as many times.  Has the NFL become the WWF?  Or at least the NBA?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinehurstpf. Show pinehurstpf's posts

Any ideas on why little or no A. Hernandez?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I too was impressed with the play of the O-line.  It seemed like Brady could have whatever he wanted most of the game.  To be honest, I was truly surprised and impressed with how easily the Pats were able to move the ball.  Brady was incredibly sharp but even still this was the Steelers on their home turf. 

Score was not indicative at how completely the Pats had control of this game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: game observations.......:
    Posted by pinehurstpf

I noted that and I'm convinced it was a match up issue.  Gronk clearly was a horrible matchup for the Steelers and that's why he was the featured TE.  My 2 cents.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I understand the officials were letting them play last night, allowing both the Pats and the Steelers to get away with a lot of holds on their O-lines.  The Pats' first scoring drive benefited from it. Just the same, the level of holding became comical last night in the fourth quarter as the officials ignored the most blatant holding imaginable in score after score for the Steelers, like they were willing to keep the Steelers in it or to keep the game interesting for the ratings.  Am I alone in this observation?  I know it is something I have ranted about the past two years, but last night seemed to be a high-water mark for allowing a team to hold play after play after play after play...literally.  Rothlisberger could have been sacked twice as many times.  Has the NFL become the WWF?  Or at least the NBA?
    Posted by chrisakawoody

No, the holding thing was there.  It always is, but TBC was held almost all night long and they never called it.

I also though the BJGE "chop block" call was incredibly iffy. I see the call, but I felt BJGE engaged the Pitt player right before Light re-engaged.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Posted by pinehurstpf

Last night the emphasis was more on the TEs blocking than receiving and Gronk is a better blocker. He did a good job of getting off of his block and getting open. An all around great game for him and very important for him to come back after the fumble last week.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: game observations....... : No, the holding thing was there.  It always is, but TBC was held almost all night long and they never called it. I also though the BJGE "chop block" call was incredibly iffy. I see the call, but I felt BJGE engaged the Pitt player right before Light re-engaged.
    Posted by BBReigns

The penalty was just one of those unfortunate timing things. Light never really re-engaged him and had BJGE got there a half second earlier it wouldn't have been a penalty. Besides I'd rather he block agressively and get that flag than lay back and wait for the rusher to come to him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Hernandez was just a match up thing imho. I don't think he was benched or anything although the dropped pass on the almost backward pass didn't help. I thought he was maybe going to catch it and step back and pass maybe? Thats what it looked like.........we will never know I guess . BJGE penalty was very iffy but called .............what can you do............

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I understand the officials were letting them play last night, allowing both the Pats and the Steelers to get away with a lot of holds on their O-lines.  The Pats' first scoring drive benefited from it. Just the same, the level of holding became comical last night in the fourth quarter as the officials ignored the most blatant holding imaginable in score after score for the Steelers, like they were willing to keep the Steelers in it or to keep the game interesting for the ratings.  Am I alone in this observation?  I know it is something I have ranted about the past two years, but last night seemed to be a high-water mark for allowing a team to hold play after play after play after play...literally.  Rothlisberger could have been sacked twice as many times.  Has the NFL become the WWF?  Or at least the NBA?
    Posted by chrisakawoody

This can drive you crazy if you let it. Holding is one of those infractions that is ill-defined and can be said to occur all the time, depending upon the mood of the official. Obvious holds go uncalled and ticky-tack fouls away from the play are flagged, seemingly arbitrarily. This is the kind of thing that makes otherwise rational people scream "bias," but I'm one of those people who tunes in to see the game -- not the officials. I'm perfectly content with a "let 'em play" attitude. I think officials inject themselves into games far too much. The problem, as always, is inconsistency. In a perfect world, officials would be given leeway to determine whether of not a particular infraction actually affected the outcome of the play. Of course, the officials can't handle the amount of sujbective judgment they are given now, so giving them more would simply be inviting yet deeper, and more disturbing, foolishness.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Posted by chrisakawoody

i agree... a dude tackled mayo in the middle of the filed chasing a play..total joke...

and merriweather PI was a joke he had position on the ball and steeler ran into him...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Re: game observations....... : No, the holding thing was there.  It always is, but TBC was held almost all night long and they never called it. I also though the BJGE "chop block" call was incredibly iffy. I see the call, but I felt BJGE engaged the Pitt player right before Light re-engaged.
    Posted by BBReigns

It didn't look like a chop block as the rule was intended.  Light only lightly touches his hand to the shoulder of the Steeler's rusher as he realized The Law Firm has engaged down low.  But he should have not done it so that the officials could call him on it. Human mistake. Can't fault the officials. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from whitetrashgang. Show whitetrashgang's posts

Posted by chrisakawoody

Back in the forty or fifties when the Bruins played the canadians they had no chance of winning so the refs admited decades later they were told and did call penalties on montreal to keep the games close,much like the NBA does now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: game observations....... : i agree... a dude tackled mayo in the middle of the filed chasing a play..total joke... and merriweather PI was a joke he had position on the ball and steeler ran into him...
    Posted by jcour382

I agree with that too.   I thought the PI call was very iffy. In fact, when you look at the replay, Wallace sells it so hard, he jumps up in the air and throws his body to sell it.

Nice job by him, but that is one where incidental contact is not PI.

Hate that call.

I want two PI calls:

1. 15 yards like college for borderlines.
    2. Spot foul for egregious PI calls (tackling, blatant interfernce out of desperation, etc).

We all know the difference.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: game observations....... : It didn't look like a chop block as the rule was intended.  Light only lightly touches his hand to the shoulder of the Steeler's rusher as he realized The Law Firm has engaged down low.  But he should have not done it so that the officials could call him on it. Human mistake. Can't fault the officials. 
    Posted by chrisakawoody

I hear ya, but that's so iffy, that you let it go. That's my point. They shouldn't be picking and choosing where to over-officiate.  Either call it loose or close.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

O line was awesome and Chung is a real difference maker on D.  Oh and Mr. Brady was off the charts. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

I think we are seeing more line calls for holding and what not due to the refs new position

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

That whole holding issue I think is a function of what the officials choose to call in any given game unless it becomes a point of emphasis from the powers on high.  Kind of cliched to say that holding can be called on any play in any NFL game but in my opinion it's true.  Similarly, I've seen some pass interference calls (and some no-calls) that were totally off the mark.  I really didn't agree with the PI call on Merriweather but that may be the Pats fan in me.

I totally agree that the chop block call on BJGE was technically correct but had no material effect on that play or the game.  It was there but only if the official really wanted to see it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: game observations....... : I agree with that too.   I thought the PI call was very iffy. In fact, when you look at the replay, Wallace sells it so hard, he jumps up in the air and throws his body to sell it. Nice job by him, but that is one where incidental contact is not PI. Hate that call. I want two PI calls: 1. 15 yards like college for borderlines. 2. Spot foul for egregious PI calls (tackling, blatant interfernce out of desperation, etc). We all know the difference.
    Posted by BBReigns

Officials already don't seem to know what pass interference is. Offenses are installing the underthrown ball as an actual play to take advantage of this fact. I don't see how giving officials more leeway to get the call wrong is going to solve this problem. It will just mean teams will have to run the play again if they don't get the spot foul.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

The Patriots offense completely obliterated the #1 defense in football. What can you say about the job Alge Crumpler did blocking James Harrison. And how bout the bounce-back performance of one Rob Gronkowski. He displayed a lot of the same traits that defines this Patriots team - young, resilient, tough, smart, etc.
    While on the other side of the ball, the Patriots stuffed their running game big-time, and imposed their will on the Steelers offense.  How bout all the big pops from the secondary. They were lighting the Steelers up ( Chung, McCourty, Saunders,etc)...just ask Hines Ward.
    It will be funny if the Pats go on this season and our able to meet their goals, we will all remember that Cleveland game as their "wake-up" call.
    Simply put, when the Patriots play the way they are capable of, they can beat anybody in the NFL, and I get the feeling that the Cleveland game will be the best thing that ever happened to this young Patriots team.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I disagree about the Merriweather P/I.  At first I thought it was a bad call.  But after seeing all the replays angles, Merriweather clearly impedes the receiver running his route.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

and I get the feeling that the Cleveland game will be the best thing that ever happened to this young Patriots team. If they could've just beat the Jets they would have really helped us in more than one way...but I agree, it was a good wake up call, but I dont think we overlooked them, I just think they are a very good team with a bad record...sort of like S.D.
    Posted by patsfan76

Yeah, that would've been great. That kid McCoy lools like he is going to be a good one. The good thing is we have the J-e-t-s at Gillette, where the Pats will redeem themselves for that loss earlier this year.

Sections
Shortcuts