Giants

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Giants

Were you (4 men , or ladies of a certain age), a Giants fan before the creation of the Patriots? I was as that is all we saw on television when I was young  Gifford Conerly  Y A , Tunell Rosey Brow n and Grier, Huff. How long did it take for the Pats to cure you, or are you still infected?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

Re: Giants

No.  I wasn't a football fan at all until I moved to Massachusetts in '67 at the age of 26.  I became a Patriot fan right away.  BTW, I grew up on the lower east side of NY and was a strong Yankee fan. I lost interest in baseball by the time I went to (a local) college.  It wasn't until '73 when my younger son was 6 and a strong Red Sox fan that I took an interest in it the.  Since I didn't know any of the Yankee players I rooted for two teams -- the Red Sox and any team that played the Yankees, but I am really just a Patriots fan.  The other teams it is when they are in the playoffs that I (sometimes) watch on TV.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

terrible thread name

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I wasn't a football fan until '66, and was never a Giants fan. But there were plenty around at that time in NE. As a matter of fact being an AFL fan was being a target for derision in those days.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Yeah prob should hav used Jints

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

yea or "terrible team"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Were you (4 men , or ladies of a certain age), a Giants fan before the creation of the Patriots? I was as that is all we saw on television when I was young  Gifford Conerly  Y A , Tunell Rosey Brow n and Grier, Huff. How long did it take for the Pats to cure you, or are you still infected?

[/QUOTE]

Yes...  because that is all I recall seeing on TV when it came to pro football.. all NY Giants. Not because I liked New York, but, they were close.  I recall all these players.

Then, when the AFL came around, we finally had a team for New England and not needing to  have an allegiance to only the NFL.  Once the merger happened, GO PATS!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

I became a Giants fan (my first team was always the Patriots, even in the dark gloomy days) when Parcells became DC with the Giants the second time after a brief stint with the Patriots. I just liked the guy and his combative coaching style.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Since i was a young buck I shat on anything New York.  I grew up a Jordan and Barry Sanders fan, because Boston Sports sucked when I was growing up.  I stayed loyal and waited for Boston to do something, and to be honest I think I can appreciate more now then I would have as a kid.  What a run -- and our teams are built for the long haul.  With exception to the Celtics but what a beginning to a rebuilding period.  Ainge did well.  Looks like those Brooklyn picks are going to be high picks afterall!  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm not a Giants fan, but growing up they seemed to always be on TV. I was a Bill Parcells fan and loved the Gatorade baths, especially when Carson would dress in disguise and the cameras would get him. Jim Burt going into the stands with fans and how could anyone not like Mark Bavaro?

Good post Bilge, just brought a smile to my face as I watched alot of these games with my grandfather.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Too young for those days myself, I started following right around the time they shipped Plunkett out and turned the reigns over to Grogan---but Western Mass has always remained fertile ground for Giants fans as I'm sure Babe and Wozzy can attest to. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I didn't start being a fan until 1968. never like the Jints. Always rooted for the Patriots(AFL), and Baltimore(NFL) during the remaining Johnny U years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

funny, because I was also a Giants baseball fan as my national league team, after hearing Bobby Thomsons home run on the radio as a kid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not a Giants fan, but growing up they seemed to always be on TV. I was a Bill Parcells fan and loved the Gatorade baths, especially when Carson would dress in disguise and the cameras would get him. Jim Burt going into the stands with fans and how could anyone not like Mark Bavaro?

Good post Bilge, just brought a smile to my face as I watched alot of these games with my grandfather.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the OP wasn't talking about the 80s, he's talking 50s/60s. Ancient times, before my time even!

It would never occur to me to root for a NY team when I became aware of pro sports in the early 70s. But I know there were Giant fans in the area in those days.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

No. Have hated the Giants for almost 30 years--and Im still in my 30's!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Too young for those days myself, I started following right around the time they shipped Plunkett out and turned the reigns over to Grogan---but Western Mass has always remained fertile ground for Giants fans as I'm sure Babe and Wozzy can attest to. 

[/QUOTE]

Started on the Cape but moved out to Western Mass in 89.'  I wasn't around in the 60's and too young in the 70's, the Giants fans are all gone in Mass now, like a bad faded memory...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Back in the day the pats played on Friday nights so they could show the giants on Sundays On tv. Initially they were an AFL team and no one cared. 

The team’s practice site was a grassless high school field. For more than a decade, the Patriots’ home field changed so often that tickets were sometimes printed without listing a location for the game. It could end up being any of the Patriots’ “home” sites: Boston University, Fenway Park, Boston College, Harvard Stadium, even San Diego or Birmingham, Ala.

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/giants/100/6912113

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

never have or ever will be a Giants fan...............Pats 4 life

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Started on the Cape but moved out to Western Mass in 89.'  I wasn't around in the 60's and too young in the 70's, the Giants fans are all gone in Mass now, like a bad faded memory...

[/QUOTE]

Wozz you were supposed to back me up man, lol---beleive me, down around the Springfield area there are still plenty of P in the A Jints fans (Yankee fans abound as well)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I became a serious football fan in the early 70s (Jim Plunkett era).  For my generation, I think the temptation was to become a Dolphins fan more than a Giants fan.  I remember watching and admiring those Csonka, Kiick, Morris and Warfield teams and then the great Steelers teams in the mid seventies, but I was always a Pats fan first and foremost.  The Grogan-Fairbanks era was really the point when football became a weekly passion for me, and it was definitely the Pats, not the Giants or any other team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

Wozz you were supposed to back me up man, lol---beleive me, down around the Springfield area there are still plenty of P in the A Jints fans (Yankee fans abound as well)

[/QUOTE]

lol

I think Springfield is inundated with actual New Yorkers rather than New Englanders who like the Giants... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Im not gonna lie. My intro to football was Giants/ Cowboys. I was a Giants fan cuz I hated the boys and loved the Giants for being a defensive juggernaut and even had 2 starter jackets. The blue and the Black which I still havent seen anyone wear. As I got older, I grew out of football and didnt watch for years. I picked it back up in 96' when I became a bandwagon fan after hearing they were one game away from the bowl. The Sb was very exciting although not a good ending. My 1st SB I watched for real was Denver/Green Bay so I was sold and have been a real NFL fan since then. I was rooting for Denver because of the Pack beating our Pats. Elway was always a fav. of mine growing up tho' even before I knew who he was.The older Kids on the block would yell the name wheir fav. QB when throwing a pass and thats how I learned to know who was who. It would always be like "Elwaaaaay" or "Mariiinoooo"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

They played a game up here in bangor Maine years ago...pre season maybe...before my time but it oozed all over the natives. Not so much now. Still a few pukes running around.

Sections
Shortcuts