Giants v. Patriots SB REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jporcus. Show jporcus's posts

Re: Giants v. Patriots SB REPORT CARD

As important as it is for Belichick to win his fourth title to pull even with Chuck Noll, it’s infinitely more imperative that Belichick and the Patriots officially wash the stink off a scandal which began a decade ago. A championship on Sunday won’t make Spygate go away, but it will prove that Belichick’s most valuable coaching tool in winning a title wasn’t sold by Kodak.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: Giants v. Patriots SB REPORT CARD:
    As important as it is for Belichick to win his fourth title to pull even with Chuck Noll, it’s infinitely more imperative that Belichick and the Patriots officially wash the stink off a scandal which began a decade ago. A championship on Sunday won’t make Spygate go away, but it will prove that Belichick’s most valuable coaching tool in winning a title wasn’t sold by Kodak.
    Posted by jporcus

Even if he wins, outside of New England (where we already do not care), the spygate scandall will always stay with him. That is what the haters around the country will always point at.

At this point, even if Belichick gets the fourth title at 4-2 in the Super Bowl. He will be behind Noll (4-0), Bill Walsh (3-0). I would put him in the second tier with Joe Gibbs (3-1) who gets extra credit from me for winning with three different non-Hall of Fame QBs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

In Response to Re: Giants v. Patriots SB REPORT CARD :      Sorry...but when your offense doesn't score in the final 26:20 of a game, your team loses. Be fair...Manning and Manningham made a great play. Besides, wasn't it too much to expect for the "D" to hold the Giants under 20 points in this game? If you knew going into the game that the Giants would only score 21 points, you probably would have felt pretty good about that. 
    Posted by TexasPat
    Not me we don't score a lot of points when we play good teams. I'm not really counting the denver junk are you. LAST year really scored 11, year before 14, 2007 bowl 17. Why would you feel good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Texas Pat, Thanks for the great work all season long. I was so devastated about the loss that I couldn't come here sooner. Your analysis is pretty much spot on. A couple of crucial penalties, bad bounces on the fumbles and Welker's late drop---all killers! It also irritated me that on our last crucial drive we continued the ineffective first down runs offf tackle. Brady had just 2 downs to work with on our last possession and couldn't make it work. I know that we were trying to run clock but the fact that Welker had the longest run of the day from scrimmage should say something about the sorry state of our running attack. Finally I wouldn't have challenged the late completion and I would have let the Giants score sooner so that we would have had 2 minutes or so and 2 time outs to answer back instead of 50 seconds and 1 time out. Thanks again!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Good report TPAT. I agree with all your assessments.

There are some fans on here who won't be happy unless the pats win games 50-0. Giants made more plays than the Pats. The Pats simply got beat. I'm heart broken, don't get me wrong. I was so sick to my stomach after the game, I could have hurled. But the Pats have nothing to be ashamed about. No one in the league thought the Pats would be in the Superbowl after the lost to the Giants in the regular season. Every analyst wrote em off throughout the year. We have a great season and BB arguably did his best coaching job.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Good report TPAT. I agree with all your assessments. There are some fans on here who won't be happy unless the pats win games 50-0. Giants made more plays than the Pats. The Pats simply got beat. I'm heart broken, don't get me wrong. I was so sick to my stomach after the game, I could have hurled. But the Pats have nothing to be ashamed about. No one in the league thought the Pats would be in the Superbowl after the lost to the Giants in the regular season. Every analyst wrote em off throughout the year. We have a great season and BB arguably did his best coaching job.
    Posted by 4Adam13

I would be happy with winning games 2-0.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I'd give the Defense a B+.  They held the Giants to under 20 points.  which is very, very good, particularly considering the Gs were given 2 possessions back to back to start the game.  They sacked Manning a couple of times.

Brady gets a B- but his play was very uneven.  An F- in Q1.  A+ in Q2 and Q3.  And C in Q4.  That hit he took late in the game roughed up his shoulder and he wasn't the same afterwards.  Still, he gave the team a chance to win.

Don't see how Coaching gets an A.  BB created the team.  He put together the game plans.  The RBs get criticism because they aren't very good, but those guys are on the team because of BB.

I think that if Brady's left shoulder doesn't get whacked in the 2nd half, the Pats win.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Well done. Somehow the D didn't seem to be a "B" across the board though. No Gronk, Welker's drop and no turnovers were the difference in this nail biter. Screw the Giants, and especially their fans.
    Posted by BabeParilli

It's two o'clock. Do your children know where you are? Time to move on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Coaching is an A? I give the D gameplan and coaching an A, but the offensive situation with how O'Brien chose to go about it, was more like, at best a C. Final grade on that is more like a B/B-. Everythign was going in the right direction at half time, in the 3rd qtr, etc, but O'Brien became drunk and just did it again.  I am laughing why PSU even hired this guy. I've never seen someone just get propped up as someone who is good or great at what they do like this, short of Eric Manboobs doing something similar, but at least O'Brien spent 3 years on the job. He just failed at it. Bs aren't good enough in an even match up SB, though.  We have had an OC problem here since Charlie Weis left.  Pretending you don't need to run the ball, basically telling the D you won't and repeating the same mistake over and over might actually be worthy of a D or maybe even an F. There's such a thing as having a feel for calling plays in the NFL. Veteran coordinators are very good at it, the younger ones/newer ones have a lot to learn.
    Posted by RustyGriswold

You could apply for the OC position and just bump Mac out. I have a friend who works for the Pats organization. And this guy is one of many that breaks down film for BB. Maybe he can let you in the door. In his case, he merely asked if he could be involved with the team even if it meant carrying BB's spit bucket around. No lie. I've had all 3 of the their SB rings on one hand once compliments of my buddy. America, what a country.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RhinebeckBostonian. Show RhinebeckBostonian's posts

Good summary.  But, Hernandez dropped a ball on the final drive that would have moved us 10 yards closer.  I can't blame Welker just like I can't blame Buckner,,,there were plenty of missed opptys to close the game out after that play (yes, I recall Buckner's play lost us the game but not the WS). 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RhinebeckBostonian. Show RhinebeckBostonian's posts

[QUOTE]I think Belichick had a good game plan.

I don't know why Faulk wasn't in their plans.  A running back with a penchant for big plays, a good set of hands coming out of the backfield.  Seemed like it would have added to Brady's arsenal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In Response to Re: Giants v. Patriots SB REPORT CARD :
    I think Belichick had a good game plan. I don't know why Faulk wasn't in their plans.  A running back with a penchant for big plays, a good set of hands coming out of the backfield.  Seemed like it would have added to Brady's arsenal.
    Posted by RhinebeckBostonian

Additional ?. Why activate Ridley only not to play him?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sultan of Suffolk. Show Sultan of Suffolk's posts

Giants were good but lucky too.  This 49er fan(45 years in SF) and 1st 21 in Maine so a Boston team fan first needs to vent.  NY beats Green Bay and Rodgers said that the loss of a son by a coach affected him and many players deeply---was this an excuse on his part that GB played poorly ? Maybe and Maybe not !  But I was at the SF game and a fluke bounce hitting the receiver's knee by 1/2 inch gives NY the ball at 20 yd line & they score a TD. There were other breaks…Bradshaw stripped of the ball while upright causing a fumble at NY 20 yard line but refs called play stopped “In The Grasp” and couldn’t be challenged.  On 2 occasions there were 2 not 1 SF defenders knocking down a pass but also colliding preventing interceptions.  The same receiver who had the ball nick his knee---he was a replacement for 49er regular kick off return man, Ted Ginn, who was hurt---in OT fumbles and gives NY a gift wrapped win with a 20 yd field goal in OT.

It amuses me when Niner fans bring up the two Williams turnovers. They all suffer from a blackout of the memory of the Hunter fumble towards the end of the first quarter on the Niner 26 yard line. The ball bounced right into the waiting arms of Osi Umenyiora, but a Niner grabbed the ball from Osi before he could secure it. Who was that disaster-saving Niner? Williams! (He also had two excellent returns.) The Niners managed their 13-3 record (with a creampuff schedule) due to their league-leading +28 turnover differential. The Giants gave them no fumbles and no interceptions. Live by the turnover, die by the turnover.

The real reason the Niners, with the best defense in the NFL, lost to the Giants was their Arena Football quarterback Alex Smith. Twelve completed forward passes. Who wins the NFC with that stat? He missed open receivers by yards. He didn't even try to get the ball to receivers open enough for almost all other NFL quarterbacks. If the Niners had a top ten quarterback this season, they are the best team in the league.

Sections
Shortcuts