Giants' Game Huge For Several Current Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Giants' Game Huge For Several Current Pats

Though many view the final preseason game as meaningless, it's a life or death game for Pats' players fighting for a few remaining roster spots. Here are some battles that are worth watching:

1.) James Develin v. Brandon Bolden: RBs James Develin and Brandon Bolden know that they must shine on Thursday night. One of them at most will earn a spot. Of the two, Develin, a throw back FB, has looked better in the preseason games. Bolden's ball security issues last week in Detroit really hurt him. But, his abilities on special teams may save him, with a good rushing performance on Thursday;

2.) Tim Tebow: In what may be his final game in the pros, Tebow must impress to have any chance of earning a roster spot. Another clunker like he had against Tampa Bay would likely finish him. He has no practice squad eligibility. So, it's either earn a roster spot, or be gone. Josh McDaniels loves him...and BB would like to keep him around in order to have a practice QB, who can help to prepare the "D" for read option type teams;

3.) Michael Hoomanawanui v. Daniel Fells: With Zach Sudfelds and Jake Ballard likely to stick, and the availability of Gronk still a question mark, at least one or both of these guys may be cut. Personally, I'd prefer that Gronk be placed on the PUP list, so that, when he eventually returns, the odds are greater that he'll be 100%. In any event, it would appear that Hoomanawanui has the edge, based on the fact that he's four (4) years younger. If one or both of these guys gets cut, they will most certainly be picked up by other TE needy teams, such as the Ravens, Jets, and Dolphins;     

4.) Jake Bequette v. Michael Buchanan v. Jermaine Cunningham: One of these three will stick, and, possibly two, if BB still has faith in Cunningham. The fact that Cunningham was caught using performance enhancing drugs last year should work against him. The loser of the Bequette/Buchanan battle may make it to the practice squad.

5.) Jeff Tarpinian v. Mike Rivera v. Steve Beauharnais: BB could try to sneak Beauharnais on the practice squad. But, Jeff Tarpinian still has practice squad eligibility, and may be easier to slip through waivers. Five LBs appear to be locks to make the team: Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher, Hightower, and rookie Jamie Collins. Rivera made the team last year, primarily due to Dane Fletcher being lost for the season due to a knee injury. With Fletcher back, and seemingly fully recovered, Rivera's days as a Patriot may be numbered. Both he and Tarpinian are effective special teamers. Will the Patriots choose to keep seven (7) LBs? 

6.) Scott Vellone v. Joe Vellano: The Pats are paper thin at DT. So, these guys have a golden opportunity to earn a roster spot with an impressive performance against the Giants;

7.) Marquice Cole v. Ras-I Dowling v Tavon Wilson: Does BB continue to pray for Dowling's return to good health? Does BB put Dowling on the PUP list (again), delaying his decision? Wilson has been terrible in the preseason games. But, because he was such a high draft choice, and the fact that it would cost the Pats more to release him than to keep him, we'll likely have to endure him for one more year.        

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

Re: Giants' Game Huge For Several Current Pats

If Tebow's status was uncertain, he'd have played against the Lions.

If Tebow is going to be cut, he won't be on the roster when the Giants game starts.

Dreaming the Impossible Dream

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Will-Redd's comment:

If Tebow's status was uncertain, he'd have played against the Lions.

If Tebow is going to be cut, he won't be on the roster when the Giants game starts.

Dreaming the Impossible Dream

They won't play Brady (maybe a series at most) and you can't have your only backup play an entire preseason game and risk him going down. As most believe Tebow will be kept just to take reps in the Giants game just to make sure we don't have a Bills/Jets situation with their backups. BTW that game 3 I think was telling though in that Tebow didn't play. Usually if you plan on keeping a guy on the team they will play game 3 because that's the closest to a regular season game you can get. If a player is healthy and doesn't play that's generally not a good sign for them

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

2.) Tim Tebow: In what may be his final game in the pros, Tebow must impress to have any chance of earning a roster spot. Another clunker like he had against Tampa Bay would likely finish him. He has no practice squad eligibility. So, it's either earn a roster spot, or be gone. Josh McDaniels loves him...and BB would like to keep him around in order to have a practice QB, who can help to prepare the "D" for read option type teams;    

I still don't get this logic. If the QB can't throw the ball then what's the difference between using him as a practice QB and say a Bolden just to practice the run option? Honestly there is no point in using a guy that can't actually replicate option QBs to practice against if the threat of throwing the ball isn't there. Heck I think even Bolden can hit the receivers 25% of the time like Tebow so far this preseason

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think there are 5 spots undecided...and they will not be decided until the waiver wire is scoured.

not sure anyone makes the team or not based on the Giants game...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Though many view the final preseason game as meaningless, it's a life or death game for Pats' players fighting for a few remaining roster spots. Here are some battles that are worth watching:

1.) James Develin v. Brandon Bolden: RBs James Develin and Brandon Bolden know that they must shine on Thursday night. One of them at most will earn a spot. Of the two, Develin, a throw back FB, has looked better in the preseason games. Bolden's ball security issues last week in Detroit really hurt him. But, his abilities on special teams may save him, with a good rushing performance on Thursday;

3.) Michael Hoomanawanui v. Daniel Fells: With Zach Sudfelds and Jake Ballard likely to stick, and the availability of Gronk still a question mark, at least one or both of these guys may be cut. Personally, I'd prefer that Gronk be placed on the PUP list, so that, when he eventually returns, the odds are greater that he'll be 100%. In any event, it would appear that Hoomanawanui has the edge, based on the fact that he's four (4) years younger. If one or both of these guys gets cut, they will most certainly be picked up by other TE needy teams, such as the Ravens, Jets, and Dolphins;     

4.) Jake Bequette v. Michael Buchanan v. Jermaine Cunningham: One of these three will stick, and, possibly two, if BB still has faith in Cunningham. The fact that Cunningham was caught using performance enhancing drugs last year should work against him. The loser of the Bequette/Buchanan battle may make it to the practice squad.

5.) Jeff Tarpinian v. Mike Rivera v. Steve Beauharnais: BB could try to sneak Beauharnais on the practice squad. But, Jeff Tarpinian still has practice squad eligibility, and may be easier to slip through waivers. Five LBs appear to be locks to make the team: Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher, Hightower, and rookie Jamie Collins. Rivera made the team last year, primarily due to Dane Fletcher being lost for the season due to a knee injury. With Fletcher back, and seemingly fully recovered, Rivera's days as a Patriot may be numbered. Both he and Tarpinian are effective special teamers. Will the Patriots choose to keep seven (7) LBs? 

6.) Scott Vellone v. Joe Vellano: The Pats are paper thin at DT. So, these guys have a golden opportunity to earn a roster spot with an impressive performance against the Giants;

7.) Marquice Cole v. Ras-I Dowling v Tavon Wilson: Does BB continue to pray for Dowling's return to good health? Does BB put Dowling on the PUP list (again), delaying his decision? Wilson has been terrible in the preseason games. But, because he was such a high draft choice, and the fact that it would cost the Pats more to release him than to keep him, we'll likely have to endure him for one more year.        

Some good analysis until i got to the Tayvon Wilson write up. I will be the first to admit he has not had a good camp and agree that it would be counter productive to the cap to cut him... but "edure him for 1 more year"? The guy played 43% of the snaps last year many of those snaps were productive. Among all rookie safeties he was tied in take a ways with 6 and was a key contributor on multiple special teams, IMO I think it would be a mistake to write this kid off now. From what i saw last year he has definite room for improvement in certain areas, especially in zone coverage on the deep ball but he is already a sure tackler and is descent in single coverage against TE's and has the ability to make plays... i think he can play in this league.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some good analysis until i got to the Tayvon Wilson write up. I will be the first to admit he has not had a good camp and agree that it would be counter productive to the cap to cut him... but "edure him for 1 more year"? The guy played 43% of the snaps last year many of those snaps were productive. Among all rookie safeties he was tied in take a ways with 6 and was a key contributor on multiple special teams, IMO I think it would be a mistake to write this kid off now. From what i saw last year he has definite room for improvement in certain areas, especially in zone coverage on the deep ball but he is already a sure tackler and is descent in single coverage against TE's and has the ability to make plays... i think he can play in this league.

RESPONSE: Wilson is awful. The fact that he played 43% of the snaps for the Pats on "D" last year is part of the reason why the Pats' pass defense finished 29th in the league. I realize that the truth sometimes hurts...and the truth is, he can't cover. Wish I were wrong.

QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Wilson is awful. The fact that he played 43% of the snaps for the Pats on "D" last year is part of the reason why the Pats' pass defense finished 29th in the league. I realize that the truth sometimes hurts...and the truth is, he can't cover. Wish I were wrong.

QUOTE]

The truth is he was drafted earlier than he should have been and people hold that against him. He actually covers fine in man situations and is a very good safety against the run. his issues come in zone responsibilities which are correctable. Unless you are a player personnel evaluator or scout for an NFL team your opinion is no more valid than mine. That is the truth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The truth is he was drafted earlier than he should have been and people hold that against him. He actually covers fine in man situations and is a very good safety against the run. his issues come in zone responsibilities which are correctable...That is the truth.

I wish this were the case. But, Wilson has had a horrible training camp. He has been relegated to play with 2nd and 3rd stringers. He's been even worse in the preseason games, and was torched repeatedly in the Tampa Bay game.

The above are facts, not "opinions".  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My tea leaves say that Tebow is on the inside of the bubble. 

BB doesn't say bad things about him, in practice.

I know that preseason games are fake products.  In some games, both sides are desperate to run into the kicker on fourth down.  For other teams, everybody on the team has to lend a hand in deliberately fumbling, throwing passes into the dirt and missing tackles.  That way the statistics look uniformly bad.  Tim Tebow has nothing whatsoever new to prove to Josh McDaniels so he's a Black Sox suspect along with the rest of the veterans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

The truth is he was drafted earlier than he should have been and people hold that against him. He actually covers fine in man situations and is a very good safety against the run. his issues come in zone responsibilities which are correctable...That is the truth.

I wish this were the case. But, Wilson has had a horrible training camp. He has been relegated to play with 2nd and 3rd stringers. He's been even worse in the preseason games, and was torched repeatedly in the Tampa Bay game.

The above are facts, not "opinions".  

Horrible??? I would say he hasn't been great (that is not horrible) in camp and has had an average pre-season to date. i was at the TB game and he wasn't torched as you put it. As a matter of fact he did his job with coverage over the top early in the 3rd  Qtr and made Glennon overthrow a deep pattern.  When I went back and re-watched the game  he didn't stand out one way or another he had a couple of nice plays and a few plays where he could have made better decisions. Just because you say he was "torched repeatedly"does not make it "fact". Sorry, your opinion is no more valid than mine on this subject

Just because you didn't and don't like the pick doesn't make it bad or good. Only his production will determine that and so far all we have to go on is his 1st year which for a rookie safety wasn't that bad.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

I know that preseason games are fake products.  In some games, both sides are desperate to run into the kicker on fourth down.  For other teams, everybody on the team has to lend a hand in deliberately fumbling, throwing passes into the dirt and missing tackles.  That way the statistics look uniformly bad.  Tim Tebow has nothing whatsoever new to prove to Josh McDaniels so he's a Black Sox suspect along with the rest of the veterans.

You honestly believe that a guy who couldn't get more than the Pats interested in him intentionally had a 0.0 QBR game with negative passing yards and an int? Why would he intentionally tank his career like that? It's clear he's the #3 QB and this is his last shot in the league so why would he intentionally play worse than Jeff Tuel? Paul you are smarter than that. It's not just the preseason games either, from all reports Tebow has stunk in practice and has regressed even from his Den days, which weren't great to begin with.

Btw I'm not sure I've ever heard BB say something bad about any player, just "there are things he needs to improve on". Actually I remember a number of times that BB complimented and pointed out good play of specific players in camp then cut them the following week.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Good write up TP.   Aren't you going to make predictions?

Here are mine...

1.) James Develin v. Brandon Bolden: Up until last game it was Boulden all the way.  Then the fumble and things got a bit tighter.  I still think Bolden has the edge here unless he has another fumble in this weeks game or some other big mistake.  My pick: Bolden

2.) Tim Tebow: Tebow makes the team.  It was decided long ago that he would be on the team.  However, if he has another terrible showing then he is gone.  They put in a special offense for him, he really didn't run it against the Bucs, not like he did in game 1.  Seemed watered down.  He will have a nice showing this week vs the Giants.  My Pick: Tebow makes the 53. 

3.) Michael Hoomanawanui v. Daniel Fells:  I have seen good things from both players but Fells had a good showing in game 1.  I think he can catch better.  But then he missed some practice time.  This is a tough one.  Hooman is a Josh McD guy so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the nod over Fells.  My pick: Fells I am going to change my mind here and go Hooman here.  Younger, more versatile, and again a Josh McD guy.  

4.) Jake Bequette v. Michael Buchanan v. Jermaine Cunningham: I have always thought Cunningham looked good when I would watch him play but I don't think he is play as high as BB expects him to.  And yeah, the PEDS could have him on a short leash in this long race.  My pick: Buchanan.  Has looked better from what little I have seen but from what I am reading he has looked better all around.

5.) Jeff Tarpinian v. Mike Rivera v. Steve Beauharnais: My pick: Beauharnais due to special teams work.

6.) Scott Vellone v. Joe Vellano: My pick: Neither one.  

7.) Marquice Cole v. Ras-I Dowling v Tavon Wilson:  Logan Ryan has looked better then all 3 of these guys (because Ras-I has been out) and will make the 53 man roster.  But one of these 3 guys will also.  I'm not ready to give up on Dowling just yet unless he is injured between now and roster cuts.  I don't like Coles at all and Wilson is a no go from me too.  My pick:  Ras-I Dowling

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Horrible??? I would say he hasn't been great (that is not horrible) in camp and has had an average pre-season to date. i was at the TB game and he wasn't torched as you put it. As a matter of fact he did his job with coverage over the top early in the 3rd  Qtr and made Glennon overthrow a deep pattern.  When I went back and re-watched the game  he didn't stand out one way or another he had a couple of nice plays and a few plays where he could have made better decisions. Just because you say he was "torched repeatedly"does not make it "fact".

RESPONSE: He's been dropped down on the depth chart...that's a fact. As for his play in the Tampa games, sorry...but he was awful: "The progress just isn’t showing up. Wilson was made to look bad on three consecutive plays on a Tampa Bay scoring drive, including the touchdown pass to David Douglas, and was whistled for a holding penalty in the end zone that gave the Bucs new life".  http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2013/08/stock_watch_brandon_spikes_dan.html

Just because you didn't and don't like the pick doesn't make it bad or good. Only his production will determine that and so far all we have to go on is his 1st year which for a rookie safety wasn't that bad.

RESPONSE: My statements about his play have nothing to do with the fact that I felt he was drafted too high, and didn't like the pick. It's based on the facts previously stated. His "production" has been so poor that he's being relegated to play with the scrubs. In truth, I wish that he'd had turned out to be a good player...but...  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Horrible??? I would say he hasn't been great (that is not horrible) in camp and has had an average pre-season to date. i was at the TB game and he wasn't torched as you put it. As a matter of fact he did his job with coverage over the top early in the 3rd  Qtr and made Glennon overthrow a deep pattern.  When I went back and re-watched the game  he didn't stand out one way or another he had a couple of nice plays and a few plays where he could have made better decisions. Just because you say he was "torched repeatedly"does not make it "fact".

RESPONSE: He's been dropped down on the depth chart...that's a fact. As for his play in the Tampa games, sorry...but he was awful: "The progress just isn’t showing up. Wilson was made to look bad on three consecutive plays on a Tampa Bay scoring drive, including the touchdown pass to David Douglas, and was whistled for a holding penalty in the end zone that gave the Bucs new life".  http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2013/08/stock_watch_brandon_spikes_dan.html

RESPONSE: My statements about his play have nothing to do with the fact that I felt he was drafted too high, and didn't like the pick. It's based on the facts previously stated. His "production" has been so poor that he's being relegated to play with the scrubs. In truth, I wish that he'd had turned out to be a good player...but...  

okay we can go back and fourth all day...

Rookie cornerback Justin Green had the coverage of David Douglas, with safety Tavon Wilson over the top in deep coverage. The throw was put in a decent spot, and the coverage was fine, too. What the most important aspect from this view was that Wilson was in the vicinity of the play, tracking the throw and getting to his spot.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4746897/picked-up-pieces-after-second-half-review-5

As far as his production goes we have one year to base it on and the FACT is he led (tied) all rookie safeties in takeaways. He played 43% of the snaps and was a valuable member of all the special team units.

Bottom line TP until they cut him the only evaluations that matter are that of his coaches and the only way to measure his production is by stats and playing time.

Until then we are just going to agree to disagree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Quite brilliant assessment. I am sure all those players trying to have a job just love to look bad.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: You're right. we just need to agree to disagree...and move on.

As far as his production goes we have one year to base it on and the FACT is he led (tied) all rookie safeties in takeaways. He played 43% of the snaps and was a valuable member of all the special team units.

RESPONSE: All "In Bill We Trust" true believers point out that Wilson had 4 picks in 10 games. But, if he was so good, why did BB drop him down on the depth chart after Aqib Talib arrived? Why is Steve Gregory playing ahead of him? Why was another SS, Duron Harmon, drafted with the 91st overall pick? Why did the Pats' spend decent money to land 33 year old Adrian Wilson, who the Cardinals considered to be washed up? Why is rookie Duron Harmon currently playing ahead of T. Wilson? 

Bottom line TP until they cut him the only evaluations that matter are that of his coaches and the only way to measure his production is by stats and playing time. Until then we are just going to agree to disagree.

RESPONSE: Fair enough. No hard feelings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

RESPONSE: You're right. we just need to agree to disagree...and move on.

RESPONSE: All "In Bill We Trust" true believers point out that Wilson had 4 picks in 10 games. But, if he was so good, why did BB drop him down on the depth chart after Aqib Talib arrived? Why is Steve Gregory playing ahead of him? Why was another SS, Duron Harmon, drafted with the 91st overall pick? Why did the Pats' spend decent money to land 33 year old Adrian Wilson, who the Cardinals considered to be washed up? Why is rookie Duron Harmon currently playing ahead of T. Wilson? 

Bottom line TP until they cut him the only evaluations that matter are that of his coaches and the only way to measure his production is by stats and playing time. Until then we are just going to agree to disagree.

RESPONSE: Fair enough. No hard feelings.

No problem. i believe as long as we keep it civil this is exactly what this site is designed for. I think it is great to have this type of debate on a player  or issue regarding the pat's.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Does the clock run out for Tim Tebow, after Thursday night's game? http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/tim-tebow-tries-to-crack-new-england-patriots-roster-one-last-shot-preseason-vs-new-york-giants-082613

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The fix is in, Tebow makes the squad because he wasn't ever competing for a spot. He was here so BB can evaluate his ability and see where he needs work. The way BB talks about this guy is painful. He's "outstanding", "unique", a "joy to have around".

Whe BB said, with a serious face, that Tebow's 1-7, -1 yards and an INT was "showing improvement" and yelled at the reporters for not having seen what he "sees in practice everyday so they can't be the ones who evaluate his improvement due to them not seeing the 'complete package'" was the day I gave up and gave in to Tim Tebow's inevitability role in the final 53. 

BB doesn't care if he is terrible or masterful on thursday, Tebow is in.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

TP

Good post that catalyzes the main issues of the team and sentiments of the posters. I also like the tone you created with a non-blaming atmosphere. Keep it up!

NYC

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

The fix is in, Tebow makes the squad because he wasn't ever competing for a spot. He was here so BB can evaluate his ability and see where he needs work. The way BB talks about this guy is painful. He's "outstanding", "unique", a "joy to have around".

Whe BB said, with a serious face, that Tebow's 1-7, -1 yards and an INT was "showing improvement" and yelled at the reporters for not having seen what he "sees in practice everyday so they can't be the ones who evaluate his improvement due to them not seeing the 'complete package'" was the day I gave up and gave in to Tim Tebow's inevitability role in the final 53. 

BB doesn't care if he is terrible or masterful on thursday, Tebow is in.

If this is it, I accept it. If BB gets energy and inspiration from him, I can imagine that will translate in the long run to the teams performance.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Nice post and a good list Pat.  Comments made below each.

[QUOTE]

I don't know and don't care on with one makes it.  Either one would be servicable.  Bloden may have the up here because of just what you said, special teams.

May make it as a practice QB makes perfect sense for all the read option type teams.  I hadn't thought of that and thought that he was a goner.  Tebow might just make it just because of that.  Wow!

This is a hard one at first glance but perhaps not.  Fells didn't have a real good year last year to help him build on something.  The Hoo-man did.  Hoomanawanui sticks IMHO.    

I was so happy when the Pats got Bequette and at the time thought it was one of those steals.  Turns out, for what ever reason, I was very wrong.  I wish I knew more about what happened with him.  I've got to say Bequette and Cunningham are the ones to be cut.

I would have to say that Rivera is gone.  Between Tarpinian and Beauharnais I don't know.  Leave it in the lap on the gods I guess.

To tell you the truth I don't see either one of these guys having an impressive day against the Giants.  They just aren't that good.  I don't know why more wasn't done on this position in the off season.

I don't see how Dowling sticks.  A major tease.  Get rid of the problem.  I don't see why they would keep Wilson just because of his draft position.  I don't think BB works that way.  He wants the best players out there.       

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

do we really care about these bubble scrubs , bottom of the roster 3rd stringers?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

2.) Tim Tebow: In what may be his final game in the pros, Tebow must impress to have any chance of earning a roster spot. Another clunker like he had against Tampa Bay would likely finish him.

This is not necessarily the case.

Sections
Shortcuts