Ghost gone!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Ghost gone!

Yeah....Gotta check to see that there are a good amount of "followers", to make sure the "person" is not fake......  :  )

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I have not seen anywhere that has reported this.  Has this been confirmed?

It suppose to be Chris Mortensen, but I am not see other reports yet.  Will keep looking.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

If this is a fake account I apologize to all the readers.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Lets say this is true..have not seen it anywhere.

Does this mean they approached him for restructuring and he declined?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I wish he'd get cut, the guy isn't clutch and cost us two games last year. He's also just terrible in kickoffs. 

Talk about an average kicker, the fact that he's getting paid so much is a travesty. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

With the 235th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select... Dustin Hopkins, Kicker, Florida State University.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Now I'm confused. They don't have a viable kicker on the team, no mid round picks to draft one, and any kicker worth his salt is going to cost at least $1.5mil so to replace him they aren't going to save very much. Besides there aren't a ton of great kickers on the market right now, or at least kickers who are proven in these types of weather conditions. Kicking in NE is no joke. I'm going to be very curious what their end game is with kicker, though I wouldn't be surprised to see Ghost back on a more team friendly number.

Fake account makes more sense. For the reasons I listed above releasing Ghost just doesn't make much sense right now. Maybe if they draft someone but they don't need the cap room and there is no one else who can kick on the roster right now

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

With the 235th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select... Dustin Hopkins, Kicker, Florida State University.

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I can confirm this is far too much conversation about a Kicker's cap hit.

Was definitely time to move on. He lost some nerve at times this year...though to be fair, the team's use...or reluctance to use him from Day 1 in key spots can't have helped the ol' confidence.

That's probably the long and short of it. They wanted a kicker who was better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Z, the report was fake.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

It fake that is good news for the Pats.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

They still should restructure and extend him. Pay a signing bonus up front and make him cheap for the next 3 years 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Trimming salary cap space...in minutes.

well hurl only bellichick is brilliant enough to do this...alas the other 31 gms somehow muddle along the best they can

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

wow, clearing cap space now i see

$1.395 million cap savings

Nah. 2.5 in 2013 and the rest in 2014. 7 mil total.

K Stephen Gostkowski

Hi-res-6948246_display_image
    Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

2013 Cap Hit: $3,408,120

Dead Money If Cut: $908,120

Cap Savings If Cut: $2,500,000

Why He Might Be a Salary Cap Casualty: Gostkowski's contract made him the eighth-highest paid kicker in the NFL in 2012, but his 82.9 field goal percentage ranked 17th among kickers to play at least 13 games.

Gostkowski had the lowest field goal percentage in a full season since 2006, his rookie year. He missed two field goals in the 30- to 39-yard range and four in the 40-49 range. Those are both the highest marks since 2006.

Why He Might Not Be a Salary Cap Casualty: Good kickers are hard to come by. The list of free-agent kickers isn't exactly littered with talent. Of the free-agent kickers this year, only Bengals kicker Josh Brown, Chargers kicker Nick Novak, Seahawks kicker Stephen Hauschka, Browns kicker Phil Dawson and Lions kicker Jason Hansen had a higher percentage than Gostkowski. None are likely to leave their current teams by any path other than retirement (Dawson is 37 and Hansen is 42).

I doesn't make sense to even think about cutting Gostkowski.  The article is not correct as far as cap savings if he was cut.  The article shows a cap savings of $2.5 mill if cut.  The correct number is $1.4 mill savings if cut. I would rather keep him at that rate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

We're not going to save cap space if we release Ghost. What is everyone talking about.

We'll have to bring in another kicker who will cost more than the $1.4m in cap savings from Ghost so we'll end up using more cap space than at the present time for a dubious upgrade. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

This may be one of the longest threads in forum history regarding a possibly fake tweet about a kicker whose dead money salary cap hit may or may not range from $3.28 to $45 million depending on whose fraudulent twitter account you read - perhaps.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

There's nothing out there confirming this, nothing more than it came from the grassy knoll stuff.

It would be a really stupid move if it was true. The NET savings by cutting him is chump change. Remember, a new kicker ain't working for free, so a new kicker's salary, Got's dead money, is a NET difference of what? 1-1.5 MIL at best? And for what risk? You know how many teams would kill for even an average kicker.

Even if it came down to you needed to cut him. Get a replacement first via FA or Draft, go to camp and let the best kicker win.

But you don't cut your kicker without a solid back up plan or you may find yourself in September with a kid who couldn't hit the broad side of the barn.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Wow! Stephen didn't have the best year last year, but if it's true, didn't see this one coming

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

wow, clearing cap space now i see

$1.395 million cap savings

Nah. 2.5 in 2013 and the rest in 2014. 7 mil total.

K Stephen Gostkowski

Hi-res-6948246_display_image
    Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

2013 Cap Hit: $3,408,120

Dead Money If Cut: $908,120

Cap Savings If Cut: $2,500,000

Why He Might Be a Salary Cap Casualty: Gostkowski's contract made him the eighth-highest paid kicker in the NFL in 2012, but his 82.9 field goal percentage ranked 17th among kickers to play at least 13 games.

Gostkowski had the lowest field goal percentage in a full season since 2006, his rookie year. He missed two field goals in the 30- to 39-yard range and four in the 40-49 range. Those are both the highest marks since 2006.

Why He Might Not Be a Salary Cap Casualty: Good kickers are hard to come by. The list of free-agent kickers isn't exactly littered with talent. Of the free-agent kickers this year, only Bengals kicker Josh Brown, Chargers kicker Nick Novak, Seahawks kicker Stephen Hauschka, Browns kicker Phil Dawson and Lions kicker Jason Hansen had a higher percentage than Gostkowski. None are likely to leave their current teams by any path other than retirement (Dawson is 37 and Hansen is 42).

of that list, i would want jason hansen! but methinks the new guy will be san fran's old kicker (the lefty).. name escapes me. was a nall-pro just last year and still booms his kickoffs! chance to get it back. ghost lost his confidence, just as he did.. needs a new environment as ghost does. someone will pay the man.

San Frans kicker last year went 29-42. If that's all-pro then Tim Tebow is a real QB too

Sections
Shortcuts