Game Plan vs. Jets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Game Plan vs. Jets

I'd like to think the game plan is pretty simple against the Jets.

I'd look for the defense to force Sanchez to think fast while controlling the line of scrimmage. I can only see the Pats dropping back in passing situations, with a heavy emphasis on pressure and underneath routes (RB Washington and TE Keller, or the slot receiver if the Jets keep Keller in max protect).  It's important for the pressure to get Sanchez before he has time to look downfield because the Jets do have burners (Cotchery caught a jump ball, landed on top of two defenders, and managed to score last year, and I saw one article that mentioned David Clowney as a run-down-the-field-fast kind of guy).  I'm liking this new, more aggressive Merriweather, and I think he'll play a big role in trying to shut down Keller.

I think IT'S IMPERATIVE FOR THE OFFENSE TO SCORE EARLY AND OFTEN. The further the Patriots go up, the more they'll force the Jets to air it out when they'd rather run a smash-mouth, ball-control offense.  Take away the run and the underneath stuff at first, then force them into being one-dimensional in the dimension in which they're weaker (I don't think the Jets don't have the experienced quarterback or receivers to come back from being down big).

Revis (and to some extent Rhodes) will determine where you try not to go on offense.  If Revis is stuck to Moss, I'd try to leave Moss split out very wide by himself on Rhodes' side and try my luck with the other side of the defense (with Revis and Rhodes both occupied with Moss).  I also think Moss has the skills to still be a factor with Revis on him, like he was against Asomugha last year in Oakland.  The problem the Jets will face is the fact that the Patriots have three starting-quality receivers, and I think Galloway will have to play a big role and make the defense pay for focusing on Welker and Moss.  Watson and/or Baker may be forced to help pick up blitzes.  I don't really worry about the offense like I worry about the defense, though.  There's too much talent on offense to fail unless the blocking breaks down.

As Brady said, it all comes down to execution.  You know game-planning (the cheap talk) is straightforward when I can come up with it.  It's on the players to make it happen.

Lastly, I'd be wary of the Jets trying trick plays.  They seem like a team desperate enough to try anything to win.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Game Plan vs. Jets

Good post. I think the Pats need to focus on all three phases of the ball. Offense, defense, and special teams. 

On offense: 

The O-line:

The O-line has to protect Brady like they did in the fouth quarter. If I was Belichick, I would run the 60/70 boys(The O-line wears 60 and 70) for a lap around the field while they chant, 'I will protect the Quarterback' for everytime the franchise hits the floor. Chris Jenkins owned the Texans' center on sunday, I'm hoping Koppen will put up a formidable challenge against him. They have to open up some room for Fred Taylor to run through. 72 yards from 4 RBs is dreadful. We can't even blame Maroney for the lack of a running game. 

RBs:

They have to produce. The best RB on monday was Kevin Faulk, and he wasn't running. I don' want an Adrian Peterson-like performance from all four but they should atleast average 155 yards. 

TEs: 

Watson played to his potential on monday. If he plays like that on sunday the Pats will force the Jets away from the Blitz and back to man. 

WR: 

Moss and Welker played like Moss and Welker. I won't be surprised that if Edelman plays that they will use him in a lateral down field. Galloway won't get any attention which will leave him for a 2007 Brady-to-Moss pass for 60 yards.

QB:  

He has to play like fourth quarter Brady instead of the 3/4 of the game QB. We need a to be a dual offense against a team like the Jets. 

Defense. 

D-Line: 

Wilfork and the boys have to punch Sanchez in his balls. In the Jets' preseason game against the Ravens, when the Chaos got to Sanchez he looked like a dear in headlights. He became petrified. You hit him once and the swag goes away.
    The DL has to stop the run on the line like they did in the preseason. I know Richard "I" Seymour "sacks on Philip Rivers" is gone but Bill thought they could produce without him so they should prove him right.   

LBs: 

I think Guyton will perform better than he did on monday. He will be more comfortable playing there. He matches up well against (4.42) Leon Washingon because he runs a 40 in (4.45). Adalius looks like he might have a great season this year with 1 sack already to his name. TBC already has half as many sacks as Vrabel had all last season and if he can get two more Sanchez will be out of it. Derrick has to help TBC, they could be a great pass rush duo if they play hard. 

CBs: 

They did well against T.O. and Lee Evans but they can relax this game. The Jets don't have a reciever of that magnitude on their roster. I know Wilhite can guard Cotchery by himself and Bodden can guard the left quite well. 

Sty: 

Without a real threat on the Jets' recieving corps this probably means Bill will let Meriweather roam free. He should help stop the run and even get a good hit on Sanchez. He proved that he has the vehemence to go out there and make plays with that strip he had on Mackenzie. 

K: 

Gostkowski missing a FG was a real shock for me. My first questions were, Is he injured? Was it the holders fault? We need his boot. I hope that was the first and last of the season for him. 

KR: 

Why did we sign Lockett if Faulk is going to retun kicks? Use someone we don't need if they get hurt, Belichick. Don't use the best 3rd down back in the league. If he get's hurt it's game over. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Offense:
    I want the pats to come out and use no huddle... This will tire out the jets D line, especially Jenkins... Then the pass rush will settle down...
    So start off with no huddle, short passes, mayb draws and screens. Then once the pressure slows down, start hitting them for bigger plays.

Defense:
    I think the pats will b fine on D. Load up the box and stop Jones/Washington. I think our improved secondary is good enough to keep the WR's in check especially with a rookie QB getting his first look at the pats D. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Game Plan vs. Jets:
    Good post. I think the Pats need to focus on all three phases of the ball. Offense, defense, and special teams.  
    Posted by 49Patriots

With all due respect to the depth of your post, I'd like to think they do that every week...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Game Plan vs. Jets:
    In Response to Re: Game Plan vs. Jets : With all due respect to the depth of your post, I'd like to think they do that every week...
    Posted by NickC1188

I know, I was just breaking down what how I think they can win the game against the Jets. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from floodgate. Show floodgate's posts

Good posts.
    I also hope they use BenJarvis Green-Ellis. He could run right at one of the Jets' strengths, the D-line, and get some extra yards. Then follow that with some play-action from Brady.

Also, I wonder if they will use Matthews, the new TE, along with Baker to beef up the blocking.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

With all due respect, I think a lot of what you wrote was obvious stuff as opposed to things that are game-specific against the Jets.  I think it's pretty clear that Brady has to step up, just as it's clear that offensive line play is a priority.  I also completely disagree with a couple of your conjectures, which I highlight here:

"They have to produce. The best RB on monday was Kevin Faulk, and he wasn't running. I don' want an Adrian Peterson-like performance from all four but they should atleast average 155 yards."

I'm not really sure why you chose 155 yards... I think the running backs only have to run the ball well enough to keep the defense honest.  Their biggest job will be in blitz pickup and in dump-off / screen passes.  I think it'll also be important for them to make one defender miss in the open field, because there won't be many defenders back in coverage if the Jets blitz and there'll be a lot of real estate for them to get yards after the catch.

"Watson played to his potential on monday. If he plays like that on sunday the Pats will force the Jets away from the Blitz and back to man."

I don't think Ryan will stop blitzing at any point, so the Patriots will probably have to keep either Baker or Watson (or both) in pass pro to help against the overload blitzes.  In rare cases, I could see the tight end ejecting for a quick pass to the flats (while bumping an outside pass rusher on his way by), but I don't see tight ends playing a big role in the passing game this week.

Instead, I see two players playing a big role: Wes Welker (quick passes and chemistry with Brady) and Joey Galloway (making teams pay for rolling double and triple coverage over to Randy Moss' side.  I think anything the Patriots get from Moss would be a bonus, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets did everything they could to take away both Moss and Welker.

The linebackers' biggest job is stopping the run.  The defensive line will play a big role in keeping Jets' blockers off of Guyton so he can do his thing.  If there's one concern that I have about him, it's his size.  I remember he came in at about 225-235, and if the Jets get a body on him it could be trouble.

If Belichick's confident they can execute it, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some 3-4 (with Woods, Guyton, Thomas, and Ninkhovich/Banta-Cain) or some 2-5, or even some 2-4-5, and this would probably be in passing situations to confuse Sanchez and their bigger, but slower line.  Otherwise, I'd keep the beef up front on the field on first and second down (4-3) to stop the run.

Like I said, THE OFFENSE MUST SCORE EARLY AND OFTEN.  Force the Jets to keep pace with our offense.  Dictate the way the game is played.  If we go up by two or three scores, I highly doubt Sanchez can beat us and the Jets will be forced to abandon the run, which for them would be a HUGE problem (because their running game is significantly better than their passing game).

The big challenge will be figuring out blocking assignments under fire.  It'll be interesting to see if the Patriots try to spread the field anyway and have the linemen shift their blocking over to the side of the blitz (with minimal help from a TE chip and/or RB), or if they'll have to resort to keeping the TE and RB in pass pro.

Sections
Shortcuts