game observations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

game observations

some thoughts after digesting the game;

-Pats road struggles a bit of concern in playoffs if they have to go to Denver

-I cant be critical of Jones and Vellano, as they must be beat from all the snaps this season, but are they really NFL players? WOW are they getting dominated. Yes, Jones made a play at the end of the game, but he was dominated all day.

-Hightower? What happened? Playing really poorly right now, is there an injury not being reported? Ok, he stinks in coverage, bu all the missed lanes and missed tackles?

-Does it seem this year Bolden goes down on first contact, always?

-Arrington simply must not be on the outside...if needed, Cole should be used on the outside. I think the Pats played so much zone to protect Arrington and Harmon. Talib was not covering Johnson much of the time.

-Harmon so many missed tackles. Why?

-Ghost-money. Never doubted him all summer (you can lok up my old posts)

-There will be 1 idiot posting here calling out TB's short throw to Gronk. Reality, TB has been the league MVP the past 5 weeks. THat same idiot will ridicule "Gomer" with his 40TD's and "Welkie" with his 10 TD's 

-WHats it been, 3 years since Pats have retruned a KO like Boyce did today?

-Allen-I was wrong this summer, I said keep Mesko

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: game observations

good post rkarp.

i didn't notice Harmon missed tackled, or atleast anything agregious

Arrington blows on the outside, but i seriously think cole would be worse. no joke edelman could be an option. (think troy brown).

hightower, right now, looks like a bust. not just becuase he's playing bad but the way he is. he seems to have NO instincts which in a sense cant be taught.. so that is scary.

i agree the Dline is getting mauled. i would like to see more Sopoaga...

Gostk was pure $$$$$$ and i was very glad to see boyce back there

edelman & gronkwere great. amendola.. inconsistent. TB was amazing to me.

run game was very inconsistent

also i think we need ridley back

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

looks like Denver right now, kc receivers are dropping passes all over

your points are well taken

I am really not so sure what home field means in playoffs

i really don't see that much difference home or away, lots of close games

and two losses were ref jobs

Pats really haven't played a full game yet and except for Atlanta have never really gotten a big lead

We need talib and Dennard and with Ryan we are okay with Arrington in slot

We do have one stud pass rusher who makes big time plays

I was okay with ryan the punter , thought his pedigree was too good

Gronk majpkes such a difference

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

You say Hightower played poorly today.

That's what they call SOP for Hightower. Why didn't Fletcher get more snaps?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from german. Show german's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

good post rkarp.

i didn't notice Harmon missed tackled, or atleast anything agregious

Arrington blows on the outside, but i seriously think cole would be worse. no joke edelman could be an option. (think troy brown).

hightower, right now, looks like a bust. not just becuase he's playing bad but the way he is. he seems to have NO instincts which in a sense cant be taught.. so that is scary.

i agree the Dline is getting mauled. i would like to see more Sopoaga...

Gostk was pure $$$$$$ and i was very glad to see boyce back there

edelman & gronkwere great. amendola.. inconsistent. TB was amazing to me.

run game was very inconsistent

also i think we need ridley back

the reality is this team is going nowhere in the playoffs with this defense.  We can all follow along and be hopeful and get a top seed and all that but you can't hide come playoff time.  This defense is in no way a championship defense and we will be exposed quickly come playoff time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

-I cant be critical of Jones and Vellano, as they must be beat from all the snaps this season, but are they really NFL players? WOW are they getting dominated. Yes, Jones made a play at the end of the game, but he was dominated all day.

-Hightower? What happened? Playing really poorly right now, is there an injury not being reported? Ok, he stinks in coverage, bu all the missed lanes and missed tackles?

-Arrington simply must not be on the outside...if needed, Cole should be used on the outside. I think the Pats played so much zone to protect Arrington and Harmon. Talib was not covering Johnson much of the time.

-There will be 1 idiot posting here calling out TB's short throw to Gronk. Reality, TB has been the league MVP the past 5 weeks. THat same idiot will ridicule "Gomer" with his 40TD's and "Welkie" with his 10 TD's 

and I was wrong about Allen and Ghost.. was screaming for that norwegian dude on youtube instead of Ghost..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I think they need to move McCourty to the outside until Denard gets back. Arrington can only play the slot. I also think Logan Ryan could have the skills to make a good safety. He is aggressive, a good tackler and he is a playmaker. I would rather have Ryan at safety than Arrington outside. Also where was Dane Fletcher??? The middle of the field was was getting gashed with both the pass and run. Spikes is good against the run but both Hightower and Spikes are terrible in coverage. Hightower can't shed a block, all game long he was taken out of the play by a single lineman. With this defense BB is going to have to be very aggressive, they can't play bend but don't break. We may need to see more Soap and Siliga on the inside, because Vellano and Jones are too small to stop the run.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Nice post...some nice points.

What I keep noticing is that we can't open up holes for our backs....3rd and two? It seems like a gimme for most teams...us? I have no trust in us picking those up and as far as us stopping those 3rd and 2's? I don't think I've seen them do it all season - I know it's happened, but I can't remember one.

I think Vellano is getting man handled on almost every snap...Jones every other snap...not good, we can't win anything of importance like that. And it's not going to improve.

Hightower's effort reminds me of Adalious Thomas and his ability reminds me of a poor man's Andy Katzenmoyer. I'm serious when I say Katzenmoyer , they both were terrible at taking on blocks, reading things, covering...at least Kat could run...Hightower jogs. If I was Bill I'd pull him right off that field and send him to the locker room if I saw him jogging one more time. I don't care if it's on the way to the bus - if he jogs I'm benching him. I guarantee he's in a full sprint on the way to the buffet table.

Arrington may have the worst hips in football...kind of a problem if you play corner which he does.

I thought Carter showed up a little today - I mistook him for Jones at one point. Speaking of Jones - beast - just a freak to deal with out there. I thought Nink played pretty well too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to german's comment:

the reality is this team is going nowhere in the playoffs with this defense.  We can all follow along and be hopeful and get a top seed and all that but you can't hide come playoff time.  This defense is in no way a championship defense and we will be exposed quickly come playoff time.

Right, because if we face a good team like Denver or New Orleans, we'll get creamed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Well, I think that most people will stick around for the end of the game from now on.  Arrington is being asked to play out of position and man to man at that.  One should expect trouble there just as in the young DTs.  I thought the LB corp as a group had a bad game today.  Just one of those things.  Never understood the negative talk about Ghost on this board.  TB was throwing the ball well today.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Great point about Hightower reminding you of Adalius Thomas. He has also reminded me of Thomas. Hightower is 6'3" 270LBs, he is too big and not agile enough to avoid blockers or to knife through. And he is too small to overpower a 320LB guard. He is just standing there for these lineman to plow into, and they take him right out of the play. Last week on the screen pass when Denver had a 3rd and 20. Hightower's effort was brutal. He could have stopped the play for a 5yd gain, but instead he was blown up by one of Denvers lineman and pushed back 5yds or more right out of the play. It was pathetic! Dane Fletcher needs to be on the field more. It's been 3 yrs and Hightower is a disapointment.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Lots of negativity on Hightower and I am right there as well. His effort is down right troubling. Not sure why bb keeps him on the field. 

Maybe move him to end and nink to olb. Use hightowers size tomhelp him. I feel he is just too big to play well in space, especially with zero instinct. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Both LBs -- Spikes and Hightower are HORRIBLE in pass coverage --is it just me or do they look like they are jogging in quicksand in pass coverage--Spikes is gone next year--the Pats need to draft or find a free agent stud LB that can play all 3 downs next year. Fletcher should start next to Spikes. And in todays game both LBs were not very good in the run defense either, esp, Hightower?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

A note on Hightower:

1. If the D line in front of LBs play poorly the O linemen have too easy a shot and usually too easy an angle at the LBs. THis is AT LEAST in part the issue we are seeing.

2. I saw serious holding on at least two plays where Hightower looked to be unable to take care of his run responsibilities.  In both case the hold was not called. In each case the hold was essentially not allowing Hightower to disengage frm the blocker to step in to the play.

Still, I am not saying Hightower is playing well. But it is like asking a DB to cover a very good WR when there is zero pass rush. You cant do it forever and eventually they complete the pass even when you play decently.

This is one of the reasons DTs and NTs are so critical. They may not make the actual play but they make it possible for the LBs to make a good play. Many here refuse to realize (especially when talking about QBs but really in every phase) that it is ALWAYS a team effort on O and D on EVERY play. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Another observation: Vereen looked very good running inside. He is not a powerback but he is good taking it inside. He is always dangerous. I suspect we will see more of that the longer Ridley is sidelined with fumblitis of the sinlge hand.

Note how Blount carried with two hands protecting the ball... Someone should tell Ridley two hands are better than one. Here is a simple way to put the idea in his head. Make him run some drills where he must only use one hand to catch some hard passes from TB. Then let him use two hands. It will make the point that two hands secure the ball. Use them at least till you are in open space. And use them before contact.

Another observation: I remain disatisfied with both Wendell and Connolly. They are not bad players but they are not SB caliber players. VERY good backups who would see some time every year. But I am not sold on either as starters. Add to that Mankins age and I would say we need to start to really upgrade the interior of the O line.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Interesting comments on Hightower and I'm not going to defend him.  Perhaps this is an instance where stats are deceiving but the guy led the team in tackles in this game.  I do think the point is valid that in BB's system effective D line play is key to effective LB play.  Let's see how it all plays out with Hightower.  Not ready to call 'bust' yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I think Hightower is being asked to do too much in just his second year.  He is not a coverage LB but Mayo is gone for the year and he is being forced into the role.  He was drafted as an outside LB.  He was good in this role until the injury bug.  Without Wilfork, Mayo and Kelly the linebackers are being pushed to the limit.  Spike is nursing a bad knee.  I think this is making him a step slower than normal. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

In response to msteven's comment:

I think Hightower is being asked to do too much in just his second year.  He is not a coverage LB but Mayo is gone for the year and he is being forced into the role.  He was drafted as an outside LB.  He was good in this role until the injury bug.  Without Wilfork, Mayo and Kelly the linebackers are being pushed to the limit.  Spike is nursing a bad knee.  I think this is making him a step slower than normal. 

I would have to disagree with you.  Hightower had a LOT of trouble as the OLB before Mayo got hurt.  he wasn't setting the edge and was unable to cover TEs or RB to the outside.  YES, the lack of D-line talent has hurt him, but when we see him eaten up by OL and always BEHIND the play, it is a pretty good indicator that he is J.A.G.  To top it all off, he looks like he doesn't care and he plays at half-speed!  And this was ALL going on while Wilfork/Mayo were healthy and on the field. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

good points. Not really worried about playing on road. The slow starts have been remedied vy strong finishes and for years this team couldnt score coming out the half after being frontrunners so I will take the scoring at the end.

The O line really played a great game outside of ONE series where Brady was heavily pressured but for the most part, Great JOB! I love the FB being back in this offense. Develin was valuble yesterday making holes and being an outlet in passing games and may replace Ridley at the goal line!!! lol

I think the team is really coming together at the right time and the injuries to Dobson and KT if not serious could help build more cohesion. (now Gronk , Jules and Amendola will be the main guys like the rooks were earlier) makes for a more diverse offense down the stretch. Unpredictable. HOw many 5 WR sets you see this year? Not many. We are a more diverse team, less reliant on slot position and have showed we can run on anyone when we want. This will bode well for playoffs. Gut check wins are needed to win a SB and we have Plenty and still counting. more comeback wins, the more character we have.  If there is a chance for Ghost to make a big kick in playoffs, I believe he gets a chance now.

Defense looked more like the bend but dont break sunday even with Talib so I gotta give Wozzy a shout out for saying lack of D tackle is more important than shutdown CB at the moment cuz without a rush, or  you cant stop the pass and you if aint stout, you cant stop the run.  I thought Chandler struggled against their Very good Tackle. He didnt get much pressure all game. HIghtower started well by making a couple stops 5 yards downfield which was better than his usual stop 10 yards downfield but fizzled out later. Spikes is toughing it out and would do good to sit out a week vs a weak team coming up. we need him healthy for the stretch. Collins is gonna be used situationly week to week and they expected more running from Texans but good to see him blitzing.

Not being a homer at all but I have us as the best team in AFC. Seattle for the NFC. I  would like nothing better!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

good points. Not really worried about playing on road. The slow starts have been remedied vy strong finishes and for years this team couldnt score coming out the half after being frontrunners so I will take the scoring at the end.

The O line really played a great game outside of ONE series where Brady was heavily pressured but for the most part, Great JOB! I love the FB being back in this offense. Develin was valuble yesterday making holes and being an outlet in passing games and may replace Ridley at the goal line!!! lol

I think the team is really coming together at the right time and the injuries to Dobson and KT if not serious could help build more cohesion. (now Gronk , Jules and Amendola will be the main guys like the rooks were earlier) makes for a more diverse offense down the stretch. Unpredictable. HOw many 5 WR sets you see this year? Not many. We are a more diverse team, less reliant on slot position and have showed we can run on anyone when we want. This will bode well for playoffs. Gut check wins are needed to win a SB and we have Plenty and still counting. more comeback wins, the more character we have.  If there is a chance for Ghost to make a big kick in playoffs, I believe he gets a chance now.

Defense looked more like the bend but dont break sunday even with Talib so I gotta give Wozzy a shout out for saying lack of D tackle is more important than shutdown CB at the moment cuz without a rush, or  you cant stop the pass and you if aint stout, you cant stop the run.  I thought Chandler struggled against their Very good Tackle. He didnt get much pressure all game. HIghtower started well by making a couple stops 5 yards downfield which was better than his usual stop 10 yards downfield but fizzled out later. Spikes is toughing it out and would do good to sit out a week vs a weak team coming up. we need him healthy for the stretch. Collins is gonna be used situationly week to week and they expected more running from Texans but good to see him blitzing.

Not being a homer at all but I have us as the best team in AFC. Seattle for the NFC. I  would like nothing better!

How can you possibly think that the "team is coming together" when the defense looked atrocious? The offensively-challenged Texans behind a rookie QB put up 31 points. Sure the offense behind TB is playing much better but didn't you see Houston receivers wide open by 10 to 15 yards? Isn't our run defense ranked 31st in the league? Wasn't our pass defense ranked 31st last year? And is it that much better with Arrington playing corner? What if we faced the Ravens in the playoffs and gave up 31 points? Besides the terrific game by Brady the 3 pluses I took from this game were no penalties, no fumbles and "The Ghost" coming through. 

Sections
Shortcuts