Giants Run Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Giants Run Defense

This horror story has been completely ignored in the New Yorkcentric media frenzy over the invincible 9-7 Giants.Everyone except Belichick, that is. Playing better than ever, huh? Look at the rush yards and yards per carry the 49ers and Packers got. Scary. Add in a dose of the Patriots getting 4 yards per carry (when they weren't one the 1 yard line or kneeling down) against the big, bad Ravens defense and I think we have a plan. The Patriots run game will be unstoppable, Brady will be licking his chops for the first play action. I am going with 33 carries for 136 yards. Giants will be playing catch up from the get go and the Patriots will have them sitting on the sidelines as our defense relaxes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

Re: Giants Run Defense

Our running game is going to be a key factor in winning this game I believe. But we cannot be predictable with the run. Just because BJGE is in the game it cannot always be a run. Play calling and adjustments during the game will be key also. We all know teams play pass first against the Pats, so we need to use this to our advantage. Once a runner gets past the D line he will probably have a lot of running room.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Yeah I think this will have to be a large part of the game plan. Why would we just drop back and pass pass pass against a team that will pressure your QB into making poor decisions? Our line is playing well - time to let them take their aggressions out on a team that has been talking smack all week.

The thing I like is that we played against a team last week that had a great passing defense. We weren't allowed to just throw the ball all over the place, we had to take what was there and run it. I feel as if this will help the offense prepare for what they will face next week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Giants Run Defense:
    [QUOTE]This horror story has been completely ignored in the New Yorkcentric media frenzy over the invincible 9-7 Giants.Everyone except Belichick, that is. Playing better than ever, huh? Look at the rush yards and yards per carry the 49ers and Packers got. Scary. Add in a dose of the Patriots getting 4 yards per carry (when they weren't one the 1 yard line or kneeling down) against the big, bad Ravens defense and I think we have a plan. The Patriots run game will be unstoppable, Brady will be licking his chops for the first play action. I am going with 33 carries for 136 yards. Giants will be playing catch up from the get go and the Patriots will have them sitting on the sidelines as our defense relaxes.
    Posted by pauldeba[/QUOTE]
    The Niners were the #1 running team in the NFL and playing at home. The running stats are augmented by Alex Smith the QB with his escapability and speed. They've won this year with pounding the rock and a staunch defense. I do think that the Pats can keep the Gs off balance by running off tackle with some success and mixing TBs excellent play action. If the Gs stay Big on D because of their front seven, then that could become an issue for the Pats. 
    When the Ravens went Small last week, the Pats ran the ball, but wouldn't when they went Big. There may be issues with the Pats hurry up offense not allowing the interchangeable seven DTs they rotate each 3 to 4 plays. Great chess match coming our way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

In the fourth quarter when we are leading by ten points, and the giants d line is gassed our O line will take over the game .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The only part I don't like is that it is clear that we now "must" run to win this game. This is the reason that a few of us here wanted to see the run game used more throughout the season. We knew we could beat teams on Brady's arm alone and a high powered passing game, but when we get to the post season we would need the running attack to be a well oiled machine. It is the same concern a few people had in 07 when we showed little interest in running the ball.

I am worried that we don't have enough cards up our sleeves so to speak in regard to the run game.(Stale rushing attack in the same sets) I agree with the comments that if we get to 30 carries(preferably 18 or more with Benny) then we are winning this game. I just don't know how unpredictable we can be with one of the least used aspects of our offense.

In our last 2 SB runs the rushing attack had to really carry us to victory in both AFC games. Unfortunately in SB 07 our run game looked like doo doo and we reverted back to putting Brady up on a silver platter. The result looked amazingly similar to the Pats Giants regular season game this year....as in Brady got blown up all game and was forced to make quick throws into coverage.

If our run game fails us early I fear that this coaching staff will give up on it like they have in the past and revert back to its crutch meaning the same spread over and over and over.

hopefully with 2 weeks to prepare this time we actually develop some wrinkles on offense. Something to make the Giants guess. Time to empty the cupboard on offense and use everything we have.

I also hope Volmer can play. He might give us an edge in the running game as well as the play action game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I think we'll be able to run easy on them. using the hurry up as a guise for passing, they'll see BJGE blow by them for big gainers, and Ridley breaking the edge for big gainers.

B'Ob better bring "A" game for play calling.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattman1447. Show mattman1447's posts

In Response to Giants Run Defense:
    [QUOTE]This horror story has been completely ignored in the New Yorkcentric media frenzy over the invincible 9-7 Giants.Everyone except Belichick, that is. Playing better than ever, huh? Look at the rush yards and yards per carry the 49ers and Packers got. Scary. Add in a dose of the Patriots getting 4 yards per carry (when they weren't one the 1 yard line or kneeling down) against the big, bad Ravens defense and I think we have a plan. The Patriots run game will be unstoppable, Brady will be licking his chops for the first play action. I am going with 33 carries for 136 yards. Giants will be playing catch up from the get go and the Patriots will have them sitting on the sidelines as our defense relaxes.
    Posted by pauldeba[/QUOTE]

Nails on!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i am hoping vollmer is healthy so we can use solder as a TE/blocker and ensure brady's protection

gronk, vollmer, waters, connolly, mankins, light, solder,

brady would have all day to throw and it would be hard to stop our RB's running behind that line/blockers

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

In Response to Re: Giants Run Defense:
    [QUOTE]I think we'll be able to run easy on them. using the hurry up as a guise for passing, they'll see BJGE blow by them for big gainers, and Ridley breaking the edge for big gainers. B'Ob better bring "A" game for play calling.
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

I hope BB lets Ridley out the dog house for this one.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Looking at the 49ers-Ravens game:

49ers got 3.5 yards per carry, they got 5.4 against the Giants

We got 4.0 against the Ravens when excluding kneeldowns and runs from inside the 1 yard line (ie maximum 1 yard carry, etc).

We're better against the Ravens run defense than the 49ers and the 49ers crushed the Giants run defense.  we should get 5.5 per carry, I am upping my rating and going 33 carries for 181 yards

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I see zero reason for anyone on the Giants to ever bite on a PA fake. NE will try it, but any coach in the world will tell his players to simply stay put. 

It's way better to get nickled and dimed, than come out of position and get burned bad on a big play. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Although the topic is running on the Giants, I wish to comment as a Patriot fan living in SF that I was at the game about the Giants' running game.  IF  A Giant fan is a true football fan and does not say “WHEW, WE WERE LUCKY TO WIN THAT GAME VS SF”, then they are irrational.

I believe that the Patriots need not concern themselves with the Giants' running game but concentrate mostly on the pass even risking blitzes frequently. Eli Manning does not liked to be sacked & will risk tossing the ball up for grabs to avoid this. The 49ers truly outplayed the Giants in the 2nd half with their only 10 points coming from a TD in reg time and a field goal in OT. Mention has been made frequently about the bonehead play of Kyle Williams resulting in 2 fumbles. Yup, on the 2nd in OT I’d have used even Frank Gore or anyone not to risk a fumble. Both of these plays did not come from the Giants marching down the field but from the gift of getting the ball on SF's 20 yard line. On the first one there was no great defensive play by NY but the bad luck of an uncanny bounce nicking the knee of the receiver by 1/2 inch.

But regarding Eli's passing, SF's defense brutalized him hitting him 21 times and sacking him six times. And regarding tossing it up for grabs when pressured, a near interception knocked out a 49ers by his own team mate.  Either player could have had the ball but they didn’t see each other. SF was so good they had 2 defenders on a Giant receiver. Alas, just one would have intercepted. This also happened on another play when 2 SF players bumped each other preventing an interception. These 2 potential interceptions could have changed the outcome of the game.

Also, another break NY got was that with the score tied with about 2 minutes to go there was an uncalled fumble by Giants’ Ahmad Bradshaw as he was artfully stripped of the ball while still upright.   The officials declined to review the play and refused to let coach Jim Harbaugh challenge the call because a forward progress judgment cannot be overturned by replay.  SF would have had the ball on the NY 20 yard line and could have milked the clock to score a TD or kick a field goal and even if there was time left, NY would have used all its timeouts.

Anyway, the only good thing that happened is that I would have been in a bit of a quandary as I am a 49er fan too and the game would have been Classic Great Offense vs. Classic Great Defense but, irrespective of the outcome, I would not have been disappointed with the winner.

Come on Boston, get revenge for yourselves from NY ruining a perfect season in Super Bowl a few years back and also for this West Coast Bay Area fan.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE]Disagree completely. The secret to beating the Giants is to make Eli pass and pass only.  He threw 60 times last week and that is the key.  If SF doesn't have moronic kick return play, SF wins. Eli is much better when they get Jacobs/Bradshaw going.  They lost their games when Bradshaw was dinged up.  NE simply must do to them what they did to Rice last week.  That simple. If they do that, there is a very good chance NE holds NY to around 20 points. In the Nov meeting NE, handed that game away on a silver platter.  4 turnovers, Brady was poor and the gamepland was awful on offense, and then NE's D was trimmed down to a B Squad (Tracey White and Sergio Brown in the game).
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]

Read my post above yours...I agree to forget the Giants' running game and concentrate on Eli's passing---see where I say he tosses it up to avoid a sack and 5-10 yard loss but risks an interception. And if we get ahead by at least 2 scores, he'll be forced to pass most ot the time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

This what? BB's 7th SB appearance. He knows what to do. Don't think he needs any advice on which plays to run.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

In response to "Re: Giants Run Defense": [QUOTE]This what? BB's 7th SB appearance. He knows what to do. Don't think he needs any advice on which plays to run. Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE] I told him to run the ball on 3rd and short from the 23 or so last Super Bowl and he didn't listen, Brady got sacked and we didn't even try a field goal, would have been 17-17 at the end of regulation had he listened, actually it would would have been 13-10 as he would have milked the clock as much as possible making the Giants use all their timeouts and not leaving much left for eli and company. On that play, he needed advice.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]This what? BB's 7th SB appearance. He knows what to do. Don't think he needs any advice on which plays to run.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

For some reason Coach Belichick never returns my phone calls......so instead I come here to discuss ideas with other fans.

Sections
Shortcuts