Garoppolo Moving up from #3 to #2 ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

Garoppolo Moving up from #3 to #2 ?

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/howe-something-clicked-jimmy-garoppolo

After struggling mightily throughout the course of training camp, Jimmy Garoppolo figured something out and has been opening eyes all week.

Jeff Howe joined Arbella Early Edition to discuss Garoppolo's turnaround.

"Something clicked in that Redskins game, and he's been just as good all this week in practice," said Howe. "I don't think it's going to be [Friday] , but very soon, maybe next week, he's going to be the number two guy in one of these games. They owe it to themselves."

Is there a chance Garopollo can take the No. 2 spot away from Mallett?

"Belichick's not going to use a second round pick on a guy that isn't going to play a single snap if he doesn't truly believe in him," said Howe. "Belichick proved that he wants this guy on the team and wants him in a quality backup role."

=====================================================

If Jeff Howe is correct then Ryan Mallets days here are numbered since BB won't waste the roster spot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Garoppolo Moving up from #3 to #2 ?

this is exactly, exactly the essence of this forum...

half the board will comment on what a great GM BB is for stealing Garop in the draft ahead of numerous other teams, while half the board will comment on what a poor GM BB is for wasting a #3 on a guy that has never played, when Hoyer could have been kept for little money, while the team was falling so close to winning the SB.

different strokes for different folks

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

half the board will comment on what a great GM BB is for stealing Garop in the draft ahead of numerous other teams, while half the board will comment on what a poor GM BB is for wasting a #3 on a guy that has never played, when Hoyer could have been kept for little money, while the team was falling so close to winning the SB.

[object HTMLDivElement]

And here we are with 3 top talent level QBs. The GM sux.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Champ once again swings wildly to the extreme. We have one HOF QB, one rookie QB who shows intriguing potential (but certainly can't be called "top talent" after one preseason game), and one QB who after four seasons still looks like a borderline talent (though again hasn't been sufficiently tested).  There's nothing wrong with that, but please let's not say we have three "top talent level" QBs.  That's just absurd.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

On the main topic, I have to say I'm very optimistic about Garoppolo and am wondering if he saves us Mallet's roster spot after all.

I still think three QBs is most likely, but increasingly I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Mallet cut (or traded if anyone will give anything for him).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Champ once again swings wildly to the extreme. We have one HOF QB, one rookie QB who shows intriguing potential (but certainly can't be called "top talent" after one preseason game), and one QB who after four seasons still looks like a borderline talent (though again hasn't been sufficiently tested).  There's nothing wrong with that, but please let's not say we have three "top talent level" QBs.  That's just absurd.  

But it's more fun to say we have three 'top talent level' QBs. 

Seriously, I see your point and agree Mallett hasn't shown much but then again hasn't had much 'real' opportunity to do so.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

And I'm also encouraged at what we've seen (thus far) from Garoppolo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

I did say half....we see where you fall.

it is interesting though, right? team used a #3 on Mallett when Hoyer was a perfect back up. Mallett plays 4 snaps in 4 years

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

it is interesting though, right? team used a #3 on Mallett when Hoyer was a perfect back up. Mallett plays 4 snaps in 4 years

Well - Lets assume that  Garoppolo continues to play well througout the rest of camp and the other preseason games. If that were to be the case would you think BB would let Mallet go (assuming he can't trade him) and save the roster spot? And whatever relavant salary cap savings? Based on the limited # of snaps Mallet's gotten its difficult to substantiate that he can't play but he sures looks erratic everytime I have seen him.  I'm not convinced hes a better altenative to Garop at this point. Are you?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Actually, the majority of folks here understand that the GM makes mistakes as do all good GMs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Actually, the majority of folks here understand that the GM makes mistakes as do all good GMs.

I"m not even sure I'd say Mallet in the third round was a "mistake." He's a serviceable back-up/practice QB at a minimum, which maybe is all you can normally expect from a QB drafted in any round.  Starting quality guys are rare commodities.  Look at all the teams that try and fail in the first round... even right at the top of the draft.  Getting anybody who can play at all is an accomplishment. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Along the lines of what Pro wrote…If Mallett plays out his 4 years here as an insurance policy is that a mistake? He served the exact purpose he was drafted for… to back up a HOF QB. If he goes the year without playing a significant snap and leaves in Free Agency so be it. If that does happen then I don't think you can argue that he was a failed pick. Imagine if BB drafted an insignificant late round pick to back up TB and TB got hurt and the back up was a basket case who couldn't play… BB would be skewered here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I never have nor ever will say anything bad about picking up Mallett in the 3rd. He had a high talent level (even though I loved Hoyer) and at the time without a Brady extension it seemed like good insurance, of course he never really developed on that talent but that's a different story. At worst I thought we might get a better pick back if he developed and we flipped him. Now, if we lose Mallett for nothing, they knew they were targeting a QB in the draft, and they had trades available to get them a high 4th or better then I'll be disappointed they didn't trade the chip when they could. But, I won't say it was a bad pick by any means. 

Now Garp I was disappointed to hear they took him instead of a TE. Then after reading up on him I saw similar traits to Brady coming out (accuracy, smart with the ball, touch when needed) so I wanted to give him a chance, though the small school stuff had me a bit concerned. So far I'm perfectly happy with the pick as he looks the part. Sure he needs tuning but the base looks solid to build off of. The only reason I'd be disappointed with is if he doesn't continue to develop and TE continues to be an issue moving forward. Short of that you won't hear me complain about the Garp pick. Now not picking up a Chandler, Myers, or Daniels in FA that's a different story.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

really? I read it that many think he stinks, while many think he walks on water

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to stewart7557's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Well - Lets assume that  Garoppolo continues to play well througout the rest of camp and the other preseason games. If that were to be the case would you think BB would let Mallet go (assuming he can't trade him) and save the roster spot? And whatever relavant salary cap savings? Based on the limited # of snaps Mallet's gotten its difficult to substantiate that he can't play but he sures looks erratic everytime I have seen him.  I'm not convinced hes a better altenative to Garop at this point. Are you?

yes. I am convinced that Mallett is the better alternative, and I am convinced that Mallett will be the better NFL player, however for another team

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I"m not even sure I'd say Mallet in the third round was a "mistake." He's a serviceable back-up/practice QB at a minimum, which maybe is all you can normally expect from a QB drafted in any round.  Starting quality guys are rare commodities.  Look at all the teams that try and fail in the first round... even right at the top of the draft.  Getting anybody who can play at all is an accomplishment. 

Pro, to clarify, I am not saying Mallett was a mistake due to his not breaking out into a serviceable NFL player. My question was more to the side of the Pats having Hoyer and seemingly happy with him as the back up. He wasn't going to cost a lot of money. If the Pats had kept him and used that 3rd for a non QB......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think the majority have a more realistic opinion.  Most think BB is very good, just not infallible. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to stewart7557's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

yes. I am convinced that Mallett is the better alternative, and I am convinced that Mallett will be the better NFL player, however for another team

Too early to tell with Garoppolo, but I've never been that impressed with Mallet and really doubt he'll ever be a top NFL starter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I think the majority have a more realistic opinion.  Most think BB is very good, just not infallible. 

I think that is a very fair assessment

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Pro, to clarify, I am not saying Mallett was a mistake due to his not breaking out into a serviceable NFL player. My question was more to the side of the Pats having Hoyer and seemingly happy with him as the back up. He wasn't going to cost a lot of money. If the Pats had kept him and used that 3rd for a non QB......

That's a reasonable opinion. I think Hoyer is a good player.  I suspect, though, that the Pats thought Hoyer's upside was limited and felt it was worth taking the gamble that Mallet might have higher upside potential over the long term.   If they were convinced that Hoyer would never be a top starter, I could see them thinking it was smarter to stop investing in him and bring someone else in who might eventually prove to be better.    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

the best thing for JG is that he has shown something early. especially  after the bad TC reviews

and now he is geting good ones. will be interesting tonite for sure

Cannot see BB letting Mallet go, just cannot see it, but if he is it will be after the last PS game

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

From my perspective there a a couple (as in less than a handful) who thinks BB stinks as a GM, most feel he's very good but not infallible and just want him to learn from past mistakes and adjust clear weaknesses, then there are a few (more than the stink crowd but less than a dozen) who thinks he can do no wrong and any criticism is an attack that needs to be defended because they are "spoiled", "trolls", or aren't real fans. I'm fine with any of the above but have a discussion about it. Don't call people out because they have a differing opinion. No need for name calling, over the top sarcasm, and extreme examples just to toss mud around when you add nothing to the discussion. Sometimes it feels like a political campaign around here, try to win by discrediting the other person as much as possible without actually having a discussion on the issue at hand.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

....and some are simply tweaking the board Jester and his followers.

I said on draft day it was a good pick taking a QB in the 2nd round.  Kudos to BB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

I think that is a very fair assessment

As do I.

Sections
Shortcuts