gasoline to the "best GM" debate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

gasoline to the "best GM" debate

Ozzie cuts Huff and Spears

have at it Harvey

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: gasoline to the

I wonder if the Belichick haters will tell us how Ozzie Newsome is overrated as a GM and suggest who the Ravens could have signed instead... or is that only reserved for BB.

Since this thread sat here untouched for a good hour now, I'll have to assume they were going to leave it alone and pretend it didn't happen.  "Hypocrites" is a word that comes to mind...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I would be ecstatic with either guy running my front office... that's for sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder is the Belichick haters will tell us how Ozzie Newsome is overrated as a GM and suggest who the Ravens could have signed instead... or is that only reserved for BB.

Since this thread sat here untouched for a good hour now, I'll have to assume they were going to leave it alone and pretend it didn't happen.  "Hypocrites" is a word that comes to mind...

[/QUOTE]

The only ones that would be up for eating crow here would be the ones who have listed Newsome as one of their top guys while bashing Belichick.

Some of us compare Belichick's actions to Belichick's possible actions, mitigating for expected errors.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only ones that would be up for eating crow here would be the ones who have listed Newsome as one of their top guys while bashing Belichick.

Some of us compare Belichick's actions to Belichick's possible actions, mitigating for expected errors.

[/QUOTE]

Sure, your suggestions would have been sign Mike Wallace, Dashon Goldson, Darelle Revis, lure Barry Sanders out of retirement along with a host of moves like trade Aaron Hernandez before he became a serial killer etc... you're truly a genius at this... two years in hindsight.  In the real world you don't know who will get injured until they actually do and a salary cap actually exists.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would be ecstatic with either guy running my front office... that's for sure.

[/QUOTE]

As would I, just pointing out how a "double standard" works.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Wozzy speaks the truth.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Wozzy, first of all, 99% of the "what I would do" as opposed to what BB the GM did, is not BB "hatred". There is one nut job on this website that wants to turn the "what I would do" discussion into BB hatred, but that is not the case. I have disagreed with BB the GM. I do not hate BB. The fun of coming to this board is stating an opinion and discussing.

I have repeatedly stated I do not want anyone else making decisions for this org other than BB.

I have disagreed with BB the GM...yet I posted the o/p that Ozzie also makes mistakes. Ozzie does, as does BB...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wozzy, first of all, 99% of the "what I would do" as opposed to what BB the GM did, is not BB "hatred". There is one nut job on this website that wants to turn the "what I would do" discussion into BB hatred, but that is not the case. I have disagreed with BB the GM. I do not hate BB. The fun of coming to this board is stating an opinion and discussing.

I have repeatedly stated I do not want anyone else making decisions for this org other than BB.

I have disagreed with BB the GM...yet I posted the o/p that Ozzie also makes mistakes. Ozzie does, as does BB...

[/QUOTE]

Ted Williams was the greatest hitter of all time and only hit 400% for a single season, I guess by your and others estimation he should have been better and is an underacheiver.  See how silly that sounds?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ted Williams was the greatest hitter of all time and only hit 400% for a single season, I guess by your and others estimation he should have been better and is an underacheiver.  See how silly that sounds?

[/QUOTE]

the ratings scale is not how many times a GM is correct or not...the scale is SB wins....BB has 3, with 2 other appearances....hence, I want no one else making decisions....that being said, I still wanted the Pats to have traded up and taken Richardson in the draft, and had a free agent signing for the DL in addition to Kelly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Zzzzzzzz

Yea we are bb bashers! We are hiding because Ozzie cut a couple players. I dont get it. BB cuts players too. Every GM cuts players. Is this to say Huff was no good for the folks who wanted him or to say Ozzie cuts players too?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sure, your suggestions would have been sign Mike Wallace, Dashon Goldson, Darelle Revis, lure Barry Sanders out of retirement along with a host of moves like trade Aaron Hernandez before he became a serial killer etc... you're truly a genius at this... two years in hindsight.  In the real world you don't know who will get injured until they actually do and a salary cap actually exists.

[/QUOTE]

LOL, awesome. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hmmmm...might you be referring to a certain 12x banned egomaniac who believes BB invented football? The one who also thinks every GM in every sport -even rugby and roller derby -follow BB's every move like clueless amateurs? That guy?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

There's no "hate" here for BB the GM.

In a perfect world I'd prefer the Pats to have a GM that is not BB, but can co-exist with him as coach.  He's a great coach.  Coaches coach.  Asking him to be the GM too means he can't devote as much time to one job or the other.  And yes, I'll say it, he's a far better coach than GM.

Look at the other major sports.  Who wears both hats?

Sure there will always be the potential for heads butting when you have two people instead of one, but it's not like it can't work.  The organization needs to be on the same page, top to bottom philospohically but it's best when each person can devote fully to ONE job.

Even with  the latest releases by the Ravens I think Ozzie is a better GM.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Why is it that this generation throws the hate word around so much? This is actually a serious question from an ole timer. I see it everywhere...if someone doesn't agree with someone else they set upon them with the hate label. Where did this come from?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why is it that this generation throws the hate word around so much? This is actually a serious question from an ole timer. I see it everywhere...if someone doesn't agree with someone else they set upon them with the hate label. Where did this come from?

[/QUOTE]

I think the whole word "hater" became too popular in the past 5 to 7 years and has faded a bit but its the most overused, non applicable word at the moment. Ex. Someone tells you they are gonna get their elbow peirced and you say "meh" and respond with "You're a Hater" and its like ummmm, No I just dont agree with you or I dont like piercings.

Ive had to tell a few people to get over themselves regarding that word. I dont hate anyone. Its a bad thing to have hate in your blood.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hate is a strong wrong... words are used loosely nowadays.  I think that's the precedence that's taking place.  Maybe they don''t use the word to it's literal context? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Regardless of whether you think BB is the best GM ever or that he couldn't draft his way out of a wet paper bag, BB's dual roles as the de facto GM and head coach will never change for as long as he's here.  For me, I keep coming back to his overall success - 5 SB appearances and playoffs all but 2(?) years.  Pretty impressive.   I also won't overlook the fact that he has had a particularly tough time finding players at specific positions - WR and CB - and there have been some questionable FA moves at times, too.   

Those that want to bash BB by saying Brady is the straw that stirs the drink overlook the fact that BB has been able to draft, develop or trade for some pretty good talent to surround Brady with over the years.  Brady couldn't have done it alone.  Has BB been perfect in acquiring talent?  Not even close.  But he's been pretty successful fielding teams that, while not always championship-calibre, have consistently been competitive.  And his coaching abilities are not in question, so if you feel he's leaving the cupboard bare talent-wise, he must be doing ok as a coach.  

I think most fans know we have it good and that we should enjoy it while it lasts.       

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What is this based upon?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He had four hits for every at bat?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Certainly not trying to start trouble...just wondering why the word is being used today at epidemic levels...thanks for the 2 cents.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Regardless of whether you think BB is the best GM ever or that he couldn't draft his way out of a wet paper bag, BB's dual roles as the de facto GM and head coach will never change for as long as he's here.  For me, I keep coming back to his overall success - 5 SB appearances and playoffs all but 2(?) years.  Pretty impressive.   I also won't overlook the fact that he has had a particularly tough time finding players at specific positions - WR and CB - and there have been some questionable FA moves at times, too.   

Those that want to bash BB by saying Brady is the straw that stirs the drink overlook the fact that BB has been able to draft, develop or trade for some pretty good talent to surround Brady with over the years.  Brady couldn't have done it alone.  Has BB been perfect in acquiring talent?  Not even close.  But he's been pretty successful fielding teams that, while not always championship-calibre, have consistently been competitive.  And his coaching abilities are not in question, so if you feel he's leaving the cupboard bare talent-wise, he must be doing ok as a coach.  

I think most fans know we have it good and that we should enjoy it while it lasts.       

[/QUOTE]

My whole professional life has and is based upon data and results. Results are factual data. I could argue that the results are flawed but you can't hide from results.

During BB tenure at NE we are the most succesful franchise in the league. What else can the guy do?

Now I live to talk about football, the good, the bad and the ugly...it's fun for me. Please don't ever take this to mean I believe that BB has done a bad job.

If I ever met the man I would thank him for the best 13 years of football I've ever had.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

I wonder is the Belichick haters will tell us how Ozzie Newsome is overrated as a GM and suggest who the Ravens could have signed instead... or is that only reserved for BB.

[/QUOTE]

Sure. Or people are at work and can't check the board every 2 mins.

every GM probably has a set of do overs. Even Ozzie and bb. That doesn't make them any less of a great GM. 

One of the key statements posed regularly here is bb is the greatest gm of all time. That is a bold statement with no facts to support it other than his record which is also a function of coaching which is hard to separate in the discussion. 

So, if someone goes on record and repeatedly claims bb is the greatest GM, is anyone who points out his flaws considered a bb hater? Can a fan like bb and what he has done and point out his misfires at the same time? i think both can co-exist and that fan still be every bit of a fan as compared to those who chug the koolaid.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sure. Or people are at work and can't check the board every 2 mins.

every GM probably has a set of do overs. Even Ozzie and bb. That doesn't make them any less of a great GM. 

One of the key statements posed regularly here is bb is the greatest gm of all time. That is a bold statement with no facts to support it other than his record which is also a function of coaching which is hard to separate in the discussion. 

So, if someone goes on record and repeatedly claims bb is the greatest GM, is anyone who points out his flaws considered a bb hater? Can a fan like bb and what he has done and point out his misfires at the same time? i think both can co-exist and that fan still be every bit of a fan as compared to those who chug the koolaid.

[/QUOTE]

a fan can like BB and what he has done, but also point out his misfires....except on this board...on this board that thread is hijacked and the thread turns into a it's Bradys fault thread

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Btw, should the Pats kick the tires on Spears?

Sections
Shortcuts