Garoppolo. Pop goes my head like in scanners

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Garoppolo. Pop goes my head like in scanners

I don't think garolpolo was a bad pick...but why not use the 2nd on a position of need, and trade up your third with your 5th and 6th and grab garolpolo in the middle of the 3rd? 

Anyone think garapolo was on the texans radar? Would he have lasted til the mid third? 

I get why they chose him, just not where.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Before the draft BB was quoted as saying he is going into this draft with a roster pretty much already set.  Boy, what a bad comment and what's worse is he drafted like it.

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 1h
    I don't see many positions on the Patriots where a rookie is going to beat someone out. Not even Y TE with Gronk hurt. Apparently I'm nuts

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 2h
    The draft is not for now RT @jakethorndike: With a 2nd round pick?? these team could use pieces for NOW, what a waste

Any of the top 4 TE's would get significant playing time this coming season.

It's not just about this upcoming season

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:

Before the draft BB was quoted as saying he is going into this draft with a roster pretty much already set.  Boy, what a bad comment and what's worse is he drafted like it.

I don't see many positions on the Patriots where a rookie is going to beat someone out. Not even Y TE with Gronk hurt. Apparently I'm nuts

The draft is not for now RT @jakethorndike: With a 2nd round pick?? these team could use pieces for NOW, what a waste

But we still have holes for this coming season.  I don't see either Easly or Garappolo as a factor this season yet a TE position is a factor for this season.  Big chance Revis is a one year rental, go all in while he is here and Brady isn't another year older.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

In response to OlderbutWiser's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Doh  >.<  Hou got my TE. Wonder if we can trade Mallett for CJ? Kind of odd Hou took a guy Pats looked at heavier than anyone else and they are in talks with the Pats for Mallett.... late trade coming I hope?

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

That is what I am thinking, trade CJ for Mallet.  We need a good TE, can't believe we passed on all those good TE this draft.  CJ is the 4th best, I hope we at least get him.  Man, Amaro was right there in sight for us!?

Except CJ was drafted after NE selected their QB. 

Yeah, so?  Trade straight up.  Pats don't want Mallet, so they took their 2nd choice qb.  Had they taken CJ the texans would have taken Garoppolo.

Seems farfetched to me, but to each his own.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Yeah, because a team that just got b*tch slapped in the AFCCG needs a backup QBin the 2nd round more than anything else."

You forgot to add: bslapped by a team that was themselves bslapped by an even better team one game later.

This is a terrible pick on the surface (unless Brady goes down etc).

Would have been far better to draft a QB later in the draft.......

This is the Pats philosophy though, they want to win the division every year from here to eternity, rather than push to win Super Bowls in a short term timeframe.

Some fans in here love this approach (racking up division titles), but I don't like it whatsoever.

Still a chance to do some good things in this draft but I'm baffled by this pick at the moment. I reserve the right to say I was wrong but I fundamentally disagree with "thinking three years ahead" right now. They should be loading up for a big push.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"It's not just about this upcoming season"

It's not to BB but it is to most of us.

Revis probably will only be here for a year, Brady for maybe 2 at a pretty high level.

Draft a QB later in the draft, sure, but keep more focused on the present.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"His defense is also the best in the AFC on paper with Revis, Browner, Will Smith and even Chung returning."

Yeah Chung really puts us over the top.

On paper it looks good. But it's nowhere near the caliber of D on paper that the top NFC team in the Super Bowl will put out there.

But I forgot, you're not concerned with winning Super Bowls only with "sustained excellence".

As for Brady, we're all sick of you saying he's had enough weapons. He hasn't had enough weapons for years. Newsflash: he's older and not quite as effective. He can't just play the way he did before his year out. So you have to give him playmakers....granted if a few offensive guys can stay healthy he should have enough.

But he most certainly didn't have enough against the Broncos. If you think he did you are out of your mind.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Yeah, because a team that just got b*tch slapped in the AFCCG needs a backup QBin the 2nd round more than anything else.

Think about why that was though.  We had no interior rush, and Manning could pick apart our secondary once Talib went down.  With the return of Wilfork, Kelly, and Armstead, as well as the addition of Easley we should collapse that pocket much better allowing Nink and Jones more pressures and sacks.  Not to mention our secondary is much improved even when Talib was healthy, let alone when he was dinged up in the big games. 

We can all nay say this pick, but the truth is Mallet's expiration date is almost upon us, and we need an additional several years of understudy and insurance, to one day take the reigns in NE, or fill in if the horrible should happen again.  So yes, this pick doesn't pay dividends this year, but it was still necessary. 

And for those that think we need to draft elite talent to get over the hump, consider this.  Last year we made the AFC championship game with the greatest amount of walking wounded or IR I've ever seen.  And we are getting them all back this year.  Mayo, Wilfork, Kelly, Gronk, Vollmer.  Hell that's a draft of Probowlers right there. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The rest of the NFL must be clamoring for Mallet now, since, you know, the Pats think so highly of him they just used a 2nd round pick for a QB when they have so many holes filled with mediocrity to address. Makes perfect sense.

When Brady goes.... BB will become the laughing stock he was in Cleveland again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Well this has been fun, I bet in the third we'll select a kicker.

And not a long snapper??

I was going to write long snapper, but at the last second changed my mind, because there is the distinct possibility it could happen

I'm hoping for either a long snapper or a kicker b/c  Ghost is getting up in age. But hey maybe Belichick will surprise everyone and pick up another QB, just in case Garofolo doesn't work out. It amazes me how Belichick totally ignores the Brady window. BB should attend the Balke school of drafting, instead of continually and rigidly looking for value. But hey, Belichick is a genius beyond reproach. Brady's last 12 years  end up with zero rings.     

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I like Jimmy G as a development QB

Remember the year Mallett was drafted, the Pats kept 3 QB's and Mallett was listed #3 on the depth chart behind Hoyer

My issue with taking a development QB, is will the Pats develop that QB? They did not with Mallett. Will TB play 3 more years and retire, and will Jimmy G have ever seen the field in those 3 years?

I assume Mallett is kept this year, and Jimmy G does not take a single snap in a game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Brady is gone in 2 or even 1.....otherwise....this is a WTFATD pick...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

The rest of the NFL must be clamoring for Mallet now, since, you know, the Pats think so highly of him they just used a 2nd round pick for a QB when they have so many holes filled with mediocrity to address. Makes perfect sense.

Gee I sure hope they already had a deal in place for RM before this pick.

Because if not ... oh my ... their leverage just dropped through the basement.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Not sure who coined "Grapola" ....  But that's pretty funny.  Have a feeling that one might stick if the kid doesn't work out so well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Who did we draft Jeneane Garrofolo???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

But we still have holes for this coming season.  I don't see either Easly or Garappolo as a factor this season yet a TE position is a factor for this season.  Big chance Revis is a one year rental, go all in while he is here and Brady isn't another year older.

So, what position is a rookie going to come in and start at? TE, maybe. But if they sign Keller and if Gronk is back, how much impact will a rookie have? TE was one of the few positions in this draft that was weak, with little depth, so teams reached a bit for the few who were above average.

LB? Maybe, but how many rookie LBs have a major impact? 

And this is a "deep draft," right? Doesn't that mean they can get guys to fill needs today? If it doesn't mean that, what does it mean?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

I love the way Houston media is spinning this. On Sports Radio 610 Houston, GM Rick Smith flat denied there were any talks involving the Patriots. Pats dumped their 3rd round pick to Jax. Houston is still in play for a QB. Mallet to the Texans is gaining steam again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:

Going "all in" is just not the BB approach, hence the Pats have a good team and compete every year.  Do you really think BB is going to go all in and be left with bad contracts and no draft picks as Brady leaves?  He is trying to build the D and find Brady's replacement so the transition to Brady leaving is easier.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

So, what position is a rookie going to come in and start at? TE, maybe. But if they sign Keller and if Gronk is back, how much impact will a rookie have? TE was one of the few positions in this draft that was weak, with little depth, so teams reached a bit for the few who were above average.

LB? Maybe, but how many rookie LBs have a major impact? 

And this is a "deep draft," right? Doesn't that mean they can get guys to fill needs today? If it doesn't mean that, what does it mean?

Keller is coming off a bad knee injury, its a big gamble if he can stay healthy.  Remember Ballard, LMAO sadly.  Gronk is a big gamble to stay healthy.  Come on now, any of those top 5 TE's could be a huge impact on this Pats team..... day one.  Solid position for a player to come in and make an immediate impact.

The TE position was 5 deep this year, 5 very solid players who would be a major impact on this Patriots team on day 1.  That is what I mean!  I can not remember another draft where any of the top 5 TE's would have been a great fit in NE. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Garrapolo has to be better than Fiedorowicz + Savage  or fiedorowicz + McCarron.

Maybe - but I doubt it

Defense.  It is still important.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sw4288. Show sw4288's posts

I can totally understand the frustration here, but why are people surprised? This franchise is not run to cater to one player. I've never understood the theory that we have to get Tom Brady who he wants before he retires so he can win one more super bowl. If a director of player personnel ever said that in a scouting meeting they would be fired immediately. This is not how business is done. Bedard is totally right. This draft is not for now. The only one's I can see making an impact are the o-lineman and maybe Easely if healthy. I am certainly intruiged by Jeremy Gallon and if the DB we took is a special teams ace then great, that's awesome. To be successful year, after year, after year, you need to take risks, and you need to understand that it's not about your QB riding off into the sunset on a horse with his weirdo wife and 4th Lombardi trophy. Who knows what the pats see in Garopollo that we don't. I'm concerned about a lot of things. Small school being a major one; his 23-22 record at that small school, his strange release, his deep ball accuracy are definitely concerns. I am willing to trust the development of process of our coaching staff. They got Matt Cassel to play out his mind. His only other good season was with Charlie Weis. No coincidence. So I am willing to give this draft a chance, like all of them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sw4288. Show sw4288's posts

Also, Caserio said something interesting in his pre draft presser. Something along the lines of he feels that they could field a very competitive team without their draft picks. That really told me all I need to know about the direction they were going in this draft. I have no problem with it and I definitely trust their process.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to sw4288's comment:

I can totally understand the frustration here, but why are people surprised? This franchise is not run to cater to one player. I've never understood the theory that we have to get Tom Brady who he wants before he retires so he can win one more super bowl. If a director of player personnel ever said that in a scouting meeting they would be fired immediately. This is not how business is done. Bedard is totally right. This draft is not for now. The only one's I can see making an impact are the o-lineman and maybe Easely if healthy. I am certainly intruiged by Jeremy Gallon and if the DB we took is a special teams ace then great, that's awesome. To be successful year, after year, after year, you need to take risks, and you need to understand that it's not about your QB riding off into the sunset on a horse with his weirdo wife and 4th Lombardi trophy. Who knows what the pats see in Garopollo that we don't. I'm concerned about a lot of things. Small school being a major one; his 23-22 record at that small school, his strange release, his deep ball accuracy are definitely concerns. I am willing to trust the development of process of our coaching staff. They got Matt Cassel to play out his mind. His only other good season was with Charlie Weis. No coincidence. So I am willing to give this draft a chance, like all of them.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Who is making what he wants an issue, other than you. (and CRUSTY)

It's never been about what he wants, it's about what he needs.

He is the engine that makes it go but you need other working parts.

Last year he drove them to the AFC with 4 flat tires a busted axle and a transmission that wouldn't change gears.  Same thing the year before that and the years before that.

He needs a vehicle with the drive train, intact.

Until that happens, he might get you there but will never win again.

Bank on it...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

The only surprise for me was where they drafted him.

This only fuels my suspicions that this will be Brady's final season along with Wilfork and Mankins. According to OvertheCap.com, cutting Brady in 2014 will cost the Pats $18mil in dead money. In 2015, $5mil. I don't think that's by accident.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

Sections
Shortcuts