Giants' Game Huge For Several Current Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Giants' Game Huge For Several Current Pats

In response to garytx's comment:

6.) Scott Vellone v. Joe Vellano: The Pats are paper thin at DT. So, these guys have a golden opportunity to earn a roster spot with an impressive performance against the Giants;

To tell you the truth I don't see either one of these guys having an impressive day against the Giants.  They just aren't that good.  I don't know why more wasn't done on this position in the off season.

RESPONSE: If one or both of these guys get cut, the Pats will need to scour the waiver wire, or make a trade for another DT. 

7.) Marquice Cole v. Ras-I Dowling v Tavon Wilson: Does BB continue to pray for Dowling's return to good health? Does BB put Dowling on the PUP list (again), delaying his decision? Wilson has been terrible in the preseason games. But, because he was such a high draft choice, and the fact that it would cost the Pats more to release him than to keep him, we'll likely have to endure him for one more year.  

I don't see how Dowling sticks.  A major tease.  Get rid of the problem.  I don't see why they would keep Wilson just because of his draft position.  I don't think BB works that way.  He wants the best players out there.       

RESPONSE: Why would Ras-I stick? Because the Pats have so much invested in him, selecting him with the first pick of the second round, in the 2011 draft. Furthermore, CBs who are over 6'1" tall and fast are a rare commodity. Finally, in his all too rare appearances on the field, Ras-I has demonstrated that he an play. For these reasons, I look for BB to either put him on the PUP list, and bring him back in week 6...or put him on the roster.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Tebow is here to exorcise the demons. So far so good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

[QUOTE]

6.) Scott Vellone v. Joe Vellano: The Pats are paper thin at DT. So, these guys have a golden opportunity to earn a roster spot with an impressive performance against the Giants;

To tell you the truth I don't see either one of these guys having an impressive day against the Giants.  They just aren't that good.  I don't know why more wasn't done on this position in the off season.

RESPONSE: If one or both of these guys get cut, the Pats will need to scour the waiver wire, or make a trade for another DT. 

7.) Marquice Cole v. Ras-I Dowling v Tavon Wilson: Does BB continue to pray for Dowling's return to good health? Does BB put Dowling on the PUP list (again), delaying his decision? Wilson has been terrible in the preseason games. But, because he was such a high draft choice, and the fact that it would cost the Pats more to release him than to keep him, we'll likely have to endure him for one more year.  

I don't see how Dowling sticks.  A major tease.  Get rid of the problem.  I don't see why they would keep Wilson just because of his draft position.  I don't think BB works that way.  He wants the best players out there.       

RESPONSE: Why would Ras-I stick? Because the Pats have so much invested in him, selecting him with the first pick of the second round, in the 2011 draft. Furthermore, CBs who are over 6'1" tall and fast are a rare commodity. Finally, in his all too rare appearances on the field, Ras-I has demonstrated that he an play. For these reasons, I look for BB to either put him on the PUP list, and bring him back in week 6...or put him on the roster.  

I expect them to probably keep at least one of the DTs but the waiver wire will be getting attention...or should be.  Like I said, I was surprised that more wasn't done in the off season for this position.

Ras-I is a talent but a talent who doesn't see the field.  That's why I called him a tease.  He was a high risk, high reward guy.  After re-evaluating the situation though he has one more year on his contract.  Put him on the PUP and keep one of the other guys.  But if he can't complete this year he'll never be able to complete any year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Ras-I is a talent but a talent who doesn't see the field.  That's why I called him a tease.  He was a high risk, high reward guy.  After re-evaluating the situation though he has one more year on his contract.  Put him on the PUP and keep one of the other guys.  But if he can't complete this year he'll never be able to complete any year.

I agree. If he doesn't contribute this year, he's gone. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Why do people keep mentioning him? Has he even played in the preseason or been practicing?

He's gone or at least should be. The only justification is Dennard's unknown situation.

He's been practicing since last week, he is playing for a spot. I can see him playing all four quarters, the problem is, he'll get hurt by the second quarter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Good write up TP.   Aren't you going to make predictions?

Here are mine...

1.) James Develin v. Brandon Bolden: Up until last game it was Boulden all the way.  Then the fumble and things got a bit tighter.  I still think Bolden has the edge here unless he has another fumble in this weeks game or some other big mistake.  My pick: Bolden

2.) Tim Tebow: Tebow makes the team.  It was decided long ago that he would be on the team.  However, if he has another terrible showing then he is gone.  They put in a special offense for him, he really didn't run it against the Bucs, not like he did in game 1.  Seemed watered down.  He will have a nice showing this week vs the Giants.  My Pick: Tebow makes the 53. 

3.) Michael Hoomanawanui v. Daniel Fells:  I have seen good things from both players but Fells had a good showing in game 1.  I think he can catch better.  But then he missed some practice time.  This is a tough one.  Hooman is a Josh McD guy so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the nod over Fells.  My pick: Fells I am going to change my mind here and go Hooman here.  Younger, more versatile, and again a Josh McD guy.  

4.) Jake Bequette v. Michael Buchanan v. Jermaine Cunningham: I have always thought Cunningham looked good when I would watch him play but I don't think he is play as high as BB expects him to.  And yeah, the PEDS could have him on a short leash in this long race.  My pick: Buchanan.  Has looked better from what little I have seen but from what I am reading he has looked better all around.

5.) Jeff Tarpinian v. Mike Rivera v. Steve Beauharnais: My pick: Beauharnais due to special teams work.

6.) Scott Vellone v. Joe Vellano: My pick: Neither one.  

7.) Marquice Cole v. Ras-I Dowling v Tavon Wilson:  Logan Ryan has looked better then all 3 of these guys (because Ras-I has been out) and will make the 53 man roster.  But one of these 3 guys will also.  I'm not ready to give up on Dowling just yet unless he is injured between now and roster cuts.  I don't like Coles at all and Wilson is a no go from me too.  My pick:  Ras-I Dowling

With you on most picks, but I would say Tebow does not make the 53. Vellano takes that spot. They are quite thin at DT.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

With you on most picks, but I would say Tebow does not make the 53. Vellano takes that spot. They are quite thin at DT.

Fair enough.  I'm not 100% sure in my pick when I say Tebow makes it.  I just don't think the Pats take the risk with him in the first place, put in an offense for him and then he doesn't make it.

And now Kraft comes out ands says he hope Tebow makes the team so I think that is the kiss of death, he will be cut. LOL!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Goodbye, Ras-I: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/28/patriots-cut-ras-i-dowling/      

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TexasPat's comment:

[QUOTE]

I expect them to probably keep at least one of the DTs but the waiver wire will be getting attention...or should be.  Like I said, I was surprised that more wasn't done in the off season for this position.

Will you now bow down to my greatness!!!!  lol. 

Amazing how quick these posts move down this time of year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Will you now bow down to my greatness!!!!  lol.   

I so bow! LOL!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

As for Vellano, he showed up well vs Detroit in place for Wilfork, certainly a LOT better than Grissom.

Thought he's showed up better than Forston, too.

I like vellano alot too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Doubtful if Tom Brady, or the majority of the starters, play tonight:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/29/report-tom-brady-wont-play-tonight/ 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Paul_K's comment:

[QUOTE]

My tea leaves say that Tebow is on the inside of the bubble. 

BB doesn't say bad things about him, in practice.

I know that preseason games are fake products.  In some games, both sides are desperate to run into the kicker on fourth down.  For other teams, everybody on the team has to lend a hand in deliberately fumbling, throwing passes into the dirt and missing tackles.  That way the statistics look uniformly bad.  Tim Tebow has nothing whatsoever new to prove to Josh McDaniels so he's a Black Sox suspect along with the rest of the veterans.

You honestly believe that a guy who couldn't get more than the Pats interested in him intentionally had a 0.0 QBR game with negative passing yards and an int? Why would he intentionally tank his career like that? It's clear he's the #3 QB and this is his last shot in the league so why would he intentionally play worse than Jeff Tuel? Paul you are smarter than that. It's not just the preseason games either, from all reports Tebow has stunk in practice and has regressed even from his Den days, which weren't great to begin with.

Btw I'm not sure I've ever heard BB say something bad about any player, just "there are things he needs to improve on". Actually I remember a number of times that BB complimented and pointed out good play of specific players in camp then cut them the following week.

[/QUOTE]

If a one-day score is all that counts in selecting a player, I'm not sure that any of the Patriots veterans should be kept on the 53 man squad.  That 40-9 score has plenty of trash to go all the way around. 

I start from the conviction that Patriot preseason games (and preseason games of most other teams these days) have been Black Soxed for many years now.  Veterans are dropping the football like crazy.  They've beeen commiting fourth down defensive penalties like crazy.  I'm convinced that it all comes to a halt when the regular season starts, except for Buffalo and the Jets of course.

I consider Tim Tebow to be a veteran.  Josh McDaniels knows Tebow's every strength and every weakness from their Denver days.  Tebow isn't on trial as a rook.  I remember BB growling once about Brian Hoyer, "We already know what Hoyer can do."

If Brady is ordered to throw picks and if Mallet has to throw them, Tebow probably has the same marching orders.

The problem with Tebow's 0.0 Detroit 1-game quarterback rating is the good runs that he's been ripping off in the first three games of preseason.  Other quarterbacks don't do this, except for Michael Vick, and Vick doesn't pound defensive guys half as well as a 200 pound Tebow.  A quarterback rating isn't particularly applicable to a runner, especially if he gets used in running subpackages and in game-time running situations.  What Is LaGarrette Blount's quarterback rating? 

Sections
Shortcuts