Gillette kinds sucks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Gillette kinds sucks?

Globe writer Eric Wilbur says the Razor kinda sucks. Do you agree?

I've been there a few times and it seems like a great stadium (A vast improvement over the old one, eh?). But I haven't been to any of these other newer stadiums. How does the Razor compare?

Wilber says...

"It’s not exactly like Kraft’s palace is on par with cold weather stadiums like MetLife in New Jersey and Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Yes, he spared taxpayers the borderline illegal burden of having to support an arena, as many other suckers have succumbed to. But really, Gillette is a second-rate NFL stadium.

Oh, the area around is great. If you want to buy some duds at Old Navy and a burger at Five Guys. The stadium though? It kinda sucks."

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2014/02/a_super_bowl_in_foxborough_worst_idea_ever.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OutofTownPATS Fan. Show OutofTownPATS Fan's posts

Re: Gillette kinds sucks?

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Globe writer Eric Wilbur says the Razor kinda sucks. Do you agree?

I've been there a few times and it seems like a great stadium (A vast improvement over the old one, eh?). But I haven't been to any of these other newer stadiums. How does the Razor compare?

Wilber says...

"It’s not exactly like Kraft’s palace is on par with cold weather stadiums like MetLife in New Jersey and Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Yes, he spared taxpayers the borderline illegal burden of having to support an arena, as many other suckers have succumbed to. But really, Gillette is a second-rate NFL stadium.

Oh, the area around is great. If you want to buy some duds at Old Navy and a burger at Five Guys. The stadium though? It kinda sucks."

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2014/02/a_super_bowl_in_foxborough_worst_idea_ever.html

[/QUOTE]

Metlife stadium doesnt kinda su  cks, it does. no character at all. just a billion dollar seating arrangement in the middle of a parking lot surounded by swamps.

Heinz field is kinda cool. few bars around the parking lots

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I just think it's kind of quiet there, the overall atmosphere in the stadium blows..it's different than it used to be. Now I'm not sure if it's the stadium itself that has caused this (rumor is you sit so far away from the action that it affects sound...and the design of the stadium causes sound to be lost), or if it's just that the Krafts have done such a nice job clearing out the riff raff that used to go to games there (loud drunks). I think it's a little bit of both.

I've been to several games there, I do agree it's not the same as the old stadium (in terms of noise, etc), but I think it's a pretty nice stadium. The area around it is very nice...the stores,the restaurants, etc...yet still I find that overall atmosphere to be lacking in what it used to be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

So, is Wilbur saying the taxpayers should have paid for the stadium and it would have been better?  Kraft builds a stadium with HIS money, while other teams go begging to the cities/states literally blackmailing them into building a stadium using taxpayer dollars.  I guess when it is not your money, you can complain.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Consider the idiocy of his article. We shouldn't get a Super Bowl because of hotel and transportation issues ( as well as the stadium ) but he thinks New England could host a winter Olympics.

After all having atheletes and spectators troop all over New England would be cake given that the area has no traffic problems.

Leave it to the Globe's poor excuses for writers to come up with that hallucination.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I just think it's kind of quiet there, the overall atmosphere in the stadium blows..it's different than it used to be. Now I'm not sure if it's the stadium itself that has caused this (rumor is you sit so far away from the action that it affects sound...and the design of the stadium causes sound to be lost), or if it's just that the Krafts have done such a nice job clearing out the riff raff that used to go to games there (loud drunks). I think it's a little bit of both.

I've been to several games there, I do agree it's not the same as the old stadium (in terms of noise, etc), but I think it's a pretty nice stadium. The area around it is very nice...the stores,the restaurants, etc...yet still I find that overall atmosphere to be lacking in what it used to be.

It would not seem so dull, noise wise, even without the drunks, if the fans were as rabid as those from Seattle.

Smiley

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The problem is the club seats or the people in the club seats. In the second section on both sides from 20 to 20 you don't get the fans in those seats that provide or generate the noise needed to provide that intense atmosphere you see in other stadiums around the league. Most of those fans spend time inside at the bar/food areas watching on TV or are just casual fans who were given those tickets for that particular week.

I agree with you regarding the the design of the stadium. The way it was constructed is just not optimal for holding noise.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The SB should be in warm weather cities, period. Miami, Tampa, LA, SD, New Orleans and if you want to get crazy, Vegas or maybe Orlando. It doesn't have to be in a city that has a team, does it?

I agree with the writer that Foxborough is not a proper venue. Not because of the stadium though. The stadiums (stadia?) in Miami, Tampa and SD are no better (but the weather sure is). They can dress up any stadium for a week.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The problem is the club seats or the people in the club seats. In the second section on both sides from 20 to 20 you don't get the fans in those seats that provide or generate the noise needed to provide that intense atmosphere you see in other stadiums around the league. Most of those fans spend time inside at the bar/food areas watching on TV or are just casual fans who were given those tickets for that particular week.

I agree with you regarding the the design of the stadium. The way it was constructed is just not optimal for holding noise.

[/QUOTE]

I've sat in club seats and I disagree. The bar/food area clears out at the beginning of the third quarter and everyone goes back outside.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think what Wilbur is saying is that "I have nothing to write, so let me throw this silly filler in that has been sitting in my desk drawer"...

the one note of interest is that Wilbur alludes to is Kraft wants a SB here 

only a dumbell wold think that a SB would be a Foxboro or Boston thing...of course all the neighboring areas would be included. Wilbur makes it seem like Providence hotels would not welcome a SB?? Maybe a SB would help facilitate better pub trans to the stadium as well...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah you're right, I've had some friends that have sat in those sections and they tell me if its cold most of the people just go inside - they're not there for the game - they're there for the party...the lifestyle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The SB should be in warm weather cities, period. Miami, Tampa, LA, SD, New Orleans and if you want to get crazy, Vegas or maybe Orlando. It doesn't have to be in a city that has a team, does it?

I agree with the writer that Foxborough is not a proper venue. Not because of the stadium though. The stadiums (stadia?) in Miami, Tampa and SD are no better (but the weather sure is). They can dress up any stadium for a week.

[/QUOTE]

Yet the SB and before that championship games were played in cold weather for decades and it didn't hurt thegame.

The ONLY reason why the NFL likes warm weather sites is because all the corporate sponsers prefer warm weather for their private tents and pregame events.

So is the Super Bowl for the real fans and teams or for the corporate sponsers and their non football fan mucky mucks?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've sat in club seats and I disagree. The bar/food area clears out at the beginning of the third quarter and everyone goes back outside.

[/QUOTE]

I have missed 3 games in the new stadium and  on average it takes at least 1/2 of the 3rd quarter before those seats are close to full after half. In bad weather they are never get close to being full.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think what Wilbur is saying is that "I have nothing to write, so let me throw this silly filler in that has been sitting in my desk drawer"...

only a dumbell wold think that a SB would be a Foxboro or Boston thing...of course all the neighboring areas would be included. Wilbur makes it seem like Providence hotels would not welcome a SB?? Maybe a SB would help facilitate better pub trans to the stadium as well...

[/QUOTE]

Every time I've come into town for a game I've stayed in Providence. It's an easier drive to the stadium than from Boston. Only a Globe idiot wouldn't know that many out of town fans stay there.

As for public trans... I used to take Amtrak from Syracuse to Buffalo for the Pats/Bills game every year but the train was cancelled due to problems with drunken fans. Fights, puking, you name it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

well, I'd have to disagree.

I've been to Gillette, Tampa Bay and Miami's stadiums.

Miami's is crap. total garb imo. It looks all nice with the bright colors and palm trees around the outside but dont let it fool you. its so plain and the seats never fill.

Tampa is actually nice. Good fans there, good atmosphere and stadium isnt bad.

Gillette was the best. it  was louder than Tampa or Miami (granted i went during the SB years) but it was louder for sure. and it was the nicest as well.

my dad has been to Metlife and said its nice but just really big and plain. nothing much there

from where I've been : 1. Gillette 2. Tampa 3. Miami

Traffic wise: 1. Tampa 2. Gillette 3. Miami (its god awful, im not kidding)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Every time I've come into town for a game I've stayed in Providence. It's an easier drive to the stadium than from Boston. Only a Globe idiot wouldn't know that many out of town fans stay there.

As for public trans... I used to take Amtrak from Syracuse to Buffalo for the Pats/Bills game every year but the train was cancelled due to problems with drunken fans. Fights, puking, you name it.

[/QUOTE]

I would think anyone coming in on a Saturday for a Sunday game would come thru Prov, enjoy the Prov restaurants (not much night life in Prov other than eating) and attend the game, and not even other with Boston. 

as one who has been a season ticket holder for a few decades now, and bringing kids to the game, I am one who applauds the cleaning up of the drunken crowd. does one have to go with the other however? do you need drunks for noise? can families make noise?

I also have a typo..meant to say public transportation and infrastructure...the road into Gillette is bad coming and leaving a game. Wider roads, more roads, bus lanes, easier parking all would be welcome. I know Amtrak does not go thru to the stadium...the T is an option however 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    The train from Providence to the stadium, with stops along the way in Attleboro, Mansfield and a couple of others, is not at all like what you described as to the Syracuse/Buffalo train.  Going to the game by way of train is quite comfortable, and even on the return trip after the games, having won or lost, I've never witnessed any unruly behavior.  And, I believe the ticket price is still only $15 round-trip.  A lot less than parking fees, I might add.  And compared to the $51. ticket charged for the mandated train transportation from NYC to the Meadowlands for the Super Bowl, the Gillette gameday train is a great deal. 

Not to mention there are no traffic problems that may cause hours of delay in returning home.  Parking at the train stations is reasonable as well.  In Attleboro there is on-street (free) parking close by and next to the train station is a very large pay-for-parking lot. ($2.00).

I rest my case.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Are Boston hotels and convention center too overcrowded in February?  Special train schedule and luxury busses wouldn't work?

If Indy can host the Superbowl then Boston can host the SB and the Final Four at the same time.

It's just the game is played in the elements

If you can play outside in New Jersey, you can play outside in Massachusetts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

There has been some discussion regarding the closing of the open end at Gillette yes? That may turn up the sound level a bit.

Some of the reduction is the clientele, and by design. Before Kraft bought the team, if you brought your kid's to the game, if they hadn't heard swearing they would be able to swear like Sailors on shore leave after the game. It was a rowdy crowd to say the least. Didn't the Pats get banned from MNF after a rather crazy game and post game donnybrook?

One of the first things Kraft addressed was this would change, and rightly so.

And I do give Kraft credit for funding up his own stadium. Imagine being a Taxpayer who state used your money to fund a stadium only to read that Goodell made 42 Million per...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

My only problem with Gillette is, as others have indicated, traffic and parking.  I happen to think Gillette is quite a nice venue otherwise.

I am of the opinion that writers often throw something into print simply to generate controversy and this is just such a piece.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There has been some discussion regarding the closing of the open end at Gillette yes? That may turn up the sound level a bit.

Some of the reduction is the clientele, and by design. Before Kraft bought the team, if you brought your kid's to the game, if they hadn't heard swearing they would be able to swear like Sailors on shore leave after the game. It was a rowdy crowd to say the least. Didn't the Pats get banned from MNF after a rather crazy game and post game donnybrook?

And I do give Kraft credit for funding up his own stadium. Imagine being a Taxpayer who state used your money to fund a stadium only to read that Goodell made 42 Million per...

[/QUOTE]

Especially those taxpayers that don't go to games or can't afford to go to games.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have always thought Boston fans to be very knowledgeable. why does making constant noise have to be paramount? Pats fans know when to make noise, and they do. Same at a C's game. Fenway gets a couple demerits however as they still do the wave :)  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My only problem with Gillette is, as others have indicated, traffic and parking.  I happen to think Gillette is quite a nice venue otherwise.

I am of the opinion that writers often throw something into print simply to generate controversy and this is just such a piece.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, for sure, how in heck could you even think of a SB there? What a MESS that would be.

SB games belong in the city, good roads, good public transportation, good hotels and the like.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, for sure, how in heck could you even think of a SB there? What a MESS that would be.

SB games belong in the city, good roads, good public transportation, good hotels and the like.

[/QUOTE]

And I may be in the minority here but I happen to believe that SBs also belong in either warm weather cities or domes.   Why?  IMO, the SB should be a showcase for the best football that the surviving teams can play and that can best be played in an environment where the climate is moderate to begin with or controlled indoors.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to OutofTownPATS Fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Metlife stadium doesnt kinda su  cks, it does. no character at all. just a billion dollar seating arrangement in the middle of a parking lot surounded by swamps.

Heinz field is kinda cool. few bars around the parking lots

[/QUOTE]

MetLife is an awesome Stadium.  Best in the NFL.  4 huge jumbotrons (one in each corner). The Stadium Club section is the best with a huge selection of Food and bars, no need to go out to your seats.  Great seating and plenty of top rate concessions throughout the venue.  You obviously had never been to NJ.  

Not to mention the easy access to the Stadium, being surrounded by 3 major roadways (NJ turnpike, Rt3 and Rt17)

wh1_5552-resize.jpg (1024×681)