Game observations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Game observations

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree - Hightower is a bust

[/QUOTE]

He was awful on that TD pass scored on him.  Had his back to the ball, seemed like he was wearing cement shoes, he was so slow to react, looked totally lost on that play and just flubbed that tackle attempt!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ccsjl's comment:

[QUOTE]

2 minute D gives up TDs both ends of halves....

[/QUOTE]

I've pointed this out many times.  End of first half, D gives up an 82 yard TD drive to the Phins in less than 2 minutes.  End of the game, gives up 60 yard TD (Dolphins probably would have made it if they had to go 80) drive in less than 3 minutes.  In BOTH cases had the Dolphins in a 3rd and 10+ yard situation and couldn't make the stop.  At what time should we feel the D needs to step up for once and make a critical stop to win the game?  It can't be about the offense ALWAYS bailing out the D.

[/QUOTE]

That is because the O is better (relative to the opponent) than the D.   It is going to be like this until the D can get better either with scheme or personnel changes. 

Start with scheme...  where was the pressure that got to Tanahill in the first game ?   Had to expect adjustments by Fins of course but the corner blitz worked on the one time they ran it.  Got a Sack...   Did you see that blitz on those crucial drives? No...not enough balls I guess with whoever calls those plays.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A few myths I'm hearing that need to be debunked:

• We didn't run enough.  We ran a lot in that game and did a very good job establishing the run. In fact, I thought the utilization of the run was among the best we've seen all season. 
    • We passed too much.  The high number of passes was mostly dictated by the game situations.  And several of our scoring drives were pass heavy, so when we did pass more, we weren't hurt by it. 
    • The play calling was bad, especially in the red zone.  Actually, this was a pretty well called game, I think.  There were times when we threw a lot in the red zone, but unfortunately, we weren't in great running situations.  Again, game situations dictated a lot of the calls. 
    • Brady was the problem.  Get real.  Brady had a great game. He was accurate and quick to release the ball.  With the receivers he had, he did a remarkable job.  

The real problem with the game was twofold:

• First, the defense is really bad.  This, I believe, is mostly because of injury (it has nothing to do with BB's skills as GM).  But the front seven isn't good, and the secondary struggled a bit.  Dennard and Talib, I think, are both less than 100%.
    • Second, we are back to a duct tape and paper clip offense.  The O-line has gone from a slight weakness (with Wendell and Connolly) to a real problem thanks to injury.  And, most important, the lack of big, quality WRs and TEs is killing us.  At the end of the game, we had three Welker replacements and little else.  That's not a collection of weapons that can do much in the red zone.  

[/QUOTE]

Well Pro, the only thing I would disagree with is that the D is bad because of injuries AND BB's lack of GM skills.

The only equalizer of rookies is depth.  How many rookies and UDFA's are we starting this year?  If past acquisitions had panned out, would that be the case?

If Love, Deadrick, Cunningham, Beguette and 95% of the past few year DB's had worked out, would their depth be rookies and UDFA's?  If Vet FA's had worked out, would they be starting rookies?

Don't even get me started on the receivers, who instead of being replaced through out the past 3 years, were replaced all at once.  3 rookie wr's, Who does that?

LOL. right now it's currently Brady and a few vets and last years Rutger's team, against the NFL.

That ought to get us far.

Thank God for TB.  He deserves a medal.

[/QUOTE]

Good points. And I'll add something, there has been a lot of praise for Bill uncovering undrafted free agents and people get all giddy over them. Well the reason why those undrafted free agents are even here in the first place is because the 5 guys we signed and drafted to play that particular position didn't work out and we are forced to "uncover undrafted free agents". You watch him roll out Justin Francis last year? Everyone was ready to place him into the Hall of Fame - he'd put him out there for very very specific situations and then run him off the field...he didn't even make the team this year. Watch Fletcher, he runs him out there for the guy to run in a straight line for 8 yards and then  gets his butt off the field before he gets further exposed. Thompkins runs maybe four routes, otherwise he is off the field. Vellano and Jones would be in for 12 snaps a game, but they are forced to play and you see their real talent, which is not nearly as good as it needs to be. Then there was the immortal BJGE (who was not even offered a contract when he was due), at one point this year that guy was ranked 146 out of all guys that have carried the football in YPC average. 

These guys are here because the guys we draft and sign bomb. Then they quietly are let go because they aren't very good. Sorry, but it's true.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

• We didn't run enough.  We ran a lot in that game and did a very good job establishing the run. In fact, I thought the utilization of the run was among the best we've seen all season. 
    • We passed too much.  The high number of passes was mostly dictated by the game situations.  And several of our scoring drives were pass heavy, so when we did pass more, we weren't hurt by it. 
    • The play calling was bad, especially in the red zone.  Actually, this was a pretty well called game, I think.  There were times when we threw a lot in the red zone, but unfortunately, we weren't in great running situations.  Again, game situations dictated a lot of the calls. 
    • Brady was the problem.  Get real.  Brady had a great game. He was accurate and quick to release the ball.  With the receivers he had, he did a remarkable job.  

• First, the defense is really bad.  This, I believe, is mostly because of injury (it has nothing to do with BB's skills as GM).  But the front seven isn't good, and the secondary struggled a bit.  Dennard and Talib, I think, are both less than 100%.
    • Second, we are back to a duct tape and paper clip offense.  The O-line has gone from a slight weakness (with Wendell and Connolly) to a real problem thanks to injury.  And, most important, the lack of big, quality WRs and TEs is killing us.  At the end of the game, we had three Welker replacements and little else.  That's not a collection of weapons that can do much in the red zone.  

[/QUOTE]

Well Pro, the only thing I would disagree with is that the D is bad because of injuries AND BB's lack of GM skills.

The only equalizer of rookies is depth.  How many rookies and UDFA's are we starting this year?  If past acquisitions had panned out, would that be the case?

If Love, Deadrick, Cunningham, Beguette and 95% of the past few year DB's had worked out, would their depth be rookies and UDFA's?  If Vet FA's had worked out, would they be starting rookies?

Don't even get me started on the receivers, who instead of being replaced through out the past 3 years, were replaced all at once.  3 rookie wr's, Who does that?

LOL. right now it's currently Brady and a few vets and last years Rutger's team, against the NFL.

[/QUOTE]

Good points. And I'll add something, there has been a lot of praise for Bill uncovering undrafted free agents and people get all giddy over them. Well the reason why those undrafted free agents are even here in the first place is because the 5 guys we signed and drafted to play that particular position didn't work out and we are forced to "uncover undrafted free agents". You watch him roll out Justin Francis last year? Everyone was ready to place him into the Hall of Fame - he'd put him out there for very very specific situations and then run him off the field...he didn't even make the team this year. Watch Fletcher, he runs him out there for the guy to run in a straight line for 8 yards and then  gets his butt off the field before he gets further exposed. Thompkins runs maybe four routes, otherwise he is off the field. Vellano and Jones would be in for 12 snaps a game, but they are forced to play and you see their real talent, which is not nearly as good as it needs to be. Then there was the immortal BJGE (who was not even offered a contract when he was due), at one point this year that guy was ranked 146 out of all guys that have carried the football in YPC average. 

These guys are here because the guys we draft and sign bomb. Then they quietly are let go because they aren't very good. Sorry, but it's true.

[/QUOTE]

What about situations in which BB does find a good UDFA, signs them to only one year, they perform great and then are let go the following season because BB is unwilling to pay them to stay?  It appears that happens a lot too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've never agreed with Rusty that BB is basically infallible as a GM, but I think without the injuries this year's team would be a championship calibre one, so I don't think team make-up is really the issue.  Are there things that could have been done differently to create more depth or more quality at certain positions?  Probably.   But overall, the team was pretty strong before the injuries, so I wouldn't say team-building was a major issue.  Remember, the team has done a great job staying competitive even with the injuries, so even the depth wasn't that big a problem.  However, you can lose only so many top starters before it becomes a problem.  We've lost for the season two starting DTs, our best starting LB, our best TE (and best offensive weapon after Brady), and our starting RT.  On top of that, we've had multiple starting or key rotational players out with injuries for multi-game stretches (Thompkins, Dobson, Amendola, Hoomanawanui, Vereen, Bolden, Ridley, Cannon, Talib, Dennard, Gregory, etc.).  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

-its not the lack of defensive stops that is most troubling, it is the fact that the turnovers are no longer part of the D

-Solder injury is troubling. 

-not sure why Vereen was so quiet?

-I thoght Brady was "on" all game. He was precise unless he was under pressure. Otherwise he was very good

-unofficially I counted 6 drops

-Fletcher was exposed today as a boderline NFL player. i applaud his effort and desire

-Siligea could be a find. Soapogo has disappeared, just like the Philly guys said

-count me as one who thought Ridley ran very well and confidently

-lets not forget this was Boyces 2nd game. 

-I thought Wendell played well today

-I counted 5 Brady pressures where the defender was free to rush the passer

-Look forward to a usual Ravens battle

[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything here, rkarp.  Good points as always.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've had some time to calm down and give this some rational thought, here is what I think. Hightower is a fat worthless tub of goo...he is a pig. If I went out front of my house on Wednesday and called the garbage men a bunch of scum, they would have a better chance of catching me and beating me to a pulp than Hightower would. This clown was suppossed to be better outside - it's all I heard - how he was the poor victim playing inside...how did you like him outside at the end of the game?

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!  Tell us what you really think, mthurl.  Funny stuff.  Sad but true.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In [/QUOTE]

I've never agreed with Rusty that BB is basically infallible as a GM, but I think without the injuries this year's team would be a championship calibre one, so I don't think team make-up is really the issue.  Are there things that could have been done differently to create more depth or more quality at certain positions?  Probably.   But overall, the team was pretty strong before the injuries, so I wouldn't say team-building was a major issue.  Remember, the team has done a great job staying competitive even with the injuries, so even the depth wasn't that big a problem.  However, you can lose only so many top starters before it becomes a problem.  We've lost for the season two starting DTs, our best starting LB, our best TE (and best offensive weapon after Brady), and our starting RT.  On top of that, we've had multiple starting or key rotational players out with injuries for multi-game stretches (Thompkins, Dobson, Amendola, Hoomanawanui, Vereen, Bolden, Ridley, Cannon, Talib, Dennard, Gregory, etc.).  

[/QUOTE]

Exactly , so everyone stop looking f or a scape goat

just root on a bunch of guys who havent quit and have shown a lot of grit.

it is what it is

If they make a run great

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

-its not the lack of defensive stops that is most troubling, it is the fact that the turnovers are no longer part of the D

-I thoght Brady was "on" all game. He was precise unless he was under pressure. Otherwise he was very good

-Fletcher was exposed today as a boderline NFL player. i applaud his effort and desire

-Siligea could be a find. Soapogo has disappeared, just like the Philly guys said

[/QUOTE]

Hey rkarp...sorry to go off topic a bit but...was it you or tfb12 that had an interesting height observation a few months  ago about Dobson? I believe it was in a practice report you made in regard to Dobson only appearing to be 6'1 or so? I ask because in another thread it was discussed how bad we need a tall deep threat(which we do) I think it was after the Cleveland's game and comps were made with josh Gordon who appears to be substantially taller than Dobson. Yet both are listed at 6'3. Was it you and in your opinion is he "tall" enough to be our big down field weapon?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Fletcherbrook's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey rkarp...sorry to go off topic a bit but...was it you or tfb12 that had an interesting height observation a few months  ago about Dobson? I believe it was in a practice report you made in regard to Dobson only appearing to be 6'1 or so? I ask because in another thread it was discussed how bad we need a tall deep threat(which we do) I think it was after the Cleveland's game and comps were made with josh Gordon who appears to be substantially taller than Dobson. Yet both are listed at 6'3. Was it you and in your opinion is he "tall" enough to be our big down field weapon?

[/QUOTE]

Must have been rkarp. I don't recall making any type of comment concerning Dobson/Gordon.  Matter of fact I have not discussed Gordon on here at all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was me at the beginning of the season saying I thought Dobson was more closer to 6'2. I was wrong. He is a legit 6'3" and I was also wrong about KT being faster as I have since seen the wheels on this guy. We are def. missing him bigtime. Two of the four passes to endzone would have been to him IMO

recently though, I have not made a comment regarding Gordon. Just pointed out to rusty that our lack of height would be the biggest issue with losing Gronk until Dobson returns which looks slim now

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

My observations are these.  At the beginning of the season I felt that the starters on defense had to stay healthy.  No depth.  Only the LB spot had any kind of depth.  DT was a big concern and was discussed during pre-season.  Had a little back and forth with TexasPat on it.  Of course Dennard and Talib would have to stay healthy too.  Well, it fell apart and now the defense is in trouble.  I can't see us going far in the playoffs with this defense at all.  Hope I'm wrong but you've got to make plays down the stretch and it doesn't happen with this group.  I guess that's why we call them 2nd and 3rd stringers.

On offense Gronk is truly missed.  The offensive line struggled and that's being kind.  I'm surprised the Pats ran as well as they did.  Pass protection was non-exsistant to which added to the problems the Pats had in the red zone at the end of the game.  Two reads max and then you're on your azz.  Sometimes not even that.  One of the best games I've ever seen by Brady.  

In closing and not one to even bother entertaining Rusty he should have never posted without watching the game.  Sometimes I agree, sometimes not but this was pure rubbish.

I also see posts about WR height.  It wouldn't have made a difference from what I could tell.  Brady had to get rid of the ball so quickly there wasn't time for any kind of a jump ball.  It would be more of a physical fight than anything and you don't have to be tall to do that.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

It's very strange to see the Pats play so poorly with so much on the line. The secondary is terrible except for McCourty and Talib. The linebackers are horrible against the pass (Hightower) and without Wilfork/Kelly/Mayo we can't stop the run.

The four sacks only fog the truth in that our pass rush is also horrible. The rest of the dropbacks for Tannehill gave him plenty of time to shread the secondary to march down the field at will. Blitzes, rare as they are with a BB defense are executed poorly, everytime I see one it's picked up with little effort of trying to avoid the blocker. So....no pass rush and a poor secondary will give you a loss evrytime.

The offensive line I thought played well compared to late. They did have the occassional brain cramp and leave someone alone (crucial 3rd and goal) but overall not bad. Josh didn't want to run so no grade for the run. Brady was jekyl and hyde. Looked razor sharp across the middle but threw to blanketed backs on several attempts out of the backfield and also isn't surveying the field like the Tom of old.

Overall record to this point, ahead of where I throught they'd be. Overall performance to this point, exactly where I thought they'd be, difference, other teams have seriously helped by falling apart late in games.

Superbowl Forecast..........Grimm

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've pointed this out many times.  End of first half, D gives up an 82 yard TD drive to the Phins in less than 2 minutes.  End of the game, gives up 60 yard TD (Dolphins probably would have made it if they had to go 80) drive in less than 3 minutes.  In BOTH cases had the Dolphins in a 3rd and 10+ yard situation and couldn't make the stop.  At what time should we feel the D needs to step up for once and make a critical stop to win the game?  It can't be about the offense ALWAYS bailing out the D.

[/QUOTE]

That is because the O is better (relative to the opponent) than the D.   It is going to be like this until the D can get better either with scheme or personnel changes. 

Start with scheme...  where was the pressure that got to Tanahill in the first game ?   Had to expect adjustments by Fins of course but the corner blitz worked on the one time they ran it.  Got a Sack...   Did you see that blitz on those crucial drives? No...not enough balls I guess with whoever calls those plays.

[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head coolade. They HAVE pressure schemes. We see them all preseason but during clutch situations in big games you never see it. I was so mad watching SB 42 and seeing Brady run for his life while Eli was able to sit back and find his 3rd WR on his progression time after time. 2 weeks to prepare and all BB and Dean Peas could come up with was a Slot CB blitz by Meriweather that kept getting stoned by Jacobs. Why nothing else? One blitz you practiced in 2 weeks?  Its the same thing now. You will never see Matty P do that because he is NOT self made like Romeo he is a YEs man and BB can hide behide them and just say "we gotta coach it better"

Thats old and tired now. Bring SOME PRESSURE!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was me at the beginning of the season saying I thought Dobson was more closer to 6'2. I was wrong. He is a legit 6'3" and I was also wrong about KT being faster as I have since seen the wheels on this guy. We are def. missing him bigtime. Two of the four passes to endzone would have been to him IMO

recently though, I have not made a comment regarding Gordon. Just pointed out to rusty that our lack of height would be the biggest issue with losing Gronk until Dobson returns which looks slim now

[/QUOTE]

Got ya buddy. Thanks. Just curious about his true size. Gordon just looked like a freakin beast! 

will be great to have him back...next season?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Got ya buddy. Thanks. Just curious about his true size. Gordon just looked like a freakin beast! 

[/QUOTE]

BUST-CHISE rubbin up aqgaint the "I hate Rusty" crew...LMFAO!!!!

[/QUOTE]

good evening Harvey. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BUST-CHISE rubbin up aqgaint the "I hate Rusty" crew...LMFAO!!!!

[/QUOTE]

good evening Harvey. 

[/QUOTE]

Priceless...PROVE IT....lmfao!!!

[/QUOTE]

lets just say a little birdie told me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head coolade. They HAVE pressure schemes. We see them all preseason but during clutch situations in big games you never see it. I was so mad watching SB 42 and seeing Brady run for his life while Eli was able to sit back and find his 3rd WR on his progression time after time. 2 weeks to prepare and all BB and Dean Peas could come up with was a Slot CB blitz by Meriweather that kept getting stoned by Jacobs. Why nothing else? One blitz you practiced in 2 weeks?  Its the same thing now. You will never see Matty P do that because he is NOT self made like Romeo he is a YEs man and BB can hide behide them and just say "we gotta coach it better"

Thats old and tired now. Bring SOME PRESSURE!

[/QUOTE]

What was the take -away from the first Miami game...?   Bad first half great second half which was a combination of the Offense getting going but the defense also bringing their pressure to get the momentum going in the Patriots favor.  They came back from the beatdown they had in the first half using complimentary football.  It's about both sides getting it together and like the Red Sox winning their championship doing it for the other guys on the team.  pick up the defense since you know they are putting it out there and vice versa the defense holding the fort when the offense gives the team a lead. 

In this game the offense carried it and the defense shut them out ...   until the defense gives up the bad TD to Wallace.  Big team let down right there.  Missed play,  bad play . Embarrassing for a Belichick team.   TACKLE...right...?    Leading to bad offense when really the offense needed to pick it up and maintain the momentum... and bang you get a missed FG.

This was strike 2...  after D strike 1.  Special Teams mistake...  And missed FGs are killer the longer they are.   Miami takes over at the 38 yard line.  It's like a turnover.   It got away ...  This game set up as a tough test and it didnt come out well but there was stuff to build on going forward, so all is not lost. 

Sections
Shortcuts