Ghost....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Ghost....

Last year was one of his worst years yet he still kicked more PATs and top 5 in FGs than anyone in the league and was still average in FG% and didn't miss a single PAT. 2/3rds of his misses coming from the 40+ range and he made as made as many long field goals as the average in the league kicking in a part of the country that is known for it's bad weather, higher winds, and freezing cold temperatures to kick in (that's extremely important as most of the top kickers kick in domes). Over the last 5 yrs he's easily made more FGs and PATs than any kicker in the league and has maintained a kicking % that has been top 15 at worst and top 3 at best. Come on guys really, cut Ghost some slack. He's a top 10 kicker in the league who is in conversation for the pro-bowl every year. Not every position can be manned by a top all time player and Veniteri's aren't available every year.

Besides this is preseason, every kicker doesn't look great in preseason game because this is the time of year they are trying out new things. Usually new LS, new place holders, the vet place holders are shaking off rust, they are trying out new angles of kicks there is a lot that goes into kicking early in preseason. Even Veniteri looked off the first preseason games every year. If by preseason game 4 he still looks off that would be different but you guys are seriously wanting to boot a top 10 kicker off the team because you think we can find better after looking a bit off early in preseason? 

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Gostkowski has 1 job and that is to kick.  After last night he better be out there kicking every freaking day of his life right now getting ready for the season.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

Amen. 

How long has he been in the league? Confidence? He's not a rookie. If he has a confidence issue and chokes as a result, he shouldn't be kicking . We need men on this team, not little girls.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

said this in another thread....

One thing to point out on missed FG's... it may not be the fault of the kicker. I did not see the game or watch the misses, but just a note. I think last season we changed holders and maybe there is some issue there we are not aware of. Maybe others on the forum know more about this and can comment. But not all misses are just due to the kicker, the holder and snapper must be good too.

Maybe it is an issue with the holder (I think it is Mallet or Mesko).....

Not making excuses for Steven G, but we need to be careful on what the real issue may be. I too have lost confidence in him, but maybe the issue is not totally in his control.

--- " I am a happy fan, a proud fan and I want us to win every game 28-0 but as long as we win, the team is united and has a sense of respect to the community and the game I will be a patriots fan and damn proud of it." ---- signed a pats fan from middle earth

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Well isnt Vanderjaf the most accurate * except when it counted * kicker ever? 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Ranked 5th in 2011 by these guys and 20th in 2012 which they've characterized as an 'off year'.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444322-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-32-kickers/page/14

In my opinion, he's certainly not AV but serviceable.  Unless there's someone else out there who's better (not sure where that would be) he's the Pats placekicker this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Lions have Akers and Kickalicious (Norwegian dude) - looks like both of them are doing well and they can't keep both on the roster.

One of them could be an alternative..

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/52725155/#52725155

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I'm still irked by the fact that during Superbowl 46 in a dome he had only one touchback in five attempts.

How could he not put the ball in the endzone almost every kick when weather is not a factor?

Especially after they moved the kickoff from the 30 to the 35 yard line.

Thought he was known for his strong leg.

IDK.  That's just one of the things that frustrated me during that game.

I'm not a Gost fan so it wouldn't bother me to see him replaced.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

Perhaps some may think I'm overreacting but I think Ghost has lost his mental toughness. I was wondering if you all agree with me in thinking if there are other viable options out there then we should part ways with him.

He cost us at least one game last year that i can recall easily (Cardinals) and I believe was bad in a few more. I honestly don't trust this guy with the game on the line and as critical as field goals are I think he will blow a game or two this year which could mean the difference in our season.

Any undrafted guys worth giving a look?

Ghost basically cost NE a game last season. 

He had that great season in 2008, but he really gets hype because he is consistently in the top ranking for points. But when you are top three in XP attempts virtually every season, you get a bit of boost there. 

Percentage-wise ... he has steadily regressed ... he is a middle of the pack kicker. 

9-13 beyond 39 is really bad. And you can tell BB doesn't have faith in him either because NE so often goes for it on 4th and long in that wierd bridge part of the field. I know it is only a few times a season, but if they had faith in the guy, they wouldn't ever. 

Really, they need to recuperate the special teams. NE also needs to address KR. 

They haven't had a legit top-10 KR since Hobbs left, and they so rarely get a boost from that spot. Back in the day, it was a mainstay for NE with guys like Faulk, Hobbs, Johnson, et al being top-5 type returners. 

I'm really hoping that is how Leon Washington can help out. He sported a nifty 29 ypr last season, which is exactly what NE needs. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The team's first goal is to win games in the regular season.  Preseason points don't get anyone into the playoffs.

Do any NFL teams throw away touchdowns in the preseason, so that they skew the statistics and look less dangerous than they are?  I say, absolutely!  Indianapolis was an early adaptor of underwhelming people in preseason.  I've seen both Brady and his backups toss some horrendous interceptions in previous preseason games. 

In the Pats-Philly game I note some otherwise atrocious play calling by Philadelphia.  For example, it was fourth down and punt for the Patriots and then Philly managed to get itself a five yard penalty, pulling the Patriots within field goal range.  On the Patriots' side, I observe Coach Belichick praising the Michael Vick touchdown pass where starting CB Aqib Talib, in single coverage, trailed the receiver by three steps.  Methinks the Hoodie doth praise too much. Talib would never be way out of position like that in single coverage deep. 

Then there's Julian Edelman, a pretty sure lock for a Wide Receiver role in September, holding the ball far away from his body with one hand just as a tackler approaches.  Edelman had two "forced" fumbles (forced by who, is the question) and then he managed to fall on both of them.

So, Philly drags your team into field goal range, kicking and screaming, so the saying goes.  Does BB tell Ghost on the very next play, "I want you to try to miss the goalpost 5 feet wide"?

I can see BB having a beer with the Philly coach after the game and they're both saying, "I feel so ashamed of myself" and "I feel so dirty!"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

I'm still irked by the fact that during Superbowl 46 in a dome he had only one touchback in five attempts.

How could he not put the ball in the endzone almost every kick when weather is not a factor?

Especially after they moved the kickoff from the 30 to the 35 yard line.

Thought he was known for his strong leg.

IDK.  That's just one of the things that frustrated me during that game.

I'm not a Gost fan so it wouldn't bother me to see him replaced.

Game plan. Notice that BB wanted the ball no more than 5yrds into the endzone? Why because he wanted certain returners to bring it out. With the gunners starting that much closer the likelyhood of tackling a guy before the 20 became higher and actually the Pats usually tackled in the 15-20yrd range. You know BB anything for a couple extra yards

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

He had that great season in 2008, but he really gets hype because he is consistently in the top ranking for points. But when you are top three in XP attempts virtually every season, you get a bit of boost there. 

Percentage-wise ... he has steadily regressed ... he is a middle of the pack kicker. 

9-13 beyond 39 is really bad. And you can tell BB doesn't have faith in him either because NE so often goes for it on 4th and long in that wierd bridge part of the field. I know it is only a few times a season, but if they had faith in the guy, they wouldn't ever. 

They haven't had a legit top-10 KR since Hobbs left, and they so rarely get a boost from that spot. Back in the day, it was a mainstay for NE with guys like Faulk, Hobbs, Johnson, et al being top-5 type returners. 

I'm really hoping that is how Leon Washington can help out. He sported a nifty 29 ypr last season, which is exactly what NE needs. 

Z, look at the top kickers % wise. They are dome kickers and warm weather kickers. There is a very good reason for that. The conditions in NE are unforgiving, cold, windy, and dead pockets of air. How many kickers have we seen come into NE and fail trying to kick balls that look like knuckle balls heading towards the uprights? A middle of the road % kicker in NE is a great feat everywhere but here apparently. You should really look up Veniteri's numbers in NE sometime as he missed more FGs than Ghost especially long ones.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Z, look at the top kickers % wise. They are dome kickers and warm weather kickers. There is a very good reason for that. The conditions in NE are unforgiving, cold, windy, and dead pockets of air. How many kickers have we seen come into NE and fail trying to kick balls that look like knuckle balls heading towards the uprights? A middle of the road % kicker in NE is a great feat everywhere but here apparently. You should really look up Veniteri's numbers in NE sometime as he missed more FGs than Ghost especially long ones.

Hey PEng, 

Well, I'm always willing to give a Patriot the benefit of the doubt, but the theory (based on NE weather) is just not jibing wit the facts of his kicks. 

1.) Of his missed kicks last season none were in weather colder than 42 degrees, the others were all in the 60s and 70s.

2.) Of his missed kicks last season none were in wind faster than 7 MPH, and the others after that were 1, 2, and 1 MPH wind days. 

3.) Of his missed kicks none featured precipitation effects, he is 100% kicking in the rain/snow on his career. 

4.) All of his missed kicks happened on artificial surfaces. 

5.) His FG Home % is better than his FG Road % 85.2 to 83.

6.) His "dome" kicking splits are only 2% higher than his outdoors, meaning he is a subpar kicker in domes too. 

7.) His worst kicking percentages come in September and November when weather runs mild not cold, nor windy like December, January, and February.

8.) His "windy" kicking percentage is only 2% less than his overall, meaning it probably only brings him down a percent of a percent total, given that it's less than a quarter of his total kicks. In fact, the 2% difference is likely neglible and an aspect of sample variation. 

Of the top 10 kickers last season only two played in domes, and one is an open dome in Dallas.

The rest of the top five were from such good weather cities as Washington DC and Cleveland, Ohio, and Oakland, CA. All of them had fg% above 90. 

The deal breaker? 

Missed kicks of 36, but 49, 42, 49, 42. He has no accuracy after 40. We can dream up hypothetical Nor'Easters that he is kickign into, but in those conditions you punt, and most FG opportunities over 35 are really not attempted unless it's last ditch. 

Adam V, by the way, was a really overrated kicker. He made three really big kicks in the playoffs. After that ... he was just an average kicker by any measure. I was glad when they didn't pay him. Sad to see a guy who won here go, but glad they didn't pay that crazy contract to an average kicker. 

Long story short ... he is a JAG that Pats fans on this board love for some reason. Also, your contention about him being a cold weather kicker who misses because of it doesn't hold water statistically. There are other, far, far better cold weather kickers who also have great percentages. 

Sadly, I'd love to give Ghost a pass ... but again ... he is average, really. Totally replaceable. In fact, it's an area I would be actively trying to improve via the draft, because I don't think he is even clutch. I think he gets nerved up by big kicks ... something that (at least) you couldn't say about Adam V.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Also, it's not to say I don't think NE could live with him. They could, and have. But they could stand to improve on the position. 

He had a really good start to his career ... but has diminished progressively. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Hey PEng, 

Well, I'm always willing to give a Patriot the benefit of the doubt, but the theory (based on NE weather) is just not jibing wit the facts of his kicks. 

1.) Of his missed kicks last season none were in weather colder than 42 degrees, the others were all in the 60s and 70s.

2.) Of his missed kicks last season none were in wind faster than 7 MPH, and the others after that were 1, 2, and 1 MPH wind days. 

3.) Of his missed kicks none featured precipitation effects, he is 100% kicking in the rain/snow on his career. 

6.) His "dome" kicking splits are only 2% higher than his outdoors, meaning he is a subpar kicker in domes too. 

7.) His worst kicking percentages come in September and November when weather runs mild not cold, nor windy like December, January, and February.

8.) His "windy" kicking percentage is only 2% less than his overall, meaning it probably only brings him down a percent of a percent total, given that it's less than a quarter of his total kicks. In fact, the 2% difference is likely neglible and an aspect of sample variation. 

Of the top 10 kickers last season only two played in domes, and one is an open dome in Dallas.

The rest of the top five were from such good weather cities as Washington DC and Cleveland, Ohio, and Oakland, CA. All of them had fg% above 90. 

The deal breaker? 

Missed kicks of 36, but 49, 42, 49, 42. He has no accuracy after 40. We can dream up hypothetical Nor'Easters that he is kickign into, but in those conditions you punt, and most FG opportunities over 35 are really not attempted unless it's last ditch. 

Adam V, by the way, was a really overrated kicker. He made three really big kicks in the playoffs. After that ... he was just an average kicker by any measure. I was glad when they didn't pay him. Sad to see a guy who won here go, but glad they didn't pay that crazy contract to an average kicker. 

Long story short ... he is a JAG that Pats fans on this board love for some reason. Also, your contention about him being a cold weather kicker who misses because of it doesn't hold water statistically. There are other, far, far better cold weather kickers who also have great percentages. 

Sadly, I'd love to give Ghost a pass ... but again ... he is average, really. Totally replaceable. In fact, it's an area I would be actively trying to improve via the draft, because I don't think he is even clutch. I think he gets nerved up by big kicks ... something that (at least) you couldn't say about Adam V.  

Adam V, by the way, was a really overrated kicker. He made three really big kicks in the playoffs. After that ... he was just an average kicker by any measure.

hmmm....

Sad to see a guy who won here go, but glad they didn't pay that crazy contract to an average kicker.

yes so he went to indy and won another ring!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey PEng, 

Isn't that good for us in the playoffs in NE?

The deal breaker? 

I never said his misses were due to cold weather but you missed the flip side of the coin completely. If his misses come in warm weather and early in the season that means he is a better cold weather kicker. Your points 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8 all point to him being a good kicker for this team and this region of the country. Cold weather kickers are very hard to find and since we are in NE I'd rather have a kicker who misses early in the season and nails it in cold weather late in the season than the other way around

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

If there was a better option to Ghost I would hop on it in a second, he is now called ghost because he disappears in big moments.

If he's that bad, don't you agree that BB should make it a top priority to replace him? I still harken back to SB 42, when BB opted to go for a 4th and 13, rather than have the Ghost attempt a 49 yard FG, in a domed stadium.

Though Gostkowski has a strong leg and creates a lot of touck-backs on kick-offs, it's seemingly an adventure every time he tees up a FG. Some other poster gloated that The Ghost has one of the highest success ratings with FGs, at 84%. But, because of the Pats prolific offense, how many of these are chip shots?  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Hey PEng, 

The deal breaker? 

How many FGA does Vinteri have in his career from 45+? People are upset that Ghost misses left or right field goals that other kickers would put in the end zone. When you miss two 49ers I can't get that angry.

Sections
Shortcuts