Getting into college football?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Getting into college football?

I want to get into college football, but I just can't seem to be able to. I would like to start watching it to get a good idea on the upcoming drafts and see the players grow. I sort of follow the football from my university which is D1, but even then I just can't seem to really care. The bowl system just doesn't make much sense to me. If it is on TV and I actually have free time I will put it on. I'm thinking about trying to get into it after the Oct 15th filing deadline. Anything big college football-wise after that?

How did you guys get into college football? Any tips on getting into it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: Getting into college football?

I can't get into basketball, college or pro. The showboating and rules just drive me crazy. One of my friends is a huge Celtics fan, so I went out with him to watch the last Celtics/Lakers championship game and that just killed it (again) for me.

It is all hockey and NFL for me. I stayed in Australia for a while and loved their Rubgy and Footy leagues. I stayed in Adelaide and there was a big rivalry between Port Adelaide and the Adelaide Crows. It's a cool sport, and the rivalry reminded me a lot of the Jets/Giants. I rooted for the Crows because I stayed on that side of the city.

I would go to my school's hockey games and that was always a blast. I still couldn't get really into the football games even though football is my favorite sport... weird.

I'll try checking out the SEC games. I just think it would be easier to follow if they had a better playoff format as you mentioned. It seems like there are close to 20 bowl games. Seems kind of pointless to me.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Agree with everything. I'll give it a shot, but I'll probably eventually have to give up the ghost and just stick with the NFL and NHL.

You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

True, my lady friend would probably have a fit if I gave up Saturdays on top of football Sundays. I just figured that it would make the draft more interesting.

And I do love defense.

You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Yeah, I might just stick with those haha

Thanks for the advice.

You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I watch it, usually the big name games. I don't even watch the bowl games after the season, they've become diluted. But I usulaly watch the championship game. last years game was a dud though as Norte dame didn't belong there. But there was a bright spot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I think that College Football is something that you either have in your blood, or you don't.  I absolutely love it and would take it over the NFL, MLB, etc if I had to choose one.  Yeah, I know that isn't a popular statement to make on a Patriots board, but it's true.  I grew up going nearly every Washington State home game when I was a kid, and I just grew to love the atmosphere, fans, team, stadium, etc.  There is somewhat of a celebratory feel to college football games, even if the match-up is lopsided.  I obviously enjoy watching the Patriots on Sunday too, but going to a college game live beats watching NFL on TV any day.  On the flip side, I think that live NFL games are somewhat over-rated, and I would be just as happy to watch the product on TV.  It's all football, though.  It's all good.  I'm just a college guy at heart.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Too many teams, too little time to follow it all, and too many mismatches and bad games.  Saturdays I'm usually doing other things (hunting, ideally), but if I do have some time, I'll flip channels until I find a game that seems competitive and watch that.  The problem with that approach though, is you never really get to know any team, which makes it hard to really latch on to anything and get excited about it.  If you do pick a single team and follow it, then you'll end up watching a lot of mismatches, since the quality of the competition is so uneven.

Honestly, I prefer the CFL.  There's always a Friday night game (good time to watch a game while unwinding from the week with a beer or two), and the games are generally more competitive, with fewer mismatches.  Saturday is hockey night now that I live in Canada, and Sunday is NFL day.  College football just doesn't fit in anywhere, except as an occasional diversion.  In fact, if it's on TV as it sometimes is here, I'll watch your old favorite Aussie Footie over college football.  That's a great game in my opinion. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I just watch all the good SEC games. I'm not a fan of any SEC team but i just love the level of play those guys are always at. Each team has atleast 5 pros every game. PAC-12 football is really good this year too so I'll throw on a good game or two.

Actually good team to look at is Washington. saw them play on the road in Stanford last night and almost win. Their QB is a true leader. He's an accruate thrower as well and makes great decisions. I love their RB too, Sankey. This guy is a Ray Rice II. I wouldnt mind seeing the Pats draft both those kids!

Mainly the reason I watch CFB is to see the draft propects so i know who these guys are come May.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I'm lovin my Black Bears.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

I want to get into college football, but I just can't seem to be able to. I would like to start watching it to get a good idea on the upcoming drafts and see the players grow. I sort of follow the football from my university which is D1, but even then I just can't seem to really care. The bowl system just doesn't make much sense to me. If it is on TV and I actually have free time I will put it on. I'm thinking about trying to get into it after the Oct 15th filing deadline. Anything big college football-wise after that?

How did you guys get into college football? Any tips on getting into it?

I am very similar to you.  I hate how there is no playoff format. It's depressing. I realize there is the 4 team one this year, but it still won't be enough. I do not like the cupcake teams some juggernauts have on their schedules, either.

The other thing is, but the time you get to become familiar with a certain teams or teams players, they end up being junior or senior and they're gone.  It's just the nature of it, but still.  My alma mater's program has always been average, where basketball was really the thing.

I wished I had gone to a New England school or could have afforded it, because I still think college hockey is by far and away the best product.

Anyway, a 13 game season and each top ranked team has like 3 cupcakes on their schedule. What is the point? It's maddening.  

I'd rather 10 knockout matchups, a multi week playoff and then one big final championship.

I hear morons say things like "it's the most exciting regular season in sports."  Umm, no it's not. The NFL is.  Better product, a playoff format and one legit title game that doesn't come off like an arranged marriage.

That said, try the 3:30 SEC games on CBS.  Those are entertaining and the ones I usually check in on.  Also, the rivalry weekend games are always a fun take.

But, living down here in the south, I just smile and move on. They think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread because it's all they have.   It's why towns like Charlotte wih the Panthers or the Falcons in Atlanta or even the Dolphins down in Miami have such god awful fanbases for their NFL teams.

It's college football and nothing but with NASCAR in tow and then NCAA basketball (better than the NBA) takes off for real in January.

exactly down here in Fla is all about the Hurricanes, Gators or Seminoles. I know maybe two or three poeple who like either the Bucs or Phins over college. Crazy.