Giants/Patriots SB PICK

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Giants/Patriots SB PICK

(12-7) N.Y. Giants (+3) v. (15-3) New England Patriots     Coming off going two for two in picking the winners of the conference championship games against the spread, it's time for me to shut out the hype, and turn my full attentions to SB Sunday. Though the Patriots have been installed as three (3) point favorites, it seems like no one...and I mean, NO ONE, is picking them to win. 

If you look at things objectively, how can you blame folks for favoring the Giants? There's that SB 42 win, four years ago...and, in the teams' meeting this year in New England, an injury ravaged Giants' team beat our boys, 20-16, in an eerily familiar way...on a last second TD drive. 

Let's take a closer look at the teams, and some specific match-ups:

I. OFFENSE:

1.) OL: 
    Their Giants' OL had lots of problems last week against the 49ers. But, some say that the 9ers had the best defense in the game this season. Center David Baas, who missed the first game between these two teams, will play this time. Look for the Giants to double team DT Vince Wilfolk, which could open up pass-rushing opportunities for other members of the Patriots' front seven, including DE Mark Anderson, and OLB Rob Ninkovich.
         As for the Pats' OL, don't believe the nonsense that the SB 42 loss has no bearing on this game. It does, and it will. The left side of the Patriots' OL, Matt Light and Logan Mankins, remains from that 18-1 team. They remember how they were embarrassed by Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora and company. This is a particularly huge game for Light. If he plays well, he'll be back next season. If not, he'll likely be gone. As for Mankins, expect him as his meanest.
         Look for the Giants to focus on attacking center Dan Connelly, and the RT spot...where either a wounded Sebastien Vollmer or rookie Nate Solder may be had, by Justin Tuck, and/or Jason Pierre Paul.  
    EDGE: Patriots;     

2.) RBs: Both teams have a good blend of power and speed. The Giants have Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw...while the Patriots put forth Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis, and Danny Woodhead. After a horrible first half of the season, Jacobs and Bradshaw have stepped it up.
    EDGE: Giants;

3.) TEs and WRs: The Giants' trio of Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, and Mario Manningham may be the best set of WRs in the game. Giants' TE Greg Ballard was huge in the Giants' win over the Pats earlier this year. 
         As for the Pats, their passing game revolves around their dynamic TE duo of Rob Gronkowski, and Aaron Hernandez. Tough break for the Pats that Gronk had to had suffered that high ankle sprain two weeks ago. With him less than 100%, their passing offense will suffer. Wes Welker is dynamite in the slot, but the Patriots' WRs leave much to be desired. Deion Branch must step up...particularly if Gronk isn't himself:

4.) QBs: Unlike his more famous brother, Eli Manning has proven himself to be at his best in the clutch. Though not a scrambler, he has great pocket awareness, and is fearless in the pocket. In the past, his accuracy has been questioned. But, no longer. He is one of the top five QBs in the game.
         Tom Brady needs no introduction. For years, Tom has made the most with less. Having no deep threat, and the prospect of suiting up without a healthy Gronkowski, Tom will have to work his magic once again. Coming off a poor game in the AFC championship with the Ravens, look for Tom to be on:
    EDGE: Even;

II. DEFENSE;

1.) DL: 
    The Giants have depth, Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, and rising star, Jason Pierre Paul. The Pats have Mark Anderson, stud DT Vince Wilfolk, and some solid depth as well. Considering that the Pats have the better OL, this may not be as big a mis-match as everyone thinks.
         The key match-ups were discussed in the OL section above. The players that could have a huge impact are Tuck, Pierre Paul, Wilfolk, and Anderson. 

2.) LBs: Eli Manning's heroics aside, OLB Michael Boley was the difference in the first game between these teams, in Foxboro. But, the Giants' may be had inside on runs and swing/flat passes. 
         The Patriots' trio of Rob Ninkovich, Jerod Mayo, and Brandon Spikes have of late resembled Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, and Willie McGinest.

3. SECONDARY: Neither of these units are very good...but both play better when their front 4 is able to apply consistent pressure.

III. SPECIAL TEAMS: 
    Both teams do a good job of covering kicks. Julian Edelman at times can be dangerous as a punt returner for the Pats. In the kicking game, both teams have good punters. Zoltan Mesko's directional kicking ability give the Pats a slight edge. Regarding the place kickers, Lawrence Tines has made several big kicks during his career...including OT game-winners in Green Bay in 2007, and two weeks ago against the 49ers. Stephen Gostkowski has yet to be placed in such a position:
    EDGE: Even;

IV. COACHES: 
    Giants coach Tom Coughlin is underrated. With a win Sunday, he could be Hall of Fame material. As is the case with Tom Brady, BB needs no introduction. But, in the last two head to head battles with Couglin, BB has come up short twice.

V. INTANGIBLES: At SB 42, for whatever reason, the Pats played their worst game of the season that year, by far. To a man, that team knows it. They appeared as if they were ready for a coronation, rather than a football game four years ago, in Glendale, Arizona. We all know how that game turned out. The Patriots blew an opportunity to finish a season undefeated, and go down in NFL history as the greatest team of all-time. As I stated above, don't believe the talk about that loss having no significance. It does. The Patriots have a rare chance at redemption, this Sunday.
         Oddly enough, this time around, it's the Giants who appear to be at the SB for a coronation. After beating the Patriots of 2007 in 2011, the (15-1) Green Bay Packers...and then the 49ers, both on the road, who can blame the G-men for feeling super confident? They KNOW that they can beat the Patriots...while the Patriots think that they can beat the Giants....righ? 
         Yet, in 2007, the Giants were bolstered by the strong leadership of Michael Strahan and Antonio Pierce. With those guys gone, who fills the void? Meanwhile, the Patriots have Vince Wilfolk, Tom Brady, and veterans like Shawn Ellis, in leadership roles. 
          All the giant sized talk coming from the G-men and the NY media has got to have registered with the Patriots by now. As a result, expect to see a focused, angry Patriots team take the field in Peyton Manning Land, this Sunday. Surprisingly enough, the Patriots much maligned defense that will carry the team. They'll do so  with an attitude that, if they are not victorious, let no man come back alive! It will be the thing that carries them to the Lombardi Trophy.
    EDGE: Patriots.

PICK: PATRIOTS

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome.

Be confident and of good cheer, my friends. Our boys will get the job done!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Giants/Patriots SB PICK

Agree for the most part.  I'd give the Patriots the edge in Special Teams, as you mentioned, Tynes is iffy and the Giants don't get much of anything in the return game, whereas the Pats do from time to time.

I think an evaluation of the LB's needs to mention Kiwanuka.  With the DL now healthy for the past 5 games or so, he has been able to be nearly an everydown OLB, which has really helped to solidify their run D.  I'd probably call this one a push.

I'd call RB's a push.  The Giants tandem might have slightly more upside but in a game that could likely be decided by turn-overs BJGE takes care of the ball better than anyone where both Bradshaw and Jacobs have been known to put it on the ground.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I like the analysis and I really like the pick, but I have to ask. Are Tom Brady and Eli Manning really even? Really?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Giants/Patriots SB PICK:
    [QUOTE]I like the analysis and I really like the pick, but I have to ask. Are Tom Brady and Eli Manning really even? Really?
    Posted by kevin13130[/QUOTE]

When you compare their whole body of work, of course not. But, looking at them for this year alone, I believe so. If I'm not mistaken, Eli Manning has set a record for 4th quarter comebacks this season: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-24/eli-manning-s-toughness-translates-to-giants-success-coach-coughlin-says.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

The Pats will have to play their best ball of the season.  The defense will need to step up huge to control the Giants running game, then defend against a hot QB with above average receivers.  Have the Pats faced this kind of opponent successfully this year? The Pats offense will have to control the ball and score, early and often, with absolutely no turnovers and help this defense stay off the field and out of trouble.  Any defensive takeaways will be huge and the offense will need to score touchdowns.  The Pats have been playing good ball as of late and it's going to take a combined effort to win this game.  Good analysis, Tex - enjoyed your stuff all season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

No arguemnet on Nicks and Cruz being great receivers.....Manningham would have ranked 5th on the Pats in recieving behind Branch.  He's incredibly inconsistant and overrated.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Giants/Patriots SB PICK :      When you compare their whole body of work, of course not. But, looking at them for this year alone, I believe so. If I'm not mistaken, Eli Manning has set a record for 4th quarter comebacks this season: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-24/eli-manning-s-toughness-translates-to-giants-success-coach-coughlin-says.html
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

That's fine. I'm not saying Eli Manning hasn't had probably his best season in the league. I just don't think that matches up to what Tom has done.

I mean, you could look at stats:
    Tom Brady: 65.6% completion, 5235 yards, 39 TD's, 12 INT's, 105.6 QB rating
    Eli Manning: 61.0% completion, 4933 yards, 29 TD's, 16 INT's, 92.9 QB rating

But stats can be misleading without some context. So here's some context:

Brady's offense comes from two tight ends and one slot receiver. Teams crowd the line and middle of the field forcing Brady to throw into very small windows. They dare the Patriots to run the ball by playing extra DBs. And Brady has responded with an MVP-caliber season.

Eli Manning has Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, and Manningham. Many analysts consider that to be the most talented receiving corp in the game.

That Eli Manning 4th quarter comeback stat is great and all, but doesn't that stat rely on the other 3 quarters? As in, if Manning is such an elite QB, why does he have to lead so many 4th quarter comebacks?

The Patriots defense has been pretty bad all regular season. Yet, Tom Brady doesn't need many 4th quarter comebacks to win games. Why? Because he is consistently good for the entire game. Every time the other team's offense scores, Brady marches the Patriots right down the field and responds with 7. 

In fact, Brady's constant scoring puts so much pressure on opposing offenses that they have to abandon the run and throw for 350+ yards a game just to keep up. When they do that, our defense gets chances for turnovers.

What Brady does on offense directly forces interceptions on defense. I'm not sure you can say that about Eli this season.

I honestly think that the only reason people rank Eli with Brady is expectation. You expect Brady to have the season he's had, not so with Eli. Brady has had an average season by his standards. By Eli's standards, he's had the best one of his career. So people take Brady for granted and praise Eli. But in reality, even Brady's average season trumps Eli's best.

I apologize for ranting. I'm just very tired of hearing how Eli is as good as Tom. He's not. If you compare them to Ivy League schools, Eli is Cornell, and Brady is Harvard. You'd be happy to get into Cornell, but you'd rather go to Harvard.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

What a surprise. Texas Pat thinks Eli is as good as Brady. We should be happy I guess. Eli probably had something like 12 A's this year to Brady's 2 or 3.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Giants/Patriots SB PICK : That's fine. I'm not saying Eli Manning hasn't had probably his best season in the league. I just don't think that matches up to what Tom has done. I mean, you could look at stats: Tom Brady: 65.6% completion, 5235 yards, 39 TD's, 12 INT's, 105.6 QB rating Eli Manning: 61.0% completion, 4933 yards, 29 TD's, 16 INT's, 92.9 QB rating But stats can be misleading without some context. So here's some context: Brady's offense comes from two tight ends and one slot receiver. Teams crowd the line and middle of the field forcing Brady to throw into very small windows. They dare the Patriots to run the ball by playing extra DBs. And Brady has responded with an MVP-caliber season. Eli Manning has Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, and Manningham. Many analysts consider that to be the most talented receiving corp in the game. That Eli Manning 4th quarter comeback stat is great and all, but doesn't that stat rely on the other 3 quarters? As in, if Manning is such an elite QB, why does he have to lead so many 4th quarter comebacks? The Patriots defense has been pretty bad all regular season. Yet, Tom Brady doesn't need many 4th quarter comebacks to win games. Why? Because he is consistently good for the entire game. Every time the other team's offense scores, Brady marches the Patriots right down the field and responds with 7.  In fact, Brady's constant scoring puts so much pressure on opposing offenses that they have to abandon the run and throw for 350+ yards a game just to keep up. When they do that, our defense gets chances for turnovers. What Brady does on offense directly forces interceptions on defense. I'm not sure you can say that about Eli this season. I honestly think that the only reason people rank Eli with Brady is expectation. You expect Brady to have the season he's had, not so with Eli. Brady has had an average season by his standards. By Eli's standards, he's had the best one of his career. So people take Brady for granted and praise Eli. But in reality, even Brady's average season trumps Eli's best. I apologize for ranting. I'm just very tired of hearing how Eli is as good as Tom. He's not. If you compare them to Ivy League schools, Eli is Cornell, and Brady is Harvard. You'd be happy to get into Cornell, but you'd rather go to Harvard.

We'll have to agree to disagree. To me, his 4th quarter stats are highly impressive. Eli is at his best in the clutch. Isn't this the mark of a great player?

Plus...we're talking about which QB is playing best now. Not in September or October...but now. During the late season and play-offs, no QB has played better than Eli Manning.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Disagree on the quarterbacks by a ton and the running backs by a toe (Law Firms healed one that is). Am I the only one who thinks the Patriots offense likely lights up an overated Giants defense. Think Matt Light is motivated? Waters? Conly?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]Disagree on the quarterbacks by a ton and the running backs by a toe (Law Firms healed one that is). Am I the only one who thinks the Patriots offense likely lights up an overated Giants defense. Think Matt Light is motivated? Waters? Conly?
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

the pats are just as likely to light up the giants defense like a christmas tree as brady is to be under pressure all game in my opinion....if the o-line does their job and they can get the run game established, they will be able to score 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

New orleans beat these Jints senseless - 49 - 24

I expect something like that minus the garbage time TDs for the Jints.

Pats in a blow out

45 - 9

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]New orleans beat these Jints senseless - 49 - 24 I expect something like that minus the garbage time TDs for the Jints. Pats in a blow out 45 - 9
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

These are not the same Giants that were blown away by the Saints early in the season. Heck...the Packers beat the Saints on opening day, and the Giants blew away the Packers in GB, during the play-offs. What does that mean? Nothing...except that the Giants are now on a roll.

I hope you're right about the Pats winning in a blow-out. Nothing would be more satisfying (well...almost nothing...LOL!!) But, I don't see that happening...especially with Gronk less than 100%.

If the Pats bring their "A" game, they'll win. If not, it could be them getting blown-out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Giants/Patriots SB PICK :      We'll have to agree to disagree. To me, his 4th quarter stats are highly impressive. Eli is at his best in the clutch. Isn't this the mark of a great player?      Plus...we're talking about which QB is playing best now. Not in September or October...but now. During the late season and play-offs, no QB has played better than Eli Manning.
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Here's a fun question: Which NFL QB has had the most 4th quarter comebacks since 2010?

Aaron Rodgers? Tom Brady? Eli Manning?

Believe it or not, it's actually Mark Sanchez. 
    Are you going to tell me that Sanchez is a great QB?

You can't just judge a QB by the number of comeback wins he pulls. If you do, then Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees would be at the bottom of the league this season because they've almost never had to lead their team from behind in the 4th quarter.

The ability to lead comeback wins is important, and great QB's possess that ability. But as I've just shown you, even mediocre QB's can do it. Great QB's are consistently great and play at a high level for all four quarters, not just the fourth one.

As for who is playing better in the playoffs, is Eli really playing at an elite level? Is lighting up Green Bay's 32nd ranked defense really elite? I mean, Josh Freeman did, as has Kyle Orton. Philip Rivers, in his worst season, has done it. Meanwhile, Tom Brady had record day against the 18th ranked Broncos defense. That same defense held Philip Rivers to 188 yards in Week 12 and Ben Roethlisberger to a 75.9 QB rating in the wild card game.

You can give Eli credit in the 49ers game. He certainly impressed me the way he took so many hits and was mostly unfazed. But he threw three balls at San Francisco defenders and the defenders failed to catch them. I'm not willing to just give him free passes on that, because if the 49ers catch any one of those, then Giants are likely out of the playoffs.

Based on this two-game stretch where Brady and Eli were somewhat equal, can we really just say they're equal? Well, there was a 2-game stretch where Matt Moore was playing ridiculously well (as well as Tom was during those 2 weeks). Is he in the same class as Brady?

I respect what Eli has done this season, and I respect that you think highly of him. But to say that Eli is in the same class as Tom, it's just such a knee-jerk reaction to the few recent games where Eli has played well. It's like the whole Tom Coughlin thing where a couple of weeks ago, people wanted him fired. Now people are wondering if he's bound for the Hall of Fame.

It might be that nothing I say will convince you of what I'm saying. If that's the case, then we'll just have to wait till Sunday, when Tom Brady shows you and the rest of the world what it is to be one of the best QB's to ever play the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bnoaton. Show bnoaton's posts

In Response to Giants/Patriots SB PICK:
    [QUOTE](12-7) N.Y. Giants (+3) v. (15-3) New England Patriots      Coming off going two for two in picking the winners of the conference championship games against the spread, it's time for me to shut out the hype, and turn my full attentions to SB Sunday. Though the Patriots have been installed as three (3) point favorites, it seems like no one...and I mean, NO ONE, is picking them to win.       If you look at things objectively, how can you blame folks for favoring the Giants? there's that SB 42 win, four years ago. In the teams' meeting this year in New England, an injury ravaged Giants' team beat our boys, 20-16, in an eerily familiar way...on a last second TD drive.       Let's take a closer look at the teams, and some specific match-ups: I. OFFENSE: 1.) OL:  Their Giants' OL had lots of problems last week against the 49ers. But, some say that the 9ers had the best defense in the game this season. Center David Baas, who missed the first game between these two teams, will play this time. Look for the Giants to double team DT Vince Wilfolk, which could open up pass-rushing opportunities for other members of the Patriots' front seven, including DE Mark Anderson, and OLB Rob Ninkovich.      As for the Pats' OL, don't believe the nonsense that the SB 42 loss has no bearing on this game. It does, and it will. The left side of the Patriots' OL, Matt Light and Logan Mankins, remains from that 18-1 team. They remember how they were embarrassed by Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora and company. This is a particularly huge game for Light. If he plays well, he'll be back next season. If not, he'll likely be gone. As for Mankins, expect him as his meanest.      Look for the Giants to focus on attacking center Dan Connelly, and the RT spot...where either a wounded Sebastien Vollmer or rookie Nate Solder may be had, by Justin Tuck, and/or Jason Pierre Paul.   EDGE: Patriots;       2.) RBs: Both teams have a good blend of power and speed. The Giants have Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw...while the Patriots put forth Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis, and Danny Woodhead. After a horrible first half of the season, Jacobs and Bradshaw have stepped it up. EDGE: Giants; 3.) TEs and WRs:  The Giants' trio of Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, and Mario Manningham may be the best set of WRs in the game. Giants' TE Greg Ballard was huge in the Giants' win over the Pats earlier this year.       As for the Pats, their passing game revolves around their dynamic TE duo of Rob Gronkowski, and Aaron Hernandez. Tough break for the Pats that Gronk had to had suffered that high ankle sprain two weeks ago. With him less than 100%, their passing offense will suffer. Wes Welker is dynamite in the slot, but the Patriots' WRs leave much to be desired. Deion Branch must step up...particularly if Gronk isn't himself: EDGE: Giants;        4.) QBs: Unlike his more famous brother, Eli Manning has proven himself to be at his best in the clutch. Though not a scrambler, he has great pocket awareness, and is fearless in the pocket. In the past, his accuracy has been questioned. But, no longer. He is one of the top five QBs in the game.      Tom Brady needs no introduction. For years, Tom has made the most with less. Having no deep threat, and the prospect of suiting up without a healthy Gronkowski, Tom will have to work his magic once again. Coming off a poor game in the AFC championship with the Ravens, look for Tom to be on: EDGE: Even;    II. DEFENSE; 1.) DL:  The Giants have depth, Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, and rising star, Jason Pierre Paul. The Pats have Mark Anderson, stud DT Vince Wilfolk, and some solid depth as well. Considering that the Pats have the better OL, this may not be as big a mis-match as everyone thinks.      The key match-ups were discussed in the OL section above. The players that could have a huge impact are Tuck, Pierre Paul, Wilfolk, and Anderson.  EDGE: Giants; 2.) LBs: Eli Manning's heroics aside, OLB Michael Boley was the difference in the first game between these teams, in Foxboro. But, the Giants' may be had inside on runs and swing/flat passes.       The Patriots' trio of Rob Ninkovich, Jerod Mayo, and Brandon Spikes have of late resembled Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, and Willie McGinest. EDGE: Patriots; 3. SECONDARY: Neither of these units are very good...but both play better when their front 4 is able to apply consistent pressure. EDGE: Giants; III. SPECIAL TEAMS:  Both teams do a good job of covering kicks. Julian Edelman at times can be dangerous as a punt returner for the Pats. In the kicking game, both teams have good punters. Zoltan Mesko's directional kicking ability give the Pats a slight edge. Regarding the place kickers, Lawrence Tines has made several big kicks during his career...including OT game-winners in Green Bay in 2007, and two weeks ago against the 49ers. Stephen Gostkowski has yet to be placed in such a position: EDGE: Even; IV. COACHES:  Giants coach Tom Coughlin is underrated. With a win Sunday, he could be Hall of Fame material. As is the case with Tom Brady, BB needs no introduction. But, in the last two head to head battles with Couglin, BB has come up short twice. EDGE: Patriots; V. INTANGIBLES : At SB 42, for whatever reason, the Pats played their worst game of the season that year, by far. To a man, that team knows it. They appeared as if they were ready for a coronation, rather than a football game four years ago, in Glendale, Arizona. We all know how that game turned out. The Patriots blew an opportunity to finish a season undefeated, and go down in NFL history as the greatest team of all-time. As I stated above, don't believe the talk about that loss having no significance. It does. The Patriots have a rare chance at redemption, this Sunday.      Oddly enough, this time around, it's the Giants who appear to be at the SB for a coronation. After beating the Patriots of 2007 in 2011, the (15-1) Green Bay Packers...and then the 49ers, both on the road, who can blame the G-men for feeling super confident? They KNOW that they can beat the Patriots...while the Patriots think that they can beat the Giants....righ?       Yet, in 2007, the Giants were bolstered by the strong leadership of Michael Strahan and Antonio Pierce. With those guys gone, who fills the void? Meanwhile, the Patriots have Vince Wilfolk, Tom Brady, and veterans like Shawn Ellis, in leadership roles.        All the giant sized talk coming from the G-men and the NY media has got to have registered with the Patriots by now. As a result, expect to see a focused, angry Patriots team take the field in Peyton Manning Land, this Sunday. Surprisingly enough, the Patriots much maligned defense that will carry the team. They'll do so  with an attitude that, if they are not victorious, let no man come back alive! It will be the thing that carries them to the Lombardi Trophy. EDGE: Patriots.         PICK: PATRIOTS      As always, your comments and opinions are welcome.      Be confident and of good cheer, my friends. Our boys will get the job done!                            
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    I have gone from thinking last team with the ball wins to Pats win comfortably. Just a hunch on what i have seen and heard but I will go Pats 31 Giants 17

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Patriots easy 31 - 17

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from truebostonfan. Show truebostonfan's posts

PATRIOTS 38 GIANTS 13

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

just watched the last giant game
    1) tom was not rattled as JPP is now saying
      - or was the comeback
         a mirage?
    2) the Pats gave the game away
        And the Arrington PI was not PI
    3)the Barret PI was close
       but eli was throwing off his rear foot all game
       which he continues to do
    4)Spikes was out in the 4th qtr
    5) our db's had a good game covering
    6) Ocho was open 5 times w/ no catches
       he can separte from Ginat db's
    7) Welker beat the gaints like a drum
    8) 4 to's by the Pats and they still had the lead
    9) WE have the better punter - but weatherford
        is good getting it inside the 20
    10) niot much no huddle by PAts

Vegas line is Pats 3 pts
    basically cause more non fans
    will bet the Pats and they wanted
    more Giant bettors

I see Pats 24-20
    Ocho will have a big reception
    If Gronk is hurt he makes big receptions
       cause they double others
    Pats will look for the right Gaints to
     run the no huddle
    Eli will throw one to many off his rear foot

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Giants/Patriots SB PICK : Here's a fun question: Which NFL QB has had the most 4th quarter comebacks since 2010? Aaron Rodgers? Tom Brady? Eli Manning? Believe it or not, it's actually Mark Sanchez.  Are you going to tell me that Sanchez is a great QB?

RESPONSE: Stop it. First of all, please show me your stats on Sanchez. Second on all, did Sanchez ever have a year close to the year that  Eli's had in 2011? Has Sanchez ever won a SB?

You can't just judge a QB by the number of comeback wins he pulls. If you do, then Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees would be at the bottom of the league this season because they've almost never had to lead their team from behind in the 4th quarter. The ability to lead comeback wins is important, and great QB's possess that ability.

RESPONSE: What nonsense! It's the ability of a QB to produce in the clutch...that means in the 4th quarter, that separates the good ones from the great ones. Please post your stats that bears out that Rodgers, Brady and Brees are at the bottom of the league in comebacks. 

But as I've just shown you, even mediocre QB's can do it.

RESPONSE: You've shown me nothing. Please produce the stats which back up your claims.

Great QB's are consistently great and play at a high level for all four quarters, not just the fourth one. As for who is playing better in the playoffs, is Eli really playing at an elite level? Is lighting up Green Bay's 32nd ranked defense really elite? I mean, Josh Freeman did, as has Kyle Orton. Philip Rivers, in his worst season, has done it.

RESPONSE: So...now your arguing that beating (15-1) Green Bay on the road in the play-offs is no great feat? Has Tom Brady played well in all 4 quarters this year? Go back and check the game stats. Brady usually gets off to slow starts.

Meanwhile, Tom Brady had record day against the 18th ranked Broncos defense.

RESPONSE: So...Brady's win at home against the 8-8 Broncos was more impressive that Eli's win at Green Bay?

That same defense held Philip Rivers to 188 yards in Week 12 and Ben Roethlisberger to a 75.9 QB rating in the wild card game.

RESPONSE: The Broncos played ball control against San Diego. Against the Steelers, they won on several big play, long pass plays. They faced Ben Roethlisburger playing despite a high ankle sprain, and without their top RB.  

You can give Eli credit in the 49ers game. He certainly impressed me the way he took so many hits and was mostly unfazed. But he threw three balls at San Francisco defenders and the defenders failed to catch them. I'm not willing to just give him free passes on that, because if the 49ers catch any one of those, then Giants are likely out of the playoffs.

RESPONSE: Tom Brady threw two picks against the Ravens that could have been four...but for a penalty and a drop. I routinely get criticized on my report cards for not giving Tom Brady a pass on dropped interceptions.

Based on this two-game stretch where Brady and Eli were somewhat equal, can we really just say they're equal? Well, there was a 2-game stretch where Matt Moore was playing ridiculously well (as well as Tom was during those 2 weeks). Is he in the same class as Brady?

RESPONSE: Apples and oranges. Has Moore had the season, not stretch of games, that Eli has had? Has Moore ever played well in the play-offs? Has he won a SB? Has he set a record for most TD passes in the 4th quarter, and for fourth quarter comebacks?

I respect what Eli has done this season, and I respect that you think highly of him. But to say that Eli is in the same class as Tom, it's just such a knee-jerk reaction to the few recent games where Eli has played well. It's like the whole Tom Coughlin thing where a couple of weeks ago, people wanted him fired. Now people are wondering if he's bound for the Hall of Fame. It might be that nothing I say will convince you of what I'm saying. If that's the case, then we'll just have to wait till Sunday, when Tom Brady shows you and the rest of the world what it is to be one of the best QB's to ever play the game.

RESPONSE: As I stated previously, we'll have to agree to disagree on this. But, I do hope you're right about Brady showing the world who the better QB is this Sunday.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Nice analysis TP. I may quibble with one or two areas where you give the Jints the edge, but all in all quite fair. Love that some posters are calling you out on putting Eli even with Tom. I get how you came to that determination, and I know you are not a fan of anything Manning, and based your assessment on the now. Still... can't wait to see TB shut up everybody on Sunday with the comparison to baby Manning. Of course the x factor is the rest of the team, what the QB's have to work with- I like the rabbit TB pulls out of helmets.
    It's a given stating the obvious- whichever team pays best on Sunday wins. I think the teams are as evenly matched as a whole can be. If they both play to their abilities should be a hell of a game.
    I agree with you completely that SB 42 is a huge factor this time around. How could it not? I believe that TB and BB are ready to exact their revenge on Sunday. Don't forget Falk- he may not have many plays on Sunday, but he still feels the pain. I'm sure he's in the faces of the team pumping them up.
    Yeah, one would never know that Vegas gives the Pats the edge. It is getting more than a little infuriating at this point that just about everyone in the national sports media is picking giants to win- some by two TD's. Really?
    The other intangible  is that Bob Kraft , Mike Reiss, and a few others close to the team have stated more than a few times this season is the "band of brotherhood" this team has forged. Very close. Belichick LIKES this team. Playing not only for Kraft, BB, MHK, but each other! I think that gives them huge momentum and a mental toughness that we've witnessed in many games this season and we'll witness on Sunday. Can't wait.
    There is a lot of talent and skill on this team. And I do think the Pats D is underrated right now, and will come out like a hammer in this SB game.
    And though the media local and national has been going crazy for Gronk, and yes he is a monster. Wes and Herendez can break out with a very big game.
    I expect the offensive play schemes to hold some surprises.
    I'm pinching myself. Pats in the SB- again. This is the stuff of legend.
    BTW- Do you think BB has shown the film from SB42 this week? I do.
    Like your pick!  I'm a believer.

GO PATS!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Nice analysis TP. I may quibble with one or two areas where you give the Jints the edge, but all in all quite fair. Love that some posters are calling you out on putting Eli even with Tom. I get how you came to that determination, and I know you are not a fan of anything Manning, and based your assessment on the now. Still... can't wait to see TB shut up everybody on Sunday with the comparison to baby Manning. Of course the x factor is the rest of the team, what the QB's have to work with- I like the rabbit TB pulls out of helmets. It's a given stating the obvious- whichever team pays best on Sunday wins. I think the teams are as evenly matched as a whole can be. If they both play to their abilities should be a hell of a game. I agree with you completely that SB 42 is a huge factor this time around. How could it not? I believe that TB and BB are ready to exact their revenge on Sunday. Don't forget Falk- he may not have many plays on Sunday, but he still feels the pain. I'm sure he's in the faces of the team pumping them up. Yeah, one would never know that Vegas gives the Pats the edge. It is getting more than a little infuriating at this point that just about everyone in the national sports media is picking giants to win- some by two TD's. Really? The other intangible  is that Bob Kraft , Mike Reiss, and a few others close to the team have stated more than a few times this season is the "band of brotherhood" this team has forged. Very close. Belichick LIKES this team. Playing not only for Kraft, BB, MHK, but each other! I think that gives them huge momentum and a mental toughness that we've witnessed in many games this season and we'll witness on Sunday. Can't wait. There is a lot of talent and skill on this team. And I do think the Pats D is underrated right now, and will come out like a hammer in this SB game. And though the media local and national has been going crazy for Gronk, and yes he is a monster. Wes and Herendez can break out with a very big game. I expect the offensive play schemes to hold some surprises. I'm pinching myself. Pats in the SB- again. This is the stuff of legend. BTW- Do you think BB has shown the film from SB42 this week? I do. Like your pick!  I'm a believer. GO PATS!
    Posted by darwk[/QUOTE]

There's been far too much hype. Let's get on with the game! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

First.. TP, even though you do pick the Pats, I get the feeling it is with fingers crossed.  You NEVER really believed in the Pats this year and refuse, to a degree, to believe they are that good.  With all the injuries and they still finished 13 - 3!!  As for your Manning comments..  a good QB does not have to lead so many 4th quarter comebacks to win a game..  for Eli, his many "Hail Mary, I hope my receiver catches the ball" passes will catch up with him this Sunday.  As for the game....

The Giants lose to good teams, the Patriots are a REAL good team and healthier than they were in the first game....  no one is giving credit to the Pats D play in the last half of the season and Eli is due for his stinker.  Lastly, the Patriots, unlike GB and 49ers, will not gift wrap bad play and points to the Giants.  Pats win in surprisingly easy fashion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

I have very strong feeling that the Pats will blow out the Giants in this game for many reasons.  Here are the fews:
    1. Revenge the super lost in 2008
    2. Dedication to MHK
    3. The Confidence and their mind sets (Patriots way)

Pats 41 Giants 20.

Sections
Shortcuts