Giants Acquire LB Keith Rivers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Giants Acquire LB Keith Rivers

The rumor that the Giants have an interest in acquiring Cincinnati LB Keith Rivers had legs, as the G-men have acquired him for just a 5th round pick:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/11/bengals-trade-keith-rivers-to-giants-for-fifth-round-pick/

Rivers was the 9th overall pick in the 2008 draft, taken one spot ahead of Jerod Mayo: http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/04/rumors_abound_of_potential_gia.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Giants to Acquire LB Keith Rivers?

Keith Rivers was the No. 9 pick in the draft but he shouldn't cost more than a late-round pick via trade.

gregg rosenthal

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Giants to Acquire LB Keith Rivers?:
    gregg rosenthal   ‏   @ ( NFL.com)   Reply     Retweet     Favorite   ·   Open Keith Rivers was the No. 9 pick in the draft but he shouldn't cost more than a late-round pick via trade.  
    Posted by Rocky

Wouldn't Rivers be an interesting fit in New England? He has the size that BB likes in a LB (6'2', 245lbs.), and probably could play in a 3-4 or 4-3 system.

Talk about depreciation...a former 9th overall pick still in his prime going for a low 4th or 5th round pick. Of course, if a team acquires Rivers through trade, they're stuck with his salary:
    8/5/2008: Signed a six-year, $20.1 million contract. The deal includes $15.6 million guaranteed. Another $2.9 million is available through incentives. 2012: $2.16 million, 2013: Free Agent 
    http://www.rotoworld.com/stats/nfl/4728/keith-rivers

Rivers will be an UFA next season.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's more on Rivers: http://www.giants101.com/2012/04/11/new-york-giants-cincinnati-bengals-discussing-trade-for-keith-rivers/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

After Rivers had his clock cleaned by Hines Ward he has looked a little lost on the field. Mayo was a much better pick then Rivers. We could have had either at 8 but traded back if I remember correctly.
    Rivers had some off field stuff as well. Good find Tex.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In Response to Re: Giants to Acquire LB Keith Rivers?:
    After Rivers had his clock cleaned by Hines Ward he has looked a little lost on the field. Mayo was a much better pick then Rivers. We could have had either at 8 but traded back if I remember correctly. Rivers had some off field stuff as well. Good find Tex.
    Posted by Philskiw1

The one reason ive always hated hines ward. Rivers was an up and coming player when HW cheap shot/ blind sided rivers and broke his jaw. And Ward was always the first one to complain when he got his clock cleaned. But to the point, if rivers could be had for a low round pick i def think it would be worth a shot for the pats to try and acquire him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Giants Acquire LB Keith Rivers

Rivers is a NY Giant: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/11/bengals-trade-keith-rivers-to-giants-for-fifth-round-pick/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

why can't we make pick ups like that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

All in all, a very good day for the G-men, who just added depth to their OL with the addition of Sean Locklear: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/11/giants-sign-sean-locklear/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Mayo's been doing okay. Didn't make quite as big an impact on d this year as I would have liked.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

tks 4 the update TexasPat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think that going for a 5th there must be more off field stuff. The Bengals had a serviceable D.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Yawwwnnnn....

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to Re: Giants Acquire LB Keith Rivers:
    why can't we make pick ups like that?
    Posted by Hoier

the reason he was traded was because the bengals didn't want to cut him and eat his contract.  by trading him they get a pick and are free of his contract

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Guess they were looking to add some mediocrity to their roster.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Glad that we ended up with Mayo, Rivers looked good at USC but not so much with the Bengals. It looked like the hit he took from Ward messed him up some.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In Response to Re: Giants Acquire LB Keith Rivers : added Molden too...I am very satisfied indeed!
    Posted by JintsFan

I believe these are all solid pick ups for a Superbowl champion team. I don't know why they have the money to do it but they obviously are working the cap better than NE. Giants have Eli who would be on similar money to Brady, a very good wide recieving corp and 1 of the all time great D lines. I remember NE had to make a choice between Seymour and Wilfork - Why because they had Brady. Where is the money going in NE???? Parcells built that great defense the BB inherited now BB is doing a poor job of rebuilding the defense.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In Response to Re: Giants Acquire LB Keith Rivers : btw dont let rusty hear ur bellichick comment he'll go up a tree!  you'll NEVER hear the end of it 
    Posted by JintsFan

I really expected BB to make a splash in FA on defense this year and get that game changing playmaker on defense that they have been missing since losing the likes of Harrison,Law,Bruschi,Vrabel and Mcginiest. They had the perfect opportunity with Mario Williams being available but not only don't they get him and have to face him twice a year but lose 1 of the only defensive players making sacks and getting pressure on opposition QB's in Anderson. Other teams including the Giants have about 5 expensive playmakers on D and NE have 1 in Wilfork and that apparently stops them going after anyone else. It doesn't make sense. Too much is expected of Brady and the throw the ball everywhere offense when we have seen that in a big end of season game a good defense can stop them. And noway Mayo is a game changer on defense. He is an average linebacker.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Giants Acquire LB Keith Rivers":
    In Response to Re: Giants Acquire LB Keith Rivers : I really expected BB to make a splash in FA on defense this year and get that game changing playmaker on defense that they have been missing since losing the likes of Harrison,Law,Bruschi,Vrabel and Mcginiest. They had the perfect opportunity with Mario Williams being available but not only don't they get him and have to face him twice a year but lose 1 of the only defensive players making sacks and getting pressure on opposition QB's in Anderson. Other teams including the Giants have about 5 expensive playmakers on D and NE have 1 in Wilfork and that apparently stops them going after anyone else. It doesn't make sense. Too much is expected of Brady and the throw the ball everywhere offense when we have seen that in a big end of season game a good defense can stop them. And noway Mayo is a game changer on defense. He is an average linebacker. Posted by Brad34
    The last time he did this it was when Adalius was picked up and Pundits and fans hailed it as the greatest move ever. Somehow when these free agents hit the market they get blown up into more than they ever were. Julius Peppers was a must have, then Brandon Marshall, and so on and now it's Mario Williams. While all of those players are good I can't really say they were ever as good as the hype surrounding their free agency and the huge contracts they got and didn't live up to. Williams has never really been dominant and I suspect he never will be. He's good, his name recognition comes from being a first overall pick and not from being as dominant as players like Ware, and Allen. I can't really think of the last time a high priced free agent signed his contract and actually lived up to expectations. Owens in Philly maybe?

Sections
Shortcuts