Gerard Warren and Kyle Arrington

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Gerard Warren and Kyle Arrington

Just a quick shout out to two unheralded stabilizers on this defense.

When Ty Warren went down, that created a big hole and an aura of insecurity in an already weak spot in 2009 (edge setting run D).

Who would have thought, 10 year vet, Gerard Warren, a career-long 4-3 DT would come in here and adjust to the 3-4 DE, and actually play as well as Ty Warren has in the last few years here?

Tip of the cap to Gerard Warren, who quietly has helped firm up the DE position here with younger players like Brace and Deaderick.

And then we have the tough, tough loss of All Pro caliber, Leigh Bodden.

This one came out of nowhere and with the struggles from Darius Butler, thankfully Kyle Arrington has really stepped up, learned zone very quickly, tackles well (minus the Indy game), and generally keeps the right side very quiet during the game.

Without these two players stepping up, I am not convinced this team is able to reel off 11 wins at this point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Re: Gerard Warren and Kyle Arrington

These two have made giant impacts and I believe that this team is deep at DE but not at CB. Arrington has exceeded any expectations that he would have in his career, plus one other player to take a look at on defense is Pat Chung. He started year as SS and now has to play mostly the nickel back position and his coverage pretty damn good. He gives up a few plays here and there but he reads the run great and makes tons of plays on the running game. Since the move he hasn't had as many tackles but he's doing what the team needs him to do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

i was very impressed with arrington in the bears game.

and i know very little football, so i'm sure i'm missing most of what he does.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: Gerard Warren and Kyle Arrington:
    i was very impressed with arrington in the bears game. and i know very little football, so i'm sure i'm missing most of what he does.
    Posted by mnp3a

Don't be hard on yourself.

When anyone of us say this or that receiver or DB is doing this or that I sort of laugh because unless they are a season ticket holder or have access to the all 22 game films they can't even see what the player is doing for the full play, every play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Very true. That's why I said his side of the field is very quiet during games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Gerard Warren and Kyle Arrington:
    Just a quick shout out to two unheralded stabilizers on this defense. When Ty Warren went down, that created a big hole and an aura of insecurity in an already weak spot in 2009 (edge setting run D). Who would have thought, 10 year vet, Gerard Warren, a career-long 4-3 DT would come in here and adjust to the 3-4 DE, and actually play as well as Ty Warren has in the last few years here? Tip of the cap to Gerard Warren, who quietly has helped firm up the DE position here with younger players like Brace and Deaderick. And then we have the tough, tough loss of All Pro caliber, Leigh Bodden. This one came out of nowhere and with the struggles from Darius Butler, thankfully Kyle Arrington has really stepped up, learned zone very quickly, tackles well (minus the Indy game), and generally keeps the right side very quiet during the game. Without these two players stepping up, I am not convinced this team is able to reel off 11 wins at this point.
    Posted by BBReigns

Great post. They have both made an enormous contribution to our Team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Warren is doing a great job setting the edge as well as as rusher he deserves a ring and i hope he gets one. Arrington is playing well but I belive butler will eventually overtake him. Butler is more gifted.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Both guys have been contributors, but Arrington has really impressed me.  I expected Warren to step up (he was a high first-round pick after all and was just lost on a horrible Oakland team), but Arrington really came from nowhere to make an impact.  He was a great special teamer last year, but he's turning into a reasonably good cover corner--and not just in zone--he's played man-to-man fairly well too recently.  Butler has more raw talent it seems, but I wouldn't be surprised if Arrington stays ahead of him on the depth chart.  Arrington seems to have better instincts. He may not be as quick as Butler, but he seems to get in better position to make plays on the ball and hit the receiver. He's just more aggressive and confident than Butler, I think, and that has helped him cement that second corner slot for himself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

Two veteran 4/3 DLs, both play on 3/4 defenses, one excels and lauded by the fans as doing a great job I give you Gerald Warren. The other is gifted DL but a problem child refusing to play or speak to his coach and gets suspended, I give you Albert Haynesworth.

Good job by both Arrington and GW and a shout to the coaching staff, player most love coming here and experiencing the Patriot way

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Arrington has been horrible most of the year, but has been playing better of late. That said, we all saw how craptastic he can be when he was benched in the Indy game. The Pats have been able to hide his weaknesses. Kudos to the staff.

Warren has garnered a few sacks but for the most part gets blown up on running plays.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Kyle Arrington is a SMART man and those smarts and his desire to play football, (a BB prerequisite), are allowing him to make the most of this opportunity.  He's not lucky, he's good.  Get used to it.  Bodden may not be able to get back on the field as the starter.  We'll see.  I'm an Arrington partisan.  He can cover and he can tackle.  I love his ST play, the guy is a stud.

Gerard Warren?  Like BBReigns says,  not much was expected but much was delivered.  I'm liking it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

If Bodden can't beat out Arrington in 2011, he should retire. Arrington is a better taclker and STeamer, which is why he beat out Butler.

Yes, I'm happy with Warren, despite his limitations, though I might not feel the same in close games, where the run is still a factor.

That said, these guys are fill-ins. So let's not overrate them as fans are prone to do. Their spots will be targeted upgrades in the offseason, so let's not kid ourselves.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Wow, Cubie, a little tough on the curve, aren't ye?

What were your grades for people like Steve Israel or Chad Eaton back in the day?  Good grief.

And, I am pretty sure Leigh Bodden walks into camp next year and locks down his spot on the right side, playing Pro Bowl caliber ball.

But, let's give the players some credit here.  No one is overrating anything. We are acknowledging the fact they stabilized potential disaster spots on the roster.

How hard was this to understand from the original post?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

teams do seem to be throwing more at mccourty than arrington...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Wow, Cubie, a little tough on the curve, aren't ye? What were your grades for people like Steve Israel or Chad Eaton back in the day?  Good grief. And, I am pretty sure Leigh Bodden walks into camp next year and locks down his spot on the right side, playing Pro Bowl caliber ball. But, let's give the players some credit here.  No one is overrating anything. We are acknowledging the fact they stabilized potential disaster spots on the roster. How hard was this to understand from the original post?
    Posted by BBReigns

Uh-oh!

My realistic post on has been noticed by the Sunshine Lord! :)

Well, in answer to your question, the Pats have won in spite of them. If Ty Warren and Leigh Bodden were healthy and on the roster, this team would be much better off. Then again, such posts can poison people's minds into thinking that Arrington is better than Bodden.

BTW, it's okay to be critical of your team and still make other posts that call the Pats the best team in the AFC.

PS Tate still $ucks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Then again, such posts can poison people's minds into thinking that Arrington is better than Bodden. Posted by CubanPete

Did anyone say Arrington is better than Bodden?  I think the point was really that Arrington is better than anyone imagined . . . and also better than Butler.

And while Arrington did struggle with Wayne during the last drive of the second half in the Indy game, I'm not sure he was benched.  In fact, he was moved to DE to rush Manning, which BB later said was planned all along . . .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Gerard Warren and Kyle Arrington : Uh-oh! My realistic post on has been noticed by the Sunshine Lord! :) Well, in answer to your question, the Pats have won in spite of them. If Ty Warren and Leigh Bodden were healthy and on the roster, this team would be much better off. Then again, such posts can poison people's minds into thinking that Arrington is better than Bodden. BTW, it's okay to be critical of your team and still make other posts that call the Pats the best team in the AFC. PS Tate still $ucks.
    Posted by CubanPete

Uhh, Ty Warren has been a ghost for 2 seasons. Gerard Warren has been more effective this season as compared to Ty Warren in his last 2.

Leigh Bodden on the other hand, yes, he's one of the most underrated CBs in football.

I am not sure how realistic your post really is when Ty Warren couldn't set the edge last year.

Carry on, though, Cubie.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

in a year when the highest paid Defensive line man just got suspended because he didnt watch to switch to a 3-4 props to warren for being a team player and doing the best he can every game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Most fans probably see "Warren" on the back of a Patriots jersey and don't know that Tye is out.  Of course, there's a bit of coincidence with the names (i.e. Warren) being the same.  However, the level of play that has filled in is certaintly worthy of honarable mention in NE Patriots circles.  Kudos!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

If Bodden can't beat out Arrington in 2011, he should retire. Arrington is a better taclker and STeamer, which is why he beat out Butler. Yes, I'm happy with Warren, despite his limitations, though I might not feel the same in close games, where the run is still a factor. That said, these guys are fill-ins. So let's not overrate them as fans are prone to do. Their spots will be targeted upgrades in the offseason, so let's not kid ourselves.
    Posted by CubanPete

Bah, you have no clue. He has played fine and shored up that position which was a major weakness. You don't hear his number being called by being burned constantly like Butler and Hobbs were at that position. With McCourty becoming the shut down corner on the other side it makes it easier to swing him help, but he's played his position and done his job well. Nobody is making a claim that he should start over Bodden next year. Of course not. Nobody is calling the guy  a shut down corner either but he has been one of the MAJOR keys to this team's success. You think the Pats would have the same record if they were not able to plug this guy into the hole there? That to me is an unsung hero. You don't need to be a probowler to fit that role. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from triplestix. Show triplestix's posts

In Response to Gerard Warren and Kyle Arrington :
    Posted by triplestix

I don't disagree with you that both Warren and Arrington are playing well. However, I think they(as well as the entire defense)have benefited mainly from the fact that Brady and the offense have been doing so well. If you watch at the beginning of the games the defense really srtuggles to set the edge against the run. Teams know not to try to run up the middle with Wilfork so they try the outside and it usually works until the offense puts up a few TDs and the other team has to start passing to keep up. As far as Arrington goes... I think he falls into the same boat. When you know that a team has to pass on you... you don't have to worry as much about reacting to the play action and helping in run support. You get to focus almost exclusively on the guy across from you. It makes it much easier. I see Arrington more like Hobbs. Great against the short to intermediate passes. However if the Pats stop blowing teams out of the water I think he will be the guy that gets picked on the most. Especially down the field. Anyway I love the way that they are playing. I just think things would be different if the offense wasn't so good.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Great fill ins, amazing what they have done. Who would have though in the beggining of the season when Bodden went down prior to the season that we would have McCourty playing at a pro bowl caliber level and an undrafted free agent would be doing solid.

I have a great feeling about this season as I don't see any team posing us any trouble on our road to the superbowl.

And as for next year, with Bodden back, a year of experience for our rookies and fresh new talent coming from the draft, Im salavating just thinking about it!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

Instincts and desire, are Arrington. Now opponents woul rather not throw to either side! And next year, Bodden back, will have real competition, and need
    to EARN his job back. And even so, Arrington will be right here ready to roll. BB wishes he had more problems like that one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

However if the Pats stop blowing teams out of the water I think he will be the guy that gets picked on the most. Especially down the field. Anyway I love the way that they are playing. I just think things would be different if the offense wasn't so good.
    Posted by triplestix

What a joke.  Can anyone name any plays where the other team has completed bombs against us, other than maybe Palmer in week one?  BB doesn't get beat deep.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I'm sure Arrington has his PDs just as Warren has his pressures. Smart acquisitions by Belichick.....again.....proving that you needn't spend huge amounts of money on big FAs to be successful (see: Jets, Miami).

Sections
Shortcuts