Gary Guyton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Gary Guyton

I don't know if it's due to some undisclosed injury or what, but he looks slower than Spikes....Guyton without speed is literally a detriment on every snap, if he can't cover we have several years of games that show he can't shed blocks.  On a side note, Andre Carter is a beast.  And 'Bert is thissssss close i swear! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Gary Guyton

I agree.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnyeates. Show johnyeates's posts

Spikes kicked butt!

great to see the D execute the way they did !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Spikes was blowing things up....for sure.  Just has to stay out of trouble and on the field, he could be a really good player.  But they need Mayo back, Gary should be nowhere near the field.  Is he hurt or something?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I remember one play where Guyton just stood there while a Dallas player (might've been Witten or a running back) stopped a yard to the right of him and turned around for a pass. He stood there like an idiot, watching Romo complete the pass to a guy 3 feet next to him. He looked like he was drunk. There was no reaction from him at all.

In conclusion, I miss Jerod Mayo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Guyton did a pretty respectable job filling in for Mayo during his first knee injury. He's always been too light to play the run well. If he could cover, and if he had a decent move to shed a block or two - he might be a good player to blitz with. He's supposed to be pretty fast....but apparently it's not game speed....lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

He can't cover anybody, had runners speed right by him on the edge and had runners drag him 3 or 4 yards when he got in on the tackle. I was thinking about Mayo the entire game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I would love to see Dane Fletcher get more time. I think he has the potential to be the 2nd best linebacker. But until he gets more reps we won't know. I saw on 1 play when Guyton let Witten run right by him for a catch and Guyton acted like he never saw him! Guyton has speed but it is not very evident on the field. A LB with 4.4 speed should be flying off the edge wreaking havoc. Guyton seems to play conservative, and is just average in coverage.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I remember that too. I was one of the people doing the praising. But he played well back then. He has not had a good effort these past two weeks.

Guyton has speed. He's the fastest linebacker on our team. He just seems to lack the instincts or awareness to use his speed. I remember he did a good job of pass coverage last year. Could it be the switch to the 4-3 that has him confused?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Spikes, Mayo and Nink....

Spikes was a BEAST up the middle, Nink played well, but Guyton was awful. It would be sweet to have Mayo roaming and killing like Spikes. Get well soon, Mayo!!! 

Nink        Spikes       Mayo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Not a Guyton fan...I like Fletcher more than him. Tatupu would be an upgrade IMO

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

And yet the Patriot's D had arguably their 2 best games with Guyton QB'ing the D.

The guy had 5 tackles and 5 assists today and the D played big, especially when it had to.

Mayo is better, but Guyton is getting the job done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

He can't run right now, and he was never able to contribute against the run.  In the past he had clear value, he ran well (though never as well as his timed speed would indicate), but without that speed I cannot think of many positives he brings in terms of physical traits....Like I said, maybe he's hurt, last season he moved around much better.  The defense played well today, i'm happy about the win, but regardless during the game it was obvious that he was overmatched.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I think we will see Fletcher more and more once he gets his legs under him-more instinctive than Guytan.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

next year we'll draft an exceptionally fast if undersized 43 olb, unless we don't. hey, whats up with Tarpinian right now, is he healthy?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Overall, I think Guyton is a solid LB for depth purposes. He has filled in and is filling in admirably for Mayo.

A few here hit the nail on the head with him, comparing him to Spikes. Guyton is a lot faster than Spikes in the open field, but Spikes has off the charts insticts and a nose for the ball, not afraid to mix it up, good at sorting through trash, etc. He's everything you want in an ILB. Suspect against the pass, this is where Guyton excels.

I think the ultimate line up based on who we have is Fletcher/Nink, Spikes, Mayo with Guyton and Fletcher or Nink coming off the bench. Until then, I would like to see a healthy dose of Fletcher and see what he has to offer. I'm not sure Fletcher is ready to call the plays, and this is perhaps the reason why we don't see him as much. This is the only conclusion I can come to especially given teh way BB has praised Fletcher, and how Fletcher has shown up this year not only on ST, but playing LB as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: Gary Guyton:
    I heard Andy Katzenmoyer is available, too.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

ROFLMAO.  Go get 'em Patsfansince1966.

Sections
Shortcuts