Gasper's Latest Fiasco and Apparently Mine As Well

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Gasper's Latest Fiasco and Apparently Mine As Well

Did anyone else read his latest piece about Chad Johnson? This is the sort of thing that had me concerned when I heard the Pats traded for him.

Thoughts?

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnist/gasper/2011/08/ochocinco_has_l.html?s_campaign=8315

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Gasper's Latest

Antibody--They above link does not work....

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/gasper/2011/08/ochocinco_has_l.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

I think it just simply too early to be thinking this way. The guy just needs reps and then more reps. The jump between the two teams playbooks is a chasm by all accounts.
     If not progressing with production someways into the regular season then discuss it imho. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I need sports writers and their opinions about as much as I need used toilet paper. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In Response to Re: Gasper's Latest:
    [QUOTE]I think it just simply too early to be thinking this way. The guy just needs reps and then more reps. The jump between the two teams playbooks is a chasm by all accounts.  If not progressing with production someways into the regular season then discuss it imho. 
    Posted by irishfanatic[/QUOTE]

The REAL concern is not Chad's lack of familiarity with the Patriot's playbook but his lack of "sticky" fingers when he does touch the ball.  World-class receivers all seem to have the ability to catch and hold most passes thrown to them.  Chad seems to work aggressively to get in a position to catch a pass but lacks sufficient concentration to secure the ball. Hand-eye coordination is one hallmark of excellence but Chad seems lacking in that dimension.  Randy Moss never lost it, he simply seems to have lost his enthusiasm for competing!

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I'm not concerned.

He's past his prime, surely, but he will contribute.

The Pats' offense is unique in that the WRs are forced to make "sight adjustments," and it takes time for players new to the system to master that.

Again, we have to look at the 2011 pre-season as a totally different animal. Had there been a free agency period and a normal pre-pre-season period, the trade for Ocho would probably have been made in April or May, and he would have had an extra three months to get acclimated to things here.

No worries.

By mid-season he and Brady will be on the same page. Until then, the WRs and TEs who've already been in the system for awhile will have to carry #85 a bit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Gasper = DOOOSHBAG

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Let's see.....  Chad can't be himself, so he can't catch the ball?  Cut him. 

I don't think that's really the case, I think its been a hard adjustment between the two offensive systems.  I hope it becomes seamless for him real soon, because these games will start to count, REAL SOON.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

Gasper thinks he's a capable sports psychologist.  He's just a hack, trying to be in the newscycle by being negative - he does it quite frequently!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Damnit! It's been removed. I'm not surprised. It's pretty bad.

The gyst of the article is that maybe he isn't doing well is because he is being stifled by "the austere, individuality-snuffing code of conduct in Fort Foxborough ,that is squeezing the football life out of the flamboyant and free-spirited wide receiver."

Lines such as: "If you want the Pro-Bowl performer you have to make room on your team for the invererate showman and self promoter."

And:  "...too many camera shots this preseason where he has a sullen, far-away look on his face as though he is being held captive."

Also: " It's time for the Patriots to stop forcing (Johnson) to do it the Patriot Way and let him do it his way..."

I understand that it takes some time to adjust to a new system, but this is making the problem sound like it's about more than X's and O's. I hope he isn't going to start sulking because he's not the center of attention he feels he should be. This was my main concern when they traded for this guy. I don't have a lot of sympathy here. He had to know what he was in for.

Don't get me wrong. I want him to succeed. But it's time to decide which is more important to him. Is it being an individual and promoting the "ocho product" or is it being a part of a winning football program?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Well most DB's are WR's that were unable to catch a ball.  Maybe Chad is on the wrong side of the ball. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

By the way, even though BDC is no longer posting the article, if you take the trouble to Goofgle the link, you can still read it.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I couldn't get through the first paragraph of this piece of trash article. Typical Gasper rubbish with no basis or fact, just stupid mumbo jumbo. I guess in order for Chad to understand our offense he needs to turn back into a clown as though the 2 are somehow related. 85 is going to have a breakout game within the first 5 games of the season and never look back. The Gasper will write an article saying that he knew it and Chad has finally found himself.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Gasper in one word:  Unreadable

I wouldn't even use the newspaper print with his writing on it to line the bottom of a birdcage. 

The only thing worse is seeing him on the telly making a fool out of himself.  He's a young Borges protege, apparently the Pats can never do anything right and the glass is always half empty.  He comes off as a guy without the facts trying to stir things up to hide his lack of understanding. 

I am no homer, I agree with some of the criticisms levied at the Pats, it's just that it can't be raining all the time Chris "Grasper" -- as in grasping at straws.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]Do you really think Chris Gasper has a clue and that his premise holds any water? Are you serious?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE] 
    As serious as you are about the things that you post. I am as equally entitled to my opinions as you are to yours. Whether this is just another Gasper hack piece or not, a serious question has been raised. Can the football player Chad Johnson separate himself from the clown persona of ochocinco and remain effective? It remains to be seen.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WelkerRules. Show WelkerRules's posts

King--I was at the game sat. night and yep your right about that. I saw the play and the call surely went the Lions way. Matter of fact most of them did just like Suh swiping at Logan in the head and with the ref standing there. Then he goes on to say he (suh) was defending his teammate. Yeah right.

Ref never did a thing to him but penalized Logan and the Pats for it instead. Suh grips when people call him a dirty player. I say he is. Never liked him. and he has already been fined this preseason. I wish he would get fined again for that on Sat. somehow he always appeals them because oh wait the great Suh would never take a dirty hit. Yeah right.

Anyhow your point is true. Chad got a bad deal on that call but on the 2 balls Tom threw to him and he just let drop...that is a different story.

Good post.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BERNIENH. Show BERNIENH's posts

Chad just has LACKOFTWITTERITIS...He will be cured when Tom forgets his number in real games!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]I couldn't get through the first paragraph of this piece of trash article. Typical Gasper rubbish with no basis or fact, just stupid mumbo jumbo. I guess in order for Chad to understand our offense he needs to turn back into a clown as though the 2 are somehow related. 85 is going to have a breakout game within the first 5 games of the season and never look back. The Gasper will write an article saying that he knew it and Chad has finally found himself.
    Posted by Rerun85[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Beyond this, BB and the patriot way doesn't stifle a players personality when it's not negative to the team or disrespectful to the game.  Neither of which Chad Johnson is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Remember D.Stallworth didnt emerge until week 6 where he brokeout against Dallas.

We hadnt lost a game to that point, so it didnt matter to me.  I dont think Ocho catching balls = wins for us,.  I think him catching balls makes Brady's job easier, but we may go a few weeks w/out targeting him or he could catch 20 balls in the 1st 3 games...depends on the gameplan.  Remember Moss didnt play at all in preseason....so lets let Chad work out his kinks now and in reg. season he should be fine....Just think about wins and not his production...thats not important yet..