Gameplan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Re: Gameplan

Your thoughts? Just jotted these ones down as I was going through the matchups and injury reports.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Love the enthusiasm, but can't help but think that a few of these are misguided

You don't waste both of your most athletic center-fielders doubling Keller.  Chung alone might be enough, especially if Cunningham, Banta-Cain, Moore, and Ninkovich are all taking turns jamming him at the line of scrimmage.

I'm not sure what Cover 8 is, but I'm pretty certain it's a bad idea to play eight across in any situation at any depth, even at the goal-line.

Jerod Mayo is your rover - as the smartest player on your defense, you want him free to go where he suspects the play is, not attached to one player.  Use Gary Guyton and Dane Fletcher to follow L.T. around - they're both fast enough to get the job done.  Mayo can come in and lay a good hit on L.T. if he doesn't get down quickly enough when Guyton and Fletcher try to wrap him up.

It's not just about contain in the kick coverage game - directional kicks will be key to pinning them into corners where they can't cause as much harm before being forced out of bounds.  Even if they start on the 30-35 yard line, no big returns - make Sanchez drive the length of the field

Everything else sounds good.  I think Deadrick's suspension was a ruse and that he'll play a big role as a run-stopper this week...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The best Defense is a great offense! Gameplan ,score often and hold the Jets to a goose egg. I just thought I would simlify my version.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

If the Jests are weak at safety then you will see a 3 TE set and Gronk and Hernandez will have a huge day. 3 TE sets your setup to run and playaction to the TE's releasing. I think we put a burner in for either Revis or Cromartie and run their butts for the first half on go routes and double moves. It will either lul them to sleep or wear them out by the half.
    We have to stop the Jests run and make Snachez beat us with his arm or legs. We need to make them play from behind cause they always get away from the run game when their behind. Indy left the Jests in the game and it cost them. How many of you that watched the game thought, We could beat either of these teams. I don't think they made up that ground in a week. No one wants to play us. If we get an early lead it could break any hope of momentum.

The only thing that I think that could beat us is momentum.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

In Response to Re: Gameplan:
    [QUOTE]Love the enthusiasm, but can't help but think that a few of these are misguided You don't waste both of your most athletic center-fielders doubling Keller.  Chung alone might be enough, especially if Cunningham, Banta-Cain, Moore, and Ninkovich are all taking turns jamming him at the line of scrimmage. I'm not sure what Cover 8 is, but I'm pretty certain it's a bad idea to play eight across in any situation at any depth, even at the goal-line. Jerod Mayo is your rover - as the smartest player on your defense, you want him free to go where he suspects the play is, not attached to one player.  Use Gary Guyton and Dane Fletcher to follow L.T. around - they're both fast enough to get the job done.  Mayo can come in and lay a good hit on L.T. if he doesn't get down quickly enough when Guyton and Fletcher try to wrap him up. It's not just about contain in the kick coverage game - directional kicks will be key to pinning them into corners where they can't cause as much harm before being forced out of bounds.  Even if they start on the 30-35 yard line, no big returns - make Sanchez drive the length of the field Everything else sounds good.  I think Deadrick's suspension was a ruse and that he'll play a big role as a run-stopper this week...
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Well in order to appreciate the coverage strategies I put out there, you have to first understand the design of the coverages those players would be playing to. Cover 8; the eight represents the number of coverage responsibilities in that particular alignment. The number of responsibilities isn't indicative of the number of defensive backs on the field. Cover 8 is something we've seen plenty of this season with the Patriots, particularly with three safeties on the field at once. Here is a diagram that should explain itself pretty well:

Cover 7 is the one coverage I get more excited about when facing the Jets this weekend and Mark Sanchez. This coverage I chose for the gameplan because I figured the Patriots defensive personnel matches up well with the Jets personnel.

The jets like to do a lot of their damage with Dustin Keller in the game with at least two wide receivers and one of their two runningbacks. Think singleback with two wide and their athletic tight end Keller revolving with Jerricho Cotchery or Santonio Holmes in the slot; sometimes both in the game at the same time. In the diagram, KELLER is Y, COTCHERY is X, SANTONIO is Z, BRAYLON is F, and LADAINIAN is H. This is general and an example specific to player names but as the diagram says and as one would assume, there are variations and we know that those variations will happen. The WS generally being MERIWEATHER, the SS being JARRAD PAGE, the SAM LB being replaced by CHUNG, MAYO in the middle, and Guyton or Ninkovich as the WILL LB. Again, there is obvious substitutions available for each position, there are disguises, variations, combo coverages, ect. ect. Just know that the dotted lines represent the assignment for each player, and those reads represent one coverage responsibility in the play design. Seven possible coverage shells? Cover 7. It's not as flimsy or as neglectful to the running game as one may interpret it as upon first guess, although it is primarily meant to stop the pass completion first and foremost.

My description of the keys to the game may not have been as detailed as they could have been but they're just ideas and strategies to keep in mind as fans and to try to notice happening in Sunday's game if you get the chance to look for them. One strategy doesn't necessarily dictated the entire game, and so of course we'll see Mayo playing his tradition role as a rover. This should be stressed: traditional roles that we're accustom to seeing week in and week out won't all of a sudden be forgotten for this game; those roles are for those players because it puts them in the best possible position to succeed, that's why they earned those roles. My keys are merely the deviations or difference to the normal gameplan that I think we're likely to see tomorrow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

I agree with you completely by the way on the Deaderick and direction kicking points you brought up. Great points to keep in mind.

Sections
Shortcuts