Giants v. Patriots SB REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

Re: Giants v. Patriots SB REPORT CARD

Texas Pat

I agree the issue yesterday with the offense was an injured Gronk resulting in only 2 reliable wideouts as option in the passing game. I love Branch but he can't get open anymore.

I thought BB mad a mistake not keeping Kevin Faulk active  He would have given Brady another option to throw to with Gronk being so limited. If your not gonna trust Ridley to run the football in a tight game - why activate him over Faulk?

Brady played okay - not great - but good enough to win this game if he had another option in the passing game.

On a separate note - I though that safety was a bad call in a game like this. Brady through the ball down field and as Rusty said on another thread - the refs can't be sure that an intended receiver did not miss an adjustment or ran the wrong route. I never saw a safety called on a pass down field like that, I thought it was  a BS call.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Giants v. Patriots SB REPORT CARD:
    Flaws with your report card:  1.  Brady was not great.  Not only did he cause the safety (very unwisely), in the first half he had balls batted down due to rushed throws without pressure.  Further, the int was awful.  Even with Gronkowski's height, theres no way to assume he gets either separation from defenders or any jump from his ankle.  That wasn't Randy Moss down there.  If Brady threw 17 of 39 balls away from Branch and Hernandez - that's throwing quite bit to other receivers.  Poor assessment on your part.  Further, Brady's developed a bad habit that he once wasn't known for.  He's gotten lazy and focuses on certain receivers while trusting others too little.  I remember early in the season when pats fans here would claim Brady was back to his old self.  His favorite receiver was the open one.  Clearly Brady relied too much on Gronkowski in the latter half of the season and paid for it yesterday.  2.  The pats offensive line was excellent.  Brady generally had as much time as he needed to throw the ball.  On the td to Woodhead, Brady took a shower in between the snap and his throw.  3.  The pats defense was good but not great.  Credit the refs for helping them out.  The 3rd down holding call against the giants negating a first down and a drive was as poor a call as any I have seen, particularly considering the same action was shown by the pats and never called.  Ultimately, this play, imo, as much as any kept the pats in the game.  Had the call not been made, its very likely the giants would have scored, fg or td, and left the pats significantly less time to score going into halftime.  That could have been the game.  The refs also helped the pats d on two non-called PI plays.  The pats were aggressive in the secondary but clearly hooked receivers prior to the ball reaching them.   Brady needed to be better than he was for the pats to win that game.  The defense got help from the refs, but the pats needed to take advantage of every break, and they didn't.  I wouldn't give the pats a "B" grade but I will say this.  The balance of power in the NFL has shifted dramatically to the NFC.  The pats had a pretty easy road to the Super Bowl = Denver and a Baltimore team that could beat the pats when Brady played poorly.  So maybe not a B, but not significantly less than that.   
    Posted by UD6

A 91 passer rating isn't great. But it's pretty damned good. It is significantly higher than Gomer's SB number.

Look, when your missing the receiver who just had the best season for his position in history, it probably is going to to put a crimp in your style.

And you're just being stupid on the holding call. It was obvious the lineman had him under the arm and turned him away from the play. The non-PI calls weren't PI.

You think a 4 point last minute loss while your best weapon has been neutralized from injury is "The balance of power in the NFL has shifted dramatically to the NFC.". You're providing nothing of substance here. It's just more of your agenda driven BS.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

/> IV. COACHING: /> GRADE: A; TP, you are too kind here. Why didn't they even TRY to use Ridley?

RESPONSE: It's obvious that BB has lost confidence in Ridley. A RB who fumbles is a liability. But, who else did the Pats have to back up BJGE? 

How could the coaches NOT draw a game plan without Gronk???

RESPONSE: That's exactly what they did. Brady only threw to Gronk three times...once in desperation.

They knew he was not able to play. Using him has a decoy just doesn't cut it for a SB!!!

RESPONSE: What else could they have done? They didn't have a back-up TE on the roster, and Solder was needed at OT. who could they have played that was a better option than Gronk at 50%?  

I guess the Giants realized pretty quickly that Gronk would not be a threat. The coaches had 2 weeks to be inventive but no, they even released Underwood removing one of the few WR options they had.

RESPONSE: Underwood an option at WR?? LOL!!!

Before the last draft, I was hoping for a high draft pick on a tall WR, but nothing was done in that direction and unfortunately I am pessimistic about the Pats drafting such a WR in the up-coming draft.

RESPONSE: What's done is done. The Pats had the chance to take speedy Baltimore Ravens' WR Torrie Smith at #56...but went with RB Shane Vereen instead. Rest assured that BB will make some moves over the next few months to strengthen the WR corp. He also needs to add a third TE.
    Posted by FrogLegs

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's an accurate report card on how the Giants played in the SB. It explains why the Patriots lost. The Giants brought their "A" game...while the Pats brought their "B" game: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/giants_report_card_YfBS9DkfX9GWaMQynCRy5H

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Giants v. Patriots SB REPORT CARD : A 91 passer rating isn't great. But it's pretty damned good. It is significantly higher than Gomer's SB number. Look, when your missing the receiver who just had the best season for his position in history, it probably is going to to put a crimp in your style. And you're just being stupid on the holding call. It was obvious the lineman had him under the arm and turned him away from the play. The non-PI calls weren't PI. You think a 4 point last minute loss while your best weapon has been neutralized from injury is "The balance of power in the NFL has shifted dramatically to the NFC.". You're providing nothing of substance here. It's just more of your agenda driven BS.
    Posted by BabeParilli

I'd agree that Gronkowski's injury was big, but it begs the question, then why have him on the field.  The idea of a decoy is one thing, but when its obvious that he can't get separation vs. linebackers then its time for plan b.  That's on BB.  Its also on Brady for that Int. 

The holding call was bogus especially in light of the fact that it wasn't called the other way.  It was marginal at best, and I'd accept it if I'd seen the same called on the other side.  As for the non-pi calls - go back and read the game thread.  Posters were saying the pats were fortunate not to get a call.  Replays definitely showed the defenders had the receivers hooked before the ball there.

Yes - I think the balance of power has shifted.  The NFC has won 4 of the last 5.  I think the pats were fortunate to be in the SB.  Denver was terrible.  Arguments are still being made that Evans caught that ball vs. the pats and the NFL didn't review.  Brady had a bad game against Baltimore and they still won.  That tells me Baltimore wasn't that great. 

NYG was 9-7 and won the SB.  The packers, saints, and 49ers all showed better than the AFC.  Look, this isn't a slight against the pats.  I am an AFC fan and it includes all of the AFC.  The balance of power has shifted, and I don't know where the AFC team is going to come from to beat the NFC. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Coaching is an A? I give the D gameplan and coaching an A, but the offensive situation with how O'Brien chose to go about it, was more like, at best a C. Final grade on that is more like a B/B-.

RESPONSE: There you go again...blaming Bill O'Brien for the failure by the offense to put this game away. If Brady throws a better ball, and/or Welker makes a catch on that fateful late 4th quarter pass play, are we evening having this discussion?

Everythign was going in the right direction at half time, in the 3rd qtr, etc, but O'Brien became drunk and just did it again.  I am laughing why PSU even hired this guy. I've never seen someone just get propped up as someone who is good or great at what they do like this, short of Eric Manboobs doing something similar, but at least O'Brien spent 3 years on the job. He just failed at it.

RESPONSE: O'Brien doesn't catch passes or throw them. The Pats' receivers dropped several passes, in addition to the Welker play. How is this O'Brien's fault? The Pats had to win this game virtually without Gronk. How do you replace that kind of production? What would you have done differently to score against the best pass-rushing defense in the game?    

Bs aren't good enough in an even match up SB, though.  We have had an OC problem here since Charlie Weis left.  Pretending you don't need to run the ball, basically telling the D you won't and repeating the same mistake over and over might actually be worthy of a D or maybe even an F. There's such a thing as having a feel for calling plays in the NFL. Veteran coordinators are very good at it, the younger ones/newer ones have a lot to learn.

RESPONSE: Perhaps if the Patriots had a Corey Dillon on the roster, you could make that case. But, BJGE and Danny Woodhead?? Please.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

LBs grade is too high.  Mayo out of position all day - did he make a tackle?  And he blew the pick in the slot by not having any concept of what was going on.  Here's a hint Mayo:  Manning threw a slant to Cruz - just like he always does.

Special Teams:  Thought they did terrible - a D grade.  Edelmann returned a ball to the 15 instead of taking a knee.  mesko's punts were atrocious.  Coverage on the KO following the TD to make it 17 - 9 was also lousy allowing Jints to start at the 35 and go down and get a FG

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

LBs grade is too high.  Mayo out of position all day - did he make a tackle?

RESPONSE: Uhhh, yeah. He and Spikes led the team in tackles, with 11 each.

And he blew the pick in the slot by not having any concept of what was going on.  Here's a hint Mayo:  Manning threw a slant to Cruz - just like he always does.

RESPONSE: Good teams are going to make plays on occasion.

Special Teams:  Thought they did terrible - a D grade.  Edelmann returned a ball to the 15 instead of taking a knee.  mesko's punts were atrocious.  Coverage on the KO following the TD to make it 17 - 9 was also lousy allowing Jints to start at the 35 and go down and get a FG

RESPONSE: I covered most of this in the special teams section of my report card. I gave them a C.
         No question that the Giants outplayed them in this area. G-men punter Steve Weatherford had a great game...putting the Pats inside their own 10 yard line on three different occasions. His initial punt in the first quarter made the Pats start from their own 3 yard line...which led to the Brady intentional grounding in the end zone safety.    

Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

TP: Thanks for all your post game assessments this season. An Arghhhhh! is my response to this loss- which is very very tough given the opponent and circumstances. Not quite as mind numbing painful as sb42 but still tough.
    I wouldn't give the coaching staff or BB an A for this one. 12th man penalty, unsuccessful challenge that cost precious seconds and a time out and some questionable play calls impacted the PATS game in a negative way. Not an A game which is surprising.
    TB was off at times and so on at others as you noted. Just weird with the safety to start and the dropped passes to end the game. Ouch.
    The D? Well they were okay- and some players were better than others. I agree that Spikes is turning into a real force and Anderson turns it on every game. There were a couple of fumbles that D missed and no INT. Yep, I wanted to see play makers.
    I think special teams was probably the weakest link. That's gotta change.
    All that said, I am really happy to be a Pats fan. This season was a great ride.
    Love the organization BB, TB and the team. The future looks bright.
    Onward.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

I don't know how you can so easily shift blame from Brady. The safety was HUGE!
    Those 2 points were the difference between having to score a TD and kicking a FG. And no one here seems to be pointing out the throw behind the back of a wide open Welker. Brady contributed to the loss as much as any other offensive player if not more.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

TP: Thanks for all your post game assessments this season. An Arghhhhh! is my response to this loss- which is very very tough given the opponent and circumstances. Not quite as mind numbing painful as sb42 but still tough. I wouldn't give the coaching staff or BB an A for this one. 12th man penalty, unsuccessful challenge that cost precious seconds and a time out and some questionable play calls impacted the PATS game in a negative way.

RESPONSE: BB had to challenge that play. Because Eli Manning and his mates were alertly running up to the line of scrimmage to get off a play, BB didn't have time to check out a replay. With regards to the "questionable play calls", which calls are you referring to? 
         That said, you're right about the 12 men on the field call. It cost the Pats a N.Y. turnover.  

Not an A game which is surprising. TB was off at times and so on at others as you noted. Just weird with the safety to start and the dropped passes to end the game. Ouch.

RESPONSE: Without a healthy Gronk, Tom seemed lost, early on. 

The D? Well they were okay- and some players were better than others. I agree that Spikes is turning into a real force and Anderson turns it on every game. There were a couple of fumbles that D missed and no INT.

RESPONSE: They didn't "miss" the fumbles...they just didn't get the bounces. One of these days, the Pats will have a break go their way against the G-men.

Yep, I wanted to see play makers. I think special teams was probably the weakest link. That's gotta change.

RESPONSE: Don't see it that way. How could the Pats stop what Giants' punter Steve Weatherford did. The guy nailed them inside of their own 10 yard line three times...the first leading to the safety.

All that said, I am really happy to be a Pats fan. This season was a great ride. Love the organization BB, TB and the team. The future looks bright. Onward.

RESPONSE: Tough loss, my friend. But, I'm proud of the way the Patriots played. The Giants made one more play than they did.
    Posted by darwk

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Tex,

In all seriousness, I know you're a HUGE Patriot fan, but so am I. With all due respect, I think you're way off the mark with some of the critical grades here.

Start with Mr Brady. I have him at a SOLID "D". The long TD drive? He's SUPPOSED to make that drive, given his tag of "greatness". But, once again this season, he was NOT sharp and on target. Sure, guys dropped the ball, but several of those throws, although catchable, were of target. Better throws, and we're probably not having this conversation. When the money was on the table, Brady "sevened out". And that long pass/ INT.... What was that all about???? That would have been a tough play for a healthy Gronk! Plus, the ball was underthrown. If you have to disrupt your normal rhythm to allow a hobbled Gronk to get in position to throw the ball, then YOU DON'T THROW IT!!!!! If as a QB you see that Gronl is going downfield wih single coverage by a LB, and there's NO separation, ya throw the ball someplace else!! Poor decision on his part. a 25.1 QB rating in the 4th qtr, despite drops by his receivers is not a good way tyot win a game, let alone a SB. 

Running game: No higher than a "C". They we pure vanilla (I believe artificial flavoring).

WR's and TE's: Anything more than a "D" here is a miscarriage of just grading. I in my living room could tell Tom was not "on" his game. I saw nothing from his receiving corps that hinted of helping him out. And those drops....... Sure, some would have been really nice highlight reel catches, but some others......  Welker catches that pass 12 out of 10 times. Hernandez doesn't drop balls right in his hands, and Branch played like a rookie.

I can accept the OL grade.

The defense overall gets a "D". How many 3 and outs did they force on the Giants? Can you say "none"? After going up 17-9, everyone I know was thinking the same thing: NOW'S the time for their first 3 and out; time to take control and make that proverbial statement. So what happens? They allow a 10 play, 4:37 drive ending with a FG. What happens when the Pats get teh kickoff? 3 and out, -2 yrd drive. THAT was the back breaker. The Giants had the ball for over 15 minutes longer than the Pats... that's a whole quarter. Yes, they gave up FG's in lieu of TD's, but it was only a matter of time.

DL: C+; they got worn down as the game went on. But, they did nothing to limit their time on the field either. This was NOT a championship type defense, and many of us have been saying this all season. It showed.

LB's : C  They were active, but reminded me of the Chinese Fire Drill Team. Running is good, but not without a purpose. Four defendes jumping on a Giant on his freaking way to the ground is not good, especially when ignoring the possibility of recovering a possible fumble. Oh! That did happen, didn't it?

DB's: D  With a 2 point lead and less than 4 minutes to play you DO NOT allow an opposing WR get behind you. Manningham made a great sideline catch, BEHIND a DB and Chung not mattering on the play. Perhaps Chung should have gone for the ball instead of delivering a hard hit to the body?

Coaching? Solid "C". They can come up with and install the game plan, but it's the players that have to perform. I can't condemn them for that. But, I hit the score hard for lack of motivational sideline instruction during the game..... there was plenty of opportunity for coaches to get in player's grills, but it didn't happen.

Bottom line is this: the Giants offense controlled the ball a whole quarter longer over the 31st ranked defense. The Pats, the #2 ranked offense in the NFL couldn't light up the #28 ranked defense. So much for an "improving and learning" defense.

Injuries? Don't want to hear about them. Everyone has them. if you dress out, there is an expectation that you will perform. Note that the Giants aren't whining about their TWO TE's getting injured during the game.

Disappointed in the end result. When Eli took teh field with under 4 minutes left, I felt strangely like I did on that fateful night in October, 2003, when Pedro was on fumes, and The Manager Who Will Not Be Named left him in for 3 runs worth in the bottome of the 9th in NY. This SB should have amd COULD have been different, if.......

I don't mind losing like they did to the Bears and Packers. But this game was on them. despite their own ineptitude, they STILL had a chance to win with 1 minute left, and dropped their chance.

Hoping for a better 2012 result.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Tex, In all seriousness, I know you're a HUGE Patriot fan, but so am I. With all due respect, I think you're way off the mark with some of the critical grades here. Start with Mr Brady. I have him at a SOLID "D". The long TD drive? He's SUPPOSED to make that drive, given his tag of "greatness". But, once again this season, he was NOT sharp and on target. Sure, guys dropped the ball, but several of those throws, although catchable, were of target. Better throws, and we're probably not having this conversation. When the money was on the table, Brady "sevened out". And that long pass/ INT.... What was that all about???? That would have been a tough play for a healthy Gronk! Plus, the ball was underthrown. If you have to disrupt your normal rhythm to allow a hobbled Gronk to get in position to throw the ball, then YOU DON'T THROW IT!!!!! If as a QB you see that Gronl is going downfield wih single coverage by a LB, and there's NO separation, ya throw the ball someplace else!! Poor decision on his part. a 25.1 QB rating in the 4th qtr, despite drops by his receivers is not a good way tyot win a game, let alone a SB.  Running game: No higher than a "C". They we pure vanilla (I believe artificial flavoring). WR's and TE's: Anything more than a "D" here is a miscarriage of just grading. I in my living room could tell Tom was not "on" his game. I saw nothing from his receiving corps that hinted of helping him out. And those drops....... Sure, some would have been really nice highlight reel catches, but some others......  Welker catches that pass 12 out of 10 times. Hernandez doesn't drop balls right in his hands, and Branch played like a rookie. I can accept the OL grade. The defense overall gets a "D". How many 3 and outs did they force on the Giants? Can you say "none"? After going up 17-9, everyone I know was thinking the same thing: NOW'S the time for their first 3 and out; time to take control and make that proverbial statement. So what happens? They allow a 10 play, 4:37 drive ending with a FG. What happens when the Pats get teh kickoff? 3 and out, -2 yrd drive. THAT was the back breaker. The Giants had the ball for over 15 minutes longer than the Pats... that's a whole quarter. Yes, they gave up FG's in lieu of TD's, but it was only a matter of time. DL: C+; they got worn down as the game went on. But, they did nothing to limit their time on the field either. This was NOT a championship type defense, and many of us have been saying this all season. It showed. LB's : C  They were active, but reminded me of the Chinese Fire Drill Team. Running is good, but not without a purpose. Four defendes jumping on a Giant on his freaking way to the ground is not good, especially when ignoring the possibility of recovering a possible fumble. Oh! That did happen, didn't it? DB's: D  With a 2 point lead and less than 4 minutes to play you DO NOT allow an opposing WR get behind you. Manningham made a great sideline catch, BEHIND a DB and Chung not mattering on the play. Perhaps Chung should have gone for the ball instead of delivering a hard hit to the body? Coaching? Solid "C". They can come up with and install the game plan, but it's the players that have to perform. I can't condemn them for that. But, I hit the score hard for lack of motivational sideline instruction during the game..... there was plenty of opportunity for coaches to get in player's grills, but it didn't happen. Bottom line is this: the Giants offense controlled the ball a whole quarter longer over the 31st ranked defense. The Pats, the #2 ranked offense in the NFL couldn't light up the #28 ranked defense. So much for an "improving and learning" defense. Injuries? Don't want to hear about them. Everyone has them. if you dress out, there is an expectation that you will perform. Note that the Giants aren't whining about their TWO TE's getting injured during the game. Disappointed in the end result. When Eli took teh field with under 4 minutes left, I felt strangely like I did on that fateful night in October, 2003, when Pedro was on fumes, and The Manager Who Will Not Be Named left him in for 3 runs worth in the bottome of the 9th in NY. This SB should have amd COULD have been different, if....... I don't mind losing like they did to the Bears and Packers. But this game was on them. despite their own ineptitude, they STILL had a chance to win with 1 minute left, and dropped their chance. Hoping for a better 2012 result.
    Posted by AZPAT

See, this is where you show you have absolutely no idea what the hell you're talking about. A QB can't put up a 91 and be a "D". Some of you are so ridiculously f'n spoiled.

Really, I'm so sick and tired of the f'n stupidity around here.

Bottom line is; the D failed at the end in 3 of our 4 losses this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I don't know how you can so easily shift blame from Brady. The safety was HUGE! Those 2 points were the difference between having to score a TD and kicking a FG. And no one here seems to be pointing out the throw behind the back of a wide open Welker. Brady contributed to the loss as much as any other offensive player if not more.
    Posted by glenr

Stop being dumb.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

You'll take an abundance of heat for this report card. In my opinion, however, this may be the most accurate of the year. Not a fan of report cards for the most part because they tend to take away from the winning team, after all, what could be more discrediting to the Giants than saying the Patriot team they beat was only an "F" worthy? That said, Thanks for putting in the effort all year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Giants were good but lucky too.  This 49er fan(45 years in SF) and 1st 21 in Maine so a Boston team fan first needs to vent.  NY beats Green Bay and Rodgers said that the loss of a son by a coach affected him and many players deeply---was this an excuse on his part that GB played poorly ? Maybe and Maybe not !  But I was at the SF game and a fluke bounce hitting the receiver's knee by 1/2 inch gives NY the ball at 20 yd line & they score a TD. There were other breaks…Bradshaw stripped of the ball while upright causing a fumble at NY 20 yard line but refs called play stopped “In The Grasp” and couldn’t be challenged.  On 2 occasions there were 2 not 1 SF defenders knocking down a pass but also colliding preventing interceptions.  The same receiver who had the ball nick his knee---he was a replacement for 49er regular kick off return man, Ted Ginn, who was hurt---in OT fumbles and gives NY a gift wrapped win with a 20 yd field goal in OT. Manning was hit 21 times and sacked 6 times. NY needed to punt 10 times in 2nd half and only scored their 10 points on a TD from the fluke bounce ball & a field goal in OT from the fumble. If the Giant fans did not admit they were lucky to win that game they are not true football fans !!!

The first drive by Giants resulting in a safety giving them 2 pts was the first step toward gifts to NY. On the next drive the Pats’ defense results in a fumble at about the 10 yd line I think and they recover but had 12 men on the field. NY then went on to score and led 9 to 0. The Pats then go on to score 17 points in a row.  And in that same period they caused 2 NY fumbles and as luck would have it, the Giants recovered both times. Then Gronkowski, supposedly hampered with his ankle, still outran a Giant defender but in front of him at 6’6” might have caught Brady’s interception. Watch the replay, the defender also waves off Gronk with right arm, slight yes, but still could have been called for interference. Then, of course, the dropped passes by Welker & Hernandez which were claimed to not be on target still should have been caught. These would have continued to give the Pats possession. I don’t have stats but NY had to have had the ball 1 1/2 times as long in the game as we did and I believe on their last drive our defense was fatigued.  Also, Brady made 16 passes in a row surpassing Montana’s SB record of 13. With NE ahead 17-9, it’s still only a 1 score game needing a 2 pt conversion.  We tried to kill the clock running the ball and needing to pass on 3rd down.  We do not have the backs to sustain running play 1st down drives. We needed to continue to pass…short 5 yarders perhaps as Brady was under constant pressure and I know this this not run the clock down but keeping possession by passes does. If we had more than an 8 point lead, yup, perhaps run the ball twice in a possession.

As opposed to the 49ers, the Pats did not pressure Manning as much. On the last possession from the 12 yd line the miracle acrobatic pass to Manningham was excruciating as I saw while refs still did not confirm the play that he was in bounds. Incredible that Welker & Hernandez drop much easier balls and this guy was able to stay in bounds and hold on to the ball as he was hit pretty hard too---skill in Mannings throw & the catch too but still very lucky !!!

Anyway, during the week Brady was compared to Joe Montana. Joe was his childhood hero and he watched him practice in 49ers training grounds in Santa Clara, Ca. I believe Joe always praised Brady as opposed to some comments people felt he didn’t.  But Montana’s real claim to fame was his ability to produce a winning drive with under 2 minutes. Brady had a chance to do so but it was Manning, ala Montana, who executed the 88 yard clock killing drive.

Giants were good but, I reiterate, lucky too. But there is a feeling in sports that good players are lucky.

Amen

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I stand my post the Belichick and the coaching staff get a big fat F for the Super Bowl. Coughlin played the same game he play in the regular season and the last Super Bowl and beat the Patriots with it for a third straight time. How can we not figure it out?

The offense was unimaginative and was still relying on Gronk when he was way less than 100%. The defense both bent (for two FGs and broke for the TD) in the second half. All round the Giants simply outplayed the Patriots. When get outplayed on both sides of the ball, you have been outcoached. Coaching is both preparing your players for what is going to come and getting to play to their fullest potential during the game. Not too mention making adjustments (the Patriots are once again outscored in the second half of the game).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think Belichick had a good game plan. Giants probably had a little more talent, overall.  I know I am in the minority on this , but I would not have punted to the Giants with four minutes left and a two point lead. I would have gone for it on fourth and eleven from the Giant's forty-five. I think you have to try and control the ball and the clock in that situation. I realize that the punt was the percentage move there , but I have seen the Giants drive down the field too many times. The field position was not really a factor.  I had no faith that the Pats could get a stop , and N.Y. was able to eat too much time.  Just feel it was worth the gamble to go for it.  As I said , I know that is not the standard thinking.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I stand my post the Belichick and the coaching staff get a big fat F for the Super Bowl. Coughlin played the same game he play in the regular season and the last Super Bowl and beat the Patriots with it for a third straight time. How can we not figure it out? The offense was unimaginative and was still relying on Gronk when he was way less than 100%.

RESPONSE: What evidence do you have that the Pats were relying on Gronk? Brady threw to him only three times...and one of those was in desperation. I can't remember the last time that Gronk was so ignored as a weapon.

The defense both bent (for two FGs and broke for the TD) in the second half. All round the Giants simply outplayed the Patriots. When get outplayed on both sides of the ball, you have been outcoached.

RESPONSE: So...it's all coaching then, and talent means nothing? Give Eli a wounded Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, and the other nondescripts at WR and RB, and give Tom Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, Bradshaw, Jacobs, and the Giants' TEs...and watch the scoreboard light up for the Pats. Face it, the Giants have more talent. Tom needs more weapons...and I'm not even going to go into the discrepancy of pass-rushing talent on the two teams.

Coaching is both preparing your players for what is going to come and getting to play to their fullest potential during the game. Not too mention making adjustments (the Patriots are once again outscored in the second half of the game).

RESPONSE: BB did just that. He had a less talented team on both sides of the ball...yet his team was in a position to win at the end. The Giants simply made the plays they needed to at the end, while the Pats didn't. It's no more complicated than that.
         Frank, if Welker and Brady make that play with 3:46 left, are we even having this conversation?    

Posted by FrnkBnhm

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

TP:  Like you I'm proud of the way the Pats played in superbowl and all season. I was a tad cranky yesterday and have not watched the game again. My thinking on questioning some of the play calls was most likely tainted by the fact the Pats were only on the field for 23 minutes. A couple of plays when TB went long I was surprised they weren't using the running game. And the clock management at the end of the game- always open for speculation caused me to think that BB shouldn't have used a challenge.
    As you know BB ultimately let the Giants score a TD so the Pats could get the ball back with a few more seconds on the clock. A gutsy call I totally agreed with.
    The play calls on offense have looked a little schizophrenic to me at times especially at the end of the season and in the play offs. Don't know if this is OB's doing, but not sorry to see him go.
    Giants punter was amazing. Backed Pats up everytime.
    No answers on Pats side for this.
    I know there is a certain amount of luck involved in the bounce of the ball for D. But I did expect there to be a fumble recovery or INT.
    All in all this season BB did make lemonade out of lemons with the D.
    I am still will always be a huge fan of Tom Brady and Wes Welker. Stating the obvious but the Pats would not have been in the SB without them.
    I'd like to see Branch back next year and of course the Pats TE duo is a huge positive moving forward.

This board is currently polluted with trolls of every stripe. Been awhile since I've seen so many anxious to pore salt in the wound. Whatever.
    Patriots are and will be a force to be reckoned with long after the trolls crawl back into their caves.
    Love this team.

In Response to Re: Giants v. Patriots SB REPORT CARD :
    Posted by TexasPat3

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

That's exactly what they did. Brady only threw to Gronk three times...once in desperation.

What else could they have done? They didn't have a back-up TE on the roster, and Solder was needed at OT. who could they have played that was a better option than Gronk at 50%?

I wonder why did Gronk even dress-up? A decoy doesn't catch balls! In 2 weeks of preparation the coaches didn't find a way to play without Gronk...

Underwood an option at WR?? LOL!!!

Yes, it is laughable but as painful as it is he was the only option they had left at WR. The coaching staff had the draft, the free-agency and the whole season to find a 3rd option at receiver and they didn't manage that. As crazy as it sounds they could have signed Moss just for that game. He could have even been a better decoy than a one legged Gronk.

What's done is done. The Pats had the chance to take speedy Baltimore Ravens' WR Torrie Smith at #56...but went with RB Shane Vereen instead. Rest assured that BB will make some moves over the next few months to strengthen the WR corp. He also needs to add a third TE.

BB loves TEs so I am sure he will draft one but somehow the Pats are not able to hit on WRs. High talented WRs are to be found in the first round of the draft but BB will never use a 1rst on a WR...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Giants v. Patriots SB REPORT CARD : I wonder why did Gronk even dress-up? A decoy doesn't catch balls! In 2 weeks of preparation the coaches didn't find a way to play without Gronk... Yes, it is laughable but as painful as it is he was the only option they had left at WR. The coaching staff had the draft, the free-agency and the whole season to find a 3rd option at receiver and they didn't manage that. As crazy as it sounds they could have signed Moss just for that game. He could have even been a better decoy than a one legged Gronk.

RESPONSE: The trio of Welker, Hernandez, and Gronk have camouflaged the Pats' glaring weakness at WR all season. But, when Gronk got hurt, and couldn't perform in the SB...it reared it's ugly head. Look for Branch and Ocho to be gone next season...and for the Pats to being aboard two new, more athletic WRs,  and another TE.  

BB loves TEs so I am sure he will draft one but somehow the Pats are not able to hit on WRs. High talented WRs are to be found in the first round of the draft but BB will never use a 1rst on a WR...

RESPONSE: This isn't necessarily so. Off the top of my head, Mike Wallace, Brandon Marshall, Mario Manningham, Steve Smith, and Vincent Jackson were all 3rd round picks. Deion Branch, DeSean Jackson, Devin Hester, Torrie Smith, Greg Jennings, and Jordy Nelson were second rounders. Marques Colston, David Givens, and Stevie Johnson were 7th rounders. Wes Welker, Joshua Cribbs, Victor Cruz, and Miles Austin were free agents. 
    Posted by FrogLegs

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Well my friends, it's been an exciting season, albeit with a very disappointing ending. But, winning the AFC title isn't too shabby. If the team can get this loss out of their system, and have a strong off-season, I see no reason why the Patriots can't repeat as AFC champs. After all, who in the AFC is appreciably better than our Patriots ?

But, to win a championship, they must improve. The NFC, in the form of the Giants, Packers, 49ers, and Saints, looks very strong. The Pats need to add a pass-rusher, a two quality WRs, a FS, a TE, upgrade the interior of their OL, and the RB spot. BB turned the AFC title loss in Indy into a crusade, and added some great talent in the 2007 off-season. Perhaps he can work wonders again in 2012?  

I know that many of you are down in the dumps about the SB loss. But, how would y'all feel if you were a Jaguars or Redskins fan...LOL!! The Pats', playing with an ineffective Gronk, did themselves proud in Indy. Both SB teams played hard, and it's a shame that either had to lose.

Be of good cheer, my friends. There are more important things in life than a football game. Enjoy your kids and your family. In the end, that's what really counts.  

To my friends, thank you for another year of great conversation and fun. To those of you who aren't my friends, I bear no hard feelings...and I hope you feel the same. 

Time to take a break and enjoy other things in life beside our beloved New England Patriots. Take care, my fellow posters. See you around draft time. 

TP.     

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

My question is simple. If Ochocinco is so bad for this team because he doesn't get the complicated offense, why in his limited snaps is he always open or throwing a useful block? So in the biggest game of the year, the star tight end is gimped up and useless so the veteran former star wide out gets wide open on a beautiful down and out that looked like taking candy from a baby early in the second half and his reward, the fans reward, his teammates reward is, he gets to sit the rest of the game. I wish Boston had beat reporters and journalists who asked questions like this and the many others relevant ones I see on this board.

Sections
Shortcuts