Gasper Won't Give Up the Ghost

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Gasper Won't Give Up the Ghost

This guy is still harping on the Randy Moss is a "quitter and a dog" non-story, that seemingly died a week ago. It is lazy, irresponsible sports journalism at its' worst. Its' annoying, negative, and boring. Hey...I guess I just described Gasper's articles to a "T".

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/12/can_guys_change.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Gasper Won't Give Up the Ghost

Everyday it's a new coulumn with the same old trash from Gasper. This is the equivalent of a political columnist trying to make his bones by riding a scandal for 6 months straight. His goal must be to let everyone know he's "hard hitting" and not in the bag for anyone. If you're shallow minded I guess you might think this guy is a tough journalist but if you are a normal sports fan with no axe to grind you would most likely think he's an idiot. Me, I have no axe to grind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Tex I was just about to start a thread regarding Moss, then I saw your headline. Forget Gasper. The question I pose, can we win another SB with a disgruntled Moss? I am not saying Randy is unhappy or upset with NE, but I have read constantly about how many guys look to him for leadership in the locker room, not just the WRs. With the loss of Rodney, Tedy, Vrabes and Seymour, there is not a lot of vets that younger guys can look to.

I do not have a first hand look into the locker room myself, but Reiss has said numerous times that the locker room does not have the same vibe it used to. Lacking leadership and unity. I guess what I am saying is Moss, who I understand has a very strong personality, one who younger players are drawn to, must be kept happy for this team to win. He must be on board with BB and the "Patriot Way", whatever that actually is. I understand he was late for a meeting or practice because of weather. He had one bad game amongst many very good ones here in NE. I am not saying Moss should be shipped out of NE, but saying he is a bigger key to this teams success than just catching 8 balls for 120 yards a game. He needs to want to come to work every day for the NE Patriots. When he does that others will want to do the same and then and only then will this team be where we want it to be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Maritime...Merry Christmas! I do know about you...but I'm not able to repond directly to your post. Are the PC Mods playing with the forum features again? In any event, I have copied your post...and will respond as follows:

"Tex I was just about to start a thread regarding Moss, then I saw your headline. Forget Gasper.

RESPONSE: My thread is directed at him. I'm tired of his negativity, and reject the premise of his articles. I don't believe that Randy Moss is a bad guy. Does he have issues? Yes. I'm no doctor, but my guess is that when he gets frustrated, he tends to be hard on himself...and is prone to bouts of depression, from time to time. When he gets in these funks, it obviously affects his play...just like it does with some other folks who don't play NFL football. 

The question I pose, can we win another SB with a disgruntled Moss?

RESPONSE: I reject your premise, and that of Gasper, that he's disgruntled. The lack of a good 3rd WR playing opposite him, the inability of the OL to protect as well as they have in the past, and the fact that Tom Brady does not necessarily throw a good deep ball have limited Randy's effectiveness. He's frustrated that every time he runs a route, he's chucked at the line by a CB, who has a safety backing him up.  

I am not saying Randy is unhappy or upset with NE, but I have read constantly about how many guys look to him for leadership in the locker room, not just the WRs.

RESPONSE: Than why do you say that he's "disgruntled"?

With the loss of Rodney, Tedy, Vrabes and Seymour, there is not a lot of vets that younger guys can look to.

RESPONSE: Its' well documented that Moss has been a great teammate while with the Patriots. Fellow WRs have sung his praises...as has BB.

I do not have a first hand look into the locker room myself, but Reiss has said numerous times that the locker room does not have the same vibe it used to.

RESPONSE: Sure! No Troy Brown, no Tedy Bruschi, no Rodney Harrison, no Mike Vrabel, no Richard Seymour. But, lack of leadership is not why the Patriots aren't as good as they once were. They're simply not as talented, on both sides of the ball. The team is rebuilding on the fly, especially on defense.

Lacking leadership and unity. I guess what I am saying is Moss, who I understand has a very strong personality, one who younger players are drawn to, must be kept happy for this team to win. He must be on board with BB and the "Patriot Way", whatever that actually is.

RESPONSE: I believe that Moss is on board. The offense has clearly struggled against the better teams, particularly in the second half of games. Opposing teams have been striving to take Moss away as a weapon, and are trying to make the Patriots go the length of the field. The Pats aren't a ball control, smash-mouth team. So, for them to be effective, they need to keep Moss involved.  

I understand he was late for a meeting or practice because of weather. He had one bad game amongst many very good ones here in NE. I am not saying Moss should be shipped out of NE, but saying he is a bigger key to this teams success than just catching 8 balls for 120 yards a game. He needs to want to come to work every day for the NE Patriots.

RESPONSE: Again, I reject your premise, and that of idiots in the press like Gasper. I believe that Moss is working hard. Some people are more complex than others, and require different treatment. Some people respond to being yelled at, while others resent it. Some people need constant re-assurance, while others are self-sufficient. In any event, the Randy Moss  acquisition has been a huge success. His positives have clearly outweighed any of his negatives.

The media had hoped that when Moss went to the Pats, that he would be a cancer. But, as usual, they were wrong. It wasn't Randy Moss who cost the Patriots SB 42, or the close losses to Indy, this year and last. Yet the media still is striving to paint him as a cancer, and, unfortunately, some fans are foolishly buying into it.

When he does that others will want to do the same and then and only then will this team be where we want it to be.

RESPONSE: Again, I reject the premise that Moss is a cancer, or is not working hard. I believe he is...and his performance as a Patriot shows it. Besides, if he was dogging it, do you think that BB would put up with it? 

The bottom line is...its' long overdue time to lay off Randy Moss. Like spygate, Moss loafing it was a bogus story, to which the media gave legs. The Patriots today aren't the Patriots of 2007 because Moss isn't working hard...but because they're not as talented as they once were, pure and simple. Heres' why...since 2007:

1.) they've lost good coaches, in OC Josh McDaniels, and secondary coach Dom Capers;   

2.) Tom Brady appears to be still suffering from the psychological aspects of injuring his knee, and seemingly has never recovered his swagger after that awful, disappointing SB 42 loss. Mentally, he simply doesn't appear to be the same guy;

3.) third WRs Donte' Stallworth and Jabar Gaffney are no longer with the team, and have been replaced by the likes of the washed up Joey Galloway, and career special teamer, Sam Aiken;

4.) RB Kevin Faulk, approaching age 34, appears to be finally slowing down. FB Heath Evans is gone. Sammy Morris has been relatively ineffective, and Fred Taylor has missed the entire season with an ankle injury (if 100%, he could make a big difference for the Pats in the play-offs); and

5.) DE Richard Seymour, along with starting LBs Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, and Rosevelt Colvin are gone. CBs Asante Samuel, Randal Gay, and Ellis Hobbs are gone...as is SS Rodney Harrison.  

Yet, you and Gasper are trying to blame all that ills the Pats on Randy Moss??? Just how fair is that?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Haha, easy there Tex. I never once said Moss is the problem. I never once agreed with Chris Gasper as I did not read his article. The link you posted took me to an Albert Breer two paragraph piece, actually. The point I was trying to get across and truthfully thought I did well, was to say that Randy is more important to this team than catching balls and scoring TDs. A lot of writers seemed to be pointing at his lack of production in the passing game as a sign that the Moss of old is here in NE. The point I was trying to get across is that he is more important I think as a leader in the locker room. One that when Bill says ok guys this is what we are going to do, he nods his head yes and says to the younger guys, Bill is right, this is how we will win, kinda thing.

Again, I never said Moss is disgruntled. I hinted that I am concerned about him becoming disgruntled or getting into one of his "funks" as you called it. The question I posed was of the hypothetical types. More of a if Moss becomes disgruntled it could kind of separate the locker room. That is kind of how I look at the Adalius Thomas situation. His sub-par play, questioning the coach in front of the media, no less, and the fact that he is supposed to be a leader in the locker room. These types of things are things we do not need in NE.

Is Randy doing this right now? I do not think so. Will it happen? Maybe, maybe not. All I was trying to get across was Bill has to keep Randy Moss on the level, because, I'm told, he has such a strong personality and could potentially split the locker room as some of the younger players will follow his lead.

Also, to comment on your rebuttal. I kind of expected a little more. You seemed to be in a blind rage because of Gasper and lumped me in with him. You missed the whole point of my post and then you side stepped calling me an idiot by calling everyone like me an idiot. Normally, I respect the comments you make on here. Seem to be calm and well thought out. This however, Tex, I mean you are better than that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The team is in transition that's for sure and we will see more of it this off season.  The defense is only missing a couple of pieces so I don't expect a whole lot of attention there but the offense is in need of some things.  Why Belichick went in thin at WR is beyond me.

One player, Thomas, comes out and speaks and Gasper writes about how Belichick has lost control.  Gasper bites on everything the Thomas has to say not noticing that it was the player that doesn't get it here.  Gasper could have presented both sides of the arguement but didn't.  He bites on every word of what Thomas has to say.  Logic takes a vacation.

All one has to do is look at what Moss has done as a Patriot.  He is the 2nd all time most prolific WR in NFL history.  The guy has some quirks and may not be the team leader you want him to be but look at the stats.  He's a HOF'er.  Gasper is dogging a future HOF'er.  What is good enough for him?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"This is the equivalent of a political columnist trying to make his bones by riding a scandal for 6 months straight."

Probably. But then again, there were Woodward and Bernstein.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

This is the equivalent of a political columnist trying to make his bones by riding a scandal for 6 months straight."

Probably. But then again, there were Woodward and Bernstein.
    Yapple

That's true but at least they had a real scandal to glom onto.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Gary I agree 100% with you on journalists biting on Thomas' words. Definitely got overblown. Having said that some of what has happened in the past few weeks have resonated with me. A guy like Thomas, an experienced vet, leader in the locker room, all that, when he says stuff like that it makes sense to think that there are some problems. Being one of the experienced guys on a young defense like this it makes me concerned that maybe some of the young guys will back him up over putting the team first.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Haha, easy there Tex. I never once said Moss is the problem.

RESPONSE: You accepted the premise that he was dogging it...and has a "strong personality" which could influence others...which is another way of saying that you were buying into the premise that Moss is a cancer.  

I never once agreed with Chris Gasper as I did not read his article. The link you posted took me to an Albert Breer two paragraph piece, actually. The point I was trying to get across and truthfully thought I did well, was to say that Randy is more important to this team than catching balls and scoring TDs. A lot of writers seemed to be pointing at his lack of production in the passing game as a sign that the Moss of old is here in NE. The point I was trying to get across is that he is more important I think as a leader in the locker room. One that when Bill says ok guys this is what we are going to do, he nods his head yes and says to the younger guys, Bill is right, this is how we will win, kinda thing.

RESPONSE: Moss has never been, nor will never be, thatr kind of guy. He leads on the field by example, and in practice, with his good work habits.  

Again, I never said Moss is disgruntled.

RESPONSE: You certainly implied it. Please re-read yopur initial post. But...OK if you didn't...no biggie. Glad to hear that you're not on the same page as Gasper.

I hinted that I am concerned about him becoming disgruntled or getting into one of his "funks" as you called it. The question I posed was of the hypothetical types. More of a if Moss becomes disgruntled it could kind of separate the locker room. That is kind of how I look at the Adalius Thomas situation. His sub-par play, questioning the coach in front of the media, no less, and the fact that he is supposed to be a leader in the locker room. These types of things are things we do not need in NE.

RESPONSE: Don't take my response as being a personal attack. It wasn't. I'm just sick of the Boston press...and tired of the way that Moss is getting abused...over NOTHING! Remember that bogus assault nonsense launched upon Moss by Jackie MacMullen? The press has a template that Moss is a bad guy...and once they have their template, it never changes...and all their stories are slanted to fit the bogus template.

I did not call you an idiot. If you took it that way, my sincerest apologies.

Merry Christmas, my friend.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I find it odd that he speaks up and acts like this after Bruschi, Harrison and others are gone.  The defense had lost it's identity and it needed to find one.  Turning to Thomas for this on appearance would have been a huge mistake.  Thomas comes across selfish here and therefore blows up the notion of any leadership skills. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from +Mrboston. Show +Mrboston's posts

Gasper is the little Gay boy, who got picked on. We were spoiled by Reise.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/24/moss-speaks-finally/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

RESPONSE: You accepted the premise that he was dogging it...and has a "strong personality" which could influence others...which is another way of saying that you were buying into the premise that Moss is a cancer.  

When did I accept the premise he was dogging it? I asked the question can we win another SB if Moss is disgruntled? Then his "strong personality" comment, I went on to say how we, as in NE Patriots, need him to be happy for this team to be successful. We need him to want to come to work and be a NE Patriot. Never once did i say or insinuate that he is not happy to be here. You put Moss and Cancer in the same sentence not me. Kinda seems like you are the one leading the witch hunt Tex, just for the other team.

RESPONSE: Moss has never been, nor will never be, thatr kind of guy. He leads on the field by example, and in practice, with his good work habits.

Do you know Randy personally? Do you work for the NE Patriots? Are you there in the meetings with players and coaches? I mean if you are than I will take your word for it. The comment I made can be taken both ways though I guess. When I said Moss needs to nod his head and tell the young guys Bill is right, that also means to lead by example. What I was saying is Moss needs to be on the same page as Bill and it will trickle down to younger players.

To wrap things up, I think Moss does have tremendous ability on the field. I have heard from numerous accounts his work ethic, either on the practice field or in film study is outstanding. I have also heard his personality draws people in. He is a very likeable guy. I have not seen him dogging it or heard anything negative about him from people that actually matter within the organization. That is what is important.

Had I said keeping Titus Adams and Bill on the same page is important, would you be as upset? Probably not. The reason you get upset is because you know a very large part of the offense is built around Moss. Without him Welker doesn't have the middle of the field, run game gets a little more interest from opposing Defenses, we have no deep threat...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Gary, I was one who was hoping Thomas would be the face of the defense this year. I kind of missed on that one eh? As for him speaking up after the boys left, it is probably a lot easier to do that now that they are gone. No one to stand up to him and say something now that he is technically one of the veteran leaders on defense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

When did I accept the premise he was dogging it? I asked the question can we win another SB if Moss is disgruntled? Then his "strong personality" comment, I went on to say how we, as in NE Patriots, need him to be happy for this team to be successful. We need him to want to come to work and be a NE Patriot. Never once did i say or insinuate that he is not happy to be here. You put Moss and Cancer in the same sentence not me. Kinda seems like you are the one leading the witch hunt Tex, just for the other team.

RESPONSE: Kind of seems to me like you're protesting too much. You're backtracking, my friend. 

Next, you whine about the following response I made previously:
    "RESPONSE: Moss has never been, nor will never be, that kind of guy. He leads on the field by example, and in practice, with his good work habits."

Do you know Randy personally? Do you work for the NE Patriots? Are you there in the meetings with players and coaches?

RESPONSE: LOL!!! Those that know him best, like Chris Carter, has said these things. The rest are my own personal observations. He's not a Rodney Harrison type guy.

Don't you think BB would have handled Moss a long time ago if he was a problem? Instead, he signed Moss to a lucrative extension. What do you deduce from that?? Or, do you have to be at the practices, or know the guy?? 

Moss has been one of the top three WRs since he's been with the Pats. You don't have that type of success at his age without hard work and dedication. 

I mean if you are than I will take your word for it. The comment I made can be taken both ways though I guess. When I said Moss needs to nod his head and tell the young guys Bill is right, that also means to lead by example. What I was saying is Moss needs to be on the same page as Bill and it will trickle down to younger players.

RESPONSE: Again, you whine that you aren't accepting Gasper's premise that Moss is a problem...but yet you imply that he's not on the same page with BB? How do you know? Do you work for the Pats? Are you in the locker room? LOL!!! 

I say that Moss IS on the same page with BB...or he'd be gone. The guy is just frustrated.  

To wrap things up, I think Moss does have tremendous ability on the field. I have heard from numerous accounts his work ethic, either on the practice field or in film study is outstanding. I have also heard his personality draws people in. He is a very likeable guy. I have not seen him dogging it or heard anything negative about him from people that actually matter within the organization. That is what is important.

RESPONSE: At last, we agree!!

Had I said keeping Titus Adams and Bill on the same page is important, would you be as upset? Probably not.

RESPONSE: Again, I don't buy the premise that Moss and BB are not on the same page. If Titus Adams, or any Patriot (Adalius Thomas was benched because he wasn't on the same page) is not following BB's direction, he should be benched until his mind is right, or be gone. 

Incidently, have you noticed how the play of Derrick Burgess has picked up since he was sent home for being late? Burgess got the message, and knew that he was wrong. He admitted as much, and has been playing with passion since.

The reason you get upset is because you know a very large part of the offense is built around Moss. Without him Welker doesn't have the middle of the field, run game gets a little more interest from opposing Defenses, we have no deep threat...

RESPONSE: LOL!!! The reason I'm taking issue with Gasper and his ilk is because, since Moss has been a Patriot, he has produ, has played hard, and has been one of the best players in the NFL. Yet, thats' not good enough for Gasper and the Boston media. They are trying to turn Patriots' fans against Moss, and railroad him out of town...just like the media tried to destroy BB with spygate

That said...its' Christmas Eve!! Merry Christmas to you and yours, Maritime!! Hope you guys have a white Christmas!! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

bingo Maritime!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Tex I am running out of ways to explain myself clearly so that you will understand.

This is as clear as I can get.

If Moss becomes a distraction in the locker room, this team will have problems.

Clear as mud right?

You may try and disagree and say BB will get rid of him. Then what. Right now our offense is built around Moss. Everything this team does on offense is based around him always being a threat to take it to the house.

As for me protesting...Kind of being hypocritical there Tex. I mean, the way you write your responses, copy and paste technique, sets you up to do the same thing. As for me backtracking, I have never wavered from my original post. The original thought was always the same, whether or not I explained myself clearly enough, or you have the blinders on and just simply were looking to get into an argument, that may be up for debate.

You keep saying I imply Moss isn't on BBs page. I do not imply that at all. I am speaking in a future kind of tense. Meaning he may be on the same page now but possibly not in the future. I stated it earlier, a hypothetical situation.

Just to add a little gas on this fire. Your whole rebuttal to Gasper's stories about Moss being the problem, is just you saying Moss isn't the problem because I don't think he is. What makes you right and him wrong?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

Critiquing this kid's garbage is like critiquing a comic strip or a used lottery ticket.

Please stop before the publisher actually thinks people read his column.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from vapatfan1. Show vapatfan1's posts

Funny those reporters.  Wategate--dogged journalism that revealed a scandal that by today's standards would seem almost common place and by which the coverup became the bigger offence than the act itself.  Too bad today's press are repeaters, not reporters. 

Climategate, complete silence....  I guess it's the ole' "If we ignore it, maybe it will go away..."  Reporters have agenda's too.  Maybe Gasper has his...  Maybe if he keeps telling the lie it will be eventually accepted as true....kind of like global warming, don't you think?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

No matter if you like MOss or not. If he is "THE GUY" for other's to look to. If you don't have an identity in week 16. You should not be anywhere close to coming in late.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesvpo. Show jamesvpo's posts

I really like this discussion topic. I've never been one to scrutinize journalists, but I think this is fascinating - the way they have attacked Moss when they know how much it antagonizes the fan/reader base. They don't understand their readers.

Seriously, I want people who read these articles from Gasper, Greer, et. al. who actually enjoy or agree with them to start making their voices heard. Because frankly, I'm not convinced any exist. Anyone I show these links to who is any degree of Pats fan always has the same response: "Why is Gasper a paid journalist? This isn't just bad content, it's actually insulting to the readers." Everyone says that. The feedback is so clear - if this happened with any other "product" there would be a recall.

I'm amused. I think these articles are bad to the point of being funny. I'd never subscribe to the Globe now though (I can't help that I support their Ad revenue unfortunatly). Anway, my new years resolution is to stop reading this site entirely (like quitting smokin). ESPNBoston.com is high brow. This is smut.

Peace out. Merry Christmas.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Tex I am running out of ways to explain myself clearly so that you will understand.

This is as clear as I can get.

If Moss becomes a distraction in the locker room, this team will have problems.

Clear as mud right?

RESPONSE: Merry Christmas, Maritime.

You may try and disagree and say BB will get rid of him. Then what. Right now our offense is built around Moss. Everything this team does on offense is based around him always being a threat to take it to the house.

As for me protesting...Kind of being hypocritical there Tex. I mean, the way you write your responses, copy and paste technique, sets you up to do the same thing. As for me backtracking, I have never wavered from my original post. The original thought was always the same, whether or not I explained myself clearly enough, or you have the blinders on and just simply were looking to get into an argument, that may be up for debate.

You keep saying I imply Moss isn't on BBs page. I do not imply that at all. I am speaking in a future kind of tense. Meaning he may be on the same page now but possibly not in the future. I stated it earlier, a hypothetical situation.

Just to add a little gas on this fire. Your whole rebuttal to Gasper's stories about Moss being the problem, is just you saying Moss isn't the problem because I don't think he is. What makes you right and him wrong?

RESPONSE: Fate?

Sections
Shortcuts