Ghost....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Ghost....

Perhaps some may think I'm overreacting but I think Ghost has lost his mental toughness. I was wondering if you all agree with me in thinking if there are other viable options out there then we should part ways with him.

He cost us at least one game last year that i can recall easily (Cardinals) and I believe was bad in a few more. I honestly don't trust this guy with the game on the line and as critical as field goals are I think he will blow a game or two this year which could mean the difference in our season.

Any undrafted guys worth giving a look?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Ghost....

If there was a better option to Ghost I would hop on it in a second, he is now called ghost because he disappears in big moments.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Lol

wozzy he wasnt always like this. Do you think it's a mental thing like missing a few big kicks messes with his kitchen and he is just damaged goods in that sense for the rest of his career?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

Lol

wozzy he wasnt always like this. Do you think it's a mental thing like missing a few big kicks messes with his kitchen and he is just damaged goods in that sense for the rest of his career?

Kicking is confidence and mechanics, like a good golfer.  I don't think we'll need an amazing kicker like we did when we had Adam V, but we're a much deeper team now in terms of talent.  Thing with kickers is, you don't know how important they are until you need one.  I'll be biting my nails when that moment comes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

Lol

Kicking is confidence and mechanics, like a good golfer.  I don't think we'll need an amazing kicker like we did when we had Adam V, but we're a much deeper team now in terms of talent.  Thing with kickers is, you don't know how important they are until you need one.  I'll be biting my nails when that moment comes.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't know where to look but I'd be interested in seeing how kickers make it into the league. I'd guess mostly late round picks but Id have to imagine there are lots of undraftEd guys who have came in that way. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lol

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't know where to look but I'd be interested in seeing how kickers make it into the league. I'd guess mostly late round picks but Id have to imagine there are lots of undraftEd guys who have came in that way. 

[/QUOTE]

Ghost has a cannon of a leg, he needs a shot of confidence.  Maybe the season will provide such a moment, hopefully it happens before the post season.  The talent is undoubtedly there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

+! on confidence and mechanics. Handling the pressure when the game is on the line and the whole world is watching is not something that is easily done.

That said, he needs to be more consistent this year or the Pats find some guy off the internet from Norway who can kick field goals backwards from 60+ yards out. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Liability

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

+! on confidence and mechanics. Handling the pressure when the game is on the line and the whole world is watching is not something that is easily done.

That said, he needs to be more consistent this year or the Pats find some guy off the internet from Norway who can kick field goals backwards from 60+ yards out. 

the jets signed him, he didn't stick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

NYC, exactly!  

We need Kickalicious; that story writes itself

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

Lions signed him

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

What is underplayed is the diminishing importance of having a "big leg" on KOs.  When they moved the  KO up everyone can put it deep into/out of the end zone.  Yet, with Ghost we will see inconsistency with his distance within the same game.   No one has ever come out and said this is a strategic decision, and frankly, the special teams coverage has gone downhill in recent years.  So, to me, if he can't force touchbacks and make the clutch kicks bring in someone else.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Gostkowski has 1 job and that is to kick.  After last night he better be out there kicking every freaking day of his life right now getting ready for the season.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I have not been confident in Gostkowski from day one. He's just okay.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Towelie-Toke. Show Towelie-Toke's posts

he's pretty good with chip shots......lol

He started showing problems w/ longer FGs last year, it seems.  BB either punted or went for it...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"I agree it's a value, but watch him in the colder weather or in windier situations. He isn't consistent on toucback kick offs."

Agree, there a plenty of times when Mr. strong leg plops one at the 7 resulting in excellent opponent field position.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotsfan96. Show patriotsfan96's posts

Perhaps some may think I'm overreacting but I think Ghost has lost his mental toughness. I was wondering if you all agree with me in thinking if there are other viable options out there then we should part ways with him.

He cost us at least one game last year that i can recall easily (Cardinals) and I believe was bad in a few more. I honestly don't trust this guy with the game on the line and as critical as field goals are I think he will blow a game or two this year which could mean the difference in our season.

Any undrafted guys worth giving a look?

You mentioned the game against the Cards, but what about the home game vs the Jets? 2 field goals, 1 to tie the game and send it to ot, and the other one in ot to put us in the lead.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to Towelie-Toke's comment:

he's pretty good with chip shots......lol

He started showing problems w/ longer FGs last year, it seems.  BB either punted or went for it...

How about Super Bowl 42.  Pulling this from memory, instead of kicking a 50 yarder, BB went for it on 4th and 13.....didn't get it leaving excellent field position for the Giants.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8573/caleb-sturgis

Not sure Dan Carpenter is an upgrade as he misses clutch kicks too, but he looks to become available soon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

"You don't know what you've got till it's gone." Be careful what you ask for. Gost is one of the elite. What kicker not named Adam doesn't make you bite your nails?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Is he elite because he gets lots of opportunities wih this offense?  He's missed some home 30 yarders in the past couple of years too, never mind the 45+ ones.  11 missed field goals in the past 2 years.

There will be some vet kickers cut loose. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He sucks.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to krismk's comment:

Is he elite because he gets lots of opportunities wih this offense?  He's missed some home 30 yarders in the past couple of years too, never mind the 45+ ones.  11 missed field goals in the past 2 years.

There will be some vet kickers cut loose.

In the seven years of his career in the regular season, Gostkowski is 170-for-202, 84%, including 39-for-55 from 40 to 49 yards out, 71%.
    In his first seven seasons, Adam Vinatieri was 187-for-229, 82%, including 50-for-73 from 40 to 49 yards out, 68%.

Adam was elite because he was clutch. Stephen is elite because he's good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

I said this on another post, to me it's not necessarily the situations where you make it you win/miss it u lose, like the Cardinals game last year---its when they've been in a tight game, usually nursing a slim lead, and a promising drive stalls (because of a dropped pass or a penalty) and your looking for at least 3 and he seems to miss more and more of those recently                                                                                                                                                                                                      

now, a lot of times it doesn't come back to haunt them (thankfully), but it keeps games tighter longer and it has to get to the rest of the team at some point...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Perhaps some may think I'm overreacting but I think Ghost has lost his mental toughness.

I think you're saying what we've all seen the past couple of seasons. he did boot it out of the end zone a few times last night. But he isn't reliable on his long range FGs.

BB needs to address this soon.

Sections
Shortcuts