Game observations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Game observations

-these "weather games" are killer. Even dressed for a weather event like last night, it is impossible to stay dry. I like to get into my seat on the early side and watch the players, but last night the down pour was so bad prior to the game, I could not, nor did anyone else. Seats were empty 5 minutes before KO. I don't think I have ever seen that before

-no surprise here that branch was inactive. I am checking, but I bet he came home on Thursday after practice

-Ghost did a nice job, but this is no time to try and get by back there. Have to assume some one is here on Tuesday

-not sure why TB was holding and not Mallett? I am 100% certain in camp, watching the FG team Mallett was practicing a little bit with them. Never saw TB with them however

-everyone is nicked up, bruised and has an owchie. This is no excuse time. Arrington simply did not get it done last night

-I have not watched a replay yet, and Mathis might have done something, but Cannon had the upper hand.

-OL certainly had their way with the Colts, and I do believe they can with either the bronc's or Chargers as well. The past few games played by the OL still do not dissuade me from thinking OL very early in the draft however

-BB played the Ridley rebuild perfectly. 

-I don't care what the score or the stats say about the game last night, Luck is, and will be great. What a talent!

-I don't care what the score or the stats say about the game last night, Brady was masterful. Totally in control.

-nice to see Amendola play really well

-I was working yesterday while Spikes-gate unfolded. Truthfully, I am shocked. Never heard a single peep about Spikes missing any time, or rocking the boat. I thought, and many, many corroborated that Spikes answered the bell every week this year and BB was pleased. Goes to show no one knows what really happens behind those locked doors.

-regardless of how much Collins has flashed, Hightower shows, and mayo heALS, Team needs more than Fletch and Beuaharnis next season, and we have to  assume this is an area of need as the draft unfolds. 

-love the effort, elusiveness and never say die attitude, but I still prefer to not have Edelman return punts. His style of play and history says too risky

-got my wife's ok last night, If next week is in Denver, I will be there. I have never seen a game in Denver, and probably never will again. can't think of a better game then next weeks to be my first and only time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Game observations

Quality breakdown.

Thanks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Quality breakdown.

Thanks.

Agree.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Great breakdown. 

Spikes issue started with the OTA's this spring.  He decided to work out on his own instead of with the team.  BB is not going to have a distraction at this time of year.

I think OL, DL, TE and linebacker will be a concentration in the draft. 

The defense should get lots of credit this year.  Mostly first and second year players playing well.

Great drafts the last couple of years.  Jones, Hightower, Ryan, Collins, Harmon, Dennard, etc are great building blocks for the future.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

-these "weather games" are killer. Even dressed for a weather event like last night, it is impossible to stay dry. I like to get into my seat on the early side and watch the players, but last night the down pour was so bad prior to the game, I could not, nor did anyone else. Seats were empty 5 minutes before KO. I don't think I have ever seen that before

-no surprise here that branch was inactive. I am checking, but I bet he came home on Thursday after practice

-Ghost did a nice job, but this is no time to try and get by back there. Have to assume some one is here on Tuesday

-not sure why TB was holding and not Mallett? I am 100% certain in camp, watching the FG team Mallett was practicing a little bit with them. Never saw TB with them however

-everyone is nicked up, bruised and has an owchie. This is no excuse time. Arrington simply did not get it done last night

-I have not watched a replay yet, and Mathis might have done something, but Cannon had the upper hand.

-OL certainly had their way with the Colts, and I do believe they can with either the bronc's or Chargers as well. The past few games played by the OL still do not dissuade me from thinking OL very early in the draft however

-I don't care what the score or the stats say about the game last night, Luck is, and will be great. What a talent!

-I don't care what the score or the stats say about the game last night, Brady was masterful. Totally in control.

-I was working yesterday while Spikes-gate unfolded. Truthfully, I am shocked. Never heard a single peep about Spikes missing any time, or rocking the boat. I thought, and many, many corroborated that Spikes answered the bell every week this year and BB was pleased. Goes to show no one knows what really happens behind those locked doors.

-regardless of how much Collins has flashed, Hightower shows, and mayo heALS, Team needs more than Fletch and Beuaharnis next season, and we have to  assume this is an area of need as the draft unfolds. 

-love the effort, elusiveness and never say die attitude, but I still prefer to not have Edelman return punts. His style of play and history says too risky

-got my wife's ok last night, If next week is in Denver, I will be there. I have never seen a game in Denver, and probably never will again. can't think of a better game then next weeks to be my first and only time.

Great observations!

I would like to add to your offensive line observation,  the fact that they did not give up on the run and how the offensive line, TE's, and fullback Develin did an outstanding job of run blocking. ESPN showed highlights and showed how the holes were formed by this unit on many of the runs. On one run Cannon ended up chipping one D linemen and then going to another opening a huge hole. Can't wait to hear the comments from the coaches film.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

Biggest thing was an early takeaway w/ Dennards INT, notice there were no fumbles by the Patriots in this rain - unlike the Buffalo game?  The latter is HUGE.

And even though statistically, Brady didn't have a HOF kind of game - he still outplayed Luck, made some key passes when needed, had ZERO INTs, and managed the game like we need for him to. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Inokea4coolaid's comment:

Biggest thing was an early takeaway w/ Dennards INT, notice there were no fumbles by the Patriots in this rain - unlike the Buffalo game?  The latter is HUGE.

And even though statistically, Brady didn't have a HOF kind of game - he still outplayed Luck, made some key passes when needed, had ZERO INTs, and managed the game like we need for him to. 

I agree with your comment. The defense gave the team an arly edge, allowing the offense to find a rythm to run. Also, the OL came out and controled the LOS, allowing the PAts to dictate how they wanted to play. I thought EVERY time the Colts tried to stack the box and stop te run, TB would then hit Amendola on a deep route or Edelmanon a crossing route. TBanswered everthing the Colts threw at him, completely keeping them off balance on defense.

I will say however with utmost certainty, when Luck had that 3 play TD drive,no one in that stadium was feeling good tat the defense would stop the Colts. The Colts were fired up and the wind was taken out of the Pats sail. The Blount long TD run came on a TB audible once he sawthe safety heating up tight on the LOS...Blount had to break thru the LOS and once he got past the 2nd level of traffic, there was no one ther for the COlts. Masterul job by TB that simply doesnt show up in the statistics.

Thanks TB  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

A lot to love about this team.     Like how all the guys that are getting their opportunity to play in the biggest games have so far come through...  bigtime.   Coaches like Scarnecchia and pepper johnson deserve a lot of credit.  What a great team effort.  Gotta love it...!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

That pick Collins had reminded me of the linebackers we used to have...smart guys that knew what type of depth they needed in their drops. He was perfect on that play.

I like our running game, but if we are going to beat Denver and win a Super Bowl we will need more than Amendola and Edelman. I was disappointed Bareen dropped that pass...then he got a hand on another one and failed to rip it in. If you are a pass catching back you need to make those plays...we don't have that type of margin for error anymore.

I thought Nink was very very solid last night. I thought jones got held all night, but if you're going to bull rush a tackle all night long you can't allow yourself to get engulfed into his body like he did last night...I've never seen him not use his hands and arms like that.

Collins will surprise teams right now with his pass rush. His explosiveness is special. I thought they sent more rushers last night that I've ever seen them do before.

I though Dennard played lights out, but we all knew he was going to do that...Talib was ok. I thought McCourty had some bad plays and one good one (so I guess that is better than we used to get out of the safety spot). I thought Gregory was good.

I know Indy can rush, but I was surprised they pressured that well with our run game going like that. It looked like Connolly had a rough night.

Brady was very good. He avoided the rush. He bought time...he saved us field position by doing this and extended drives. He was accurate and it was windy last night. There was a throw to Amendola early that couldn't of been made by 99% of the quarterbacks in the NFL. He made another to his right late that was a bullet. Luck played well too, although two of those picks were on him. You can't do that. Brady didn't.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

In response to Inokea4coolaid's comment:

I agree with your comment. The defense gave the team an arly edge, allowing the offense to find a rythm to run. Also, the OL came out and controled the LOS, allowing the PAts to dictate how they wanted to play. I thought EVERY time the Colts tried to stack the box and stop te run, TB would then hit Amendola on a deep route or Edelmanon a crossing route. TBanswered everthing the Colts threw at him, completely keeping them off balance on defense.

I will say however with utmost certainty, when Luck had that 3 play TD drive,no one in that stadium was feeling good tat the defense would stop the Colts. The Colts were fired up and the wind was taken out of the Pats sail. The Blount long TD run came on a TB audible once he sawthe safety heating up tight on the LOS...Blount had to break thru the LOS and once he got past the 2nd level of traffic, there was no one ther for the COlts. Masterul job by TB that simply doesnt show up in the statistics.

Thanks TB  

The secondary has a few problems w/ the long ball. Gregory has to go next year and need to add some depth; find someone better than Arrington; if possible.  The secondary did have a good INT early and late in the game.  Hightower's was luck - him just being in the right place at the right time.

On the other hand, give Luck some credit here. He's a pretty good quarterback - made some fantastic passes. If he reduces some mental mistakes in the playoffs (INTs) - outcome may have been different. He/Colts will be a force to reckon with in the future.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

That pick Collins had reminded me of the linebackers we used to have...smart guys that knew what type of depth they needed in their drops. He was perfect on that play.

Collins will surprise teams right now with his pass rush. His explosiveness is special. I thought they sent more rushers last night that I've ever seen them do before.

I though Dennard played lights out, but we all knew he was going to do that...Talib was ok. I thought McCourty had some bad plays and one good one (so I guess that is better than we used to get out of the safety spot). I thought Gregory was good.

No doubt that Collins played lights out, but one game does not make him a star.  The Chargers and Broncos will take notice and adjust accordingly.  Don't be surprised if Collins appears to take a step backwards.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerLT. Show RogerLT's posts

Great post

But I love JE returning punts, the potential for a game changing big time play and even just changing field position far out way the few times he has muffed the ball or put it on the ground.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

Quality breakdown.

Thanks.

Agree.

You agree?  RKrap sucks.  He's "checking" to see if Branch got back to his house in Indy? Who cares? No one cares when Branch returned to his house. It's creepy that an adult would ask about that anyway. I can just see him poking around and people wondering why some creepy 50 something cares about if Branch got back to his house safely.

RKrap is more interested in telling the board that he is some inside info guy vs being accurate.

Arrington played a fine game.  Brazil did nothing. He was lucky that ball was deflected/short armed to Brazil, because it would have been picked.   That was the lone big catch that Brazil had on Arrington and it was because the ball changed direction in mid air. It was complete luck.  This is an example of "Arrington not getting it done"??? Really?  What does he need, a couple pick 6s to be considered "getting it done"?

Other than that, I saw nothing negative from Arrington. He had zero passes defended, which pretty much means he took out Brazil in coverage. Duh. Brazil only had 2 or 3 total catches.  That's all but shutting a very dangerous slot WR.

Also, what does this even mean here?

"BB played the Ridley rebuild perfectly. "

I mean, what does that even mean?  Ridley is Humpty Dumpty and had to be rebuit?

Keep in mind, RKrap has whined and moaned about BB in here for years, and I am the one who has taken him on reminding him of BB's nice draft yields since 2010 and small, but wise FA moves in conjunction with that, as he tried to deflect from crappy Brady postseasns in the shotgun spread base.

I've been all over this stuff, nailing it cold, and this guy has been praising the Jets at the same time. What a phony as he tries to get on the bandwagon now, as he sees what I kept saying, is now unfolding.

You're way too smart to be following this tool around like a puppy dog, ATJ. RKrap is a frontrunner fan.

He's all pleasant when they dominate and when Brady's shotgun spread preference chokes away playoff games or SBs, he runs in to mock BB, the greatest GM who ever lived.

BWAHAHAHA.  What a total Moron.  OMG

Want to know why Arrington had no pass defended (other than his superb coverage skills)

Here's why DOPE!

Down
    Danny Aiken -- Snapper fires a delivery over the head of punter Ryan Allen in the second quarter that results in a safety.

Kyle Arrington -- Nickel cornerback is replaced by rookie Logan Ryan near the end of the second quarter after having some struggles in the slot.

Devin McCourty -- As the last line of defense, second-team All-Pro safety lets LaVon Brazill get behind him for a 35-yard touchdown.

Your jealousy of Rkarp is delicious, though.  Do you have a recipe for that?

Now hurry to the nearest MHMR and get your head shrunk.

BWAHAHAHA  WOW!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Good post rfarp!

Brady was brilliant leading the team last night.

OLine was outstanding!  Allowed a few pressures on Brady but wow, what a game by the Oline!

Blount should have had 5 or 6 td's last night, what a complete beast he has turned out to be.  He played 26 snaps and ran the ball 24 of them.  I can't wait to watch him next game against either the Broncos or Chargers.

Collins was a complete stud last night on defense.

Arrington once again disappointed. 

Gregory was also bad.

I would have liked to see more pressure on Luck, there were several times the Pats got close but wasn't able to get to him.  Luck is a big, strong QB in the pocket and will stay in the pocket regardless of pressure. Reminds me of Roethlisburger in that sense.  He will be very good if he can eliminate the mistakes.

What a great game.  Not really concerned with either Broncos or Chargers but the NFC will be tough to win against with a game like last night.  I do not like the Pats receiver situation right now against a 49'ers or Seahawks team that will be able to stop the Pats run game.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Quality breakdown.

Thanks.

Agree.

You agree?  RKrap sucks.  He's "checking" to see if Branch got back to his house in Indy? Who cares? No one cares when Branch returned to his house. It's creepy that an adult would ask about that anyway. I can just see him poking around and people wondering why some creepy 50 something cares about if Branch got back to his house safely.

RKrap is more interested in telling the board that he is some inside info guy vs being accurate.

Arrington played a fine game.  Brazil did nothing. He was lucky that ball was deflected/short armed to Brazil, because it would have been picked.   That was the lone big catch that Brazil had on Arrington and it was because the ball changed direction in mid air. It was complete luck.  This is an example of "Arrington not getting it done"??? Really?  What does he need, a couple pick 6s to be considered "getting it done"?

Other than that, I saw nothing negative from Arrington. He had zero passes defended, which pretty much means he took out Brazil in coverage. Duh. Brazil only had 2 or 3 total catches.  That's all but shutting a very dangerous slot WR.

I mean, what does that even mean?  Ridley is Humpty Dumpty and had to be rebuit?

Keep in mind, RKrap has whined and moaned about BB in here for years, and I am the one who has taken him on reminding him of BB's nice draft yields since 2010 and small, but wise FA moves in conjunction with that, as he tried to deflect from crappy Brady postseasns in the shotgun spread base.

I've been all over this stuff, nailing it cold, and this guy has been praising the Jets at the same time. What a phony as he tries to get on the bandwagon now, as he sees what I kept saying, is now unfolding.

You're way too smart to be following this tool around like a puppy dog, ATJ. RKrap is a frontrunner fan.

He's all pleasant when they dominate and when Brady's shotgun spread preference chokes away playoff games or SBs, he runs in to mock BB, the greatest GM who ever lived.

Want to know why Arrington had no pass defended (other than his superb coverage skills)

Here's why DOPE!

Down
    Danny Aiken -- Snapper fires a delivery over the head of punter Ryan Allen in the second quarter that results in a safety.

Kyle Arrington -- Nickel cornerback is replaced by rookie Logan Ryan near the end of the second quarter after having some struggles in the slot.

Devin McCourty -- As the last line of defense, second-team All-Pro safety lets LaVon Brazill get behind him for a 35-yard touchdown.

BWAHAHAHA  WOW!

What "struggles"?  What are the struggles? He doesn't even name the struggle. lol

No offense to MIke Reiss, but he's done this before we here just assumes another player getting playing time means the player isn't playing well, where it might be match up specific or an injury.

I don't really care if Ryan or Arrington is playing most of the snaps, but I;ve seen injuries also limit players, where the next guy up comes in.  The fact is, it's a luxury that BB has been so good as a GM that if someone gets hurt during the game or if there is a matchup aspect they prefer, he can use another player who isn't a laibility.

We've seen that with Harmon this year, too. 

But, to sit there and say "he was struggling" is pathetic. He wasn't. The one slow motion, short armed pass completion is not Arrington's fault. He was in perfect position. Luck got lucky, plain and simple.

While watching the game live it's hard to focus on a particular player but I saw Arrington get beaten twice in the slot so maybe Reiss is on to something.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Quality breakdown.

Thanks.

Agree.

Here's why DOPE!

Down

BWAHAHAHA  WOW!

What "struggles"?  What are the struggles? He doesn't even name the struggle. lol

No offense to MIke Reiss, but he's done this before we here just assumes another player getting playing time means the player isn't playing well, where it might be match up specific or an injury.

I don't really care if Ryan or Arrington is playing most of the snaps, but I;ve seen injuries also limit players, where the next guy up comes in.  The fact is, it's a luxury that BB has been so good as a GM that if someone gets hurt during the game or if there is a matchup aspect they prefer, he can use another player who isn't a laibility.

We've seen that with Harmon this year, too. 

But, to sit there and say "he was struggling" is pathetic. He wasn't. The one slow motion, short armed pass completion is not Arrington's fault. He was in perfect position. Luck got lucky, plain and simple.

Obviously BB disagrees because he pulled his azz.  Or maybe he just missed a meeting last week  LOL

Stick to online solitaire. Ignoramus!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Good post rfarp!

Brady was brilliant leading the team last night.

OLine was outstanding!  Allowed a few pressures on Brady but wow, what a game by the Oline!

Blount should have had 5 or 6 td's last night, what a complete beast he has turned out to be.  He played 26 snaps and ran the ball 24 of them.  I can't wait to watch him next game against either the Broncos or Chargers.

Collins was a complete stud last night on defense.

Arrington once again disappointed. 

Gregory was also bad.

I would have liked to see more pressure on Luck, there were several times the Pats got close but wasn't able to get to him.  Luck is a big, strong QB in the pocket and will stay in the pocket regardless of pressure. Reminds me of Roethlisburger in that sense.  He will be very good if he can eliminate the mistakes.

What a great game.  Not really concerned with either Broncos or Chargers but the NFC will be tough to win against with a game like last night.  I do not like the Pats receiver situation right now against a 49'ers or Seahawks team that will be able to stop the Pats run game.

Big time concern of mine too. Pats apparently holding out hope that Dobson can return at some point otherwise he would of been IR'ed IMO.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

LOL at Rusty still defending Arrington even after Arrington goes out and proves him wrong. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

They both played well, considering. New England was all over Luck, and without a lead, ever, he was pretty much forced to throw. 

Brady was excellent, some passes, like those two "wheel routes" just don't happen in bad weather. 

Which brings up the final point: rain and wind makes it hard for QBs to complete more than 50% of their passes. It takes away too many options. The ball is too heavy to drive in on short passes, and it's too windy for touch passes. Ironically, the mide-deep passes they can get behind and drive (the PA pass to DA, or Luck's deep strike to Brazill) still work fairly well.  

And neither Qb was protected very well (5 sacks and 14 QB hits between the two teams) to boot. 

You just need to throw out the stats on "ugly" games like this. 

You also need to appreciate how New England wins in ugly conditions like this too: the cold windy game against San Diego a few years back comes to mind wehn both QBs, in career type years, combined for five picks.  

You have to throw out stats on this one.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

anyone whoo thinks Arrington is better than Logan Ryan right now doesn't have a mind.

Arrington has shown flashes of being one of the better nickel guys but he can't do it consistently. and some games, like last night... he broke down.

and good post and obs. RKarp

Sections
Shortcuts